Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

duck trucker posted:

I don't know why but the fight scene in Scilly in Aquaman just makes me go "gently caress that's cool." Especially when there's the shot that starts on Mera and zooms out to get to what Aquaman is dealing with.

Like, objectively I know that there's really nothing about that shot and scene that is groundbreaking or anything, but it weirdly hits me in that little kid thinking something is awesome vibe and I really can't explain it.

I enjoyed it because it was a direct rip from fast and furious 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think the motivation for Black Manta is objectively terrible and hilarious. Like, my man, your whole crew was murderous pirates, your dad was aggressively attempting to kill Aquaman and in the process crushed himself with exploding submarine pieces, no one is under any obligation to do nice things for any of you

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everything Black Manta is utterly bizarre. Here's this opening piece with him where he's got a vendetta against Aquaman that isn't terribly valid. Then he's a pawn to the big bad but purely in scenes of talking in a movie loaded with action. And then he shows up to fight Aquaman and has his rear end kicked in 5 minutes. Its insane. You can remove him entirely from the film and nothing changes. He's just there to be set up for a sequel, but by making him look like the biggest loser.

It would be a huge mark against the movie if I could take anything about it seriously and the film didn't bizarrely couch that sene between a random rom com and a random horror movie. By the time I was watching Mary Poppins kaiju I had forgotten Black Manta existed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The song choice in his construction montage is really weird too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1341489393756897281

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw Ultron in theaters but literally remember nothing about the experience.

When Scarlet Witch told Thanos "You took everything from me" the line completely failed to land because for some dumb reason my first thought was Quicksilver and not Vision so I spent a few seconds trying to work out why she'd blame Thanos for his death.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hollywood execs are almost universally rich dipshits with terrible taste and opinions. It's such a bizarre ecosystem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one tell BJ Peterson who voices Groot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If ur gonna hire bradley cooper you gotta have him shake a baby doll on screen imo

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Why did we hire Bradley Cooper if we aren't going to have him gently caress Michael Ian Black?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Voice actor Nolan North gave an interview talking about how often voice directors would tell him to just imitate his most famous role (Nathan Drake.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When Scarlet Witch told Thanos "You took everything from me" the line completely failed to land because for some dumb reason my first thought was Quicksilver and not Vision so I spent a few seconds trying to work out why she'd blame Thanos for his death.
I don't think any of the characters know that Thanos is responsible for Ultron, right?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The best part of Aquaman was the setup of a Splash pastiche where Mera doesn't understand the ways of these silly surface dwellers so she tries eating a rose, and then the movie dodges the Tom Hanks paternalistic exasperation by just having Arthur shrug and also try some roses.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think the motivation for Black Manta is objectively terrible and hilarious. Like, my man, your whole crew was murderous pirates, your dad was aggressively attempting to kill Aquaman and in the process crushed himself with exploding submarine pieces, no one is under any obligation to do nice things for any of you
It's definitely a couple miles of hypocritical but still...personal stakes are personal stakes nonetheless. And even for a pirate there's got to be a difference between killing someone to get what you want versus letting someone drown just 'cuz you're petty and literally think they're too scummy of a person to be saved. :sweatdrop:

I really like it though, it was a great way to set up Arthur's development through the story, having him grapple with how he's just as complicit in a cycle of hatred as the Atlantean people that he hates.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think any of the characters know that Thanos is responsible for Ultron, right?

They know Thanos was behind the invasion of New York, which is why the sceptre was on Earth, which led to Ultron being created.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vision was the last person in a long line of people Wanda loved taken from her. Her brother, her parents. She lashed out to Thanos because he was an evil monster who has just murdered the person she loved after she lost everyone else she loved. She wasn't doing complicated reasoning of cause and effect (based on info she probably doesn't have).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 23, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

They know Thanos was behind the invasion of New York, which is why the sceptre was on Earth, which led to Ultron being created.

I mean, that's a real roundabout way to go to avoid blaming Stark and Banner

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

STAC Goat posted:

Vision was the last person in a long line of people Wanda loved taken from her. Her brother, her parents. She lashed out to Thanos because he was an evil monster who has just murdered the person she loved after she lost everyone else she loved. She wasn't doing complicated reasoning of cause and effect (based on info she probably doesn't have).

Yeah I mean remember that the events of Infinity War from her point of view essentially revolved around trying to save Vision at all costs, finally being forced to kill Vision in a heroic sacrifice to save the universe, her being prepared to be killed by Thanos, only for Thanos to reverse the sacrifice and re-kill Vision to kill bazillions of people.

That's kinda a dick move.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He also then killed her, effectively, for five years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

The song choice in his construction montage is really weird too.

