Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Osmosisch posted:

No worries. For what it's worth the game is entirely completable and plenty fun (imo) without engaging with the gacha at all. Also, the region after the first generic fantasy Europe one is a massive improvement, especially if you're into Chinese themes. Might be worth revisiting.

If you want short power curves, I've been coming back to Gunfire Reborn a lot lately, numbers go up significantly within a run. There's metaprogression though which I know turns some people off.

I actually like metaprog for the same reason I like the other stuff we've talked about. At least when it's not taken too far stares balefully at UnderMine

Genshin I guess I'll have to reinstall, if the region after Fantasy Europe #627 is more interesting. We'll see how much the gacha annoys me by being shoved in my face

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I also just remembered that Hardspace: Shipbreaker exists, and there's a new ship and toys; and if ever there was a game about making numbers go up... or down... it's one about Crippling Debt :shepface:

In any case I think that's got me covered! At least until wandering attention span makes me want something new aga- ooh, shiny

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ciaphas posted:

I've spent most of my game time in Destiny 2 for a few weeks now (between bouts of Heroes of Hammerwatch, and other stuff), but I think I'm about done with the Bungie-ness of it all

Trying to find something new that scratches that same itch. Among the best I've played for itch-scratching, FF14 and WoW don't appeal anymore; Division 2 sort of does but I've already played the base campaign and the world left me feeling kinda bored and uninterested; and Path of Exile and Warframe are too much effort :v:

The common thread between these is plain old numbers-go-up, I guess, but I look at games like NGU Idle and blanch at the UI. As well, the numbers-go-up nature being so front and center is ironically off-putting.

ToME has scratched my WoW number go up/one more run/wacky character itch like none other.

I’ve even setup my keybindings like I had them in wow so I can hit a million hotkeys while still being on WASD

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What is ToME?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mayveena posted:

What is ToME?

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Vadun posted:

I'm looking for a dungeoncrawl that isn't turn based or real time with pause.

Megaman legends is the closest I can think of off the top of my head.

PS4, Switch or PC is fine

Hear me out here: FFXIV has procedurally generated dungeons, and you can jump into them very quickly after starting the game (like starting at level 10 or 15 I think)

They’re actually some of the fastest leveling content too, although they will completely ensmoothen your brain if you play them long enough

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

now that you say that, MHW is one of my usual itch-scratchers, too. I stopped playing last sometime shortly before Rabid Rajang and Barmy Brachydios were released, so I suspect by now I've missed quite a few hunts

The monkey can gently caress off, but Raging Brachy is one of the best fights in the game, especially solo.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I'm burnt out from work and now have a vacation so I'm looking for some fun, really well-paced games to play, a heavy emphasis on cutscenes would be nice to. A few weeks ago I played MGS 3 and that was so perfect. The gameplay is awesome, but I also like that it has lots of long cutscenes and codec calls so I can take a break and smoke weed while my girlfriend hears the dialogue and makes fun of it.

Not looking for anything big or open world, just quick blasts of fun and campiness that feel fresh for a good 6 to 20 hours. Resident Evil games definitely match what I'm looking for as well. I got a PC (and emulators) and a ps4. I probably am going to buy ff7 remake soon (I think that might be along the lines of what I'm looking for) but more stuff to check out and revisit would be awesome.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm burnt out from work and now have a vacation so I'm looking for some fun, really well-paced games to play, a heavy emphasis on cutscenes would be nice to. A few weeks ago I played MGS 3 and that was so perfect. The gameplay is awesome, but I also like that it has lots of long cutscenes and codec calls so I can take a break and smoke weed while my girlfriend hears the dialogue and makes fun of it.

