Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I came across another bottle of MMCS with the overdripped wax, but it wasn't as overdipped as mine, some of the extra had been ripped off, and the proof was fractionally lower since it was a different batch. I did not buy it.

I did buy another bottle of MMCS from the same batch as my super dunk (20-02). 110.4 proof and drinks very hot. It tastes fine but it's very flat, almost like a rye. Reminds me a lot of Pikesville. It's my first wheater since a bottle of Weller Special Reserve I got 2 years ago and was disappointed by.

After seeing ADHD Whiskey fall in love with a Four Roses Single Barrel during his advent calendar, I bought a bottle to compare to the Small Batch but my Single Barrel (PS 88-1E) was... disappointing? That's just as well since the Small Batch is cheaper, but I was really hoping for something special.

I visited 2 ABC's today and both of them got 6 bottles of Stagg Jr yesterday for $53 but apparently there were lines out the door before opening. I had EH Taylor a few weeks ago and it was good but not mind-blowing so I doubt I'm gonna try to wait in line for another delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Josh Lyman posted:

After seeing ADHD Whiskey fall in love with a Four Roses Single Barrel during his advent calendar, I bought a bottle to compare to the Small Batch but my Single Barrel (PS 88-1E) was... disappointing? That's just as well since the Small Batch is cheaper, but I was really hoping for something special.

This is a case of the regular single barrel vs a private barrel pick.
The four roses private barrels are usually cask strength (usually varies widely between 105 and 135 proof) and can be any of the 10 recipes that Four Roses makes
The regular single barrel is always 100 proof and OBSV recipe

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The four roses private barrels are usually cask strength (usually varies widely between 105 and 135 proof) and can be any of the 10 recipes that Four Roses makes
I've been had again! Would any other industry tolerate this level of shenanigans? :mad:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Would any other industry tolerate this level of shenanigans? :mad:

Yeah probably

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

field balm posted:

The whole secondary market/shop picks/raffle thing confuses the hell out of me, almost glad I can only buy terrible bourbon at bottle shops here in Australia.

The good thing is that you can avoid all of it and still have access to a wide variety of very good whiskey. People just fall all over themselves chasing limited/hype bottles. But there's great stuff that just sits on shelves year round.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Anyone here ever try infusing bourbon? I was thinking of soaking a handful of cocoa nibs in some bourbon to see if I can't impart some chocolate flavor to it.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Ah my brother-in-law was explaining this to me because I got some single barrel from our local place, but I didn't fully understand. I guess this is regular single barrel then, as it's 100 proof and says WN 22-2S. I'll keep an eye out for private barrels too, but this bottle is very nice.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Enigma posted:

Anyone here ever try infusing bourbon? I was thinking of soaking a handful of cocoa nibs in some bourbon to see if I can't impart some chocolate flavor to it.

It'll pick up some flavor. I'd grab something 100+ proof and cheapish. I'd personally grab ogd, Evan Williams bonded, or mellow corn. Cocoa nibs are good, and so are citrus peels

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Bandit posted:

It'll pick up some flavor. I'd grab something 100+ proof and cheapish. I'd personally grab ogd, Evan Williams bonded, or mellow corn. Cocoa nibs are good, and so are citrus peels

Cool, I've got some WT101 I will try with it. How long you think it needs to sit? Few days or few weeks?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Enigma posted:

Cool, I've got some WT101 I will try with it. How long you think it needs to sit? Few days or few weeks?

Probably 3 days minimum. Toast the nibs first to help release the oils. Plan on tasting it everyday, at some point it'll probably start picking up less desirable flavors. Once you notice anything overly bitter or astringent strain out the nibs. You can always toast more and do a second infusion.

E: I'd say for 95% of my infusions they don't go longer than 1-3 days

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Got lucky today and someone on the regional group posted a store that had an end cap with 3 GTS, 1 THH, 1 WLW and a couple Weller 12, Stagg Jr, RHF and ETL bottles and 2 ORVW and a Lot B behind the counter. The BTAC and VW were right at the midpoint between retail and secondary pricing, the other stuff was basically barely below secondary.
The guy who posted it took the Lot B.
20 minutes out from me and I literally jumped in the car as soon as it was posted.
The highlight was the WLW price but it was gone by the time I got there along with one of the Staggs, and the other 2 remaining BTAC bottles were apparently "reserved" and prepaid by people who called...
After complaining to the guy about the reserved bottles, I asked if any of the stuff was still behind the counter, and he pulled out the last ORVW which I snatched up for some trades down the line.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Bandit posted:

Probably 3 days minimum. Toast the nibs first to help release the oils. Plan on tasting it everyday, at some point it'll probably start picking up less desirable flavors. Once you notice anything overly bitter or astringent strain out the nibs. You can always toast more and do a second infusion.

