Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

lilljonas posted:

I've seen so many facebook discussions on this product derailing with arguments about scale. Both which scale the minis will actually be, and grogs complaining about grogs playing with other scales. The first could have been handled better by Warlord by being very clear about exact sizes, the second is just grogs being grogs.

So I'm not insane, and Warlord hasn't even announced what scale the models are in yet? I'm just curious, yet if Warlord isn't even telling people what the scale is yet for proprietary reasons or somesuch nonsense I find that hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Devlan Mud posted:

So I'm not insane, and Warlord hasn't even announced what scale the models are in yet? I'm just curious, yet if Warlord isn't even telling people what the scale is yet for proprietary reasons or somesuch nonsense I find that hilarious.

It's worse, there's a public post that it's "15mm" and there are facebook posts from Warlord employees saying it's "true scale 15mm, so 13.5 mm to the eyes". Those things are not necessarily the same, so people are debating back and forth without knowing for sure.

E:

vs

My money's on "pretty close to the smallest 15mm minis on the market, not the big semi-18mm that has become popular".

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 21, 2020

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
To be fair it probably doesn't really matter if you are getting 3400 minis for 90 quid. You probably aren't going to need to mix them with other ranges. Judging by the photos there's gonna be other releases like zouaves and cavalry to match. If it was Napoleonics this could definitely be a big issue, but on the other hand I wouldn't be shocked if that's their next foray.
Also as you say, 15mm is a wild figure 'scale' as there are very few manufacturers who's models actually match other manufacturers sizes.

As for the Victrix scale, I bought some and they match almost perfectly (albeit more slender and realistically proportioned) with Pendraken.
Who are 10mm.
Pendraken also match perfectly with Minifigs, who call themselves 12mm so...

So lol probably best not get too caught up on what manufacturers call their products, scale wise and wait to see comparison shots.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 21, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

To be fair it probably doesn't really matter if you are getting 3400 minis for 90 quid. You probably aren't going to need to mix them with other ranges. Judging by the photos there's gonna be other releases like zouaves and cavalry to match. If it was Napoleonics this could definitely be a big issue, but on the other hand I wouldn't be shocked if that's their next foray.
Also as you say, 15mm is a wild figure 'scale' as there are very few manufacturers who's models actually match other manufacturers sizes.

As for the Victrix scale, I bought some and they match almost perfectly (albeit more slender and realistically proportioned) with Pendraken.
Who are 10mm.

So lol probably best not get too caught up on what manufacturers call their products, scale wise and wait to see comparison shots.

Yeah that's my view as well, ACW is so self-contained and limited in unit types that you can just get a bunch of cheap plastics in these boxes and be pretty much set for large battles.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Devlan Mud posted:

Warlord's website is obtuse as hell and the store pages only have them listed as "Epic Battles Scale" ( :rolleyes: cmon man), so what the heck is that scale? 15mm? 12mm?

I need a new game to not play with anyone like I need a kick in the teeth but I've always wanted to collect ACW stuff and this seems fairly economical at least.

Yeah, they buried the official scale announcement (13.5 to the eyes, technically 15mm) deep in the loving website, I almost went insane looking for it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've ordered the WI with the free sprues to see how they look, but I've been wanting to do small scale ACW for a while.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Edit- the site says

quote:

Additionally, you’ll also receive the Glory Hallelujah! Black Powder supplement signed by the author. This book describes the history, armies, key leaders, doctrine and tactics of the American Civil War, and includes a comprehensive set of army lists and optional rules for recreating the battles of that war in miniature. To claim a signed copy of this book, your pre-order must be made before Sunday 27 December.

What size battle can you fight with 15 regiments and cannon? Is that about one Corps or a Division?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 21, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Are these new rule versions of the Black Powder ACW rules or the same ones?

From what I gather it's a semi-new ruleset which is based on Black Powder but altered to be more suitable for larger games. But they haven't released a preview yet.

E: ok so Wargames Illustrated posted pics of the new plastic "15mm" and Kallistra's "12mm" and they're really close,

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 21, 2020

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

lilljonas posted:

It's worse, there's a public post that it's "15mm" and there are facebook posts from Warlord employees saying it's "true scale 15mm, so 13.5 mm to the eyes". Those things are not necessarily the same, so people are debating back and forth without knowing for sure.

E:

vs

My money's on "pretty close to the smallest 15mm minis on the market, not the big semi-18mm that has become popular".

JcDent posted:

Yeah, they buried the official scale announcement (13.5 to the eyes, technically 15mm) deep in the loving website, I almost went insane looking for it.

