Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Slashrat posted:

I don't recall any crashes in recent memory, and performance-wise I've only encountered slowdowns when looking directly at the furnace while it chews up a huge chunk (due to the amount of VFX particles it spawns, I presume)

I do get a slightly annoying issue sometimes while jetting around where my view will suddenly rotate sharply, without any mouse movement on my part. I'm not sure if there's some phantom input going on or if it's related to performance or a bug in physics simulation somehow.

It's not just you, I get this sometimes. I also get a huge spike of lag if I shove something big in the furnace, but it clears in a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I havent played since before the stargazer was release and they have defeinitely improved performance somewhat. However the suit thrusters seem to be much weaker even when upgraded? It slows everything down which is a bit annoying.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Saros posted:

However the suit thrusters seem to be much weaker even when upgraded? It slows everything down which is a bit annoying.

The latest patch made it so that your top speed goes down if your thrusters are at low durability, that could be it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Things I've learned! They've removed the splitsaw ability to cut nanocarbon and put that functionality on the demo charges.

Interesting note, you can carve up the nose of a gecko like a turkey with properly placed charges. And they cut along the WHOLE axis of their detonation, so you can clip a big chunk of nano.

Oh crap now I just realized how to cut up the javelins quicker. I've been threading the hull rings off the inner hull which takes flippin' forever when you're dealing with the inner bits. A couple of demo charges in the right spot will cut those into two pieces that can be pulled apart without having to fuss-tether it down the length of the ship.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

one thing I learned playing this game and reading this thread is that I have a lot of difficulty orienting in 3D space, especially as the ship gets jostled out of its starting position

If anyone has advice on that front I'm all ears

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the barge is Down

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
An effortless sense of direction is probably a natural trait you can't learn and the best someone who is not a natural can manage is to devote your entire conscious brain to learning a rote assignment of physical things to directions and consciously updating your mind database as situations change.

In Shipbreakers you can also peel away the outer hull and make windows in the inner hull so you can always orient to the cardinal colors of barge down, blue fore, red aft, blackness of space up

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not as easy to train as an adult, but you can definitely train your sense of direction and spatial awareness through practice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zedprime posted:

An effortless sense of direction is probably a natural trait you can't learn and the best someone who is not a natural can manage is to devote your entire conscious brain to learning a rote assignment of physical things to directions and consciously updating your mind database as situations change.

In Shipbreakers you can also peel away the outer hull and make windows in the inner hull so you can always orient to the cardinal colors of barge down, blue fore, red aft, blackness of space up

I like that idea of making windows in the inner hull, as that's when I tend to get lost most - otherwise, yeah, I orient on the colors

It's not natural or instinctive at all though, even now; small wonder I get turned around crawling inside the hull

(e) by the way, is the game less vulnerable now to e.g. cryo containers suddenly exploding when grappled off the ship because of phantom forces? that always made me real sore

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm amazed at how much this game is like riding a bike. I was really worried I was going to start playing and not measure up to my past self's effortless ship processing and rage quit. I'm not as good as I was which gets me into trouble but I can still strip poo poo quick enough I don't feel inadequate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lol did my first hard mackerel of this career "wait, where the gently caress's the reactor?" for like five minutes before I found it buried right next to the cockpit

Is that procgen? I enjoyed the switchup

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

lol did my first hard mackerel of this career "wait, where the gently caress's the reactor?" for like five minutes before I found it buried right next to the cockpit

I found that randomly once too.

With my splitsaw. :v:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

They changed this a few months ago, Mackerels can spawn the reactor in a few places now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I liked running into reinforced cutpoints, t oo - I assume later upgrades will get me in those but for now it was an interesting challenge to deal with. Haven't had any spontaneous grapple e xplosions yet, either.

So, question. The tutorial tells you the spot laser is for cutpoints, but it's way faster - and safer, with laser bounces getting me blown up earlier today - to just use the splitsaw, IME. So what's the spot laser actually for?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

I liked running into reinforced cutpoints, t oo - I assume later upgrades will get me in those but for now it was an interesting challenge to deal with. Haven't had any spontaneous grapple e xplosions yet, either.

So, question. The tutorial tells you the spot laser is for cutpoints, but it's way faster - and safer, with laser bounces getting me blown up earlier today - to just use the splitsaw, IME. So what's the spot laser actually for?

The spot welder is for incinerating AI nodes on the fuel tanks and reactor

Hope your aim isn't off by a few pixels

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The stinger spot laser is good for two things, imo- first, there are sometimes cut points which are in awkward locations where messing up by a tiny amount means you'd splitsaw things you don't want to; and second, sometimes it's faster to just delete an aluminum panel than it is to cut a square out of it with the splitspaw. This is particularly true when there is poo poo glued to the back of it, like when having a computer stuck to the bit you're cutting out turns out to be a structural component.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tonight I didn't notice laser reflection is anything but visual as its always been.

But point and click laser is when you absolutely must not clip anything flammable. It heats what you point at and only what you point at, for better and worse.

Alternate use, anything you point it at disappears entirely instead of floating around which is also useful for punching out room to move around fuel or cryo storages or if you accidentally manhole a punch out into somewhere awkward it doesn't want to leave.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah Stinger is great for vaporizing stuff you want removed entirely and really tight single weakpoints but you 100% have to manage your background because it's tailor-made to burn through things and cause fuel leaks.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 23, 2020

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, this game. Nabbed it yesterday afternoon, and I've already played 8 hours of it :psyduck: It's roped me in real good.

