Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Things to remember about resin printing:
You will need other poo poo besides the printer and the resin. This includes gloves, jars and solvents to clean the prints, uv lights to cure them, etc.
Your screen WILL fail on a resin printer, it's considered a consumable. This means you will need to buy a new one eventually. Plan accordingly. Obviously the bigger the screen the more $$$ it is.
Resin printing, even if you know what you are doing, is messy and kinda smelly.
It takes a while to print poo poo that's tall. Detail doesn't matter so much as the z height for working out how long it'll take.
The solvents (isopropyl alcohol/denatured alcohol) are kinda hard to find sometimes, especially in a pandemic. HOWEVER, I've seen water cleaning resin where you can just wash it in water. The downside to this is these prints seem to detonate or crack at a later date if you do not hit them with a UV blocking clearcoat post cure.

All that being said, I find it a lot easier to print poo poo with a resin printer than I ever have had printing FDM. FDM does bigger stuff for cheaper, but there's resin printers out there that can print a fill size iron man helmet in one go. They are something like $3k though, so yea, not cheap plus what the gently caress kinda bucket are you gonna try to use to clean a print that goddamn huge?

Things to do when you get your printer:
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
Buy a new USB cause the ones they include (no matter the company) are poo poo.
Wear gloves. ALL THE TIME. Resin gets EVERYWHERE and gets REALLY loving HOT when it cures via UV (or sun)light.

That's basically all the resin print stuff I know summed up. I have an elegoo mars and an elegoo saturn, and another mars I've yet to unbox and mod with a new extension kit.

Any particular questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to give an honest answer for you.

Thank you for the insight! Luckily for me I already have most of the stuff on hand because I work with regular resin (both UV and epoxy) for fun on the side, so I already have a UV light set up, bottles and bottles of alcohol, and gloves, but it is definitely worth noting all this information!

My twin brother recieved an FDM printer a few years ago and while fun, it just never seemed to have the level of quality I am looking for. After watching the recommended youtuber above, I definitely think I am going to want a resin printer and the Elgoo Mars seems to be the path I am walking down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If you want to gently caress around and make things, yeah get an affordable MSLA printer and (stinky) resins.

If your resin printing situation is more along the lines of "aw poo poo this print failed -- drat that fucks my workflow up hard GOD I DO NOT NEED THIS poo poo RIGHT NOW" then pony up for a Formlabs.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

CommonShore posted:

I really don't find that managing the FDM printer is especially challenging. :shrug:

Isn't the resin way more expensive than PLA, too?

FDM printers work as well as they do because we have good slicers and.. what.. 10 years of industry and hobbiests figuring it out.

The big issue with FDM are people who completely lose the plot, expecting Resin levels of fidelity, and aluminum on a bridgeport levels of parts accuracy. If you can't see your reflection in the top layer your FDM printer is a failure. There are some astounding levels of insanity that happen around FDM printers.

Today, my buddy goes "why is my printer doing *posts picture*". He's underextruding, deeply. But "only the second layer". Well.. that's first layer being to tall. Turns out he had installed a hardened steel nozzle and didn't know the side effects of having a metal with half the thermal conductivity might do to extrusion.

Everyone I've known running BLTouch has had mysterious and insane faults with them at some point. Same friend in fact...

Another was obsessed with part cooling, setup his printer with a pair of 5020 blowers, there's enough airflow that he has layer adhesion issues, and has blown apart bridges.

There's the existing universal "put glass on it" answer for every inexpensive printer. Advice that was valid 8 years ago, that still is the first 50 posts on a "I can't get stuff to stick" questions.

Yes, per gram, resin is more expensive than PLA.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bad Munki posted:

Fits just how I expected, woo!

Hell yeah!

I still love getting parts off the printer that work and do things. It's so satisfying seeing cad models in real life that solve whatever ridiculous problem they're intended to.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

For person looking at resin printing, the Anycubic Wash and Cure station is amazing and worth the money. I'm certain there's equivalents from Elegoo and so forth now, but it's a machine worth having.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

NewFatMike posted:

For person looking at resin printing, the Anycubic Wash and Cure station is amazing and worth the money. I'm certain there's equivalents from Elegoo and so forth now, but it's a machine worth having.

I will look into it! Thank you!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is the photon mono x just as good, but bigger?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tesdinic posted:

I will look into it! Thank you!

Seconding this. As someone who is handy enough to have made my own, I don’t regret for a second having gotten the thing.

I did rig up a second UV light so I could cure the leftover supports and cleaning towels though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tesdinic posted:

Thank you for the insight! Luckily for me I already have most of the stuff on hand because I work with regular resin (both UV and epoxy) for fun on the side, so I already have a UV light set up, bottles and bottles of alcohol, and gloves, but it is definitely worth noting all this information!

