Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jakabite posted:

are we close to the point where deaths rocket into the stratosphere because there’s no room in hospitals?

I really recommend the Zoe Covid app because you can read the full report they send to government, and it shows some interesting things. For example the age breakdown shows a much bigger rise in people in their 40s than in previous surges. I think mortality doesn't really start to tick up until the 50s, but I guess any spread upwards in age range is alarming.

And the prevalence rate per 100000 is even higher in Kent and Medway (991) than in London (959), which is huge compared with Cornwall (65).

E: the rate of symptomatic Covid per 100000 exceeds 134 in all age groups except the 70-somethings.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

DesperateDan posted:

New Vegas is an absolutely fantastic game that I have now played too many times- even after not playing for years it's still too familiar

Fallout 4 I played at release and didn't enjoy much, but I got the dlc and a few mods and gave it a go during lockdown and it's a lot better with them- it doesn't change the main story but a bit like skyrim the enjoyment is in exploring, fighting and ignoring the plot

The concept of obsidian being allowed enough time to properly develop another fallout game is pretty exciting- new vegas had a lot of plot/content that was cut due to being rushed out

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Moonwolf posted:

Did you knock him overboard?

I wish.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

It's no skin off my nose if I never talk to her tbh, mum's so blazé about it, I wouldn't care if she thought the world was flat but she's literally spent the last 3 months hanging about with anti Vaxers.

We've settled on my parents almost crying because they want us to get along and me completely ignoring him instead of the ranting and swearing from before.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MonkeyLibFront posted:

So it seems my little sister who is a rabid anti masker and been on all the marches has decided to go home from tier four London to tier one cornwall where my 83 old grandad is in a support bubble with my mother. I'm being told not to rock the boat, literally pulling my hair out now.

What does the grandad think of this?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Is Obsidian making another Fallout???

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Miftan posted:

Is Obsidian making another Fallout???

Both owned by Microsoft now, so it’s possible but I’m just joking about the concept of them going back to Obsidian again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

Tier 4's for basically the entirety of South East England from Boxing Day

TBH I thought that was already the case.

If not, it shows the utter stupidity of doing it even by areas as large as nations, but certainly as small as local authorities. I'm willing to bet every single settlement of more than a hundred people within 50 miles of Charing Cross has at least one person who's travelled into London in the last two weeks, and given people commute into London from as far away as loving *Devon* I'd imagine that nobody on the mainland of Great Britain is more than 2 degrees of separation from someone in London; the idea that Cambridgeshire (the first local authority I could see currently in Tier 2) would somehow miraculously avoid infection is either staggering incompetence or the purest malice.

You'd think a government that puts so much stead in "behavioural insight" would realise all that you do with this piecemeal poo poo is *accelerate* the spread to lower-tier areas by both encouraging people with the opportunity to do so to move to lower tier areas (and how many people in London do you think have families outside of London? Willing to bet it's in the millions), and also engenders a false sense of security in those lower tier areas. Actual roadblocks and checkpoints between areas are the only thing that would stop this.

Also nobody seems to give a poo poo about "Tier 4" in London. Masks are getting less prevalent in shops (big, big fan of the woman who took hers off to have an incredibly loud phone conversation in front of me in the queue this morning), I saw a couple of packed buses heading towards Canary Wharf, and although the shops are mostly closed there's still an awful lot of people out and about (admittedly I was one of them, albeit combining exercise and essential shopping by walking loving miles to pick up some cat food). Apart from the cafes going back to takeaway only it doesn't really feel that much different than Tier 2 did.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Article on Sweden's covid response and how they are about the world's worst now in terms of deaths / million.
Apparently Norway has put in armed border guards to prevent people coming from Sweden.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/12/22/sweden-coronavirus-covid-response/

Make your sister read it.
All these people who say masking etc doesn't work and just don't seem to get how much worse things would be without it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 23, 2020

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Necrothatcher posted:

What does the grandad think of this?

He knows she skeptical of it all but I don't think he knows about her mixing with the Phil Shiner crowd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd imagine that nobody on the mainland of Great Britain is more than 2 degrees of separation from someone in London
This sounds like the basis of a 'careless talk costs lives' style propaganda poster where London is the enemy.

