Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Deviant posted:

Someone told me the turbo models just burn off coolant but I can't confirm that statement.

I smell the burnt maple syrup of a coolant leak all the time around my GTI but the coolant level doesn't seem to go down. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dont think i would buy a modern audi and expect 200k kms.

But y? I’m already at 150k on a Touareg it’s basically the same thing, no?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

About to get some rear brakes and rotors for my B8.5 S4. Akebono ceramics and ECS slotted rotors sound good?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nitr0 posted:

But y? I’m already at 150k on a Touareg it’s basically the same thing, no?

because the plural of anecdote is not data

edit although that's what, 120k miles? eh you'll probably manage

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just picked up a “new” 2019 RS5 Sportback. I say “new” because it’s a new car but it’s effectively a two year old model now and the 2021s are starting to arrive at dealers. I guess they were slow sellers because there’s still about a dozen across the country (I’m in Canada) and Audi didn’t release a 2020 model in North America.

These are pictures from the dealer.

It has every option except ceramic front brakes. Those are a standalone option in Canada and can only be optioned as a custom order that’s already sold to a customer.

I normally get black cars but 35% off MSRP plus no charge 2 year extended warranty, front and rear OEM winter floor mats, trunk liner, ceramic tint, and new Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series II with OEM RS5 wheels and TPMS sensor was hard to say no to.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 13, 2020

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
^that's gorgeous, grats! Don't see many of those around

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I love it! Definitely would prefer that one to black myself haha

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just picked up a “new” 2019 RS5 Sportback. I say “new” because it’s a new car but it’s effectively a two year old model now and the 2021s are starting to arrive at dealers. I guess they were slow sellers because there’s still about a dozen across the country (I’m in Canada) and Audi didn’t release a 2020 model in North America.

It has every option except ceramic front brakes. Those are a standalone option in Canada and can only be optioned as a custom order that’s already sold to a customer.

I normally get black cars but 35% off MSRP plus no charge 2 year extended warranty, front and rear OEM winter floor mats, trunk liner, ceramic tint, and new Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series II with OEM RS5 wheels and TPMS sensor was hard to say no to.

Beaut, what did you get it for?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CAD$78,000 and the MSRP was about CAD$117,000.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Mr. Apollo posted:

CAD$78,000 and the MSRP was about CAD$117,000.

1/3rd off! Well played sir :monocle:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had read posts on AudiWorld and AudiZine back in the summer about people getting 2019 RS5s for S5 prices or getting 20% - 25% off the sticker. I figured it was almost the end of the year and the dealership might be more motivated to sell. I offered $78K after emailing back and forth for a week, fully expecting to negotiate, and they came back with “if we say yes do we have a deal?” After seeing how much stuff they included in the price I wondered if I could have gotten more off but I’m happy with the price.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Was getting gas a few days back and a nardo grey RS5 pulled into the pump behind me. Very, very nice.

Are you using it as a daily driver or is it just for fun days?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

Was getting gas a few days back and a nardo grey RS5 pulled into the pump behind me. Very, very nice.

Are you using it as a daily driver or is it just for fun days?
Daily driver although I don't drive very much since I take public transit to and from work. Since I've been working from home I've been driving even less.

Normally I put on about 8,000 miles a year. This year I'm at just over 6,000 so far.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 14, 2020

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had read posts on AudiWorld and AudiZine back in the summer about people getting 2019 RS5s for S5 prices or getting 20% - 25% off the sticker. I figured it was almost the end of the year and the dealership might be more motivated to sell. I offered $78K after emailing back and forth for a week, fully expecting to negotiate, and they came back with “if we say yes do we have a deal?” After seeing how much stuff they included in the price I wondered if I could have gotten more off but I’m happy with the price.

Ugggghhhh there's a white one in Moncton which I could get for around that price to replace my S3. So tempting. What did they originally have it listed for?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just picked up a “new” 2019 RS5 Sportback.

beautiful car. the first Audi dealer I went to had a red RS5 on the floor and that sold me on the entire thing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mik posted:

Ugggghhhh there's a white one in Moncton which I could get for around that price to replace my S3. So tempting. What did they originally have it listed for?
They already had it marked down to $90,000. People in Canada seem to be getting them for around the $80K mark. I know a guy who picked one up with the carbon ceramic front brakes back in September for $85K.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

beautiful car. the first Audi dealer I went to had a red RS5 on the floor and that sold me on the entire thing.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 15, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

That's a lovely looking car you got yourself there Mr Apollo. Very nice indeed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Agreed Mr. Apollo, and if you're in Vancouver you should show that car to me in person once the world is done ending.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Well I'm in Toronto so it's a bit of a drive. :)