E: I'd say for 95% of my infusions they don't go longer than 1-3 days

Good tips, thank you!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Solo blind tasting today of high proof ryes

Rare Breed Rye, Michter's barrel strength 2017, Knob Creek cask strength 2018, and Pikesville

My ranking: Pikesville, Rare Breed, Knob Creek, Michter's.

This Michter's had won my previous blind rye tasting, and beat out my last 2015 Handy sample and an old Russells pick in that tasting, but what's left of it is probably 2 pours in a decanted 375 bottle so oxidation in the ~6 months time may have killed it. Nose was astringent and really minty with almost a scotchy saltiness, palate was just boring and very light
The Knob Creek was also a disappointment but the uninteresting nose and beam funk nuttiness just pushed it back (I actually guessed this was Pikesville though, thinking it was the same nuttiness I often get on Elijah craig). Just oak, vanilla, spice, and nuts with nothing interesting or twists and turns.
Rare Breed is an orange bomb. Immediately on the nose I got orange and chocolate, with other citrus and pear not far behind. In the palate was a chocolate, orange, lime, and banana sundae with some nice cinnamon and clove. I could see this winning depending on my mood
Pikesville was a bit more balanced and shines with a vanilla frosting and molasses tongue, finishing with a nice orange and spice that reminds me of Constant Comment tea.

I'm usually a proof hound, but my lowest proofer here won out in the end, and maybe it's something about ryes that lower proof can stand up better than in bourbon or that the rye spice makes the high proof feel younger than it is

I will say that both Pikesville and Rare Breed Rye are wonderful pours and I'll always keep a bottle in my cabinet while they're around. Both deserve the premium price point and accolades. The KC (which you can -still- find on a lot of shelves), not so much, despite being a 9 year rye.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wife bought me something called bourbon bullets for Christmas.

I guess they’re supposed to infuse the bourbon with flavors like cherry or oak. I can’t tell if they’re made from the barrels or just pieces of wood that were cut into a bullet shape.

Any idea of these work? Not sure if it’d be worth putting my a bottle of $40 bourbon or if they’re better on cheaper bottles or just a gimmick?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

I guess they’re supposed to infuse the bourbon with flavors like cherry or oak. I can’t tell if they’re made from the barrels or just pieces of wood that were cut into a bullet shape.

Any idea of these work? Not sure if it’d be worth putting my a bottle of $40 bourbon or if they’re better on cheaper bottles or just a gimmick?

I personally would not drop some wood shaped bullets into my whiskey bottle.

Might be a good experiment for a cheap bottle of whiskey, less than $20 a bottle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

nwin posted:

If gimmicks like that actually worked, distillers wouldn't waste money on expensive aging and blending.
Toss 'em in some Evan Williams for funsies, don't put them near anything subtle or expensive.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Was given a bottle of JW Blue, looking forward to a taste. I'm not big on Red or Black but always liked Green.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

obi_ant posted:

I personally would not drop some wood shaped bullets into my whiskey bottle.

Might be a good experiment for a cheap bottle of whiskey, less than $20 a bottle.

That’s my line of thought-thanks for confirming.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's a fair price for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof? One of my local stores has 5 in stock according to their website for $110 after tax. I assume it's the C920 that everyone is gushing over given the time of year.

They also have the "same" FR SiB BP OBSQ 10yr 7mo that ADHD Whiskey loved for $110 after tax.

Is either bottle worth it?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 27, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

What's a fair price for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof? One of my local stores has 5 in stock according to their website for $110 after tax. I assume it's the C920 that everyone is gushing over given the time of year.

They also have the "same" FR SiB BP OBSQ 10yr 7mo that ADHD Whiskey loved for $110 after tax.

I think ECBP can absolutely hang with a lot of bottles in that price range, but I don’t know that I’d spend that much.

That’s a tough call for me though, but I think it being pretty readily available near me for much cheaper has something to do with it as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I think ECBP can absolutely hang with a lot of bottles in that price range, but I don’t know that I’d spend that much.

That’s a tough call for me though, but I think it being pretty readily available near me for much cheaper has something to do with it as well.
If it's 50/50 at best, I'm happy to pass and save my $100 purchases for old rear end Scotch.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

If it's 50/50 at best, I'm happy to pass and save my $100 purchases for old rear end Scotch.

That’s basically my philosophy, as I think once you get above $100, scotch begins to be more ‘worth it’ for me. It’s going to take a drat good bourbon for $140 for me to buy it, because I could spend that $140 on another bottle of Glendronach 18!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

That’s basically my philosophy, as I think once you get above $100, scotch begins to be more ‘worth it’ for me. It’s going to take a drat good bourbon for $140 for me to buy it, because I could spend that $140 on another bottle of Glendronach 18!
Speaking of Glendronach 18, it's $231 w/tax at the only place in DC that has it right now but a friend in SF picked up a bottle at Costco for $142 w/tax. Not sure when they'll come visit the East Coast but I have that to look forward to.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 27, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Stultus Maximus posted:

If gimmicks like that actually worked, distillers wouldn't waste money on expensive aging and blending.
Toss 'em in some Evan Williams for funsies, don't put them near anything subtle or expensive.