I guess careless talk does cost lives at the moment, but it's not the words.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Article on Sweden's covid response and how they are about the world's worst now in terms of deaths / million.
Apparently Norway has putted armed border guards to prevent people coming from Sweden.

All these people who say masking etc doesn't work and just don't seem to get how much worse things would be without it.
Someone do this but with Scale of Covid Fuckup on the Y-axis.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Apologies if it's been pointed out already, but Blair is chatting poo poo and the press aren't pointing out the glaring error. The Pfizer vaccine isn't 90% effective after the first dose and 95% after the second, it's 90% after the second and 95% a week later. It's actually only 52% effective after the first dose: https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The%20study%2C%20published%20in%20the,cases%20in%20the%20placebo%20group.
So no, Tony, that would be a spectacularly poo poo idea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

Apologies if it's been pointed out already, but Blair is chatting poo poo and the press aren't pointing out the glaring error. The Pfizer vaccine isn't 90% effective after the first dose and 95% after the second, it's 90% after the second and 95% a week later. It's actually only 52% effective after the first dose: https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The%20study%2C%20published%20in%20the,cases%20in%20the%20placebo%20group.

Thanks for the updated info!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

Tony, that would be a spectacularly poo poo idea.
That's the title of his biography.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MonkeyLibFront posted:

He knows she skeptical of it all but I don't think he knows about her mixing with the Phil Shiner crowd.

Call him and tell him. I mean it could be literally his life on the line. He should know what's going on.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
any other HSBC account-holders recently get a letter from them with a cheque attached?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Necrothatcher posted:

Call him and tell him. I mean it could be literally his life on the line. He should know what's going on.

Yeah I will be , just need to get past mum on the phone

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1341788926189711365

WHERE DO I GET THAT JUMPER??????

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Yeah I will be , just need to get past mum on the phone
You mean you just want to say merry Christmas to him because you've not talked in so long.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lungboy posted:

Oof 52% is much worse than I thought it would be. The one dose idea can get in the bin.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Mourning Due posted:

I went and doorknocked with the local party in our new neighbourhood. loving dreadful experience. First the official emails had two different meeting points, so half the people went to the wrong place. Then they wasted like 30 minutes just nattering about previous elections. When we went knocking it was immediately "Hello my name is Brian oval office from you local Labour party, how do you feel about issue X? Ok, how do you feel about issue Y? Ok, how do you feel about issue Z?" without any follow-up or commentary on "this is how the Labour manifesto will help someone who feels like you". To top it all off, at the end we had a big "we did what we can but it's hopeless because of Corbyn" session at the end.

In the end the Tories increased their share in our area. Big surprise. Never again.

Doorknocking really didn't seem like the answer, especially first thing on a Sunday morning, most people seemed hung over and pissed off at having someone bother them at home. I kept thinking, maybe we should be in the parking lot of a big grocery store or in a mall or something, somewhere that we could be doing little social good deeds like helping people carry their groceries, in return for listening our rhetoric. Showing people "hey this is what society could be like, people helping people, instead of just helping themselves".

Not now though, bloody Kiev Abstarmer's useless. I've said since the beginning: I'm all about policies. If he came with the exact manifesto that Corbyn did, I'd back him in a second. But I've got no idea what the man stands for (other than purges), so how can I support him?

I signed up with Momentum to help at a localish marginal for seven full-time days in a row including election day. The difference between the Momentum activists and the local Labour party was very stark.

Has one local Labour councilor use an ethnic slur and another local labour supporter start swearing at someone on the doorstep. The Momentum people were engaged and active.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

any other HSBC account-holders recently get a letter from them with a cheque attached?