The car will hopefully be delivered within the next few days. I had to buy it from a dealer in Montreal. Thankfully I know a few people there so they were able to go and check everything out. The dealer was good too, providing me with lost of photos and facetime calls.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I love it! Definitely would prefer that one to black myself haha
same, i like black cars too but that red looks fully loving sick. well done

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does anyone know anyone who could help me with some European part numbers? I'd like to get the EU sun visors that don't have all the airbag warning stickers on them. There are places that sell them but they want $400 for a pair. I can buy them directly from part suppliers for $85 each but I need to know the part number. The problem is that there are 18 separate listing for the left and right black sun visors. I'm looking for the ones that are illuminated with a vanity mirror and are telescoping.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You'll probably have the best luck on a Audi enthusiast board.

I think the catalog system (ETKA) is global so you could get a Audi parts manager to look it up, but it would benefit you in that process to have a VIN of a car with the exact visors you want.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll probably have the best luck on a Audi enthusiast board.

I think the catalog system (ETKA) is global so you could get a Audi parts manager to look it up, but it would benefit you in that process to have a VIN of a car with the exact visors you want.
That's the problem, everyone pays the $400 to get them from the resellers. No one wants to disclose the part numbers because "if I had to pay the $400 then you do too".

I've been looking at European car sales sites to get VINs to use in ETKA but they don't seem to list the VINs for used cars like they do here in North America.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is a great car. I think I would have ended up with an RS5 if I hadn't gone lectric in the end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's the problem, everyone pays the $400 to get them from the resellers. No one wants to disclose the part numbers because "if I had to pay the $400 then you do too".

I've been looking at European car sales sites to get VINs to use in ETKA but they don't seem to list the VINs for used cars like they do here in North America.

It's been a hot minute since I poked around in ETKA but if I recall correctly you don't NEED a vin for ETKA lookup as long as you have chassis, year, market etc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's been a hot minute since I poked around in ETKA but if I recall correctly you don't NEED a vin for ETKA lookup as long as you have chassis, year, market etc.
No you don't but I thought it would help narrow down the options since it would only show the ones specific to that car.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Splashed out this year on a set of winter tires and winter wheels for my S4. It came with summer tires and I live in MA so I was going to have do something anyway if I were going to drive the car at all for the next 5 months.

Took a little winding snow and ice covered road in the dark last night and the car was perfectly comfortable and controlled without a hint of slip or skittishness. Just perfectly behaved the whole road.

I guarantee my GTI would have had me gripping the wheel and hunched forward waiting for signs of slipping with a hard time to come if we got stuck. Even with my wifes AWD Toyota I would have expected some sliding even if I doubt we'd get stuck in the foot or so we've accumulated so far.

Quattro and snow tires are as good as I've been told.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Murgos posted:

I guarantee my GTI would have had me gripping the wheel and hunched forward waiting for signs of slipping with a hard time to come if we got stuck.

The last winter I had my GTI, I had my old all seasons (worn beyond being useful in snow) for the first storm and slid everywhere. I put on my winter tires and couldn't get the car to slip unless I purposefully forced it to.

My AWD BMW on all seasons was way worse in the snow than the GTI on winter tires. Sadly, AWD + winter tires means I need to be actively being dangerous to get any fun out of it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My GTI is fantastic in the snow but for sure an AWD would be better.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I test drove a GTI today, second one ever. I talked with my wife and all and that's the car we'll get (our second one, we have a stupid SUV). But, and this is a big but, the price they ask for a used model is just loving insane: $31K CAD for a 2018 Autobahn with 27k km on it.The 2021 GTI Autobahn is $36K CAD. The only thing I'd pay more on a new one would be $1700 CAD freight and PDI (and tax on that, so ... $2k ). And they wouldn't budge on price. I offered them $27K CAD on the spot, they just said no.

So, we thought, I'd just buy a new one, even if I'd have to finance some of it. Am I insane? Should I even look at these quite crazy prices? On a new one I'd have the full warranty (whatever they offer now in Canada, 4 years?), the knowledge that all the fuckups are mine and all the gentle caring is mine too.

Am I getting myself into something that I wish I didn't get myself into? Should I better buy a 2016 model (Android Auto is really nice, wouldn't go older than that)?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Volguus posted:

I test drove a GTI today, second one ever. I talked with my wife and all and that's the car we'll get (our second one, we have a stupid SUV). But, and this is a big but, the price they ask for a used model is just loving insane: $31K CAD for a 2018 Autobahn with 27k km on it.The 2021 GTI Autobahn is $36K CAD. The only thing I'd pay more on a new one would be $1700 CAD freight and PDI (and tax on that, so ... $2k ). And they wouldn't budge on price. I offered them $27K CAD on the spot, they just said no.

