Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's too bad the game doesn't have more spells to stick to a theme then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you do have telekinesis and magic stone off the dome

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Also Magic Missile is literally hurling a magic shot at your enemy that could easily be flavored as a thrown dagger or sword. This is for sure about abusing a level 1 spell just like the first time that guy dragged this dumbshit houserule in here months ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And at (significantly) higher levels animate objects is concentration but great. Just able to have like 10 daggers or ball bearings flying around and loving people up. As a bonus action!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If the player's fine with it and the group's fine with it, what's the problem? Honestly out of all the poo poo we give Raenir's group, this doesn't even twig my radar. Enabling someone to play the character they want to play is a good thing (with the usual caveats about not stealing spotlight time and so on).

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

mlmp08 posted:

And at (significantly) higher levels animate objects is concentration but great. Just able to have like 10 daggers or ball bearings flying around and loving people up. As a bonus action!

I was playing a sorcerer named Midas, so of course I was using gold coins to obliterate monsters with, while quipping poo poo like, "Stay golden!" and, "this looks like it could use the Midas touch!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Raenir Salazar posted:

for a change of pace made one person go, "If you do not we're just going to ignore what your character says and does because you shouldn't be switching characters.".

You deserve every bit of stupidity in your game for putting up with bullshit like this. Seriously get another group or quit because everything you’ve posted reads like badD&Dgroup.txt What are you even getting out of it at this point because goddamn I’d say bye on the spot at any number of things you’ve posted.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If the player's fine with it and the group's fine with it, what's the problem? Honestly out of all the poo poo we give Raenir's group, this doesn't even twig my radar. Enabling someone to play the character they want to play is a good thing (with the usual caveats about not stealing spotlight time and so on).

Dude can do whatever. Not like we can reach through the internet and make him use the RAW rules of Catapult. "Fine with it" is probably a stretch though since his group clearly isn't fine with anything at all, ever.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

please knock Mom! posted:

I would quit d&d if I had to play with that guy’s group judging from the posts which end up itt

You also have to look at it as one person’s perspective which may not align with everyone else in that group’s perspective of how things go.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

You deserve every bit of stupidity in your game for putting up with bullshit like this. Seriously get another group or quit because everything you’ve posted reads like badD&Dgroup.txt What are you even getting out of it at this point because goddamn I’d say bye on the spot at any number of things you’ve posted.

I don't think anyone deserves abuse ever tbh or to be victim blamed but you do you. I intact them in circumstances that extend well beyond just a D&D game and make up something like 95% of my existing social circle, I don't really have much choice if I want to play D&D.

theironjef posted:

Dude can do whatever. Not like we can reach through the internet and make him use the RAW rules of Catapult. "Fine with it" is probably a stretch though since his group clearly isn't fine with anything at all, ever.

They complain about catapult being bad and that I shouldn't ever be using it, so if DM's rulings made it viable as a mainstay I assume they're keeping quiet because it makes my character more effective.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This really. It makes me have fun and its a saving grace. And its fun sometimes just being able to point at some broken plates and hitting someone with it.

Declan MacManus posted:

you do have telekinesis and magic stone off the dome

Telekinesis is a 5th level spell, as is Animate Objects, I don't think we're fighting vampires with Magic Stone, although I wish I knew about it before hand because I would've used it instead of Fire (Psychic damage version) Bolt.

In terms of Jedi like waving my hand a big rock or a sword hits someone there's only Catapult it seems and 5th level spells are far away.

e to add: Like I didn't post anything here for like the past month because I was legitimately having fun and whatever arguments and disagreements were fairly minimal, I also roped in a friend I trusted to join the group who I trust to be objective and to help mediate some of the arguments so that helped a lot as well. And if they're having fun I'm certainly not abandoning them to the group.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 23, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's nothing wrong with a homebrew to make something stronger or weaker. One of the problems it seems your group is having is that when doing so, set up the homebrew with the DM, get it in writing (not like contract law, but just so everyone can refer to and remember it), and then go for it. It would be pretty trivial to reskin or slightly modify another spell to do what you're going for to both keep in the spirit of a mind-sorcerer who uses physical objects while also having the utility most players typically expect of a sorcerer. You (or the DM) could basically take the spell of fireball and instead of it being a literal fireball, it's instead the catapult sorcerer furiously using magic to hurl a bag of nails that do equivalent DEX Save AOE damage, minus the flames.