I didn't but I've seen a few things recently about them offering people compensation for poo poo customer service after getting in trouble with the regulator. Could be related to that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saros posted:

Oof 52% is much worse than I thought it would be. The one dose idea can get in the bin.
Yeah there is sometimes merit to vaccinating more people with a lower efficacy vaccine, but based on this simulation of the novel coronavirus, for a 52% vaccine, coverage would need to be about 125% of the population, so great idea Tone.

quote:

Simulation experiments revealed that to prevent an epidemic (reduce the peak by >99%), the vaccine efficacy has to be at least 60% when vaccination coverage is 100% (reproduction number=2.5–3.5). This vaccine efficacy threshold rises to 70% when coverage drops to 75% and up to 80% when coverage drops to 60% when reproduction number is 2.5, rising to 80% when coverage drops to 75% when the reproduction number is 3.5. To extinguish an ongoing epidemic, the vaccine efficacy has to be at least 60% when coverage is 100% and at least 80% when coverage drops to 75% to reduce the peak by 85%–86%, 61%–62%, and 32% when vaccination occurs after 5%, 15%, and 30% of the population, respectively, have already been exposed to COVID-19 coronavirus. A vaccine with an efficacy between 60% and 80% could still obviate the need for other measures under certain circumstances such as much higher, and in some cases, potentially unachievable, vaccination coverages.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Norway has putted armed border guards to prevent people coming from Sweden.

Anders tegnell is also advising the British government now

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

WHERE DO I GET THAT JUMPER??????

From that man

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I thought that was already the case.

If not, it shows the utter stupidity of doing it even by areas as large as nations, but certainly as small as local authorities. I'm willing to bet every single settlement of more than a hundred people within 50 miles of Charing Cross has at least one person who's travelled into London in the last two weeks, and given people commute into London from as far away as loving *Devon* I'd imagine that nobody on the mainland of Great Britain is more than 2 degrees of separation from someone in London; the idea that Cambridgeshire (the first local authority I could see currently in Tier 2) would somehow miraculously avoid infection is either staggering incompetence or the purest malice.

You'd think a government that puts so much stead in "behavioural insight" would realise all that you do with this piecemeal poo poo is *accelerate* the spread to lower-tier areas by both encouraging people with the opportunity to do so to move to lower tier areas (and how many people in London do you think have families outside of London? Willing to bet it's in the millions), and also engenders a false sense of security in those lower tier areas. Actual roadblocks and checkpoints between areas are the only thing that would stop this.

Also nobody seems to give a poo poo about "Tier 4" in London. Masks are getting less prevalent in shops (big, big fan of the woman who took hers off to have an incredibly loud phone conversation in front of me in the queue this morning), I saw a couple of packed buses heading towards Canary Wharf, and although the shops are mostly closed there's still an awful lot of people out and about (admittedly I was one of them, albeit combining exercise and essential shopping by walking loving miles to pick up some cat food). Apart from the cafes going back to takeaway only it doesn't really feel that much different than Tier 2 did.

I mean pretty definitively cases (at least nationally) have been going up during non-national and regional lockdowns and then down during national lockdowns

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pub regulars whatsapp I'm on were going mental last weekend, in a group of 12 of us everyone's families are spread far & wide across the country, and 10/12 had plans to go see them. These are sensible folk I've known for years but I had to step in on 'gently caress the government just pretend you're in your Mum's bubble'. You're not, and all of our parents will be in at least their mid-60s. Even if you feel fine, you've still got that disease-ridden death tube of a train full of other morons that believe family Xmas is sacrosanct coughing & spluttering away on the journey. One of them had a lift off his sister prepped & turned it down as he wasn't willing to take the risk between him & her.

Got told today my Mums pared down Xmas day with my sister & grandkids has been cancelled too, so the fam are zooming. I get folk love their families but FFS, we've given up so much this year, leave it til March or 2023 when it's deemed safe.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Stay apart this christmas so that we are all here for next christmas; is what i told my sister, much as i love getting stuffed full of food for free i would like to avoid funerals for a while.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Brilliant article, she's beyond reason, she's in the realm of conspiracy bingo, any sentence will include "sheep" a variant of "face diaper" etc etc when discussing covid.

I've done it, he just was very oh has she, that's not good, then mum took the phone and just accused me of stirring the pot.

