Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think the immunity is 5 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Thanks. That certainly means that me using second wind or such immediately was a really bad idea.

You probably weren't getting yourself killed because unless you're going into a fight you don't have much experience with, you were waiting to rez until there are no mechanics going off anyway.

Unless you were like the SAM I did E10N on patch week with who died at least a dozen times because he got bonked by literally every single untelegraphed AoE immediately after being rezzed :negative: Think it would have been better DPS to just leave him dead and throw malefics instead.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There's a lot of instances in savage where you need to get up immediately into some mechanic that is going off because without 8 people something will bait onto the wrong person and kill more people, and those times are where it's most important not to remove your damage immunity early.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

You probably weren't getting yourself killed because unless you're going into a fight you don't have much experience with, you were waiting to rez until there are no mechanics going off anyway.

Unless you were like the SAM I did E10N on patch week with who died at least a dozen times because he got bonked by literally every single untelegraphed AoE immediately after being rezzed :negative: Think it would have been better DPS to just leave him dead and throw malefics instead.

lol I had a SAM the other day that got hit by every mechanic in matoya's relict. that had to be the goal, that's the only reason i can think of

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gotta maximize their Seigan uptime.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Ither posted:

Note: I don't do Savage/Extreme fights because I don't care.

I prioritize dead people because it sucks to be on the floor while a cool fight is going on.

I use Regen and Medica II as way to set it and forget it. In most cases, both of them are enough to keep the tank going while I DPS.

Yugioh (up to VRAINS) is a great cartoon. How dare you.

I'll never understand this attitude lol. "I'm TOO COOL to learn how to play the game well but I'm going to tell you how to play anyways because my ego refuses to acknowledge I might be wrong"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hazardousmouse posted:

lol I had a SAM the other day that got hit by every mechanic in matoya's relict. that had to be the goal, that's the only reason i can think of

I had a tank on the bat in... whichever duty had the bat with collapsing stalactites... who said dps was slow because "I got up to 4 vuln stacks on that one." Didn't respond when I pointed out that vuln means you were supposed to avoid that mechanic.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

aers posted:

There's a lot of instances in savage where you need to get up immediately into some mechanic that is going off because without 8 people something will bait onto the wrong person and kill more people, and those times are where it's most important not to remove your damage immunity early.

For sure, I was just trying to tell that poster they probably weren't loving up as bad as they thought they were lol

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

FewtureMD posted:

I named my chocobo 'Ortolan' because it makes me laugh every time I see it.

I did the same thing but with "Dickon"!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

erenoyo posted:

I'll never understand this attitude lol. "I'm TOO COOL to learn how to play the game well but I'm going to tell you how to play anyways because my ego refuses to acknowledge I might be wrong"

I feel like it's usually people lashing out against "hardcore" people for giving out advice since they take it personally and think these people are calling them bad. Ironically all they end up doing is trying to enforce a specific playstyle themselves by trying to shut down anything they think is caring too much.

For some reason this happens A LOT in ff14, I've run into more pubbies like that than the supposed toxic raiders they hate

Xun fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 24, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sometimes the suggestions for 'high-end job play' can be REAL difficult and you end up worse for them by following the advice poorly, though. I ended up a worse AST when I tried to use advice to slap down Nocturnal shields before pulls because I could never get the timing right and was just stuck in Nocturnal for whole fights.

On the other hand, RDM advice I learned from a raiding guide was SUPER easy to incorporate into my playstyle.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I keep running into dancers in roulettes that don't know that standard and technical finish do damage. They'll just pop them whenever, running between packs or on the opposite side of the arena from the boss.

The game really doesn't tell you that they do, though, so it's hard to blame them. You have to look at the tooltip for finish, specifically, which you're not likely to do, since it only shows up while you're in the middle of the dance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any advanced tips for max-level warriors? They seem to have a very low skill ceiling once you've got your rotation down and understand how powerful Nascent Flash is, but maybe there's something I'm missing out on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

I feel like it's usually people lashing out against "hardcore" people for giving out advice since they take it personally and think these people are calling them bad. Ironically all they end up doing is trying to enforce a specific playstyle themselves by trying to shut down anything they think is caring too much.

For some reason this happens A LOT in ff14, I've run into more pubbies like that than the supposed toxic raiders they hate

It used to be way worse in ARR and HW at least in my experience but the amount of people who took pride in being bad because they refused to do anything 'raider tryhards' did was..baffling.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hell, back in ARR and even HW still, there was a decent chance you'd zone into a level cap roulette and see a GLD or a THM in your party

or "no job stone" PFs

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

no job stone is a challenge run actually

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
whatever happened to ALPHA XERO WORLD FIRST DARK KNIGHT DPS

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

HenryEx posted:

Hell, back in ARR and even HW still, there was a decent chance you'd zone into a level cap roulette and see a GLD or a THM in your party

or "no job stone" PFs

Ahh yeah, back when you had to level two classes to 30 to get a job, so people would just... not do it.

"Why is our DPS so slow? Oh we've got an arcanist and a pugilist in this level 50 dungeon...."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Any advanced tips for max-level warriors? They seem to have a very low skill ceiling once you've got your rotation down and understand how powerful Nascent Flash is, but maybe there's something I'm missing out on.

