Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Uhm it's still 2020, whaddya think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

As long as the vaccines work for it.

The current vaccines aren't approved for use under 16, iirc

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So not only are we actually in Musk’s theorized simulation computer, some rear end in a top hat really is playing Plague, Inc

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

mr_jolly posted:

ah cool!

We've got yet another variant in the UK which is even worse than the new variant.

Very little info on it yet but anyone who has been to South Africa recently has been asked to go into quarantine immediately.

jesus christ.
I live in loving third world land and we got no 20 new super covids like them, what hell?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Alright, one of you science motherfucks can probably explain this to someone dumb like me. Where did this virus come from? Like is it similar to hiv where it was present for who knows how long in monkeys (siv?) and mutated enough to jump the species barrier?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

wesleywillis posted:

Alright, one of you science motherfucks can probably explain this to someone dumb like me. Where did this virus come from? Like is it similar to hiv where it was present for who knows how long in monkeys (siv?) and mutated enough to jump the species barrier?

God created everything, and God clearly hates us.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

They won't, but politicians will tell us they do!

Then they'll blame people who get infected for not being careful or some poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pangolin catches a cold that is transferred to the bats that suckle upon their milky titties and eventually humans ate both. Or the chinese had the russians who built the winter olympics village a few years back construct their high level government virus lab in the heart of Wuhan.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pangolin catches a cold that is transferred to the bats that suckle upon their milky titties and eventually humans ate both. Or the chinese had the russians who built the winter olympics village a few years back construct their high level government virus lab in the heart of Wuhan.

what kind of insane country would allow that kind of research to take place in a major metro area, anyway

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

God created everything, and God clearly hates us.

But I was told god made dirt, and dirt don’t hurt.

Someone lied.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
does anyone know someone who got it and had disorientation/confusion constantly (so tired they couldnt bother to eat)? Someone I know got it and I wanted to know how serious this is

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

There will never be definitive proof but we have strong evidence:
- The first identified cases originated in China, specifically the city of Wuhan.
- There are markets in Wuhan that sell live animals, including bats; it's possible the virus was transmitted through direct consumption, or being bit, or through an intermediate host (ex. bat -> cat -> human)
- Coronaviruses in bats are familiar to us and the COVID-19 genome is almost identical to other bat coronavirus samples.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are hundreds or thousands of potential pandemic viruses lurking in various animals. But it takes a very specific combination of transmissibility, lethality, and inactivity to hurt us this bad. If it were deadlier we would take it more serious and be able to better identify infected/spreaders. If it were less deadly it would be "just another flu". And it has to survive in a non-human host well enough to get to us first. For all our shortcomings humans are very cautious about being clean and purifying what we eat/drink.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 23, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

devmd01 posted:

My wife is a teacher and statistically at least in her school district being in school is one of the safest environments for kids. mandatory masks, separation of chairs as much as is feasibly possible, heavy contact tracing/awareness of who is sitting where, sending anyone home that is possibly exposed, etc etc has gone a long way. From everything the school district and department of health are saying, there have been very, very few cases of infection due to being at school. It’s all happening outside of school where people are less careful.

That said my she just got off of a 4 day bedroom quarantine with multiple negative regular/pcr results because she was exposed by her aide.
anecdote is just a synonym for evidence, right?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

There was a decent docudrama a few years ago about this with Julianne Marguiles and Topher Grace. E: it was on natgeo, I think called The Hot Zone.

I spent about 4 months at Edgewood Arsenal in the early 00s for training (now a mechanical maintenance army TRADOC base). Imagine my surprise at the rich history that place had with troop experiments from the 40s through the 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgewood_Arsenal_human_experiments

Also a bunch of rapes in the 90s by drill sergeants iirc.

America.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wesleywillis posted:

most likely bats or pangolins but i don’t think we’re sure

more information about plagues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYh5WACqEk

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Looks like someone has been saving up all the mutation perks.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Report from the pharmacy:

Someone pissed on the carpet in the atrium, which was nice. Less nice was getting a no foolin, point blank exposure to an unmasked potential covid infectee who was "going into self isolation" (after he got his drugs natch). Wound up standing right in front of him when he tried to run into the back shop after he got jumped outside, physically barring him from entry while he yelled that we had to let him hide there or a car full of people were going to kill him.