Or that fireball could use 1 sword as basically a spell component. Your character draws so much force, energy, anger whatever, that it blade-shatters the sword on impact, sacrificing it to create a spherical AOE of metal shard damage. Works exactly like a fireball, but it has a very distinct flavor.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There is one very specific issue though, is that the flavour of it isn't the same thing as having something that is mechanically distinct from the other members of the group using the same spell, half the group in our entirely full caster party are going to take fireball. Annoyingly whichever pact the warlock has also gives him a telekinetic shove; half the party reskinned some of their spells to do psychic damage. So already out the gate my attempt at making a very unique feeling character was eroded; the switch to tasha's removed the die rolling from the telekinesis feat as well so I think its even a weaker shove compared to the warlock who isn't even remotely psionic!

Reskinning a spell doesn't change the fact that it's still a spell that does X and nothing more or less, anyone else can reskin it to do the same thing if they wanted to. For me its fun that what catapult does changes based on what ammo it uses and does so on the fly. You can't shake that "this is still fireball but dealing a different type of damage"; there's a lack of flexibility in that space.

The beauty of catapult so far is that said other members would never use the spell because its firmly stuck in their mind that's a bad spell, which I've with some cooperation of the DM turned around into a good and fun spell which gives me a lot of out of combat batman-esque busywork to do to prepare the spell in advance. I'm hitting up shop keepers and melting down scrap metal for ball bearings and stuff and getting smashable clay pots and nets and other things to go with it because that flexibility gives me character a very unique way of contributing to the battle no one else wants to do.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think you and your group might just deserve one another

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

which gives me a lot of out of combat batman-esque busywork to do to prepare the spell in advance. I'm hitting up shop keepers and melting down scrap metal for ball bearings and stuff and getting smashable clay pots and nets and other things to go with it because that flexibility gives me character a very unique way of contributing to the battle no one else wants to do.

This is where I have to bow out because my personal biases don't make me useful. As a DM, there's almost nothing I care less about than when a player wants to go on a shopping spree and do a bunch of weird crafting. Typically I'm just like "yeah, sure, do that on your own time and out of session, and as long as you don't show up next session with 200 pounds on your back or the most bespoke recipes on the planet, I don't care."

unrelated to the above:
Bonus annoyance for when a player wants to haggle for every single basic 5 copper piece transaction or is trying to do balance their virtual checkbook if someone orders a round of ale (I never make people pay for this stuff, unless it's like... the holy elixer of whatever or you're level 1 with a backstory of "naked and broke out of jail 1 minute ago"). I say player, rather than character, deliberately, because there is a way to make a character poor or cheap or kind of a jerk, but some players are inherently so resource-oriented that they do that as a form of power-gaming whether they mean to or not.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just subtract 1 gold every time I buy something small and it keeps my books nice and tidy and also codifies my character as a good tipper

edit: except for skrol'bar, who paid for everything in units of his weird garbage electrum currency without doing any conversion

"Five copper? Sorry, buddy, i don't have the money. How bout five of these, is that enough??"

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 23, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

I just subtract 1 gold every time I buy something small and it keeps my books nice and tidy and also codifies my character as a good tipper

I have a character who is cheap, but it requires essentially zero book-keeping. Just every time they're taken out to lunch by an employer or whatever, he buys the largest by volume/mass item he can get, then wraps it in butcher paper and saves it for resale* or for later while he pulls out and eats his own hard tack. This is a campaign where the players have day jobs together and go home to their own respective places each night.