Thanks! I've deleted all my social media and went rooting around their website for more info and couldn't find anything pertinent, so I'm glad I'm not just crazy and instead it's warlord that is crazy. Probably more likely that I use a different ruleset than I try and mix and match different ranges (assuming I buy in and actually work on models, which these days is a very huge if), but it's good info to know.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Thanks! I've deleted all my social media and went rooting around their website for more info and couldn't find anything pertinent, so I'm glad I'm not just crazy and instead it's warlord that is crazy. Probably more likely that I use a different ruleset than I try and mix and match different ranges (assuming I buy in and actually work on models, which these days is a very huge if), but it's good info to know.

I mean it's still a very affordable way to get the bulk of two pretty big armies, so it's a pretty good deal even if you're not going to use them for the rules attached with the box. And when it comes to painting I think you could paint these fast as hell, just prime them blue vs grey, pick out skin colour and some browns or whatever to get some variation, and then wash them. Go back and make a highlight by re-applying the original colour if you care. It looks like many minis, but since they're all arranged in rows you can probably paint a base in about the same time that you paint a single 28mm mini.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 21, 2020

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Comstar posted:

Edit- the site says

What size battle can you fight with 15 regiments and cannon? Is that about one Corps or a Division?

15 regiments would be ~four brigades, around the size of a division.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Alternatively, many small Sharp Practice armies!

(how many 15mm dudes would you need to achieve 1:1 for SP?)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JcDent posted:

Alternatively, many small Sharp Practice armies!

(how many 15mm dudes would you need to achieve 1:1 for SP?)

1500 a side for 1:1 is like four smaller regiments lol, it'd be hard I think to do that for SP

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The way they're organised there, 100 miniatures is "five bases". Still worth getting, but not quite as flexible as I had hoped.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

muggins posted:

15 regiments would be ~four brigades, around the size of a division.

If you went 1:1 ratio, how big a unit in ACW terms is it? A regiment?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

That's like 2 fresh-ish regiments or a fairly damaged brigade

JcDent
May 13, 2013

muggins posted:

1500 a side for 1:1 is like four smaller regiments lol, it'd be hard I think to do that for SP

Wait, so how many lads does a single 28mm man represent in SP?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Comstar posted:

Regulation size regiments in ACW were 10 companies of 100 men or 1,000 men, but after fighting really hit in 1862 on most regiments were ~ 300-500 men total for the duration of the war.

JcDent posted:

Just one. If you wanted to you could do ratios but to me the game is best when its just playing like you're in a Sharpe movie, or ACW miniseries like Blue and the Gray / North and South. Just small skirmishes, raids, etc.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

muggins posted:

Regulation size regiments in ACW were 10 companies of 100 men or 1,000 men,
I am for the first time ever interested in ACW wargaming.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

It's not really very defined. Some people play it as 1:1 skirmishes, as muggins mentioned. We've played it so that a formation (so think 2-4 groups of 8 miniatures each) is a company, so around 80-120 men.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

It's not really very defined. Some people play it as 1:1 skirmishes, as muggins mentioned. We've played it so that a formation (so think 2-4 groups of 8 miniatures each) is a company, so around 80-120 men.

Well, the question there is, would Napoleonic skirmishes between line troops just mugging about and running into each other involve them doing ranks even in squad (~10 dudes) size groups?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

lilljonas posted:

From what I gather it's a semi-new ruleset which is based on Black Powder but altered to be more suitable for larger games. But they haven't released a preview yet.

E: ok so Wargames Illustrated posted pics of the new plastic "15mm" and Kallistra's "12mm" and they're really close,

The other annoying shite is how they're defining this weird resiny goop as "plastic".

If Tamiya cement doesn't work on it, it's not plastic.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

tomdidiot posted:

The other annoying shite is how they're defining this weird resiny goop as "plastic".

If Tamiya cement doesn't work on it, it's not plastic.

I thought these would be proper hard plastic, not resin?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

lilljonas posted:

I thought these would be proper hard plastic, not resin?

are they left base or right base on that picture? If they're right base, my bad. If they're left base, that is defnitely not hard plastic.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think the ones on the left are actually metals

E: the fair goon what posted the picture said it was WG vs. Kallistra, and by cursory check, K. deals in single base metals. WG plastic seems to be the real deal.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 21, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

tomdidiot posted:

are they left base or right base on that picture? If they're right base, my bad. If they're left base, that is defnitely not hard plastic.

Yeah they are the right ones and I’m pretty sure they’re hard plastic.