95% of the things people consider a huge pain in the rear end about resin printing is pretty much inherent to working with UV resin in any capacity. If you're already used to dealing with it, you're gonna have a great time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also, and I cannot stress this enough, get one of those big aluminum cake pans out turkey roasting pans, and put your printer in that.

That way if the fep ever leaks, it won't end with resin all over the floor and furniture. It'll still be a mess to clean up, but way less of one.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Welp, I've been fighting with the bed leveling on my old Maker Select v2 for a while now where cross corners were all messed up and one corner would want to be WAY lower than the rest. Finally checked the two Z screws and one was like 1mm off from the other :ughh:

Been using my original style CR-10 (with only one z stepper) for so long that I totally forgot about that. Can't believe I was able to get prints to come out pretty good for the most part with it messed up that badly.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

w00tmonger posted:

How realistic/worth my time would printing a 3d printer be nowadays vs just buying a cheap ender 3?

It'd be a great use of your time to build your own machine. If you browse the web aimlessly, watch poo poo TV, read the news, you will be proud of the time you replaced.

And if you do, please update the thread about it, to help slow its degradation into a very specific Yelp.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mofabio posted:

It'd be a great use of your time to build your own machine. If you browse the web aimlessly, watch poo poo TV, read the news, you will be proud of the time you replaced.

And if you do, please update the thread about it, to help slow its degradation into a very specific Yelp.

I'll also add that you can build a printer that's better than any of the usual offerings that way.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'll also add that you can build a printer that's better than any of the usual offerings that way.

This is entirely dependent on your bank account, patience and pain tolerance.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hmm. My printing issues might be deeper than a bad nozzle. I bought the nozzlex but promptly lost it because of family issues distracting me, so today I thought I'd swap on another cheap brass one and just see what I could do with it. A test print clogged after the first layer, and I noticed the hot end has some big globs of filament inside it. I assume it is getting out sideways somehow but I am not sure how. I put the nozzle on and tightened it while at temperature.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Not that I have ever done anything like this because man you’d have to be some kinda dummy! But did you forget to tighten the hot end into the heater block while it was hot? Because that’s an easy to forget step that would lead to exactly that. If you were an idiot. An absolute buffoon. Which I surely am not.

I've certainly never done anything like this either.. Nope, not at all. And I definitely didn't use a heatgun and dental picks to painstakingly remove all the PLA that had theoretically oozed out from around the heat block and everywhere else. Nope, didn't happen.

On a side note... how is the SE300 and Duet upgrade to your RMax treating you? I am still super satisfied with mine. Love the PanelDue. Rarely ever visit the Duet WebUI anymore as I can do everything from the LCD instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

stevewm posted:

I've certainly never done anything like this either.. Nope, not at all. And I definitely didn't use a heatgun and dental picks to painstakingly remove all the PLA that had theoretically oozed out from around the heat block and everywhere else. Nope, didn't happen.

On a side note... how is the SE300 and Duet upgrade to your RMax treating you? I am still super satisfied with mine. Love the PanelDue. Rarely ever visit the Duet WebUI anymore as I can do everything from the LCD instead.

I’m loving it, the prints are great. And I actually love the web UI as my preferred approach. I have it on a static address on my network, and with synced bookmarks across all my devices, it’s like two clicks to pull it up anywhere.

Which was extra cool the other day, I started a print and it looked okay, so I went down to the shop, separate building a couple hundred feet down the hill from my house. Happened to poke my head out huge door of my shop at the same time my daughter stuck her head out the door of the house. “It’s not printing, it’s just making a big ball,” she tells to me. Ten seconds later id killed the print from my phone without moving an inch.

Definitely need to hook a webcam into the thing.

Anyhow, the prints are great, I’ve been making some ornaments and my wife is even impressed with the weirdly smooth surfaces it produces now.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Aurium posted:

Their messaging on dxf is all over the place, but it's still free.

Make a sketch on whatever face you want a dxf of. Right click on the sketch on the list and save it as dxf.

There might have been some sort of file -> export option that's gone, but I never used it in the first place.

Thanks again for this, I just used your method and it seemed to work great.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Scarodactyl posted:

Hmm. My printing issues might be deeper than a bad nozzle. I bought the nozzlex but promptly lost it because of family issues distracting me, so today I thought I'd swap on another cheap brass one and just see what I could do with it. A test print clogged after the first layer, and I noticed the hot end has some big globs of filament inside it. I assume it is getting out sideways somehow but I am not sure how. I put the nozzle on and tightened it while at temperature.