*This resale is never actually done in a session, it's just that everyone knows this lame dude is trying to hock a 5 hour old sandwich for a few coppers in the slum where he lives when he's on the way home from work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I never haggle with PHB prices unless it costs a gold or more which, as a low level party gold is fairly precious. 5sp? Take it. Fifty gp? Hold up a sec, there better be a side quest I can do instead for that!

Shopping is another oppurtunity to talk to NPCs, learn their foibbles, and see if there's anything amiss in the town, shopping is I think, a pretty good way to make inroads to the npc's and whats going on.

TheAardvark posted:

i think you and your group might just deserve one another

I don't really see it. I would've played the actual psion class that existed in 3.5e instead of trying to kludge it together with what exists in 5e.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm rolling 1d4 weeks between each chapter and giving my players Downtime and utilizing Lifestyle Expenses rule. They're all enrolled in schools and pulling in 1gp a day from the school. If they work a job during their downtime that's another 1gp. The gargoyle (re-skinned Warforged) doesn't need to sleep or eat and is pulling in 2gp a day from the school and his job. A pearl for casting the Level 1 spell Identify costs 50gp, it would take him between 3-4 weeks to earn enough gold to cast it literally one time. No sense in being withholding with gold, especially when it comes to wizard PCs who have to drop tons of money just to be viable in their slot without a ton of freebies. And I don't need to have creatures who wouldn't carry items or gold suddenly carry them or have a stash when they wouldn't. Plus all the most interesting Downtime activities are expensive anyway.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

A pearl for casting the Level 1 spell Identify costs 50gp, it would take him between 3-4 weeks to earn enough gold to cast it literally one time.

I largely agree with your post but: Identify doesn’t consume the pearl, so he’s only gotta buy the one to do it as many times as he likes.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh poo poo, thanks! It also costs 100gp not 50gp, lol. Don't know where I got 50gp from. Either way, it's fine.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
You might be thinking of Chromatic Orb, which has a re-usable 50 GP diamond as its material component.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think anyone deserves abuse ever tbh or to be victim blamed but you do you. I intact them in circumstances that extend well beyond just a D&D game and make up something like 95% of my existing social circle, I don't really have much choice if I want to play D&D.

You REALLY need to hit up one of the LFG threads on here, you have so many other options...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think its really a playstyle issue, because Rob did go through like a two session multipart quest investigating and rooting out a smuggling ring from the city were at that had infiltrated the city guard; i think it's a combination of pre-5e assumptions about alignment combined with personality issues.
Honestly it just sounds like the way they want to play is fundamentally different to the way you want to play.

In an ideal world you'd find another group, but I guess next time play a character that fits more with what the rest of the group wants.

It's also possible they're jealous you're doing ludicrous damage thanks to your DM's homebrew catapult rules. Do they all have abilities that do as much extra damage?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks! It also costs 100gp not 50gp, lol. Don't know where I got 50gp from. Either way, it's fine.
If the spell consumes the component it'll say in the listing. For example revivify / raise dead / resurrection all use various sizes of diamonds that are consumed in the casting, which is a useful way of limiting the amount of raises your clerics can do.

If it lists a cost in GP but doesn't specifically say it's consumed, then you just have to have that component on you and you can keep using the same one each time.

If you want to throw them a bone, let the wizard loot the component (i.e. off another wizard) rather than have them shop for it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's also possible they're jealous you're doing ludicrous damage thanks to your DM's homebrew catapult rules. Do they all have abilities that do as much extra damage?

Hrm, never heard them complain and I think I'd know if they did :v: Everyone contributes about equally to the encounter and until very recently the party member with the demonic sword that healed on hit was way outshining the rest of the party (they went onto a pirate boat alone and killed everyone). I just occassionally deal decent spurts of damage but I spread it out with Suggestion / Mind Whip / Psionic Bolt / Mind Sliver; like I rarely use Catapult against a single target because I want to maximize the chance of hitting someone.

Last session "Rob" was using his demon katana he got from the recent boss which was very very very cursed (he's fine because he's a warlock) and basically carried us through the spider fight.

So yes I do think we all get at varying times abilities or items that can be very impressive come to think of it.