E:
With no more bodies to convert, my Italian militia is getting some highlights. I'm going for a Milanese style colour scheme for them (white red and blue):

I also started painting the heavily armoured hobbits. And let's not beat around the bush: barefoot plate armour men-at-arms look both insane and insanely cute:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 21, 2020

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

lilljonas posted:

Yeah they are the right ones and I’m pretty sure they’re hard plastic.

Fair. They do look good

The scale is infuriating though. I know 15mm is all over the place in terms of size, but a 13.5mm thingy is really just silly. It almost seems like it’s an attempt to edge out the competition by forcing you to have a warlord only army.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yet another advantage of 3d printed armies! I just scaled them however I wanted lol. They're 10mm from the ground to the eye though, not sure how they stands up to some "real" 10mm commercial sculpts but they look bigger than my 6mms and smaller than my 15mms, so it works out. Plus they're so cheap I'm just printing multiple armies out so it's whatever.

Bases still haven't come (FedEx :argh:), hopefully tomorrow.

Side note though, I've never used ink before. I bought some quickshade dark tone and dipped a stand the first time, then lightly brushed on the next time because the dip was way too heavy. On the 10mms it still seems kinda thick. Should I thin it in some way? It's also pretty glossy which I wasn't crazy about but the more I look at it the more I like it. Any advice for this stuff for small scales?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

:sickos:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

OK, so what could this be? I don't recognize the rifle, and wikiing it, it's not the Baker, so the green sprue doesn't mean Napoleonic Rifles.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I’m 90% sure it’s the reworked British ww2 infantry sprue and the rifle in the logo is unrelated.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Got my free sprue of the Warlord Epic Battles ACW. Impressive sculpts and detail but size wise they are definitely in a weird place. Way too big for Pendraken /Minifigs 10/12 mm and a tad too small for 15mm.

I still don't see it as an issue because they just announced today cavalry, caravans, skirmishers, zouaves etc. I'm buying in for sure on the strength of these freebies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The starter box looks amazing for this stuff. https://store.warlordgames.com/products/epic-battles-american-civil-war

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm intrigued as to the rules. My assumption is that they are going to use BP 2nd Ed as is with the Glory Glory Hallelujah expansion but it seems to me the unit frontages are going to be huge at 300mm. That's bigger than 28mm recommendations

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Serotonin posted:

I still don't see it as an issue because they just announced today cavalry, caravans, skirmishers, zouaves etc. I'm buying in for sure on the strength of these freebies.

Where is the announcement? I can't find it, just a single picture and the teaser video from a few days ago.

Also, there are SO MUCH WHINING about this system. It's too big (15mm is not 10)! It's too small (15mm is not 18)! I don't like the hats! There should be more hats! I don't like how they only have 1 pose! I don't like how its 9 pounder guns! I don't like how its 10 men per strip! How dare they make a new system and not yet finish the entirety of WW2 armies from 1939 to 1945! I don't like that era! I already have a 2mm/6mm/10mm/15mm/18mm/25mm/28m/32mm/54mm army! Why aren't you concentrating on MY era whine whine whine.

So many people seems...personally insulted by it. I have never seen so many negative comments about a games system so petty that can be fixed by either buying other figures from dozens of other manufacturers or rule sets, just re-modeling them yourself or waiting a month or two for more figures to be announced (most of which are IN the teaser trailer!).

Now I haven't got into Warlord's games at all beyond having a boxed Waterloo set I have not opened, I guess if you've been burnt into buying a system and not seeing it supported will do that.

I do hope the rules are...adjusted a bit. I've never played Black Powder but the Napoleonic rules seem...a bit disjointed to read. I got a $10 pound voucher for getting the pre-order set and I used to the Waterloo rules in PDF...and boy could they use a better layout, structure and editor. Reminds me of OD&D by Gygax.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2020

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Comstar posted:

Where is the announcement? I can't find it, just a single picture and the teaser video from a few days ago.

Email newsletter.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Got my free sprue of the Warlord Epic Battles ACW. Impressive sculpts and detail but size wise they are definitely in a weird place. Way too big for Pendraken /Minifigs 10/12 mm and a tad too small for 15mm.

How good/bad is the magazine?

I have been debating ordering one just for the ACW figures.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

How good/bad is the magazine?

I have been debating ordering one just for the ACW figures.

If you're looking for something with pretty pictures of miniatures, current events in the wargaming scene, and some tutorials on how to do this or that it's pretty good. Don't expect any hard-hitting reviews or investigative journalism out of it though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

High confidence in a company that misspells "zouaves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

This is what happens when you make your whole social media team redundant