Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nine-gear crow posted:

INT. STARFLEET HEADQUARTERS, THE FUTURE... OR SOME poo poo

CAPTAIN EDWARD JELLICO bursts out of a block of ice in the Starfleet atrium, naked and screaming incoherently.

MICHAEL BURNHAM

Welcome back to the future, Captain Jellico.

[TITLE CARD]

I endorse this project and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1341052559004352512

ty newt for this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Newt’s just mad his giant encephalitic head will never make it to the moon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The problem with Newt Gingrich isn't that he left his dying wife for his mistress or even for the many ways in which he hosed over the American people. His problem is that he himself didn't slowly and painfully die to cancer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think the woke stuff is super positive and well intentioned, but the execution is awkward like many parts of the show. Adira isn’t a great actor but they’re like 17 and in scenes with Anthony Rapp, who’s a bit of a powerhouse.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its been funny to see the psychotic right-wingers finally start to clumsily use the left's (or libs) language against them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love ever scene with Adira and Stamets. They are really good at playing off each other and there is a sense that Stamets and Rapp are doing similar things, he is training their in acting as well.

Is there an episode this week? Discovery for the Holidays.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just dislike how far they missed the mark with the Disco MU. IMO it's supposed to be cartoonishly evil. Like, stakes are high and everyone is an rear end in a top hat generally, but there's plenty of room for goofy poo poo like Mirror Kira chewing the scenery like a pro, or plots like "the Grand Nagus took a casual trip to the MU and was kidnapped by the KCA, let's enlist Mirror Vic Fontaine to help rescue him"

The Disco MU is just, and I hate to use this term, grimdark as gently caress.

MU is for fun stupid side episodes. Not what you should hinge most of your season long plots on.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I get the message but...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She’s going to eat that child.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

Phew I thought it was just me going crazy and not her breakfast face

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As long as she eats only the most naughty children. We can still redeem her then.

EDIT RE: Woke Newt Trek
"One of the hallmarks of wokeness is an overwhelming sense of moral superiority that leads to shallowness. The woke warriors don’t believe in rebutting opposing points of view – only rebuking them. In the woke dogma, to even debate the merits of the other sides’ perspective is to legitimize evil."

C'mon guys, let's all engage the literal Nazis in good faith discussion!

JFC, what a toolbox.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 23, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't actually think it's an unfair characterisation of the problem with Discovery's writing (once you get past the bile and hateful agenda the writer has).

Take the Vulcan episode for example. The factions on the planet aren't treated as a set of groups with overlapping interests and equities that conflict with each other and need to be treated with nuance and respect, they're treated as a bunch of squabbling fools who are blind to the big picture and need Michael to step in and give them a teary eyed speech about why they should just do what she wants.

Take Trill. Exactly the same problem. Picard would have realised that the planet is tinder and Adira is a match and the episode would have been about negotiating access to the pools in a culturally sensitive and respectful way. Michael is all 'gently caress your religion' and just does whatever she wants because She Is Right.

These are not stories about 'not engaging the Nazis in good faith'. These situations are set up as nuanced problems where in reality you'd want to balance the interests of everyone involved, and instead Disco says the answer is gently caress You I'm Right.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sure but that has nothing at all to do with what Newt is on about

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Erulisse posted:

Phew I thought it was just me going crazy and not her breakfast face

I don't know. I mean, there's something going on here, but I didn't get a cannibal vibe. More like, this woman's daughter secretly had a bastard child, again, and she just found out. So ostensibly in an effort to reconnect with her estranged daughter, she invites her, her child, and her daughter's baby's father over for a family get-together. The baby's father was killed immediately when he arrived, and she made the daughter dig the graves for both of them before shooting her daughter in the back of the head and pushing her into her ever-growing Family Shame Grave.

Then, as she was casually carrying the baby to a dumpster to be disposed of like the garbage she knows it to be, someone recognized her, and they took a picture just as she was about to heave the baby carrier into the dumpster. That smile was the best she could manage, and the seatbelt comment was totally off-the-cuff.

I'm not saying she's never eaten babies before. I just don't think she was going to eat this one in particular.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Star Trek has always been just outside the orbit of being Star Wars-like mega popular and always has this air of just barely hanging on by its fingernails despite how near-universally beloved it is, which has persisted since 60s.

After seeing everything that's happened to Star Wars since A New Hope, my most solemn media wish is that what happened to Wars never happens to Trek. As bad as people think Trek gets, even the worst Trek, hell, even TOS and TOS movies aren't as bad as the least-bad non-OT Star War.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

USE A CHILD SAFETY SEAT

instead of a plastic bag when you buy meat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

After seeing everything that's happened to Star Wars since A New Hope, my most solemn media wish is that what happened to Wars never happens to Trek. As bad as people think Trek gets, even the worst Trek, hell, even TOS and TOS movies aren't as bad as the least-bad non-OT Star War.

