Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

That joke at the end woulda KILLED in 2011!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am inordinately annoyed at the drawing of the giant water drop descending through the cloud. The entire conceit is that all of the precipitable moisture has been collected into one drop. There would be no cloud left :spergin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

There are a lot of horrible failures in this thread, but none is greater than the fact that you - yes, you - have not yet played the Sheep Game!

We have just over a week left before the deadline for the annual AI Sheep Game, and I've only heard from 27 players so far. We can do better than this, AI, and we have! It's my hope that we will break our record this year for the largest Sheep Game of all, which would require 35 more players! There are a lot of people in this thread who post a ton here, but have never participated...why not get in on the fun for the first time ever?

:siren::siren:Click on the picture to continue to the Sheep Game thread!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Chrpno posted:

That joke at the end woulda KILLED in 2011!

You realize that was probably posted around then right?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
X-post from PYF:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qlnp2i7TsD1r0uzl6.mp4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Horrible mechanical success! o7

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

wrong thread

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Big Taint posted:

wrong thread

Well there isn't a "Soon-to-be HMF" thread

He'll be looking like James Bond in the Renault 11 soon

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

um excuse me posted:

The engine shut downs on the way up were planned. The extreme gymballing was to orient the rocket so that the remaining engines would thrust through the center of mass. The only thing that did not work was the propulsive landing. It was even dead center on target.

Good enough to hit London, Wernher von Braun approves.

YouTube for some strange reason:tinfoil: has been recommending me videos about the V-2 lately. So far the most... interesting... part was the igniter they used. Shouldn't have surprised me really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fPdXLx48c&t=2095s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

. So far the most... interesting... part was the igniter they used. Shouldn't have surprised me really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fPdXLx48c&t=2095s

lmao

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

So far the most... interesting... part was the igniter they used. Shouldn't have surprised me really.

Ah but actually it's an ancient Buddhist igniter and futhermore blah blah blah

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can smell the clutch from here.

loving amazing that the frame isn't just tearing itself apart (yet). :stare:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

Good enough to hit London, Wernher von Braun approves.

Ze rockets go up, who cares ver zey come down. Zat's not my department.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 21, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

STR posted:

I can smell the clutch from here.

You just reminded me of a video I saw in the early part of the century.

Guy in a transam revs the engine up and pops the clutch trying to do a burn out. The tires didn't spin if you catch my drift, but there was a lot of smoke coming from under the car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wesleywillis posted:

You just reminded me of a video I saw in the early part of the century.

Guy in a transam revs the engine up and pops the clutch trying to do a burn out. The tires didn't spin if you catch my drift, but there was a lot of smoke.

That was a corvette I think.

Edit: Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oebzAIZEfxQ

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^^^ no it was a white car.

What year is that car! Don't know my modern vettes. I saw this video in about 02-04 or so.

Cojawfee posted:

That was a corvette I think.

Edit: Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oebzAIZEfxQ
Possible. It was nearly 20 years ago. Certain it was a t/a though. Probably not the only video of something like that happening.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 22, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There was one of an 00-02 Trans Am doing the same thing. I remember it as well.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I remember seeing a video like that, the guy seemed clueless

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
How do you even make something like that happen? Like did he not dump the clutch but instead barely let it go enough to barely make contact?

How is that not staged? The cameraman moves in front of the car while he’s still revving the engine like he knows it’s not going anywhere lol

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

namlosh posted:

How do you even make something like that happen? Like did he not dump the clutch but instead barely let it go enough to barely make contact?

How is that not staged? The cameraman moves in front of the car while he’s still revving the engine like he knows it’s not going anywhere lol

Either it's staged, or the guy was scared of dropping the clutch, there's no other explanation. I'm leaning towards it being real and the guy didn't know he was munching the clutch because he popped the trunk in response to smoke coming from his car. I think the friend recording realized what was going on and knew that that car wasn't going to move more than the half step it lurched forward

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I don't know a thing about doing burnouts but, based on some of the comments, it looks like he got on the brakes too soon and too hard. Between the brakes grabbing harder than the clutch and the engine having enough torque and momentum at that moment to overcome the clutch's clamping springs and friction pads and not stall out, the clutch didn't stand a chance.

Are you even supposed to use the brakes during a burnout? That seems like a good way to destroy both your rear tires and brakes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Edward IV posted:

I don't know a thing about doing burnouts but, based on some of the comments, it looks like he got on the brakes too soon and too hard. Between the brakes grabbing harder than the clutch and the engine having enough torque and momentum at that moment to overcome the clutch's clamping springs and friction pads and not stall out, the clutch didn't stand a chance.