So, we thought, I'd just buy a new one, even if I'd have to finance some of it. Am I insane? Should I even look at these quite crazy prices? On a new one I'd have the full warranty (whatever they offer now in Canada, 4 years?), the knowledge that all the fuckups are mine and all the gentle caring is mine too.

Am I getting myself into something that I wish I didn't get myself into? Should I better buy a 2016 model (Android Auto is really nice, wouldn't go older than that)?

I know it's not what you're talking about but I put a $600 head unit into my 2007 GTI and it now has flawless like-factory android auto. I'm not sure how tricky it is for an audio shop to put a similar/newer head unit into a more modern car with all the integrations but I wouldn't base purchasing decisions on it.

I agree that the used price is nuts and that you shouldn't give them the time of day if they're asking 5k less for a used 2018 than the sticker price of a 2021.

Also, seems like Canada is overrepresented in this thread, I like it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I know it's not what you're talking about but I put a $600 head unit into my 2007 GTI and it now has flawless like-factory android auto. I'm not sure how tricky it is for an audio shop to put a similar/newer head unit into a more modern car with all the integrations but I wouldn't base purchasing decisions on it.

I agree that the used price is nuts and that you shouldn't give them the time of day if they're asking 5k less for a used 2018 than the sticker price of a 2021.

Also, seems like Canada is overrepresented in this thread, I like it.

My wife would kill me if I'd wanna buy such an old car. Her reason?: safety. She does have a point somewhat, as in 10 years yes, safety measures have improved, you cannot deny that. And, in her view, the 10 year old car is unreliable. It's fine, I like shiny new toys too. I'm not even remotely going to try to argue that with logic and then have my 10 year old car break on me and put whatever $$ into it to get it going again. I'm not a mechanic so ... yeah.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh no I was just saying if you get a newer car but not new enough for Android auto that it's possible to put in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The current VW integration with CarPlay is very solid. I presume it's similar for AA.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My kid is looking at a 2013 passat wolfsburg which only has 30k miles for $10k. I'm not too familiar with the passats. Any major concerns with this year/model?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Dumb question on my B7 A4 that's getting long in the tooth. Some times on start up, it's very, very rough and doesn't quite start — accompanied with the engine temp gauge jumping right up to 50% in the middle and staying put there. I thought this might have been an exhaust thing / not getting enough backpressure, but maybe misreported coolant temp / engine temp is having the ECU operate on bad data.

Other times on start up, it's smooth, instant and engine temp starts on "C" and slowly heads up to the middle. I thought it was related to "duration", i.e. after a single rough start and driving, it would be fine, but it seems to be independent — car has sat for days and not exhibited the issue, but then has also sat for days and exhibited the same problem.

Should I just replace the sensor (or unseat it, check for corrosion / wire terminals), or is something more insiduous at work? Engine is north of 150K miles and seems to have a slow oil + coolant leak in action, judging from the contents of my garage floor.

Alright, I finally got around to finding my VAG-COM adapter and well.... I'm not super happy about the pile of poo poo that I think could be wrong with my A4 now. Especially irritating considering I've maintained it responsibly and since early 2018, I have driven less than 10,000 miles per year. I got the timing belt done pre-emptively in 2016 around 90,000 miles and everything. At least now, compared to my earlier and younger posts in this thread, I own a home, have a garage and an alternate means of transportation (motorcycle and/or GF's car) so I can be pretty patient in trying to fix stuff instead of panicking and working from Friday night through the weekend to be ready to drive Monday morning.

At this point, my car has been off for almost 2-3 months now; attached to battery tender and garaged, but it's been awhile.

1. With vehicle off, VCDS reports coolant temperature of 95 C... OK, that doesn't seem right unless it's some kind of default value from the ECU. Probably a good idea to replace the CTS.

2. I've had a slow oil leak and coolant leak for some time now. The oil I chalked up to age of the engine, and the coolant, I am more mystified by as I had the rear engine coolant flange replaced at the same time the timing belt was done. Thought that would have fixed it. A bunch of AudiZine/AudiWorld/etc threads later... sounds like a loving bitch of a job in some cases if that rear flange has failed again, or possibly easier if it's actually just leakage around where the CTS is, which would also explain the above. Easy enough to investigate with my little inspection cam / mirror thing to see what the situation there is.

3. Overdue for an oil change as well... got the stuff to do it now because it was cheap, and going to try some of the Liqui-Moly additives in the course of it to see if it helps out my older engine.

4. Battery was older, replaced with a new one because it was cheap. I'll use the old one to back up some electrical projects I have around the house or something, whatever.