I think the lowest trek is lower than the lowest Star Wars, actually, but there's also a hundred times more of it, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. I don't think any of the star wars movies were as bad, either in-and-of themselves or for the franchise as, say, Nemesis.

And the current quality of both, if you're comparing the mandalorian to disco or Picard... I'd "suffer through" a trek series with that much care taken and that balance of new story and fan service

Lower Decks is great though, full stop.

All imo obviously, and the Ent-D could easily take a Star Destroyer, fwiw

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But could Unicron defeat the Death Star?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

But could Unicron defeat the Death Star?

Unicron IS the death star :ssh:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Bloop posted:

All imo obviously, and the Ent-D could easily take a Star Destroyer, fwiw

Star Destroyer could literally nudge it to death.

Remember, the Enterprise catastrophically explodes from a fenderbender.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sash! posted:

And Star Destroyers get tapped and fall (???) out of space

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

I mean sure if it could ram it, the mass differential is bonkers, but I think the D is a tad more maneuverable

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I don't actually think it's an unfair characterisation of the problem with Discovery's writing (once you get past the bile and hateful agenda the writer has).

Take the Vulcan episode for example. The factions on the planet aren't treated as a set of groups with overlapping interests and equities that conflict with each other and need to be treated with nuance and respect, they're treated as a bunch of squabbling fools who are blind to the big picture and need Michael to step in and give them a teary eyed speech about why they should just do what she wants.

Take Trill. Exactly the same problem. Picard would have realised that the planet is tinder and Adira is a match and the episode would have been about negotiating access to the pools in a culturally sensitive and respectful way. Michael is all 'gently caress your religion' and just does whatever she wants because She Is Right.

These are not stories about 'not engaging the Nazis in good faith'. These situations are set up as nuanced problems where in reality you'd want to balance the interests of everyone involved, and instead Disco says the answer is gently caress You I'm Right.

Ah, the Federation Savior Complex.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Bloop posted:

I mean sure if it could ram it, the mass differential is bonkers, but I think the D is a tad more maneuverable

Aaw poo poo we having a star trek vs star wars war?

Let me get out my thesis.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Star Wars is the only series of movies, that aren’t considered schlock, where even fans can only agree one of the movies is good. Maybe two. Two of Nine.

Sure people bitch about Star Trek movies, but fans of Trek generally agree that four of 13 are good with 2009 being on the cusp.

Therefore Star Trek, in movies alone, is a better franchise. That’s before including some of the best television to ever exist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
All Star Wars is good (except TROS and Resistance).

All Star Trek is good (except half of Voyager and like 1/3rd of Discovery).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Star Wars is the only series of movies, that aren’t considered schlock, where even fans can only agree one of the movies is good. Maybe two. Two of Nine.

Only people who like to complain

It's all fun, just as intended

Even that one you hate, yes you

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nine-gear crow posted:

Wha—? WHY?! What kind of galaxy brain dill weed looks at Prime Universe Reginald Barclay’s life and goes “hmm, yes, THAT, that’s the life I will steal and impersonate. This person with his wasteland of a social life and veritable Noah’s Ark’s worth easily recognizable and hard to replicate quirks and tics, this is the person who I will fully and seamlessly subsume.”

I’m disappointed in Mirror Reg. He can do so much better...

If I was Mirror Barclay, I'd absolutely try to switch with normal Barclay. Life would be much safer and you'd have entertainment like the holodeck.

Doctor Nutt posted:

hosed up that we're (9?) episodes in and we have no idea what the Klingons are up to in the future??? I would have loved to see them as part of the Federation but I would love it even more if they now talk about Worf and Martok the way they talk about Kahless on TNG. (Also my autocorrect almost made that Woof and Martin)

Completely agree. I really hope the burn stuff is solved this season and next season is just them trying to rebuild the federation/visiting planets with more episodic episodes.

Maybe he should just not pay to watch instead of demand the show make changes he wants.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

If I was Mirror Barclay, I'd absolutely try to switch with normal Barclay. Life would be much safer and you'd have entertainment like the holodeck.

Completely agree. I really hope the burn stuff is solved this season and next season is just them trying to rebuild the federation/visiting planets with more episodic episodes.

Maybe he should just not pay to watch instead of demand the show make changes he wants.

It would certainly give him enough time to get that moon base up and running, and then we could admit it as a state.

Because he said that. He totally, unironically said that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

tarlibone posted:

I don't know. I mean, there's something going on here, but I didn't get a cannibal vibe. More like, this woman's daughter secretly had a bastard child, again, and she just found out. So ostensibly in an effort to reconnect with her estranged daughter, she invites her, her child, and her daughter's baby's father over for a family get-together. The baby's father was killed immediately when he arrived, and she made the daughter dig the graves for both of them before shooting her daughter in the back of the head and pushing her into her ever-growing Family Shame Grave.

