Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

RandomFerret posted:

The Detective can't be a Die Hard movie because it wasn't written as a sequel to a different movie and then reworked into Die Hard.

edit Yes this means that Die Hard 5 is also not a Die Hard movie

None of the Die Hard sequels past 2 were originally written as sequels. Most notably With a Vengeance was originally a script called Simon Says that was essentially the same as what you saw on screen but without any allusion to McClane or Gruber. This is greatly evidenced by all the additional characters in the film. There are a bunch of other NYPD officers who originally had much larger parts. Ricky the bomb disposal guy, Graham Greene's character etc.. There was originally a lot more sub plot between the terrorists including a love triangle that was mostly omitted. You should check out the original ending. I believe that the original script for Die Hard 3 was actually reworked into Speed 2: Cruise Control and would have involved McClain's daughter like in NLF and played by Brittney Spears.

This happens all the time in Hollywood when franchises get stale. They just pick a script they already bought years before off the shelf and do a rewrite.

I was just looking for Nothing Lasts Forever on Amazon and found this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608879763?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
In my house we watch Die Hard every Christmas morning after opening presents while making a gingerbread Nakatomi Plaza. This year I'll be doing a reading of the above by the fireplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

James Woods posted:

None of the Die Hard sequels past 2 were originally written as sequels. Most notably With a Vengeance was originally a script called Simon Says that was essentially the same as what you saw on screen but without any allusion to McClane or Gruber. This is greatly evidenced by all the additional characters in the film. There are a bunch of other NYPD officers who originally had much larger parts. Ricky the bomb disposal guy, Graham Greene's character etc.. There was originally a lot more sub plot between the terrorists including a love triangle that was mostly omitted. You should check out the original ending. I believe that the original script for Die Hard 3 was actually reworked into Speed 2: Cruise Control and would have involved McClain's daughter like in NLF and played by Brittney Spears.

This happens all the time in Hollywood when franchises get stale. They just pick a script they already bought years before off the shelf and do a rewrite.

I was just looking for Nothing Lasts Forever on Amazon and found this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608879763?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
In my house we watch Die Hard every Christmas morning after opening presents while making a gingerbread Nakatomi Plaza. This year I'll be doing a reading of the above by the fireplace.

Die Hard with a Vengeance is the only good Die Hard sequel. Both were directed by John McTiernan, who ended up in prison over...[checks notes] crimes related to the 2000 movie Rollerball. He's pretty much banished from Hollywood, but he could direct drat good Die Hard films.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Die Hard with a Vengeance is the only good Die Hard sequel. Both were directed by John McTiernan, who ended up in prison over...[checks notes] crimes related to the 2000 movie Rollerball. He's pretty much banished from Hollywood, but he could direct drat good Die Hard films.

I always thought Die Hard 2 was underrated. It's a total rehash of the original but I think it gets the spirit of Die Hard better than any of thie other sequels. I enjoy it in the same way I do Predator 2. I always wondered why John McTiernan fell off the map. That explains a lot.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIRC Tears of the Sun was tangentially written as a Die Hard sequel where John was supposed to rescue his daughter Lucy. Then things got changed around and it ended up what we saw.

I liked Tears of the Sun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That one's a bit of broken telephone.

There was a script called Tears of the Sun that Bruce Willis read about and liked. He wanted it to be Die Hard 4, but that never materialized.

Willis liked the title so much though that one of his conditions to do Die Hard 4 was that whoever owned Tears of the Sun (Fox presumably) let him have the title for a movie he was producing and starring in.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Haha, Rollerball was indeed a criminally bad film and everyone involved deserv--

quote:

He pleaded guilty to perjury and lying to an FBI investigator in regard to his hiring of the private investigator Anthony Pellicano in late 2000 to illegally wiretap the phone calls of two people, one of whom was Charles Roven, a co-producer of his dystopian science-fiction action film remake Rollerball (2002).[4] He was incarcerated in federal prison from April 2013 to February 2014

:stare:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Imagine going to prison over loving Rollerball

It would be less embarrassing to be in there for three strikes public urination

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Phy posted:

