Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Get GDLauncher and browse modpacks. As far as the individual mods there are a tremendous amount - it's not like New Vegas where there are a list of mods everyone recommends as a base.

The majority of mods are hosted on Curseforge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:yeshaha:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there any ore finder mods out there that:
1. Perform okay and aren't associated with a pack that has had problems otherwise (Rotarycraft).
2. Can be built and used without already practically being post-scarcity. Preferably, it doesn't require already having the resource you're looking for (diamonds).
3. Have some novel mechanics but are still actually useful.
4. Works outside of the GregTech world?

This talk of that kind of thing has made me think about that again.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

That's like 48 million EU worth of benzene once processed and run through LV gas turbines (95% efficiency). Beautiful.

Just think, the same tank of steam would be 150k EU.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any ore finder mods out there that:
1. Perform okay and aren't associated with a pack that has had problems otherwise (Rotarycraft).
2. Can be built and used without already practically being post-scarcity. Preferably, it doesn't require already having the resource you're looking for (diamonds).
3. Have some novel mechanics but are still actually useful.
4. Works outside of the GregTech world?

This talk of that kind of thing has made me think about that again.

Advanced Locators is a good one, it takes some basic redstone components, and the gem-finding one does take diamonds, but only three of them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Are there any decent progession/questing packs these days that aren't just.. abandoned? That are being patched/updated with bugfixes? That seablock pack sounded interesting but I go to their curseforge page and it was last updated early in the year and there are dozens and dozens of show-stopping bugs that aren't being addressed, like when some shark event spawns and just irrecoverably crashes the server

It's kinda disappointing that blightfall was pretty much the pinnacle and it's not really available or popular on any of the launchers, and even that had (has?) serious bugs.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 22, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm looking for ways to expand and make villages more interesting to interact with.

I was looking at TekTopia and Millenaire but it appears those are only for 1.12.

TekTopia in particular seemed rather neat with adding a crafting complexity for running the village along with villager needs. In some ways, I'd like for a Minecraft village to be like an ant farm that I can build up and then observe them running about their day to day, but vanilla doesn't have any of them really doing anything or using inputs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm looking for ways to expand and make villages more interesting to interact with.

I was looking at TekTopia and Millenaire but it appears those are only for 1.12.

TekTopia in particular seemed rather neat with adding a crafting complexity for running the village along with villager needs. In some ways, I'd like for a Minecraft village to be like an ant farm that I can build up and then observe them running about their day to day, but vanilla doesn't have any of them really doing anything or using inputs.

Isn't the vanilla village stuff in 1.16 pretty involved?

If not, try Minecolonies.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Isn't the vanilla village stuff in 1.16 pretty involved?

If not, try Minecolonies.

Oh, if villages have changed since I played last (which is close to 1.12) then perhaps I'll just vanilla it out. I'll also check Minecolonies, thanks!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea village mechanics have changed enough it’s worth playing some vanilla (or lightly modded i guess) to check it out. Villager breeding, and in turn iron farms have completely changed.

I didn’t realize botania had been updated. I’ve always wanted to do a game with nothing but inventory tweaks and botania but it’s hard to put a ton of effort into vanilla mechanics when you know you can’t update to the new version and carry on.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 22, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Apparently there's a new version of GTNH out now -- 2.1.0.0. No changelog yet, though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Minecolonies is a favourite of mine, it runs impressively well even with a shitload of villagers and you can make things completely self-sustaining. The new research mechanic is kind of a pain in the rear end, but apparently the research timers take time spent not playing into account.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Apparently there's a new version of GTNH out now -- 2.1.0.0. No changelog yet, though.

Just a heads up to anyone who downloads this, there are two different copies of NotEnoughThaumcraftTabs in the mods folder and FML threw an error. I just deleted one and it seems fine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of GTNH, there's an alpha version of Cooking for Blockheads for GTNH that may be of interest. Just in time for me, too -- I was just starting to run out of food I'd gotten from quest rewards and I did not relish the idea of manually cooking stuff.

The only thing that doesn't work (according to the author of the port) is GT tools having their durability reduced when they're in the tool racks. Which, IDK, sounds like a feature, not a bug. :haw:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Double post! So there's good news and bad news about the new GTNH version.

Good news:

Programmed Circuits now have an item sprite that indicates their setting.

Bad news: Railcraft boilers now output pollution. A lot of it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Bad news: Railcraft boilers now output pollution. A lot of it.

Like old thaumcraft pollution or what?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

Like old thaumcraft pollution or what?

