Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Duel Links Meta sure is a website. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

Actually, I'd probably be more inclined to use an official simulator that does have some level of imposed scarcity or difficulty in obtaining cards. I think a problem with using stuff like EDO-Pro is that it does away with the supposition that you needed to get the cards you're using, so a playset of Alpha the Master of Beasts (as a random example) is exactly as easy to get together as some random piece of pack fodder.

Sure, that's great for a lot of people who want to play a crazy ultra-optimal meta deck without any sort of financial concern, but I think there's a lot of value in the notion that a lot of decks are built by people who have to make do without the perfect combo, and so are running budget decks or unorthodox 'maybe this'll work' strategies. A no-limits simulator just means every duel is either two people beating each other's faces in with perfect combos, or someone with a perfect combo stomping on someone who just decided to try making a reflection of their real-world deck.

Sure, if you impose microtransaction-based limitations or 'you can only get these cards through an in-game system' there's still going to be people who end up building the perfect deck. But the fact there was some hurdles in the way means they'll be much fewer.

The only difference between that model and edopro is that the people in the former paid for the privilege of having that perfect deck, and the playing field is absolutely not level considering how the usual progression methods involve grinding or paying money.If i want to only occasionally play im hosed because id be limited to a restrictingly tiny card pool because i havent had the 'chance' to expand it. If I want to play a super powerful perfect deck im hosed too because id need to get playsets of super rare cards.

Besides the environment of the game is going to promote fast win/lose decks anyways because people want to be done with their grind as fast as possible. And youll have to play more optimal decks anyways so you can participate in that grind for more cards.

Theres a price to be paid in time or money before yo can play the decks you want. Id rather have edopro, thanks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a reason I keep pushing for a reboot of the main game, I love the game itself, but I loathe what it's become in terms of speed and complexity due to the current card pool, Duel Links meanwhile dumbs things down too much(and even then is beginning to have power creep problems) and is too grindy/pay to win, and Rush Duels even if they do eventually leave Japan will probably be a dead format after a couple years anyways and thus would probably be a waste of time to get too invested in anyways

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
If an official simulator pops up that's both easily accessible and reasonably affordable*, I think people will tend to head there, even though edopro (and dueling book, which somehow hasn't come up in this conversation despite being where the more serious players tend to congregate) offers it for free. That's just the pattern, right?

*If anything, this will be what keeps people on the unofficial services.

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason I keep pushing for a reboot of the main game, I love the game itself, but I loathe what it's become in terms of speed and complexity due to the current card pool, Duel Links meanwhile dumbs things down too much(and even then is beginning to have power creep problems) and is too grindy/pay to win, and Rush Duels even if they do eventually leave Japan will probably be a dead format after a couple years anyways and thus would probably be a waste of time to get too invested in anyways

I've seen someone throw around the idea that this is another alternative format, and that's honestly not a terrible idea as long as it's normal yugioh and not Duel Links.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No other game has a free simulator as in depth and well-crafted as EDO-pro. It will also ironically get cards before the official simulator.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

If an official simulator pops up that's both easily accessible and reasonably affordable*, I think people will tend to head there, even though edopro (and dueling book, which somehow hasn't come up in this conversation despite being where the more serious players tend to congregate) offers it for free. That's just the pattern, right?

*If anything, this will be what keeps people on the unofficial services.

I've seen someone throw around the idea that this is another alternative format, and that's honestly not a terrible idea as long as it's normal yugioh and not Duel Links.

True if it is the regular rules* and they properly curate the card pool(don't clog it with all the useless first couple of DM sets era fodder, but at the same time keep out as much of the broken poo poo from more recent years as possible) and even apply errata to cards(they've done this a couple times in Duel Links but they really need to use it a lot more) then this could be something good

*the one thing I wouldn't mind them keeping from Duel Links are those skills that characters have that change up the game in little ways, was the best idea Duel Links had

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

No other game has a free simulator as in depth and well-crafted as EDO-pro. It will also ironically get cards before the official simulator.