The F&F movies are Vin Diesel's increasingly high-level and ludicrous tabletop RPG campaign, the cars are their +2 vorpal swords

Dom's the DMPC, the Rock is that one guy who always has to make the campaign all about him, Brian's player had a kid and can't make the time to play any more, but Han's coming back because they're all playing online in roll20 now

my partner is running a 5th ed D&D game based on the first F&F movie, where we have to infiltrate a group that are robing caravans on horseback, but we haven't gotten to that part yet

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

GoldStandardConure posted:

my partner is running a 5th ed D&D game based on the first F&F movie, where we have to infiltrate a group that are robing caravans on horseback, but we haven't gotten to that part yet

ha. That opening scene from the first Fast and Furious was based on the horseback heist from John Ford's film Stagecoach.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

deoju posted:

ha. That opening scene from the first Fast and Furious was based on the horseback heist from John Ford's film Stagecoach.

Did someone ride a horse under the stagecoach? It's been a while since I saw it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, they got that part from Alluda Majaaka (1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUi_gGZY2m0

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

McTiernan did the first Predator too. Guys got better hits than misses.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Man, I like the original Rollerball, but it's not a subtle movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The McTiernan remake of Rollerball is the opposite of subtle too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dfi-b-qns

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

McTiernan did the first Predator too. Guys got better hits than misses.

And Hunt for Red October, which is up there with Twister on my personal "if it is on cable I am watching this movie now" list

One of my most boomery habits tbh

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Phy posted:

And Hunt for Red October, which is up there with Twister on my personal "if it is on cable I am watching this movie now" list

One of my most boomery habits tbh

I think maybe two women have a speaking role in that entire movie.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

VanSandman posted:

I’m pretty sure that’s more than the book had, unless the husband & wife spy team that played a big role in Cardinal of the Kremlin and some of the follow up books were in there and I just forgot it...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean yeah but the US only allowed women on subs in 2011, and it's still not allowed in Russia.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah that's kinda like complaining about the lack of female representation in The Shawshank Redemption.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

VanSandman posted:

Buddy, never watch The Thing

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

oldpainless posted:

Buddy, never watch The Thing

Counterpoint: watch The Thing, it is the greatest horror movie

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There was some clickbait article like a week ago about 15 movies that extra failed the Bechdel test by having no female roles and it included All Is Lost and My Dinner With Andre, among others.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

James Woods posted:

Yeah that's kinda like complaining about the lack of female representation in The Shawshank Redemption.

Oh yeah I'm not complaining, it's an accurate representation of what the environments were like in the time they were portrayed. I just thought it was noticeable the last time I watched it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's not particularly subtle, especially on a rewatch, but I love how often the commodities like orange juice, bacon etc are shown throughout Trading Places.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Eh! Frank posted:

Counterpoint: watch The Thing, it is the greatest horror movie

I don’t think there’s a single speaking role for a woman in that movie

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

oldpainless posted:

There is in fact 1 female role in that movie. Adrienne Barbeau is the voice of MacReady’s chess computer.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

oldpainless posted:

There's plenty in the original.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

AFewBricksShy posted:

There is in fact 1 female role in that movie. Adrienne Barbeau is the voice of MacReady’s chess computer.

Does that make her an Adrienne Barbeau bot?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

MichiganCubbie posted:

Does that make her an Adrienne Barbeau bot?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

There go my nipples again.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Not a subtle moment per se but relevant to recent conversation. In the late eighties Joel Silver had a few action movies in the pipe. At the time a screenwriter who had written one of Silver's previous action hits was pitching a script called Die Hard. Silver wanted to make this movie but asked the screenwriter if he could use the name for a separate project he was working on, an adaptation of the novel Nothing Lasts Forever. Am agreement was made and three years after Die Hard Silver produced Shane Black's The Last Boy Scout also starring Bruce Willis.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Was watching Gremlins this past week. It’s been probably 20+ years since I’d seen the whole thing. I assume someone has mentioned this here in the past but, when Billy’s dad is at his inventor’s conference on the phone with his wife, there’s someone testing out what looks to be the time machine from the old HG Wells Time Machine movie in the background. The scene cuts back to the family home, then back to the dad on the phone and behind him, the time machine is gone and there’s lingering smoke and a mark on the floor while a man and woman are looking around to see where the time machine went.