Got home and spent half an hour jumping up and down yelling "gently caress" at nothing in particular, which was a nice flashback to my first potential exposure back in March.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Alan Smithee posted:

does anyone know someone who got it and had disorientation/confusion constantly (so tired they couldnt bother to eat)? Someone I know got it and I wanted to know how serious this is

Its one of the more serious symptoms and they should get medical advice asap. Its listed as part of the serious symptom list on our call script.

Have them call an advice nurse if they can't get their doc on the phone. Obviously call 911 if its really bad.

A lot of people I talk to experience significant fatigue and loss of appetite though.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 23, 2020

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I was in a work conference call today where everybody was talking about their family get togethers this year.
The people on the call were hospital or health care industry employees.

*internal screaming intensifies*

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Xaintrailles posted:

If she's exhibiting her dog you could give it a really bad haircut.

You know what would probably prevent her from going to a dog show? Not having a dog to bring. Surely you must know someone who wouldn't mind taking care of a dog for a day? Or a boarding house for dogs? Then just tell your mom "Hey I know where your dog and he's totally fine but I'm not telling you where he is until the dog show is over". I mean it might sound cruel but unfortunately boomers need to be treated like the entitled toddlers they are these days in order to save them from themselves.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html

Its one of the very worrying signs and you need to get this person asessed ASAP especially if they are older.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
My mom (nurse in a nursing home) had covid real bad in March and she's scheduled to get the vaccine January 6. I'm glad because I worry about her getting reinfected or spreading it to my dad who may have been asymptomatic or not caught it at all. Hopefully I can get it in the near future because man eating lunch outside in the winter is not fun.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Surprised there hasn’t been more nasty mutations coming out of the US given the number of cases means there’s been plenty of opportunities for that to happen.

Or maybe they have emerged and it’s just that no one there is doing enough testing and analysis to find them and see if they’re more deadly/contagious than earlier variants.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
They have emerged and it’s just that no one here is doing enough testing and analysis to find them and see if they’re more deadly/contagious than earlier variants. :)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Surprised there hasn’t been more nasty mutations coming out of the US given the number of cases means there’s been plenty of opportunities for that to happen.

Or maybe they have emerged and it’s just that no one there is doing enough testing and analysis to find them and see if they’re more deadly/contagious than earlier variants.

The UK is simply sequencing way more than other nations, that's why we hear about their mutations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

just think of all the crazy variants that are being cooked up in the United States right now with our sky high transmission rate

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Starks posted:

I understand that. The original post said an entire nursing home got reinfected, not a single case. How could a single case prove reinfections aren't rare?

Edit: I just spent a bunch of time looking it up and there doesn't even appear to be a single case of multiple reinfections in the same setting. I could also only find one case of death after confirmed reinfection. All of which supports the idea that maybe people who have already had it shouldn't be at the front of the line for the vaccine, at least within their own vaccine group. No one is saying reinfection doesn't happen or isn't something to take seriously.
Just spitballing here, but I imagine that reinfection could be more likely among elderly people because their immune responses to the virus are likely to be less than amazing. I remember hearing talk earlier this year about how monoclonal antibodies might be a better option for the elderly than vaccines -- basically that means injecting them with premade antibodies for protection instead of making them rely on their own immune systems.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uhm it's still 2020, whaddya think

Not for very much longer, now it's just a matter of time until we beat this drat year once and for all!!!

(I mean yeah, 2021's probably still going to be pretty hosed, but I say we still take this as a victory)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

Not for very much longer, now it's just a matter of time until we beat this drat year once and for all!!!

(I mean yeah, 2021's probably still going to be pretty hosed, but I say we still take this as a victory)

Remember when everybody was happy to be done with 2019, when that was considered to have been a terrible year?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Fame Douglas posted:

Remember when everybody was happy to be done with 2019, when that was considered to have been a terrible year?