KingKalamari posted:

You REALLY need to hit up one of the LFG threads on here, you have so many other options...

I'm a bit hesitant since the last time I did goon MP was with Wargame and I recall it being a bit off putting. The most recent time before that was probably EVE-Online. I'm also just very busy with personal projects and if I dropped this game I probably wouldn't be able to summon the effort to try again for probably a year. And again, I'm attached to my current character and the story I've invested in, and the last time there was a big fight was like over a month ago, maybe the DM is getting better at this, I spoke with them today and we'll see if we can improve things for next week.

One thing I'm going to try to suggest is that the other players (I've suggested it to the DM but I don't think he quite understood me) think of roleplaying as like, "quantum" overlapping spheres of influence. If something happens in the "outer orbit" or their roleplaying with you, i.e you're overhearing a PC talk to someone else, that's your outer orbit, you only know the gist of what their saying, and need to roll checks and make an effort to know more. Basically by analogy, in Bioware games like Mass Effect or KOTOR Online, what your dialogue choice indicates might not reflect what your or another character actually says. And shouldn't be the basis on its own for some kind of action that can have consequence, result in conflict, or inconvenience the other player.

But if something happens in a much closer orbit, and towards the "core" of your character, then you can act more directly and forcefully. I.e someone attacks someone. Someone doing something that affects you directly is always low orbit or your core, but merely talking to you isn't necessarily your core. What you say in character isn't necessasarily what your character is literally saying in character. There should be sufficient room for possible nuance and interpretation as to not be actionable on its own.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Or you know, ask him if he can tell them not to metagame.

E: That came off sounding lovely. I didn't mean it to. Not all groups are perfect and sometimes you have to just work with what you've got.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 24, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Honestly I think what your group wants is something besides D&D, since it sounds like everyone is doing up custom builds that just keep upping the power level and stakes, and there are games out there robust enough or simplistic enough to handle descriptive play which don't take a ton of work to deal with (what sounds like a depressing amount of) anime demon swords.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Well, its finally happened to me: I'm playing a rogue with a dm that doesn't really understand advantage rules, so I have yet to get a single sneak attack. Thinking of going swashbuckler just to have an outside chance of doing so.

Feel like I can check a box on my dnd player achievements list now.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Swashbuckler owns but maybe tell your dm that sneak attack is the only way your character is ever going to deal more than 10 damage a turn

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i mean swashbuckler isn’t an outside chance, it means melee sneak attack any time you don’t explicitly have disadvantage as long as no one else is around; if your dm is still loving that up then they just might not be competent enough to run a gams

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Swashbuckler is my favorite rogue, maybe with a fighter dip but it’s just solid by itself too.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Jeremor posted:

Well, its finally happened to me: I'm playing a rogue with a dm that doesn't really understand advantage rules, so I have yet to get a single sneak attack. Thinking of going swashbuckler just to have an outside chance of doing so.

Feel like I can check a box on my dnd player achievements list now.

You don't need advantage for sneak attack as a non-swashbuckler either, just a friend next to the enemy gets you it. This should get you some before you manage get the swashbuckler.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah even disregarding advantage are you at least getting sneak attack while any of your allies are within 5 feet of your target?

I've been having an issue in one campaign I'm in as a moon druid initially turning into things with pack tactics whereas the other two party members are an archer fighter and a polearm fighter (and an NPC bard that only attacks from range) so I'd never have an ally within five feet of a target except incidentally because enemies eventually get within 5 feet of the polearm fighter.

So I started using Conjure Animals and eventually Summon Elemental so now I'm simultaneously a tank and a summoner I guess.

The DM has previously expressed frustration about how tanky my character can be and it's like ... this is the best way I can contribute to the party? I'm directly engaging in these combats you're setting up? He's gotten better over time, though, after getting a proper grasp of how damage sinks and concentration work. And I knowingly--as a giant spider--crawled along the side of a pit to approach monsters that can cause paralysis if you see their eyes from within 30 or 60 feet and left it on the dice to determine the result (which ended up being failing, falling, and taking enough damage to end the wildshape. Burned my last wildshape to get back up and we did win in the end).