They would 100% be doing all kinds of shenanigans like that but they're not allowed to by law thankfully.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Speaking of fancy scotch, anyone have any experience with Glenfarclas 25? It's near me for $160.

I've had the 23 and enjoyed it, as I'm a fan of sherried speysides, but can't say I love super woody flavors (like old bourbon can get). Not sure if these are relevant here, or if it's even that different from the 23.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd say no, but to each his own

ECBP is readily available between $60-70 in so many places that you'd be overpaying above $80
Four Roses picks are harder to find at the moment but also, same deal. A store around here sold their last one in a bundle with a bottle of base Four Roses for $100 and a lot of people were scoffing at that even knowing their picks are solid

Edit: also, because ECBP is more available, you'll find some batches sit on shelves for a while, and also some places often end up getting them much later than their release. I could walk into a 4 different stores around here and get a bottle of C919, A120, B520, and C920. One store even got a second shipment of A120 in October, expecting it to be C920

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 27, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Paul Proteus posted:

Speaking of fancy scotch, anyone have any experience with Glenfarclas 25? It's near me for $160.

I've had the 23 and enjoyed it, as I'm a fan of sherried speysides, but can't say I love super woody flavors (like old bourbon can get). Not sure if these are relevant here, or if it's even that different from the 23.

I did a tasting of a lot of Glenfarclas some years back and remember being pretty disappointed with the 25. I much preferred the 21 y/o and the 30 y/o that I tried. The 25 y/o was pretty flat & overly woody and completely fell apart with the addition of a little bit of water, although I guess it's possible I had the dregs out of an old bottle that had sat opened for some time.

EDIT : $160 seems like a decent price for this despite what I said above.

biglads fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 27, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Do y'all care for Oban 14 year? I bought a bottle as my go to end of year bottle corryveckan was out. I was obviously expecting a more subtle flavor than Ardbeg but I find the Oban very basic even compared to low end scotches and bourbons.

It's pleasant, I can see how someone would like it, but it's not really for me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I absolutely love it. I find it’s got a little bit of everything going on. I always drink it with a single cube of ice though which seems to open it right up. I find it quite rare to have a bit of smoke/fruit/oak etc all together

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'll certainly give it another shot, obviously. I found it so muted I actually tried a sip of something I was familiar with to make sure I didn't have the rona.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Eifert Posting posted:

Do y'all care for Oban 14 year? I bought a bottle as my go to end of year bottle corryveckan was out. I was obviously expecting a more subtle flavor than Ardbeg but I find the Oban very basic even compared to low end scotches and bourbons.

It's pleasant, I can see how someone would like it, but it's not really for me.

It's not my favorite. It is a tad simple IMO. Especially compared to an Ardbeg. Now, Clynelish 14 otoh....

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven’t had Oban 14 in a long time because I remember it being just okay. That said, I haven’t had it in a long time so my memory could be off.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Oban is my standard go to Scotch but yeah if you’re looking to explore you can branch off it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I got Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (C920) and Ardbeg Uigeadail for Christmas. Never had either before, but after my first glass of each I'm very pleased.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Great haul!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Tucking into this for my birthday.

Cheers Goons!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

biglads posted:

Tucking into this for my birthday.

Cheers Goons!

Very nice! Happy birthday!

Cheers right back!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glendronach is so so good. Enjoy!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toebone posted:

I got Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (C920) and Ardbeg Uigeadail for Christmas. Never had either before, but after my first glass of each I'm very pleased.
I love Uigeadail, maybe my favorite Islay. I know this is probably an impossible question, but if you were to give both Uigeadail and C920 a letter grade, how would they compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Quick report on the Glendronach

Chocolate and old leather on the nose. Drinking it, it's actually very candy sweet for maybe half a second before you start to taste the wood. The woody flavour feels like it comes from varnished oak walls in a 200 year old Gentlemens club in the tropics but stopping the wood taking over the flavour is a lovely mix of dark chocolate and cooked dark fruits (maybe raisins) that just sits in the sides of your mouth for ever. The finish is looooong and sees the drying astringency from the wood fade as the sweetness slowly overpowers it after a couple of minutes. Quite heavy mouthfeel, nothing has been filtered out and it's perfectly drinkable out of the bottle at 53.6% abv. Will try it with a drop of water later too but there's no burn from the alcohol content here.

EDIT : Can taste cherries when you add water.

biglads fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 29, 2020