Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jakabite posted:

How can he stand there and acknowledge that tier 3 is factually not enough to stop or slow the spread then not move the whole country into tier 4??

That would be an admission that the tier system has failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

stev posted:

They can just keep adding tiers.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

stev posted:

He just admitted that though! That’s the weird thing

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

stev posted:

So is there any reason they aren't coming into effect tomorrow other than 'we don't want the press of ruining Christmas twice in one week'?

Yes it's this

Jakabite posted:

He said at the start that the Tier system was (apparently) working in the north (please don't look at the places in the north also going into Tier 4).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

They can just keep adding tiers.

As well really that they started at tier 1, otherwise we would be in S+++ tier by february.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We're going to be in s*** tier by February regardless of what they call it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jakabite posted:

It's our old friend the politically convenient new strain of the virus!

quote:

The old tiering system is not enough to control the new strain of the virus, the health secretary said.
Hancock said “We know that the three-tiered system worked to control the old variant and is working now in large parts of the country especially in northern England.

“But we also know that Tier 3 is not enough to control the new variant. This is not our hypothesis, it is a fact and we have seen it on the ground.

“We’ve seen case rates rise in some of the places close to where the current Tier 4 restrictions are in places like East Anglia where we are seeing a significant number of the new variant and we’ve seen case rates rise sharply.

“It is therefore necessary to put more of the East and South East of England into Tier 4.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Darn if it weren't for the new strain, things would otherwise be going swimmingly. Alas.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Guavanaut posted:

We're going to be in s*** tier by February regardless of what they call it.

This will unlock the hidden ending of the UK

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pictured: Tier 3 containing the virus

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So with death rates being as far as I can tell strongly related to hospitals getting overloaded, are we close to the point where deaths rocket into the stratosphere because there’s no room in hospitals?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

We're at the same levels of covid patient hospitalisation as April, so yes pretty drat near

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ffs the colour scheme here man

https://twitter.com/JoshHalliday/status/1341764180140056580?s=20

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Matt Hancock to journalist: "you're so tempting"

that was extremely uncomfortable

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Getting towards to part of the year where the NHS traditionally takes a kicking anyway doesn't help either

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hancock said he was certain it'll be over by 2022.
So 2025 it is then

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Get ready to hear lots of this

quote:

Hancock stresses there is a “personal responsibility” for the public and them minimising contact over the Christmas period.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Close the fffffffffffucking schools and offices

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

stev posted:

Tier 3 has actually been pretty effective in West Yorkshire at least, every area is now under 170 cases per 100,000, some significantly so. Even Bradford which was at over 600 mid-November is at 163 as of last week. It’s only failed in how slow the government has been at reacting to changes (most specifically in London and the South East)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Hancock said he was certain it'll be over by 2022.
So 2025 it is then

I thought it was going to be over by Christmas, Boris said so himself

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
And its now NOT the UK variant.
Its NOW the SOUTH AFRICAN variant.
Got it!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Oh dear me posted:

There are better ways to increase rail capacity, in ways that would do more to regenerate northern and midlands towns, like rehabilitating the lines that were cut by Beeching; but they would not be high speed.

We are doing that a lot. In some cases it's reopening to passenger services lines currently only open to freight, in other cases it's re-laying track through what is railway land that people have conveniently extended their back gardens into over the past 40 years. Design standards have changed massively and it's not just the curve radii that cause you problems.
But to get people to shift off the roads you need convenient long distance journeys on rail, which means minimal changes between trains, which means the trains have to do more than ricochet between two adjacent stations. For a train to get from say Lincoln to Birmingham you have to cross the East Coast Main Line at Newark, the Midlands Main Line at Long Eaton, the Cross Country route at Derby and then you've to fight your way into Birmingham with about 90 other train services.
All of that congestion would be reduced by HS2. Taking traffic off the network, particularly long distance high speed traffic, and moving it onto an entirely new route opens up opportunities to run other services.