> I'm so tired of [KNOWN_DEVIL], [UNKNOWN_DEVIL] is going to be my time to shine

<GETTING_TO_KNOW_YOU_PHASE>

repeat ad nauseam

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

> I'm so tired of [KNOWN_DEVIL], [UNKNOWN_DEVIL] is going to be my time to shine

<GETTING_TO_KNOW_YOU_PHASE>

repeat ad nauseam

It will be hard for biden to be even worse than trump but I wish him the best in his attempt

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

and 2018, and 2017, and 2016...

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Fame Douglas posted:

I must have been one of the few people that was absolutely dreading 2020 on Dec 31st 2019. Because at that point the virus was raging through Wuhan and it was on the news but it wasn't headline news like it is now. And one of things they were talking about was how much Chinese people travel all around the world on New years and I just knew it was going to make it here (the US) and it was going to be really bad. And that it was the worst possible time ever for that to happen with the "leadership" we have.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FiskTireBoy posted:

I must have been one of the few people that was absolutely dreading 2020 on Dec 31st 2019. Because at that point the virus was raging through Wuhan and it was on the news but it wasn't headline news like it is now. And one of things they were talking about was how much Chinese people travel all around the world on New years and I just knew it was going to make it here (the US) and it was going to be really bad. And that it was the worst possible time ever for that to happen with the "leadership" we have.

Well you could have warned us :argh:

Australia paid very little attention to the virus in Wuhan because at the time most of our country was burning down and our PM had hosed off to Hawaii.

Simpler times.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
My husband, who follows Chinese news, was losing his poo poo about Covid in January. By February I was legit starting to worry about his mental health for the first time ever when he started talking about stockpiling canned food and masks and practically yelling stats at me. By March I was like, poo poo, you're right. Sorry.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

OMFG FURRY posted:

just think of all the crazy variants that are being cooked up in the United States right now with our sky high transmission rate

Alabama: Asymptomatic while driving car and making left turns. Upon turning right, a wall of every known symptom, all at once.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I remember mid-February there was someone claiming to have already made the vaccine because I had this conversation with my co-worker next to me that as much as we gripe about our health care system, he didn't think socialized medicine would've been able to crank out something that quick. Like, yes our coverage sucks, yes our coverage is insecure if we get laid off, yes we pay way more, but this is what justifies it.

Then we spent 10 months having the most consistently lovely first world infection/death numbers out there and the first vaccine to get approved actually came from Germany :lol:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I haven't read an article this year that has absolutely broken my heart as much as this one.

In her own words, Dr. Susan Moore explains her complications of COVID-19 and how the doctors refused to give her the proper treatment because she was black.

https://www.facebook.com/susan.moore.33671748/posts/3459157600869878

https://www.facebook.com/susan.moore.33671748/videos/vb.100003270157867/3459156707536634/?type=3&theater

She died on Sunday from the virus. The doctor refused to touch her, to do any type of evaluation, he literally told her to go home as she didn't have anything wrong. She later found out that the doctor has had problems treating patients going back at least three years.

The NY Times posted the article explaining more, her last update on the post is that she was on a BiPAP and taken to the ICU after it was determined that yes, the doctor sent her home too early.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/23/us/susan-moore-black-doctor-indiana.html

I don't know if he is just a lovely doctor...but it feels like she was right.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't read an article this year that has absolutely broken my heart as much as this one.

In her own words, Dr. Susan Moore explains her complications of COVID-19 and how the doctors refused to give her the proper treatment because she was black.

https://www.facebook.com/susan.moore.33671748/videos/vb.100003270157867/3459156707536634/?type=3&theater

She died on Sunday from the virus. The doctor refused to touch her, to do any type of evaluation, he literally told her to go home as she didn't have anything wrong. She later found out that the doctor has had problems treating patients going back at least three years.

The NY Times posted the article explaining more, her last update on the post is that she was on a BiPAP and taken to the ICU after it was determined that yes, the doctor sent her home too early.

there is hospitals in america that will let women die if they need an abortion to live even if they got airlifted there unconscious and it wasn't their idea to use that hospital, health care in america is hosed mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Racial disparities in health care quality due to race has been a long documented issue. There are still nurses and doctors who think black people have a higher tolerance for pain. Pregnant black people have a higher chance of death when delivering.