Now I've found that she's already on the train down, she dismisses me as a government agent anyway, when I said I wore a respirator nearly every day for 4 hours straight for around 6 months when the Salisbury attack happened and It didn't include any illness due to "pathogen breeding grounds"

She reads poo poo like this

https://thecritic.co.uk/face-masks-make-you-stupid/

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which is why when we think of 'stupid people' the stereotypical mental image is always something like this, of course:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/troovus/status/1341751134692790272?s=19

"Don't trash the last four years."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
could've had the best ever pm instead of boris

https://twitter.com/harriepw/status/1341803818783305730?s=20

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Someone ITT a couple months ago mentioned off-handedly that Turkish barbers are like secret spa days for men. Having never tried one, and there being a new Turkish barber in my town literally opposite me, I figured I'd give them a shot before they have to close again in Lockdown 3.
Went in expecting a 15 minute cut and shave, spent 1hr 20 minutes being treated like a loving king. Cut, style, shave (clipper and straight razor) they set my ears on fire, karate chopped my arms, cracked my joints(????), wrapped my entire naked body in a steaming onesie, waxed my nostrils, and gave me Turkish delight (not a euphemism) all for £22. I normally spend £15 for a 15 minute haircut that ends up looking worse than when I started. On top of it all they didn't even seem to need any particular instructions; they just did it, an I came out looking at least twice as handsome as when I went in.

Patronise your Turkish barber; you won't regret it.

e: I literally feel too fancy to be sitting at home after that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Turkish barbers are the loving best, and I've missed going there this year.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Loving most of the references being to out-dated psychology studies from the 1970s (superego... seriously?) and a false equivocation between N95 masks and surgical masks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how it starts off by saying that the plan is to make people more docile and compliant, and then post a bunch of studies about how masks increase noncompliance and rule breaking. :psyduck:

Were they expecting their readers to have forgotten the intro by the time they got to that bit?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Guavanaut posted:

I like how it starts off by saying that the plan is to make people more docile and compliant, and then post a bunch of studies about how masks increase noncompliance and rule breaking. :psyduck:

Were they expecting their readers to have forgotten the intro by the time they got to that bit?

It's so disjointed that it's hard to find where to start when un picking it, which I guess is the point so you just give up.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Abstract

quote:

The key word here is docile, which comes from the Latin docere, meaning “to teach” (as does, say, ‘doctorate’ and ‘document’). Being docile means being compliant and following commands, which means submitting to a system of thought.

Results

quote:

Children without a mask broke the rule, taking more chocolates, 37% of the time, compared to 62% for masked children. The authors concluded that masks “lead to lower restraints on behaviour”.

Conclusion

quote:

The point of face masks is not to protect humans, but to diminish humanity – to rob people of their ego, their identity, and their autonomy.

Masks make you more docile and less autonomous by reducing your restraints and likelihood of following rules. :psypop:

MonkeyLibFront posted:

It's so disjointed that it's hard to find where to start when in picking it, which I guess is the point so you just give up.
:hmmyes:

stupid article posted:

through a bombardment of lies, contradictions, and confusion, the state overwhelms your ability to reason clearly.
through a bombardment of lies, contradictions, and confusion, the Critic overwhelms your ability to reason clearly.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Guavanaut posted:

Abstract

Results

Conclusion

Masks make you more docile and less autonomous by reducing your restraints and likelihood of following rules. :psypop:

:hmmyes:

through a bombardment of lies, contradictions, and confusion, the Critic overwhelms your ability to reason clearly.

It's great isn't it, she's also a English secondary school teacher to boot, but she's unable to get a job in London at the moment.

Part of me feels she's gone full loon to compensate and fill her time.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

communism bitch posted:

Someone ITT a couple months ago mentioned off-handedly that Turkish barbers are like secret spa days for men. Having never tried one, and there being a new Turkish barber in my town literally opposite me, I figured I'd give them a shot before they have to close again in Lockdown 3.
Went in expecting a 15 minute cut and shave, spent 1hr 20 minutes being treated like a loving king. Cut, style, shave (clipper and straight razor) they set my ears on fire, karate chopped my arms, cracked my joints(????), wrapped my entire naked body in a steaming onesie, waxed my nostrils, and gave me Turkish delight (not a euphemism) all for £22. I normally spend £15 for a 15 minute haircut that ends up looking worse than when I started. On top of it all they didn't even seem to need any particular instructions; they just did it, an I came out looking at least twice as handsome as when I went in.

Patronise your Turkish barber; you won't regret it.

e: I literally feel too fancy to be sitting at home after that.

The lemon stuff they spray on you is heaven in a bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

As soon as I saw the original tweet I just assumed without comment that the photo would have been doctored from a Corbyn rally.