That said, 100 billion could be spent very well by grade separating Newark, diving under Long Eaton, plain lining Derby and double deckering Birmingham New Street, then doing a similar thing for every other major rail intersection North of London and South of Leeds. But that's never been on offer. If you offer most politicians the choice, they'd rather have a single 100 foot high statue of themselves than one hundred 1 foot high statues.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Got it!

May be too late for that

https://twitter.com/codendahl/status/1341396778365710337?s=21

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Noxville posted:

Tier 3 has actually been pretty effective in West Yorkshire at least, every area is now under 170 cases per 100,000, some significantly so. Even Bradford which was at over 600 mid-November is at 163 as of last week. It’s only failed in how slow the government has been at reacting to changes (most specifically in London and the South East)

Half of the period you're referring to wasn't Tier 3 restrictions, it was November lockdown which is the small downward slope on that graph I posted. As soon as they stop using the word lockdown and go back to numbered tiers, fewer people take it seriously.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

happyhippy posted:

Got it!

This is another variant altogether. They've only tracked 2 cases of it in the UK

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
just preserving it for posterity

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1341773708919189505

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tarnop posted:

This is another variant altogether. They've only tracked 2 cases of it in the UK

I stand corrected. Thought from the way they were talking about it trying to claim the first one came from elsewhere

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So it seems my little sister who is a rabid anti masker and been on all the marches has decided to go home from tier four London to tier one cornwall where my 83 old grandad is in a support bubble with my mother. I'm being told not to rock the boat, literally pulling my hair out now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MonkeyLibFront posted:

So it seems my little sister who is a rabid anti masker and been on all the marches has decided to go home from tier four London to tier one cornwall where my 83 old grandad is in a support bubble with my mother. I'm being told not to rock the boat, literally pulling my hair out now.

Rock that boat.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Same energy

https://twitter.com/FergusCraig/status/1334446455432613888

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

If you ever need to explain the British media to anyone just compare whatever left wing hate fest that's going on to the utter silence of Matt Handcock standing far too close to a woman with an obvious erection.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Rock that boat.

I do all the time, then she says I'm bullying, I point out that he's 83, she says it's no more harm than the flu, I said he has asthma so is in the really high risk percentile, then my mum gives me a ring asking me to stop being antagonistic.

Sorry for the E/N

But if anything happens to him I'll probably kill her.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 23, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you ever need to explain the British media to anyone just compare whatever left wing hate fest that's going on to the utter silence of Matt Handcock standing far too close to a woman with an obvious erection.

Seems like maybe she brushes it with the back of her hand before moving her bag in as a cock-block. Very weird!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I do all the time, then she says I'm bullying, I point out that he's 83, she says it's no more harm than the flu, I said he has asthma so is in the really high risk percentile, then my mum gives me a ring asking me to stop being antagonistic.

Sorry for the E/N

But if anything happens to him I'll probably kill her.

I rocked the boat and now don't talk to my brother anymore.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
even if Covid was no more harm than the flu (which is demonstrably untrue) the flu is still pretty loving dangerous for an 83-year-old :psyduck:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Looking forwards to more turbocharged entrepreneuring like this after brexit. Britain: The birthplace of the spitfire, radar, pork scratchings and Covid20.
Covid19 was getting passé anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

even if Covid was no more harm than the flu (which is demonstrably untrue) the flu is still pretty loving dangerous for an 83-year-old :psyduck:

Problem is, too many people call a heavy cold 'flu' so they think they've had real flu but they haven't.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Miftan posted:

Did you knock him overboard?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Miftan posted:

It's no skin off my nose if I never talk to her tbh, mum's so blazé about it, I wouldn't care if she thought the world was flat but she's literally spent the last 3 months hanging about with anti Vaxers.

Julio Cruz posted:

Exactly and as said before people pass of a bad cold as the flu when it really isn't.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Post not edit