I love Depeche Mode and Precious is probably one of the best late period songs, but yea its really out of place there.

But yea I agree that his whole vendetta is stupid. I really hate movie villains that are horribly lovely people, that the hero stops them and hurts them or kills someone they were close to and the villain gets all pissy like the hero did something wrong. As someone said, it makes it feel like the movie is from an earlier time. I'd not be surprised if this was adapted from a script written in the 90s and that's why it feels different.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's "It's no Good" in the montage.

Giving the bad guy a comedy build montage of his murder weapons is a weird enough choice, then they put a creepy love song over it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, they do address that. Mera outright says "Well, he's a pirate. What did he expect?"

But the wrongness of killing Dad Manta is really less about how it affects his son, and more about what it says about Arthur. He's just acting like any other Atlantean in that moment.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
"It's no good" was really out of place. Such a great song used in such a movie that seems to be so opposite of Depeche Mode.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mostly what I find funny is Mants is given a super high tech Atlantian suit of armour.
It gets broken and he loses.
Then he appears at the end as the sequel bait*.

Even if he get's his suit fixed, he is not a big threat to Arthur. Unless they go full Rocky III and make it about Blsck Manta training for the rematch.

I presume that the reason Manta was in the end sequence was when they were moving ahead for a planned Justice League sequel with Luthor building an Injustice League and wanted Manta to be their Aquaman.

* = Fish pun!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw Ultron in theaters but literally remember nothing about the experience

I remember prior to the trailers a teenager on a DS two rows down who kept going "Mommeeeeeeeeeee Mommeeeeeeeeeeeeee Mommeeeeee" to her mom for ten minutes straight. Cool that you guys have your dumb injoke but jesus christ.

My main memory of the first Avengers was the girl next to me *whipping out a laptop* during act 3 and just clickity clacking around.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I remember prior to the trailers a teenager on a DS two rows down who kept going "Mommeeeeeeeeeee Mommeeeeeeeeeeeeee Mommeeeeee" to her mom for ten minutes straight. Cool that you guys have your dumb injoke but jesus christ.

My main memory of the first Avengers was the girl next to me *whipping out a laptop* during act 3 and just clickity clacking around.

What the gently caress, where do you live dude

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

What the gently caress, where do you live dude

Any major American city, not in the suburbs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My most prominent memory from the Joker movie was someone’s baby crying in the front row.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

My most prominent memory from the Joker movie was someone’s baby crying in the front row.

This happened to me during Quarantine (Rec remake) and one of the later Saw sequels. Who brings a baby to a hard horror film?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

This happened to me during Quarantine (Rec remake) and one of the later Saw sequels. Who brings a baby to a hard horror film?

From my experience working at a theater: a lot of people, cause the baby is too young to remember it anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They don't remember it they just internalize it subconsciously and end up making weird fetish art on tumblr in 15 years

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Stop putting her on blast, she had an A.V. Club review to write!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Open Marriage Night posted:

This was my memory of seeing Lord of Illusions in the theater, and also the unpleasant smell of feces, during the intro.

Overall it added to the experience.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Zachack posted:

This was my memory of seeing Lord of Illusions in the theater, and also the unpleasant smell of feces, during the intro.

Overall it added to the experience.

How Clive Barker always intended.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember seeing Spider verse and there was someone sitting in the back row with a stupidly loud obnoxious hyena laugh and I kept worrying that they would find the next scene funny

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/nicodelort/status/1342020709774745601?s=19

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Age of Ultron is like 2005 Doom where I know the internet thinks its bad and has good reasons, but I can't connect to any of them. Outside of the trash Banner/Widow stuff, I just think the movie is fun to watch from basically start to finish. I like the team party a lot. I like the groundwork being laid for Civil War between Cap and Tony. The "Everybody in the pool to fight mooks" sequence is actually pretty fun. Hawkeye is pretty great as a character in this movie.

Granted, the only MCU movies I think are mediocre trash are the Iron Man sequels and Thor 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/firstreforms/status/1341572968137240577?s=10

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They should get mads for mcu f4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree that Hawkeye is actually fun in AoU, but it's really a solution to a problem the first Avengers introduced. I implicitly understand why Hawkeye gets mindcontrolled in that movie if anyone on the team has to be, he's the one who's had the least screentime, but that plus him being the "weakest" Avenger just turns the character into a joke. Even with the weird poo poo like the arrow that shoots bullets (???).

Honestly, on second thought I'd maybe have had Fury get mindcontrolled instead and that be the threat that unites the Avengers instead of undermining Hawkeye right out of the gate.