Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weembles posted:

You guys all know that reading level is just a measure of sentence complexity and vocabulary, not content - right?

Thank you for explaining the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

optus, a phone network in australia, is collecting political views, among other things they needn't collect.

nothing to worry about i guess

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Thank you for explaining the joke.

If I killed that joke it was euthanasia.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Those specific examples of personal information are called sensitive information and are more tightly regulated by the Privacy Act. Generally express permission is required to collect and use or disclose that category of personal information. Entities regulated by the Privacy Act are also required to publish their privacy policy outlining how they manage personal information, hence the inclusion of that line in the privacy policy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the cyber...it's very difficult, maybe impossible

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weembles posted:

If I killed that joke it was euthanasia.

It's a comedy forum not Jeopardy you loving spaz

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thump! posted:

Kuala Lumpur is a really pretty city filled with interesting and awesome people and if you ever get the chance to go you should. I'll probably go there again if they ever let Americans in their borders (I don't blame them if they permanently restrict us tho)

Personally I'm not very interesting or awesome but we do have great food so come and eat when you're not all plague rats and we're not all plague rats.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/appleciderwitch/status/1341467221198036994?s=20

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrUBY01BdY

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

capitalism will commodity and destroy everything

pretty funny tho i liked the one that was caddycorner

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/sidramatik/status/1341733297316114437?s=19

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

that's not even close to the most ridiculous way that big platforms have been screwing small vendors who can't do anything about it

my favorite is that if a restaurant refuses to sign on with big food delivery platforms, some of them will set up a fake website for that restaurant, complete with the delivery service's phone number and order form. of course, they don't update it regularly, so if the restaurant changes their menu, they'll get lots of angry reviews from customers who saw the old menu on the fake site, ordered, and only discovered later that what they wanted is no longer on the menu

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

that's not even close to the most ridiculous way that big platforms have been screwing small vendors who can't do anything about it

my favorite is that if a restaurant refuses to sign on with big food delivery platforms, some of them will set up a fake website for that restaurant, complete with the delivery service's phone number and order form. of course, they don't update it regularly, so if the restaurant changes their menu, they'll get lots of angry reviews from customers who saw the old menu on the fake site, ordered, and only discovered later that what they wanted is no longer on the menu

I didn’t realize they were doing that with restaurants that hadn’t signed up at all. I do know that they manipulate search results so you have scroll past three delivery services before you find the actual website.

City council here capped the fees they can charge people so they just started passing it on to the customer as an additional fee which whatever of people. But they did it super shady like as “City of Portland Mandate” to idk I guess get people pissed that it’s a tax or something?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

The clever ones know how to work with that.
https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

quote:

If someone could pay Doordash $16 a pizza, and Doordash would pay his restaurant $24 a pizza, then he should clearly just order pizzas himself via Doordash, all day long. You'd net a clean $8 profit per pizza [insert nerdy economics joke about there is such a thing as a free lunch].

He thought this was a stupid idea. "A business as successful a Doordash and worth billions of dollars would clearly not just give away money like this." But I pushed back that, given their recent obscene fundraise, they would weirdly enough be happy to lose that money. Some regional director would be able to show top-line revenue growth while some accounting line-item, somewhere, would not match up, but the company was already losing hundreds of millions of dollars. I imagined their systems might even be built to discourage catching these mistakes because it would detract, or at a minimum distract, from top-line revenue.

So we put in the first order for 10 pizzas.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That substack article is good, I had no idea how much money uber eats was losing until I read it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dreylad posted:

That substack article is good, I had no idea how much money uber eats was losing until I read it.

lol yeah Uber is an absolute money bonfire at every level it rules

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Yep...Local tavern had that poo poo happen to them so much it made the local paper. Owner begged people to just call in an order over the phone.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1341489830379831300

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

what’s a vtuber

didn’t read didn’t search send post

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Centrist Committee posted:

what’s a vtuber

virtual potato

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

virtual potato

Potatonline

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

what’s a vtuber

Parasitic anime that enters a human host through the eye and, much like ophiocordyceps unilateralis, directs the victim to locations where it can best grow and disperse spores.

I assume. I've never been online before, so I'm just guessing here.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dan quayle, is that you?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

what’s a vtuber

it's short for Virtual shiTposter

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the bwta test for the animefication virus which will one day make the world into anime. practice carrying toast in your mouth now!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

the bwta test for the animefication virus which will one day make the world into anime. practice carrying toast in your mouth now!

bimbofication gas hit a dead end, eh?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

dan quayle, is that you?

I wish, Mr Presidente

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Amazon seems like a real devils bargain to small businesses. One one hand they have the app everyone uses and a massive user base, so you don't have a choice if your just starting out. But if you're successful, they'll assimilate your business and cut you out.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Peanut President posted:

bimbofication gas hit a dead end, eh?

i have hobbies outside of work you know

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1341494712855752704?s=20

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so it's a mocap model playing video games...? this is hosed up

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The Walmart method.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jeff Bezos getting laid is a price I'm willing to pay for The Expanse

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

StashAugustine posted:

Jeff Bezos getting laid is a price I'm willing to pay for The Expanse

thats what he calls his penis

T-man