Make sure you get the bowden tube tight to the back of the nozzle (and clean it in the process). This guy's guide to that is pretty good and is useful if you're replacing nozzles or bowden tubes or both:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qqKUwviww

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is entirely dependent on your bank account, patience and pain tolerance.

This was the first unread pst for me and I legit thought I clicked on the tattoo thread by accident.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Doctor Zero posted:

This was the first unread pst for me and I legit thought I clicked on the tattoo thread by accident.

That's funny, I deleted my response post, 'but what activity is that not true of?' Try with: tattoos, cooking, pet ownership, amateur sports, vehicles, travel, college...

Just get a Prusa Just build a printer! We'll help you where we can.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

£15 for a whole new hot end later (came with 2 heaters, 2 thermistors, 5 nozzles, 2 silicone socks, 1m of Bowden tube, fittings) I'm printing Christmas decorations with the 0.5mm nozzle when that's finished up I'll have a go at proving my thin wall/double extrusion theory.

The white PLA I'm using is creality's, it's blobby garbage at whatever temperature. I only got it because the supplier I prefer is always selling out of white. Would not recommend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do not like white 3D printer filament. Anecdotally it usually prints the worst of any of the colors. I suspect it's because it needs more of a pigment load than any other filament to turn it opaque and pure white, and since the pigment (likely something like titanium dioxide) does not melt, it affects the flow and extrusion performance.

Prusa's vanilla white prints way better and it's only slightly cream colored. That's my go-to PLA for general use. But anything that's close to PLA's natural color (translucent straw) will print better than opaque white.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

... pain tolerance.

This, a lot of times over. I've enjoyed the end result of my work on a custom core xy machine, learned a lot of things along the way, but there's a high degree of masochism there. If I wanted to just print, I'd just go spend the equivalent money on something mass produced and get a far more reliable machine. Or spend the same money on many Ender 3s and get 98% (accurate measure, tru) of the capability and have a whole fleet of them.

Some 3D printer designs are better than others, but you'd really have to spend a lot more money to produce something substantially better than the current crop of off the shelf hardware.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

I do not like white 3D printer filament. Anecdotally it usually prints the worst of any of the colors. I suspect it's because it needs more of a pigment load than any other filament to turn it opaque and pure white, and since the pigment (likely something like titanium dioxide) does not melt, it affects the flow and extrusion performance.

Prusa's vanilla white prints way better and it's only slightly cream colored. That's my go-to PLA for general use. But anything that's close to PLA's natural color (translucent straw) will print better than opaque white.

Seconding on this.

I'd rather print with dye-free/natural PLA and then paint the print with white paint for plastics.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

snail posted:

Some 3D printer designs are better than others, but you'd really have to spend a lot more money to produce something substantially better than the current crop of off the shelf hardware.

While I've spent more money than necessary on my BLV Cube, I don't necessarily agree, The additional cost has mostly been because I wanted to experiment. Sure, it's more like $1500-2000, but you do get a bigger build volume and better speed/quality ratios. Also not having a bowden setup makes your life simpler as well.

But sure, anyone starting out and wants to print: Ender 3 if they have basic handy skills, or Prusa if they don't.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I’ve had my Ender 3 Pro for a few weeks now and I’ve been real happy with it. The only calibration I’ve done is make sure the belts are tensioned and did the paper thing to level the bed. I did that autodesk test print (https://github.com/kickstarter/kickstarter-autodesk-3d) yesterday and it came out really nice:

Got a 25/30 according to their scoring system.

Anyone have good, like, stocking stuffer sort of things they’ve made?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I've never seen anyone who didn't like to play with this trilobite. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28259

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Elder Postsman posted:

I’ve had my Ender 3 Pro for a few weeks now and I’ve been real happy with it. The only calibration I’ve done is make sure the belts are tensioned and did the paper thing to level the bed. I did that autodesk test print (https://github.com/kickstarter/kickstarter-autodesk-3d) yesterday and it came out really nice:

Got a 25/30 according to their scoring system.

Anyone have good, like, stocking stuffer sort of things they’ve made?

For kids the flexi animals are fun:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=flexi&type=things&sort=relevant

For generic grown ups coasters are a quick print and there's a ton of designs:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=coasters&type=things&sort=relevant

Likewise pen holders and/or vases that can also be used as pen holders are good for all ages and you can use cool colors:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=pen+holder&type=things&sort=relevant
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=vase&type=things&sort=relevant

If you're giving to someone who uses tools a lot there's a big variety of stubby screwdrivers that take 1/4" bits:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=stubby+screwdriver&type=things&sort=relevant

SD card holders are a good one for nerdy folks who might have a lot of them:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=sd+card+holder&type=things&sort=relevant&page=1