I had never caught that before and thought it was a nice callback.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cacafuego posted:

there’s someone testing out what looks to be the time machine from the old HG Wells Time Machine movie in the background.

That was the actual prop from the 1960 film, some prop collector just happened to find it for sale somewhere and restored it.

E:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MGM actually sold it when they auctioned off a whole bunch of their props in the 1970s and it was lost for a while but film historian Bob Burns tracked it down eventually and restored it.

It was also used in The Wizard of Speed and Time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5a_00YVVkQ&t=532s

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Dec 14, 2020

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
There's something about Mary:

Magda, the old lady that's always hanging out at Mary's place, mentions her habit of making herself a banana split after boning.

During the film's denouement, she appears from the kitchen with some old dude and is eating a banana split. It's only subtle in the sense that no attention is drawn to it, the bowl is barely even in frame and only very briefly.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Finished the new season of the Mandalorian. In episode 5 Ahsoka fights the whole episode dual wielding overhand. Her fight with the Magistrate is toe to toe at first. But then the Magistrate flings one of her lightsabers away. The Magistrate is confident she has her on the ropes. Ahsoka then switches to an underhanded grip. The Magistrate has an 'oh poo poo' face for a moment before she gets killed. She was not at all prepared for that, and Ahsoka knew and kept that trick up her sleeve. The baddy getting defeated when it's revealed the hero has mastered the forbidden/forgotten/secret technique is very much a trope of martial arts movies. Like the Bride killing Bill with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique or the Crane Kick in Karate Kid. I'm sure there are better examples but those come to mind.

deoju has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Dec 24, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bk. posted:

There's something about Mary:

Magda, the old lady that's always hanging out at Mary's place, mentions her habit of making herself a banana split after boning.

During the film's denouement, she appears from the kitchen with some old dude and is eating a banana split. It's only subtle in the sense that no attention is drawn to it, the bowl is barely even in frame and only very briefly.

I watched that for the fist time last month. Dude that plays her brother is also Dan in Deadwood.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

re Fast and Furious movies.

The best part of all the ones I have seen is when The Rock flexes his muscles so hard that he breaks out of his cast, only to go shoot a helicopter machine gun at Jason Statham and Vin Diesel as they fight on a multi storey parking lot.

But I haven't seen the ones with Charlize Theron, or Idris Elba yet.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

deoju posted:

Finished the new season of the Mandalorian. In episode 5 Ahsoka fights the whole episode dual wielding overhand. Her fight with the Magistrate is toe to toe at first. But then the Magistrate flings one of her lightsabers away. The Magistrate is confident she has her on the ropes. Ahsoka then switches to an underhanded grip. The Magistrate has an 'oh poo poo' face for a moment before she gets killed. She was not at all prepared for that, and Ahsoka knew and kept that trick up her sleeve. The baddy getting defeated when it's revealed the hero has mastered the forbidden/forgotten/secret technique is very much a trope of martial arts movies. Like the Bride killing Bill with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique or the Crane Kick in Karate Kid. I'm sure there are better examples but those come to mind.

When they split up in the third act, her next scene is taken shot-for-shot from the climax of Yojimbo, and his is shot-for-shot from the same scene in A Fistful of Dollars

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

re Fast and Furious movies.

The best part of all the ones I have seen is when The Rock flexes his muscles so hard that he breaks out of his cast, only to go shoot a helicopter machine gun at Jason Statham and Vin Diesel as they fight on a multi storey parking lot.

But I haven't seen the ones with Charlize Theron, or Idris Elba yet.

You sound like somebody who needs to see a car towing a truck towing a truck towing a truck towing a helicopter.

https://youtu.be/dapP5W153YE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

When they split up in the third act, her next scene is taken shot-for-shot from the climax of Yojimbo, and his is shot-for-shot from the same scene in A Fistful of Dollars

I love stuff like this.