I'm not talking about other simulators here, I'm talking about piracy in general. Like, how many people pirate music nowadays?

drrockso20 posted:

True if it is the regular rules* and they properly curate the card pool(don't clog it with all the useless first couple of DM sets era fodder, but at the same time keep out as much of the broken poo poo from more recent years as possible) and even apply errata to cards(they've done this a couple times in Duel Links but they really need to use it a lot more) then this could be something good

*the one thing I wouldn't mind them keeping from Duel Links are those skills that characters have that change up the game in little ways, was the best idea Duel Links had

There are absolutely a lot of open questions here, but speculation is fun.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Piracy is probably the most common criminal action globally, and definitely a lot of people do it. Especially if you ask music companies who would very much like everything but paying them money per listen to be piracy.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

Piracy is probably the most common criminal action globally, and definitely a lot of people do it. Especially if you ask music companies who would very much like everything but paying them money per listen to be piracy.

Obviously you can never kill piracy entirely, and the media companies won't be satisfied until the rates actually hit zero, but rates have still noticeably declined since companies started making things easier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Only in the west.
Other countries still have a lot of piracy. Its why game storefronts in brazil/russia/etc are so deeply discounted, because 'normal' prices are relatively steep there, and definitely not enough to justify the convinience of a storefront.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Only in the west.
Other countries still have a lot of piracy. Its why game storefronts in brazil/russia/etc are so deeply discounted, because 'normal' prices are relatively steep there, and definitely not enough to justify the convinience of a storefront.

Also in Australia, where depending on the age bracket Piracy doubled in 2019. It's pretty much just America where the piracy "rate" has gone down. Which is also a bit falsely leading because it was still several billion cases this year, America just has a giant population so them having the highest amount of piracy is still a lower percentage.

Mostly because Australia has poor access to a lot of normal Western media products due to having it's own distribution rights and costs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mostly because Australia has poor access to a lot of normal Western media products due to having it's own distribution rights and costs.

My favorite example here is the Arrowverse, the interconnected DC shows on the CW. In the US that's no sweat, since they're all on the CW and then hit Netflix, and that's the same for a decent amount of countries. But in Australia? You have to subscribe to literally every single streaming service there is, including the one you can only get with a cable subscription, because they all have at least one exclusive. And until this year that still didn't get you everything, because Supergirl was on none of them until a whole new streaming service cropped up and picked it up as one of their big marquee titles.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not talking about other simulators here, I'm talking about piracy in general. Like, how many people pirate music nowadays?

All the people who listen to songs off youtube.

Music streaming services also offer benefits like not having to deal with untagged songs, swapping songs on and off your portable device, and making it super easy to discover new music, all while being fairly cheap. And the big Mega(?) case a decade ago made the file hosting sites squeamish, making building a library considerably more difficult.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

My favorite example here is the Arrowverse, the interconnected DC shows on the CW. In the US that's no sweat, since they're all on the CW and then hit Netflix, and that's the same for a decent amount of countries. But in Australia? You have to subscribe to literally every single streaming service there is, including the one you can only get with a cable subscription, because they all have at least one exclusive. And until this year that still didn't get you everything, because Supergirl was on none of them until a whole new streaming service cropped up and picked it up as one of their big marquee titles.

I definitely expect this stuff to cause piracy to start going back up, because the entire reason that stuff worked (where it worked) is because they made it easy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wait. I think I missed something.

Why does everyone think we're getting an official simulator?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

Wait. I think I missed something.

Why does everyone think we're getting an official simulator?

This article reporting on Jump Festa.
https://beyondtheduel.com/new-digital-title-master-duel-announced/

quote:

A brand new digital title “Master Duel (Temporary title)” is currently in production!

During the stream, the new title was described as being similar to Duel Links as a digital title, except that while Duel Links uses Speed Duel rules, this title will be using the Master Rules!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That...doesn't sound like an official simulator to me.

It sounds like Duel Links but with Master Rules. :v: So skills, character unlocks, and a carefully cultivated card pool.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

That...doesn't sound like an official simulator to me.

It sounds like Duel Links but with Master Rules. :v: So skills, character unlocks, and a carefully cultivated card pool.

The skills are also part of Speed Duel rules.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

...yeah, fair point. Brain fart on my end, lol.

I dunno, I think it's kind of a jump to assume this is an official simulator and not something else.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

...yeah, fair point. Brain fart on my end, lol.

I dunno, I think it's kind of a jump to assume this is an official simulator and not something else.