In some ways there are too many choices.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm judging from the 1000 unread comments I haven't been here in a while. I wanted to make some poo poo again, but my Fusion 360 license is supposdly expired. I think I turned on the free mode on the site, they said to log off and on in 30 minutes but it's been hours and it's sitll not working. Am I just screwed if I used the startup license before or is there still some way back in? I'm not using it nearly enough to justify the stupid subscription.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I had to renew recently and it took awhile to activate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I know I'm an infrequent thread contributor, but I mostly view this hobby as ancilliary to my tabletop gaming hobby and the printers as a means to an end. And that sometimes leaves me in a jam since I'm not good with this stuff. For the second time an overnight print got hopelessly gunked up all over the hotend and packed into the housing. tried working it loose with heat and a little elbow grease but I think I'll probably need a whole new assembly. It's an Ender 5 plus that I got second hand pre-assembled. (first time I just called the printer, Ender 3, a total loss :shrug:)

I am hamfisted and not descended from the monkeys who touched the monolith and don't want to gently caress it up worse, so I'm willing to bite the bullet and hire someone to repair it, but I'm not sure how to find such a thing locally (Madison WI area). They ain't printing the yellow pages anymore to look someone up. Any suggestions?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I know madison has a couple of hackerspaces. I'd try emailing one of them to see if they could point you at a member that would take it on.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just posted to my local city subreddit when I needed some help with mine a while back, and got a few volunteers. Picked the closest dude, threw money at him and he fixed it. That or Craigslist might be a good option.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Rexxed posted:

If you're giving to someone who uses tools a lot there's a big variety of stubby screwdrivers that take 1/4" bits:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=stubby+screwdriver&type=things&sort=relevant

This is brilliant and something I never thought to look for, thanks!

There are all kinds of model cards on thingiverse, I printed this F-22 for my two year old cousin and he loves it! Quick and pretty easy to print

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Forseti posted:

There are all kinds of model cards on thingiverse, I printed this F-22 for my two year old cousin and he loves it! Quick and pretty easy to print

these are also pretty great for kids, maybe a little detailed for toddlers but ideal if they're a few years older:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2887652

there's a whole series linked in the description

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted this guy's 2019 3d printed nutcracker video and I recall that somebody printed one, so I'm posting his new model video for 2020!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyD0Ay7f_hk

Forseti posted:

I gave a few of the stubby handles in flouro yellow to my cousin who said they're great for adjusting the carbs on some of his small engine stuff. The bright color makes them easy to see when you drop them in the garage, too!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I just posted to my local city subreddit when I needed some help with mine a while back, and got a few volunteers. Picked the closest dude, threw money at him and he fixed it. That or Craigslist might be a good option.

Aurium posted:

I know madison has a couple of hackerspaces. I'd try emailing one of them to see if they could point you at a member that would take it on.

Good advice, I will try these avenues before I destroy what's a pretty nice printer with my privative ape-hands.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Rexxed posted:

I gave a few of the stubby handles in flouro yellow to my cousin who said they're great for adjusting the carbs on some of his small engine stuff. The bright color makes them easy to see when you drop them in the garage, too!

Yeah I was going to print out an assortment in various colors for my brother in law and gift them along with a cheap assortment of bits from harbor freight or similar. I have a bit assortment from them that I've had for forever and use all the time, but being able to stick all the sizes I need for a particular job into separate handles would be super handy.

Edit: I printed out the first one and it might be juuuust a hair too tight. I stuck it and one of the bits in the freezer to see if I could make it fit but I'm actually not sure if a hole like that gets bigger or smaller when stuck in the freezer. I suspect it may actually get smaller but I could also picture the material contracting and making the outside diameter smaller while the hole's inside diameter gets larger? Dunno, anyone know how something like a washer changes size with cold/heat?

Forseti fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Forseti posted:

Yeah I was going to print out an assortment in various colors for my brother in law and gift them along with a cheap assortment of bits from harbor freight or similar. I have a bit assortment from them that I've had for forever and use all the time, but being able to stick all the sizes I need for a particular job into separate handles would be super handy.

Edit: I printed out the first one and it might be juuuust a hair too tight. I stuck it and one of the bits in the freezer to see if I could make it fit but I'm actually not sure if a hole like that gets bigger or smaller when stuck in the freezer. I suspect it may actually get smaller but I could also picture the material contracting and making the outside diameter smaller while the hole's inside diameter gets larger? Dunno, anyone know how something like a washer changes size with cold/heat?

I think it kind of contracts in all directions? I'd considering putting some hot water in and then pushing the bit in to shape it a little better, although maybe just print another one after adjusting your settings. You can dial in some expansion settings in your slicer if you don't want to try to adjust e-steps for your motors. CHEP has an older video about doing it in Cura:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jsBI3OeUJQ