I'm struggling to remember what they were and searching isn't going well. Might have been a trio of banshees? But I'm pretty sure they were something else.

In contrast, there's a moon druid in the game I'm running, and when he pulled the Conjure Animals card and summoned a pack of eight wolves in the last combat we ran I was overjoyed: these monsters they're fighting can slaughter these summoned animals to demonstrate that they are a threat without any of the players feeling like I'm targeting them.

my roommate still got paralyzed again from a melee attack tho lol, chuuls can be rough. Especially when there are five chuuls, even with reduced HP.

still having to do Remedial Tactics about 5E every session with a combat though, It's mind-boggling that the 5E action economy is apparently so esoteric to some.

DM: "Two chuuls failed to stay upright against the wolfpack onslaught, so melee attacks against them have advantage. One standing chuul has taken more damage."

Player: "I walk up and attack one of the two standing and undamaged chuuls!"

DM: "loving why?"

Some of the chuuls were being affected by Slow as well but even though I was as explicit as possible about how that works and how it was taking their armor class from 16 to 14 (because they'd already hit on 16 and missed on 17 on chuuls that weren't Slowed) they'd still try (and mostly fail) against the unharmed and unaffected chuuls like

jesus y'all need to focus

Is there anyone with success in explaining to party members how priorities work in 5E's action economy?

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 24, 2020

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

FFT posted:

Yeah even disregarding advantage are you at least getting sneak attack while any of your allies are within 5 feet of your target?

Nope. I asked for it once during a pretty obvious circumstance, and he said no since I wasn't attacking from stealth. Its a pick up group, so I didn't want to grind poo poo to a halt on our first session.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jeremor posted:

Nope. I asked for it once during a pretty obvious circumstance, and he said no since I wasn't attacking from stealth. Its a pick up group, so I didn't want to grind poo poo to a halt on our first session.

Yeah challenge that. That's not misinterpreting the rules that's just straight up ignoring the rules as written.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jeremor posted:

Maybe share this prep sheet on hiding with your DM and get their feedback. If both of you are nodding at what's being written, then you can have shared expectations. Otherwise I'd switch classes to avoid bad feelings. http://dmsworkshop.com/2019/02/08/dnd-hiding-in-combat/

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Jeremor posted:

The rules are that you have sneak attack whenever you have advantage for any reason, which you can get by attacking from stealth, yes.

But you don't need advantage if another enemy of the target is within 5ft of whoever you are attacking, so long as the enemy of your enemy isn't incapacitated and you don't have disadvantage.

Being in stealth doesn't inherently give you sneak attack, it's the attacking with advantage that does so.

This is all in the description for sneak attack, so you should definitely give it a read and show the DM.

Or change class.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Reveilled posted:

Waterdeep also has newspapers now, so when we did Dragon Heist I liked writing little articles for the players to read if they bought a paper, usually referencing events the PCs had experienced, but obviously wrong due to lacking knowledge of the players' involvement.

This is a cool idea. I usually do a recap in the Roll20 game forum with important stuff in caps like the Star Wars movie crawls, but I like the newspaper idea.

For Rime, I'm using a quest journal page where the party's default tokens also sit:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Syrinxx posted:

This is a cool idea. I usually do a recap in the Roll20 game forum with important stuff in caps like the Star Wars movie crawls, but I like the newspaper idea.

For Rime, I'm using a quest journal page where the party's default tokens also sit:

I should try to screencap the one our DM is using on Sunday, it has the Icewind Dale map "unrolled" on a tavern table with things marked off on it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Syrinxx posted:

The two sites I used to make newspapers were this one, for very short articles:
https://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp

And this larger one for when I wanted some larger article to cover some momentous event in the campaign:
https://arthr.newspaperclub.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

change my name posted:

I should try to screencap the one our DM is using on Sunday, it has the Icewind Dale map "unrolled" on a tavern table with things marked off on it

Please share! We're kicking off Frostmaiden(mariner, I will keep calling it) this weekend.