Not quite as horrible as that. It's similar to flux in that it's a property of a chunk, spreads to other chunks, and so on. It'll dissipate on its own if you stop polluting, and there are air scrubbers. If it gets high enough it starts giving negative potion effects and I think killing crops. Fortunately there's a hazmat suit quest.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not quite as horrible as that. It's similar to flux in that it's a property of a chunk, spreads to other chunks, and so on. It'll dissipate on its own if you stop polluting, and there are air scrubbers. If it gets high enough it starts giving negative potion effects and I think killing crops. Fortunately there's a hazmat suit quest.

Sounds like Pollution of the Realms?

Fun fact, you can pump CO2 from that into a greenhouse for faster crop growth.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

Sounds like Pollution of the Realms?

Fun fact, you can pump CO2 from that into a greenhouse for faster crop growth.

Can you kill people or mobs doing this? or are undead mobs immune to CO2?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

Can you kill people or mobs doing this? or are undead mobs immune to CO2?

I'd have to check the exact configs, but I believe you can indeed die from poisoning from too much CO2 and/or Sulfur.

The latter also causes acid rain.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

As far as I can tell Pollution of the Realms is only on 1.12, so GT:NH must be using something else.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, GTNH has its own pollution mechanic. It's not related to that Pollution of the Realms thing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Right now I think pollution just debuffs you with weakness poison and nausea, and you can either wear a hazmat suit or a nanosuit to block it. Also it creates a fog effect. Mostly it's an incentive to move heavily polluting machines away from your crafting area? Especially rockets.
Considering how much effort they're going into adding realism in various places, they'll probably change it to do something that models CO2, particulates, and sulfur.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also having the blast furnaces next to your farms will aridify everything and kill trees. i did some quick back of the napkin calculations off the formulae after running bricked blast furnaces long enough to get to the 500,000 pollution tier and it looks like it's about 2hrs to halve the pollution in a chunk once you stop spurting out greenhouse gases. you do want your pollutants not slap bang in the middle of your base.

speaking of formulae, can i check i have my head around the inexplicable GT electricity mechanics? i fear testing this in the wild, but is cable amperage a ceiling or a total? does it provide a maximum on the amperage it can accept or deliver?

in other words, can i fire an arbitrary number of amp-1 turbines into a 1x cable and have it work, until i plop down a thermal centrifuge that tries to draw 2amps? can i hook two 4-amp battery buffers up to a 4x cable without melting?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm still in Steam so it's not a concern yet but how far out am I gonna want to go once it's time to do ecoterrorism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

like two chunks from anything you want to grow should be fine. if you're just running a 4x set of blast furnaces it's fine for them to be in the next chunk over

once you get to a point where it's a problem, you've got the tools to handle it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

speaking of formulae, can i check i have my head around the inexplicable GT electricity mechanics? i fear testing this in the wild, but is cable amperage a ceiling or a total? does it provide a maximum on the amperage it can accept or deliver?

in other words, can i fire an arbitrary number of amp-1 turbines into a 1x cable and have it work, until i plop down a thermal centrifuge that tries to draw 2amps? can i hook two 4-amp battery buffers up to a 4x cable without melting?

There's four rules about GT electricity.

A) Don't send a higher voltage into a machine than it can accept. This causes explosions.
2) Don't send a higher amperage into a cable than it can accept. This makes the wire catch fire and melt.
iii) Excess amperage going into a machine is fine.
IV] Don't put loops in your cables. Electricity is sent in packets and can rebound, which might make it overamp the cable. Since wires don't automatically connect on all sides, you really have to gently caress up to do this on purpose, plus lol at your line loss.

I've never tried to overamp a cable with multiple generators equal to its amperage rating then assiduously only ever draw less than or equal to the rated amperage for the cable. That seems silly to me. If you want to run more machines at the same time, increase the size of your battery buffer and match the cable to its amperage.

Trickle charging a battery buffer works really well if it's just a bank of machines for crafting stuff rather than constant-use machines. Right now my LV machines run on a 4 amp battery buffer charged by 2 steam turbines.

Also of note: machine electricity use is based on the total energy consumed by the machines, rather than strictly amperage. If I have 8 machines working continuously on a 16 EU/t 1 amp recipe, being fed 4 amps of 32 EU/t voltage, it works fine. (Though line loss might gently caress that example up, but whatever.) Very few recipes actually call for the total voltage of its energy tier, so you can abuse this.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also having the blast furnaces next to your farms will aridify everything and kill trees. i did some quick back of the napkin calculations off the formulae after running bricked blast furnaces long enough to get to the 500,000 pollution tier and it looks like it's about 2hrs to halve the pollution in a chunk once you stop spurting out greenhouse gases. you do want your pollutants not slap bang in the middle of your base.