I could definitely see it being an alternate format, and we talked about it briefly earlier. But for what it's worth, they're pretty consistent about what they mean by Master Rules, so even if it has a card pool difference, it's going to resemble table yugioh.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is the yugioh game for switch worth it for 30 euros? I like mtg and am looking for a card game to play. Don't care too much about online/multiplayer stuff

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ilmucche posted:

Is the yugioh game for switch worth it for 30 euros? I like mtg and am looking for a card game to play. Don't care too much about online/multiplayer stuff

I'd say so, yeah. It occasionally takes a while for CPU opponents to determine what move they want to take and it crashes frequently when the switch is connected to the internet for some reason, but it has a ton of CPU opponents and an enormous card pool. If you like yugioh at all and can tolerate its flaws, you'll have a great time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've played yugioh like once. Much more an mtg player. Do you play through the over the top story?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Theres a campaign for each series with very basic cutscenes.

I believe it also skips some duels?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ilmucche posted:

I've played yugioh like once. Much more an mtg player. Do you play through the over the top story?

Yes, but it skips a lot and what context you do get for the individual duels is pretty barebones. That being said, it contains the story for every single anime, including a fair amount of VRAINS, and each duel allows you to play as both characters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning that while the AI still ain't particularly smart, it is very aggressive and indeed downright malicious in how it plays, so even a single duel will probably take a lot of tries to complete unless you get really lucky with the RNG to get a good starting hand and them a bad one, at least if you use the provided "Story Decks" instead of one you build yourself

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, but it skips a lot and what context you do get for the individual duels is pretty barebones. That being said, it contains the story for every single anime, including a fair amount of VRAINS, and each duel allows you to play as both characters.

Vrains does not have the story at all tho. Which is a shame cause id like to know if all the blue girls are related

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Vrains does not have the story at all tho. Which is a shame cause id like to know if all the blue girls are related

Blue Angel / Girl / Maiden? They're all the same character at different points in the series.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

mandatory lesbian posted:

You do not want to experience the VRAINS story

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vandar posted:

Blue Angel / Girl / Maiden? They're all the same character at different points in the series.

Yeah them

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

You do not want to experience the VRAINS story

I mean, it's a fine story. It's kind of charmless but it's competently executed. VRAINS doesn't have particularly terrible lows, it just doesn't have great highs either. It's the very epitome of an okay series.

Meanwhile SEVENS is excellent and it's getting a dub now it seems!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mean, it's a fine story. It's kind of charmless but it's competently executed. VRAINS doesn't have particularly terrible lows, it just doesn't have great highs either. It's the very epitome of an okay series.

I deeply disagree. It’s lows were incredibly loving low, and it wasn’t competent at all

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VRAINS is pretty loving bad until the third season, when it finally gets good, so naturally the third season is half as long as the others. :negative:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Didn't VRAINS also have like, six recap episodes in the first season? I'd definitely call that low.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm tired of characters that only exist to repeat things they just heard like idiots.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Jade Rider posted:

Didn't VRAINS also have like, six recap episodes in the first season? I'd definitely call that low.

The first half of the first season might be the lowest point in all of Yugioh.

Multiple badly paced two-part duels, a dozen recap episodes, the absolutely terrible STORM ACCESS gimmick, no dueling at all in the first episode, the main heroine getting damseled in her VERY FIRST APPEARANCE and then quickly becoming brainwashed a half dozen episodes after that...

I was super excited about VRAINS when it began but it very, very quickly soured me on it and didn't get me back until Ai took over the show in season three.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
but you still take the damage

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ungulateman posted:

but you still take the damage

Arc-V did a lot wrong since it went from fun card games to multiversal war, so much wrong that it's shocking to this day how much the quality of the series dropped, but I still think that having the last goddamn line in the last goddamn duel of the goddamn series be the one that the entire fandom was goddamn tired of, was an extremely funny move. Especially because how it was done made it very clear that the writers were entirely aware of it.

Sadly, the series still took the damage.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Their 1st mistake was not making Superheavy Samurai guy as the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Okay we are seeing more official tournament results and it’s actually suprising. Not only are proper traps in the format but rogue decks are topping fairly regularly.

VFD turbo seems to be losing steam as virtual world bricks like old school monarchs. Plus traps crush VFD

Drytron combo deck of choice but their boards aren’t crazy right now. A couple negates at best.

Hal is hardly seeing any play and Zoo is back baby.

So weirdly enough banning linkross caused the power level of the format to loving crash. I thought cross was the real problem card but I didn’t think it was this bad.

So all in all this is the best format in years and way way better than dragon link infernoble format

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 25, 2020