Nah, they're extremely straightforwards. A big part of the reason that their playrate is so low is that they're dead simple to optimize and don't really have a lot of plates to keep spinning.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Begemot posted:

I keep running into dancers in roulettes that don't know that standard and technical finish do damage. They'll just pop them whenever, running between packs or on the opposite side of the arena from the boss.

The game really doesn't tell you that they do, though, so it's hard to blame them. You have to look at the tooltip for finish, specifically, which you're not likely to do, since it only shows up while you're in the middle of the dance.

Both of the SB expansions have one job that they explain well, and one job that they really don't. The good ones are SAM and GNB, the bads are RDM and DNC.

RDM's has the problem that the intro quest says the right things, but never tests you on them, so apparently most RDMs come out not realizing the Jolt-Quickcasted Verthunder/Veraero combo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The RDM quest actually does a very good job of explaining how everything works, if people refuse to pay attention that's on them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty much the only optimizing you need to do is holding on to your Infuriate stacks for raid buff windows. Warrior is dead simple.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirSamVimes posted:

The RDM quest actually does a very good job of explaining how everything works, if people refuse to pay attention that's on them.

The amount of times I've had to explain the basic combo to Red Mages in Heavensward dungeons (or in one case, after Ozma in the Weeping City) suggests that even if it did explain right, it did not teach people well. There's a big difference between saying the right words and actually teaching.

For me (who fortunately got corrected in my first dungeon), the issue was that I didn't notice Jolt's purpose. I came from other magic DPS, so I dismissed it as the equivalent to Scathe or Ruin II, as basically a mobility tool, and I thought RDM was just SUPPOSED to be kinda slow until procs got going.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've seen a lot of bad GNB who only have it as their tank so I'm not sure it's been the greatest job introduction, either.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Vitamean posted:

no job stone is a challenge run actually

But what if Kan-E-Senna broke my dad's knees?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BisbyWorl posted:

But what if Kan-E-Senna broke my dad's knees?

Two words, my friend: free unicorn.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

E9S done! Not too hard a fight, once you get used to Empty Plane and not stepping on each other's toes.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 24, 2020

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Hogama posted:

I've seen a lot of bad GNB who only have it as their tank so I'm not sure it's been the greatest job introduction, either.

The GNB quest is awful and gives a terrible impression of the job, unless you want an accurate recreation of the ADR experience where the other alliances' tanks keep trying to rip aggro off you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Roluth posted:

E9S done! Not too hard a fight, once you get used to Empty Plane and not stepping on each other's toes[/spoiler.]

[spoiler]

E10S is a really cool fight and my static has been having a blast blind progging it and refusing to actually look up guides to figure out the wild mechanics.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Prompted by some discussion in the CGB Discord, I went ahead and tallied up all the unique prize items that you can get from bicolour gems. That's the minions, music rolls, bardings, riding maps and triple triad cards. (So excluding any of the housing items, and the overpriced materia and whatnot.)

The cost? 11390 bicolour gems.

That's 950 fates.

Which is almost two and two-thirds times the number of fates you'll do maxing out the six regions.

That is entirely too many fates.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah but how many of those rewards are tradeable on the market board? If you hate fates but want to collect all the things the best way is to only use your bi-colour gems on the untradeable items, then you gotta market board the rest. It is admittedly not cheap, but hey... that's the cost of hundreds of fates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

Prompted by some discussion in the CGB Discord, I went ahead and tallied up all the unique prize items that you can get from bicolour gems. That's the minions, music rolls, bardings, riding maps and triple triad cards. (So excluding any of the housing items, and the overpriced materia and whatnot.)

That's 950 fates.

Which is almost two and two-thirds times the number of fates you'll do maxing out the six regions.

I am pretty sure you can trim all the riding maps as they are basically worthless.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The riding maps barely make a dent, as they're only 420 of those gems in total.

And as for what's tradeable, it's mainly the music rolls, which do make up the majority of that cost. So anyone trying to get those should probably buy most of them.

Edit: It's 6,650 gems for the music rolls alone. So if you subtract those, and the maps... 4,320 is a more reasonable 360 fates, exactly what you need for the title.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 24, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Roluth posted:

E9S done! Not too hard a fight, once you get used to Empty Plane and not stepping on each other's toes.

(h/t the cgb discord)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

That's 950 fates.

A lot of the items like orchestrion rolls are tradeable, so just buy them on the market.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hogama posted:

I wouldn't want to put the entirety of teaching how to tank at the feet of a job questline, especially one at level 70. Teaching the job's own mechanics atop the entirety of a role would be a bit much.

Hell, DRK doesn't mention tanking at all, you spend the time running yourself into orbs for some reason.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Hell, DRK doesn't mention tanking at all, you spend the time running yourself into orbs for some reason.
Ramuh practice.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

erenoyo posted:

But I didn't tell people how to play? :confused:

I communicated how I, a casual, play.

Ither fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 24, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ither posted:

But I didn't tell people how to play? :confused:

I communicated how I, a casual, play.

Then why would you choose to do so in the middle of a conversation where people are talking about how to play WHM optimally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Then why would you choose to do so in the middle of a conversation where people are talking about how to play WHM optimally?

Yeah, they should just sit down and let the grown ups talk, am I right?

(The fun thing is that the clip that prompted this discussion opens with two swiftcast'd rezzes, and the only slowcast rez was for a tank. Debatably the right move when the tank who had been alive dies almost instantly from standing in the wrong spot.)