Not looking for anything big or open world, just quick blasts of fun and campiness that feel fresh for a good 6 to 20 hours. Resident Evil games definitely match what I'm looking for as well. I got a PC (and emulators) and a ps4. I probably am going to buy ff7 remake soon (I think that might be along the lines of what I'm looking for) but more stuff to check out and revisit would be awesome.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Wonderful 101
Ace Combat 7
Hades

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yakuza games, especially 0
Soma
The Last of Us 1 and 2
Deus Ex HR and MD

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
With lockdowns and bad weather, we've exhausted everything else to do. So: anyone have recommendations for 2-player, 2-controller co-op or friendly competition games for PC and a single screen? (If I had more money, I'd go for a second-hand wii u and new super mario bros / mario cart, but I don't, so a decent PC will have to do).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Agricola Frigidus posted:

With lockdowns and bad weather, we've exhausted everything else to do. So: anyone have recommendations for 2-player, 2-controller co-op or friendly competition games for PC and a single screen? (If I had more money, I'd go for a second-hand wii u and new super mario bros / mario cart, but I don't, so a decent PC will have to do).

Streets of Rage 4
Jets 'n' Guns 2
PHOGS!
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Rayman Legends
as always, EDF 5

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

A Way Out, Rocket League and Nidhogg 2

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any story-focused jrpg-type games that also have 3 player co-op? Something like the tales of games would be perfect, except not a tales of game

Also english VA and cutscenes that are actual cutscenes instead of visual novel "here is a character body/portrait and text" type dialogue are very important

Note: the story does not have to be good. In fact, a bad story is arguably a selling point

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any story-focused jrpg-type games that also have 3 player co-op? Something like the tales of games would be perfect, except not a tales of game

Also english VA and cutscenes that are actual cutscenes instead of visual novel "here is a character body/portrait and text" type dialogue are very important

Note: the story does not have to be good. In fact, a bad story is arguably a selling point

does FFXIV count

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not unless 3 people can play it while all sitting on the same couch looking at the same tv

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

ninjewtsu posted:

Not unless 3 people can play it while all sitting on the same couch looking at the same tv

Have you looked at Full Metal Furies?

Some of the story is presented via pop up conversations, a lot of it is behind some minor puzzles or hidden paths.

Seems to fit all the other points perfectly though

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Stardew Valley just got a patch that added split screen

Also look into Nucleus Co-op, its a program that aims to add split screen to games that don't have it by running two instances of the game at once. Obviously your mileage may vary but there's a chance that a game is on the list of playable games that you want to play

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 23, 2020

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Onimusha: Warlords
Binary Domain
Metal Wolf Chaos XD

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

ninjewtsu posted:

Secret of Mana :haw:

e: that's actually only semi-sarcastic, apparently the re-releases kept the 3 player co-op system from the SNES original. SD3 / Trials of Mana only supports 2 players though. :(

Ceyton fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 24, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Long before the world ended there was a game on 3DS called Fantasy Life. I'm trying to find something similar to that on PC

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Long before the world ended there was a game on 3DS called Fantasy Life. I'm trying to find something similar to that on PC

I don't know if they scratch quite the same itch but maybe Stardew Valley or My Time at Portia?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Someone already beat me to EDF 5, but it owns

Renegade Ops on steam is a split screen top down shootemup but you drive cards with guns and complete missions for two people, has a little story and cool art

Helldivers
on steam is a split screen (really everyone shares the same screenspace) top down shootemup as cartoony space marines fighting different types of aliens on randomly generated missions. Missions and difficulty can range from chill and easy to ball buster hard. Includes lots of cool special call downs like big chaingun mechs and plenty to friendly fire.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

I don't know if they scratch quite the same itch but maybe Stardew Valley or My Time at Portia?

Stardew isn't quite it, but I might have to take a second look at My Time at Portia

I remember playing it for a couple hours and then getting bored/distracted, but not why

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think a perfect match exists. Littlewood is a little bit closer to it than Stardew because you level up your individual skills.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Rune Factory 4 is probably the closest you're going to get, it can be played on a 3DS emulator if PC is a must, or on Switch

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

GodspeedSphere posted:

Looking for a game I can play one handed. Not because I'm a sex pervert, but because I have a toddler that can't sleep unless he has skin to skin contact and god loving forbid I move my arm for one second. Currently I'm doing Slay the Spire and getting to the point where I have to do more math than I prefer. Slower strategic games are preferred because I'm too fired for schmups and poo poo like that.