Are you even supposed to use the brakes during a burnout? That seems like a good way to destroy both your rear tires and brakes.
Unless you have a brake line lock that only holds the fronts closed you'll be using your brakes, yeah.

Clutch in, rev engine, clutch out left foot immediately on brake while keeping on gas. If you want the car to move instead of staying in place just never get on the brakes.

Source: own mustang. :q:

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 23, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Also yeah you're hurting the rear brakes in the process but the front bias and extra size on that end helps. Feather the brakes.

Unless you're fwd then you just ebrake and clutch dump :P

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Rolling burnouts are the best and the worst of ideas, after all.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Lol at that guy destroying his corvette, also lol at the guy walking in front of a car that's got it's throttle pegged.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

Unless you have a brake line lock that only holds the fronts closed you'll be using your brakes, yeah.

Clutch in, rev engine, clutch out left foot immediately on brake while keeping on gas. If you want the car to move instead of staying in place just never get on the brakes.

Source: own mustang. :q:

It's a little easier with an automagic, of course, but still a balancing act. Source: own a Crown Vic that needed new tires. :D

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AI.jpg right there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

AI.jpg right there.

Just replace the horse with a gas can, and the car in the pond with a battery.
Or maybe manual and automatic transmissions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

Just replace the horse with a gas can, and the car in the pond with a battery.
Or maybe manual and automatic transmissions.

Or touch screens. Or CVTs. Or DCTs. Or power windows.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Touch screens are a legit failure though

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So are CVTs

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Touch screens are a legit failure though

Agreed.

edit: touch screens as a primary control system, anyway.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Darchangel posted:

Agreed.

edit: touch screens as a primary control system, anyway.

Wasn't the SpaceX dragon capsule going to be decked out with touchscreens? I'm sure that's fine, rockets are known for producing minimal vibrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Dragon capsule is indeed decked out with touchscreens but they aren't primary flight controls. The capsule actually has no flight controls for the ascent period, because in that phase it is not a pilotable vehicle. It's a computer-controlled capsule that happens to be man-rated. The astronauts inside only use the screens to monitor values and go through checklists. In the event of an emergency, the astronauts are limited to pressing the big ABORT button (which is a physical button, along with the other critical controls).

I completely agree that touchscreens are a terrible interface for anything you may to operate seamlessly/sight-unseen in an emergency, but the launch cycle of the Dragon capsule just doesn't have any of that in it. The astronauts are just along for the ride.

Once the astronauts are in space I believe they do actually use the touchscreens to fly the capsule (under computer guidance, of course) into the docking position, but that's an incredibly methodical process that takes literal hours while approaching at 0.1m/s or something so the touchscreens may be okay.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The Dragon capsule is indeed decked out with touchscreens but they aren't primary flight controls. The capsule actually has no flight controls, because it is not a pilotable vehicle. It's a computer-controlled capsule that happens to be man-rated. The astronauts inside only use the screens to monitor values and go through checklists. In the event of an emergency, the astronauts are limited to pressing the big ABORT button (which is a physical button, along with the other critical controls).

I completely agree that touchscreens are a terrible interface for anything you may to operate seamlessly/sight-unseen in an emergency, but the use cycle of the Dragon capsule just doesn't have any of that in it. The astronauts are just along for the ride.

Dragon Capsule runs right into a mail truck because of the early morning sun angle.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

LifeSunDeath posted:

Dragon Capsule runs right into a mail truck an Amazon Delivery Drone(tm) because of the early morning sun angle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

The Dragon capsule is indeed decked out with touchscreens but they aren't primary flight controls. The capsule actually has no flight controls for the ascent period, because in that phase it is not a pilotable vehicle. It's a computer-controlled capsule that happens to be man-rated. The astronauts inside only use the screens to monitor values and go through checklists. In the event of an emergency, the astronauts are limited to pressing the big ABORT button (which is a physical button, along with the other critical controls).

I completely agree that touchscreens are a terrible interface for anything you may to operate seamlessly/sight-unseen in an emergency, but the launch cycle of the Dragon capsule just doesn't have any of that in it. The astronauts are just along for the ride.

Once the astronauts are in space I believe they do actually use the touchscreens to fly the capsule (under computer guidance, of course) into the docking position, but that's an incredibly methodical process that takes literal hours while approaching at 0.1m/s or something so the touchscreens may be okay.

Out of curiousity, what level of radiation hardening do these systems have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Memento posted:

Out of curiousity, what level of radiation hardening do these systems have?

Stuff that goes to space is usually radiation tested to whatever the environmental design requirement is for the area it is mounted in. So if that portion of the craft doesn’t experience radiation at levels that’s necessitate it, minimal. If it’s on the outside of the craft, likely a fair amount of design went into radiation concerns.