And now the lovely part, codes, pulled after changing the battery (mileage at code pull: 223750 km / 139031 mi):

code:
5 Faults Found:
012417 - Engine Temperature too Low 
               P3081 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00111000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 219370 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1112 /min
                    Load: 16.9 %
                    Speed: 15.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 3.0∞C
                    Temperature: 11.0∞C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 14.224 V

004506 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) 
               P119A - 001 - Malfunction - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00110001
                    Mileage: 220785 km

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 783 /min
                    Load: 20.0 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 89.0∞C
                    Temperature: 21.0∞C
                    Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.716 V

000022 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28) 
               P0016 - 008 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Mileage: 223104 km

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1704 /min
                    Load: 10.2 %
                    Speed: 37.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 99.0∞C
                    Temperature: 38.0∞C
                    Voltage: 13.716 V

000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected 
               P0300 - 008 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Mileage: 223158 km

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 852 /min
                    Load: 28.6 %
                    Speed: 25.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 72.0∞C
                    Temperature: 14.0∞C
                    Voltage: 14.097 V

005634 - Power Supply Terminal 30 
               P1602 - 002 - Voltage too Low - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Mileage: 0 km

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 0 /min
                    Load: 0.0 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: -40.0∞C
                    Temperature: -40.0∞C
                    Absolute Pres.: 0.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 0.000 V

Readiness: 0110 0101
P1602, whatever, that's probably from me replacing the battery. Going to ignore it.

P0300, I got once before (even posted in this thread about it!), replaced coilpacks... 60,000 km (I changed my car to metric at some point, my units above were miles) seems like a short interval to me for a coilpack to die. But still suspicious, and is recent + likely related to the below one.

P0016... oh man, I do not like what I'm reading about this. Especially because I loving paid and properly had the timing belt serviced BEFORE this could happen! It sounds like I need to get into a position where I can at least inspect the current position of the belt and tensioner, and not attempt to start the engine until I do that. Even after the "hard" starts, I did not notice loss of power or odd poo poo after the engine had warmed up, so I'm hoping that nothing has been bent like some of the other posts and threads I've seen.

P119A... well, I remember long ago reading a post in some AI thread, and knowing the basics of how engines work... I need compression, air, fuel and spark. Having a failing fuel pump, clogged filter, knowing that HPFP is troublesome on these vehicles... could explain why it has trouble starting sometimes. Not the most recent code though.

P3081, bad coolant sensor would explain this, seems like a typical implausible value fault. Cheap to replace, just labor.

At a minimum, I think my next steps are:

1. Inspect timing chain belt and tensioner.
2. Investigate rear coolant flange on engine / look for source of coolant leak.
3. Clean as much coolant / oil / corrosion from the coolant out as I can from engine area.
3. Replace CTS, possibly rear coolant flange on engine.
4. Replace coolant.
5. Change oil, follow up with a short-term oil change (<1000 mi) with additive again based on how bad the oil that comes out is.

So, immediate questions, that I've searched for somewhat but if one of you more articulate goons has an idea, I'm happy to listen vs. trying to hunt down long absent Tapatalk attachments from the other forums:

1. What's the minimum amount of poo poo I have to remove / get out of the way to check on my timing belt and tensioner? I have an inspection camera that can snake around, if that helps at all.
2. Am I barking up the right tree in debugging? Maybe the shop hosed up replacing the timing belt, or didn't replace all the parts. I have the receipt / records of the work, I know it was "done" but I guess potentially it wasn't done well enough.

e: I freaked out too early and am a moron. I have a 2006 B7 A4, 2.0T, which AFAIK, should have a timing belt, not a chain. So this guy's ordeal (https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/689097-Timing-tensioner-failure-Lucky-me-3-codes-p0011-p0016-amp-p0299-Now-with-Pics/page3, honestly decently written up) may not be 100% applicable. Maybe I need to go check the cam follower.

movax fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 23, 2020

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So I bought that Q8, and it's awesome. Really shines at night.

Anyway, what is the best coding resources these days? For example I want to enable the interior lighting features as that's pretty much the only thing I care about comparing the progressiv vs technik trim levels.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carista might do it, worth googling.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Will do. Haven't coded anything since that BMW 135i you rode in like 10 years ago lol. I'm sure things have progressed a lot since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I haven’t done much googling yet, but I did see APR has a home-tuning option where you can buy their software and tuning cable. Does anyone have any experience with this rather than just throwing down $1k at your local VW tuner shop for a stage 1 tune? Is it fairly idiot proof? I’ve done some mega squirt tuning on my Miata, but I can afford to blow that up. MK7 GTI not so much.