old post, but if Etrian Odyssey-style games are your jam at all, Starcrawlers can be played basically entirely with a mouse.

on that note, are there any other turn-based, ideally party based, dungeon crawlers similar to Starcrawlers/Etrian Odyssey. I know Grimrock exists, but it's not turn-based and seems more focused on the puzzley bits than the making cool combos and killing lots of mans. i picked up some game called Vaporum that seems like it's going to be similar to that, except not even party based.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There's the Persona Q games, they're basically more Etrian, if easier.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
It might seem crazy but the latest turn based Battletech (with all DLCs) is totally playable with just a mouse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cracker King posted:

It might seem crazy but the latest turn based Battletech (with all DLCs) is totally playable with just a mouse.
HBS Battletech is also just a fantastic game in general.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Cracker King posted:

To be clear, you do not need dlcs to enable mouse control in anyway. They are a good bargain on sale though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PMush Perfect posted:

HBS Battletech is also just a fantastic game in general.

I have heard it's difficult and I am a wuss about difficulty. I loved XCOM but I had zero compunction about savescumming when a favorite soldier died or I missed a 90% shot that I really needed to make. Can you similarly savescum difficult situations in Battletech? Some games make you restart the whole level or something.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You have to restart the level, but it is, or can be with the right settings, a ton more forgiving than xcom. I think you can even turn off perma death for your pilots?

If you are into tactical games at all I'm sure you won't regret it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pharnakes posted:

You have to restart the level, but it is, or can be with the right settings, a ton more forgiving than xcom. I think you can even turn off perma death for your pilots?

Dealing with missing a 90% shot and adapting to the changing situation is part of the game. Fortunately, Battletech does have an option to, at any time, select "abandon mission", as long as it isn't a main plot one, and your dudes will just bail. It'll piss off the client if you do it too early in the mission, but if you're surrounded and kind of screwed, it's a lifesaver. And there are indeed difficulty settings, including a save-anytime option, and the ability to turn off pilot permadeath. (Fair warning, mid-mission saving is kinda buggy, and overusing it could screw something up way worse than a bad mission could. Usually better to either save before the mission, or just take it on the chin and adapt.)

This will also be helpful.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 26, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pharnakes posted:

Don't skimp on rear armor because that is when an enemy lance spawning into the middle of your lance will be at it's worst.

This was also my insane moon logic justification for putting small lasers on a catapult. "oh, an orion spawned inside our lance while the rest of the enemy group spawned in the distance? Okay pull a 180 DFA... and your baby small laser cooked off their ammo after you stomped open their gun, worth the leg damage every time." Every time I was about to make my missile bots more traditional glass mass fire builds, I found myself very glad I didn't just due to my terrible luck with such things.

Normally the game behaves itself about that sort of thing, at least.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Battletech has customizable options regarding difficulty. So feel free to decrease the amount of salvage needed build a mech or make enemies not as powerful.

In my opinion, having over 200 hours, just skip the campaign.

The DLC fleshes out all the fun mechanics and are on sale often.

You’re a manager of a mercenary company.

It might take a bit in the beginning to get used to how the battle system works.

But soon you’ll be glad you can play a ‘serious’ game with just a mouse.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Can someone recommend me a game in which the dual-wielding feels super good & unique compared to sword & shield/2-handed? Preferably melee-based.

Any genre is OK, PC only please. A bad example is AC Valhalla, even though there's a skill giving you the ability to dual wield big weapons, you literally attack alternatively when dual wielding, unless if you dual wield the same weapons only.

srulz fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cracker King posted:

Battletech has customizable options regarding difficulty. So feel free to decrease the amount of salvage needed build a mech or make enemies not as powerful.

Do any of the options make pilots less critically valuable? IMHO, the skills they gained like Bulwark were so critical that if they died, I had might as well reload because it didn't matter how good my mech was.

Maybe I just don't like HBS games. I've been kinda down on all 3 I've played despite being a fan of both franchises.