Then, as she was casually carrying the baby to a dumpster to be disposed of like the garbage she knows it to be, someone recognized her, and they took a picture just as she was about to heave the baby carrier into the dumpster. That smile was the best she could manage, and the seatbelt comment was totally off-the-cuff.

I'm not saying she's never eaten babies before. I just don't think she was going to eat this one in particular.

And yet somehow this is still better than DISCO writing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would just like to say that Michelle Yeoh is loving awesome enough that I'm almost looking forward to the S31 show

Like, if it wasn't a Trek show, "Michelle Yeoh is a secret agent who is really good at her job, but her preferred method is destroying people by being really loving mean" would be a must-watch under any circumstances.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All Star Wars is good (except TROS and Resistance).

I'm basically on board with this. I'm at the point of thinking that AotC is better than Episode 9.

Enterprise is worse than Voyager in a lot of ways, because it's forgettable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would just like to say that Michelle Yeoh is loving awesome enough that I'm almost looking forward to the S31 show

Like, if it wasn't a Trek show, "Michelle Yeoh is a secret agent who is really good at her job, but her preferred method is destroying people by being really loving mean" would be a must-watch under any circumstances.

Star Trek: Mean Girls

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"All of Enterprise is good" is a hell of a stance to take.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

I think the lowest trek is lower than the lowest Star Wars, actually, but there's also a hundred times more of it, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. I don't think any of the star wars movies were as bad, either in-and-of themselves or for the franchise as, say, Nemesis.

No, Rise of Skywalker is unsalvageably terrible. Even the shittiest Star Trek films at least try to tell their own story for better or worse, Rise of Skywalker is just two hours of JJ Abrams stomping his feet and screeching "NUH-UH" like a stubborn child while retconning anything interesting Rian did in The Last Jedi, even when it makes zero sense how it happened (eg; Luke's lightsabre being magically intact). Not to mention sidelining four characters, including Rose Tico quite probably because she didn't exist in The Force Awakens and wasn't part of JJ Abram's vision, into a functional one-set vacuum to work the digital Leia puppet for three quarters of the film.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, Rise of Skywalker is unsalvageably terrible. Even the shittiest Star Trek films at least try to tell their own story for better or worse, Rise of Skywalker is just two hours of JJ Abrams stomping his feet and screeching "NUH-UH" like a stubborn child while retconning anything interesting Rian did in The Last Jedi, even when it makes zero sense how it happened (eg; Luke's lightsabre being magically intact). Not to mention sidelining four characters, including Rose Tico quite probably because she didn't exist in The Force Awakens and wasn't part of JJ Abram's vision, into a functional one-set vacuum to work the digital Leia puppet for three quarters of the film.

I mean you're entitled to your opinion and I don't particularly disagree with any of your complaints but I still think there are worse episodes (and at least one movie) of trek

A lot more TNG main cast got sidelined in movies, as one example

I think RoS is salvageable and I think that's actually a good word for it. There's plenty there that IS enjoyable if you aren't thinking of meta issues

But I'm unlikely to convince you and won't put much effort into trying

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Sounds like someone needs some faith of the heart

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Someone needs to go watch Dear Doctor in the first season again and watch Phlox and Archer agree that eugenics and letting a sentient species go extinct when they can be saved are a good thing.

The Bloop posted:

I mean you're entitled to your opinion and I don't particularly disagree with any of your complaints but I still think there are worse episodes (and at least one movie) of trek

A lot more TNG main cast got sidelined in movies, as one example

I think RoS is salvageable and I think that's actually a good word for it. There's plenty there that IS enjoyable if you aren't thinking of meta issues

But I'm unlikely to convince you and won't put much effort into trying

The TNG movies are indeed trash outside of First Contact, especially Insurrection, but they're at least somewhat watchable. Rise of Skywalker was just an exhausting experience because there's zero suspense or surprise to it. Everything is either telegraphed well in advance Oh boy kids, strap in for half an hour of "I've never done this before" amnesia jokes from C-3PO until the 'big surprise' of R2 having a backup comes around!, or just slams a retread of Empire AND Return of the Jedi together like it's gotta make up for lost time due to The Last Jedi having the gall to not repeat Empire verbatim. The Leia scenes are just frankly embarrassing for all concerned and I just felt sorry for the actors stuck trying to make them work. Also the only two people who acted like they wanted to be in the film are Billy Dee Williams and Ian McDermid going ham for all they're worth. I feel if you tried to salvage the film, you'd quickly wind up with something built differently almost from the ground-up rather than minor changes because of just how badly it's made.

I will give praise to one good scene that deserved to be in a better movie; Ben Skywalker's "death" and redemption were a great redo of the Force Awaken's climax.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ll take microwaved post-9/11 blandness over Neelix episodes and racist-rear end akoocheemoya poo poo any day. Voyager is just a slog until Seven shows up and the Doctor gets his emitter.