Just had my first 'rapid unintended disassembley' (to tweak a phrase). Thought I could sneak my cutter-beam by a fuel tank in a tight space and OH GOD NO I COULDN'T :supaburn:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I figured out I can break the green cut-points by yeeting some debris at it but that seems fraught with danger at the best of times. Is there a better way?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol nope

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you absolutely can't trust yourself, demo charges are the new cut level ignoring can opener. Note that they can be a little indiscriminate so the correct place to put the demo charge to get the desired result might not be on or even near the cut point itself

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ciaphas posted:

I figured out I can break the green cut-points by yeeting some debris at it but that seems fraught with danger at the best of times. Is there a better way?

Set them on fire with the stinger and they'll burn away after a few minutes. Just hope the heat doesn't set anything else off :v:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Set them on fire with the stinger and they'll burn away after a few minutes. Just hope the heat doesn't set anything else off :v:

They've not been flammable for a while. But you can just charge your grapple up to full and smash them off without having to launch anything with it

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Saros posted:

I havent played since before the stargazer was release and they have defeinitely improved performance somewhat. However the suit thrusters seem to be much weaker even when upgraded? It slows everything down which is a bit annoying.

So I looked through some older vids and I'm pretty sure it seemed that way to me because I've been playing space engineers recently and the jetpack in that is some insane thing capable of multiple g's of acceleration lol. Speaking of if you haven't played space engineers and you like block games and/or shipbreaker you should check it out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Space Engineers is better (IMO) when the jetpack's absurdity is modded down to be less useful in gravity well. Then you actually have to build your poo poo with considerations like ease of access instead of relying on a jetpack that can move you around faster than most ships.

Isomermaid posted:

They've not been flammable for a while. But you can just charge your grapple up to full and smash them off without having to launch anything with it

Oh whoops. Been a while since I've played.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

You can break them just by blasting the grapple push at them at full charge. You don't need debris; the push itself will yeet the protective cover off.

e: beaten

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
should be called

yeet: the game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

If you absolutely can't trust yourself, demo charges are the new cut level ignoring can opener. Note that they can be a little indiscriminate so the correct place to put the demo charge to get the desired result might not be on or even near the cut point itself

Remember kids: there is no problem in the human condition that can’t be solved with the precise and proper application of high explosives.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
For a laugh, pull out the gas and reactor from a mackerel, then ring that sucker with demo charges.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My first use of them was peeling the Ion ring away from the new Javelin

Very cool; then t he ring segments didn't fit in the barge right and I only got half in :argh:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Can you vary the size of the demo charge explosion? I know the upgrade minimizes it, but there have been a few points where the larger one would have been better than trying to squeeze in another charge or two.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Javelin is a really interesting ship to take apart. The mix of monolithic tin cans and skeleton seems like it should be strictly more boring than the orange peeling of the Mackerel and Gecko but its the ship so far that feels like I'm asked to do the most bad idea ship breaking poo poo.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

zedprime posted:

The Javelin is a really interesting ship to take apart. The mix of monolithic tin cans and skeleton seems like it should be strictly more boring than the orange peeling of the Mackerel and Gecko but its the ship so far that feels like I'm asked to do the most bad idea ship breaking poo poo.

Agreed! I’m still terrible at it and it seems less “solve-able” like the other ships, where it’s clear that there’s a single best way to strip the exterior and then loot the interior.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Def spent half my first shift puttering around checking it out and muttering "Management wants me to take care of THIS thing?"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wrr posted:

Def spent half my first shift puttering around checking it out and muttering "Management wants me to take care of THIS thing?"

:same: spent 10 minutes first shift just looking for the fuel thruster ejector thingy

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Kinetica posted:

Can you vary the size of the demo charge explosion? I know the upgrade minimizes it, but there have been a few points where the larger one would have been better than trying to squeeze in another charge or two.

The upgrade doesn't change the size of the flat green grid which does the cutting. It changes the explosion radius of the simulated sphere of the explosion.

Ciaphas posted:

My first use of them was peeling the Ion ring away from the new Javelin

Very cool; then t he ring segments didn't fit in the barge right and I only got half in :argh:

I did some testing on the Ion rings and found they act very oddly when entering the barge as one piece. Some folks have had issue where the middle, as example, will be accepted into the barge and one or both of the side pieces wont break off and be at a bad angle making them look barged but not being so. If you're unsure if a piece is in the barge or not just reticule over it and if the hud says [barge] in the bottom center then it's not in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdnZoAzAKr4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Between the ion ring and the high gain antennas I hope the next quality of life update is shoring up the barge behaviours with bulk deposits.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

zedprime posted:

Between the ion ring and the high gain antennas I hope the next quality of life update is shoring up the barge behaviours with bulk deposits.

In general, really. I hate having to separate every piece of something for it to count, even when it's a logical unit. Why do I have to peel the airlock consoles off the airlock? Why do some of the computer consoles need to have the screens ripped off? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I failed an ion ring work order by like 100 lbs because the barge didn’t acknowledge part of a big chunk.

The barge is getting way too crowded with these big javelins and the 500 huge fuel tanks.