Quick and dirty EU mechanics guidelines! (TL;DR answer: amps are TOTAL, not CEILING)

Voltage tiers are pretty easy. LV starts at 32, every stage up or down is a factor of 5. Any voltage above a tier counts as the next tier above, so if you send 33 EU/t it's considered MV and will melt tin cables.

EU works in a packet system, and it works by requesting packets rather than sending them. Any energy consuming machine (including battery buffers, etc.) that isn't full on energy will request a packet of energy through connected cables to anything capable of sending energy (generators, battery buffers, transformers). A sender will then conjure up a packet and ship it out, all in the span of one tick. It always sends the maximum energy, which is then reduced by cable loss until it reaches the destination. If your machine uses 8 eu/t it will end up requesting a packet every 4 ticks (slightly more given cable loss). Multiple machines on a cable network with fewer amps than machines will fight over packets and there's a priority system that I've never puzzled out. I often end up removing batteries from a machine so it will stop charging an inactive machine and instead supply an active one.

The number of amps your cable supplies (cable size * amperage) is the maximum number of amps that can be safely requested in a single tick. If you only have a single one-amp machine it doesn't matter how many turbines you hook up since it will only request one amp at a time. If you have 5 machines hooked to a single turbine, a 1x cable is fine because only one packet request can be fulfilled at a time.

The rule of thumb is: find out how many amps you are able to send at a time and use a cable of that size. Err on the side of your producers/senders because if you add more machines they will send more and then you melt wires and blow up machines. Hooking a 4x battery buffer to two 1-amp machines? Use 4x cable. Plugging 5 macerators into a single steam turbine? 1x cable is fine.

The other thing to note is that all machines have an internal energy buffer, but it's tiny (like 2k EU for LV machines). Batteries function as an extension of that buffer. A machine can draw any number of amps from its own internal buffer, so you can run a thermal centrifuge or arc furnace off a single turbine +1x cable, but not continuously. Machines can also accept lower voltage than they use, so you can drop your MV Electrolyzer right onto your LV cables. It will always draw 1 amp of power, but as long as it has a battery is can use its internal buffer and recharge it off the LV power. It won't be able to run with more than 25% uptime, but you don't have to gently caress around with transformers or new MV turbines just to start using MV machines.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Right now I think pollution just debuffs you with weakness poison and nausea, and you can either wear a hazmat suit or a nanosuit to block it. Also it creates a fog effect. Mostly it's an incentive to move heavily polluting machines away from your crafting area? Especially rockets.
Considering how much effort they're going into adding realism in various places, they'll probably change it to do something that models CO2, particulates, and sulfur.

Imagine being extremely dedicated to ~~realism~~ in a game where the player can carry around 45k metric TONS of gold in their rear end.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i did it :sun:

i can chop every tree in the world now

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Can you turn the pollution stuff off? That sounds annoying as hell to me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

Can you turn the pollution stuff off? That sounds annoying as hell to me.

Looks like. config/GregTech/GregTech.cfg

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Looks like. config/GregTech/GregTech.cfg

Right on, thank you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just deleted a block from my Smeltery by mistake and lost a tonne of Aluminium Brass and Bronze. Gutted. I don't care about the iron and copper I lost, they're easy to mine. But tin and aluminium are hard to come by, even when I'm mining on their level.

I ended task and hoped autosave would revert me back but I spawn in after the mishap. Oops.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Qubee posted:

Just deleted a block from my Smeltery by mistake and lost a tonne of Aluminium Brass and Bronze. Gutted. I don't care about the iron and copper I lost, they're easy to mine. But tin and aluminium are hard to come by, even when I'm mining on their level.

I ended task and hoped autosave would revert me back but I spawn in after the mishap. Oops.

As long as you don't break the controller, this should never happen.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Qubee posted:

Just put the block back.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It was the controller, sadly. I was trying to make a searing furnace. Totally botched it. In the past, I'd removed blocks and it had spawned the molten ores back in so I mistakenly assumed it was saved onto the controller and was just going to exploit that to move the entire setup.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
I set up a GT New Horizons server...2.0.9...I've never played. I saw someone who said it'd be fun in a small group, so figure I'd open it up. I've got the next month off of work due to COVID so a good as time as any to start I suppose.

GOONTECH.serverminer.com

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a way to download the modpacks posted to Curseforge without getting the app these days? I figured I'd die on Mr.Boofu's server but I couldn't even get the pack.

Edit: Nevermind, I think. Somehow I got to a version of the page that didn't corner me in the to app. This time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a way to download the modpacks posted to Curseforge without getting the app these days? I figured I'd die on Mr.Boofu's server but I couldn't even get the pack.

Edit: Nevermind, I think. Somehow I got to a version of the page that didn't corner me in the to app. This time.

For future reference, GDlauncher will do it.