Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rydiafan posted:

Very few enemies can actually summon other enemies, but the second part of the quote makes me think you have run into a core gameplay mechanic. To prevent the player from leaving one weak enemy alive so they can heal and destress their entire party before finishing the combat, the game starts summoning reinforcements after a certain number of rounds.

Also, and this may or may not be of any help, but running into these things is exactly how the game tells you these things exist. It's the same reason that the interactables don't tell you the correct way to handle them. You have to discover the right solutions through failure. If you can't win this fight, and you need to leave the quest, then do so. Now you know for the next mission. The game does not have a fail state on the macro level, so there's nothing wrong with failing on the micro level.
This was changed. The game now just ramps up stress hits if you leave a single enemy alive too long.

The game does have a macro fail state on the toughest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

rydiafan posted:

Also, and this may or may not be of any help, but running into these things is exactly how the game tells you these things exist. It's the same reason that the interactables don't tell you the correct way to handle them. You have to discover the right solutions through failure. If you can't win this fight, and you need to leave the quest, then do so. Now you know for the next mission. The game does not have a fail state on the macro level, so there's nothing wrong with failing on the micro level.

That's reassuring. So far in my experience though, the highs, in regards to costs/rewards, don't match up to the lows. However, I'm willing to believe that's due to the lack of experience in the first place. I guess the little thing dragging me down is my impatience.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve picked up Driver San Francisco again and as a whole its just as good as when I first played it.

The thing that annoys me is the camera though. I’m used to games now where they give you free 360 control of the camera around your car (like modern GTA) but this game only allows you to look left, right, or back (like older GTA).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Controller layouts weren’t super standardized til like 2012ish, but jump being on y is just baffling. It’s been on A for most games for decades, it’s probably the first example of controls being standard from game to game and genre to genre.

Still some games where it's "non-standard."

Getting back into The Witcher 3, and jump is O on PS4, which is B on an X Box. Not as bad as the freakin' Y button, but I still keep tryin to sprint when I mean to jump because it's just so ingrained that the bottom-most button is jump.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hollow Knight is basically perfect. The only thing that annoys me is some of the optional bosses are super hard, that's totally fine. But to access them you locate the corpse of their basic version and use an item to enter a Dream (harder) fight. That's all good but these fights are intended to be really hard. And you have to do a little platforming every time after entering the dream to get to the arena. When you die in the fight you just leave the dream rather than it be a normal death. So it encourages trying again and again but also has that bit of irritating platforming each time that just wastes time. And it really adds up. Been playing Cuphead recently too and going for A+ ranks on fights and it's an instant restart to the start of the fight each time and makes such a difference to flow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DMC5: I wish Nero had fewer combos that ended in a knockback move. The game encourages finishing your combos with bonus style and damage on the last hit, but many of Nero's finish by batting the enemy away, meaning I now have to reel them back in with the grapple or close the gap myself. I could just finish the combo with another move with no knockback like a Color Up shot, but then I'd lose out on the style boost!

edit: Additional thing but this one is a bit more personal preference, it bugs me when one attack button press results in two attacks in a combo chain. Nero's Y Y, Y Y Y Y combo for example has him do two swings on the bolded button press and it makes it hard for me to keep count instead of mashing. I wish my brain had more capacity for action game attentiveness!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Dec 22, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DrBouvenstein posted:

Still some games where it's "non-standard."

Getting back into The Witcher 3, and jump is O on PS4, which is B on an X Box. Not as bad as the freakin' Y button, but I still keep tryin to sprint when I mean to jump because it's just so ingrained that the bottom-most button is jump.

Breath of the Wild has it on X (the upper face button) by default but fortunately you can swap it back to the "normal" one. Splatoon 1 also had it there for some reason, I played the game enough to where it felt natural but it was a relief that they moved away from it for the sequel.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EmmyOk posted:

Hollow Knight is basically perfect. The only thing that annoys me is some of the optional bosses are super hard, that's totally fine. But to access them you locate the corpse of their basic version and use an item to enter a Dream (harder) fight. That's all good but these fights are intended to be really hard. And you have to do a little platforming every time after entering the dream to get to the arena. When you die in the fight you just leave the dream rather than it be a normal death. So it encourages trying again and again but also has that bit of irritating platforming each time that just wastes time. And it really adds up. Been playing Cuphead recently too and going for A+ ranks on fights and it's an instant restart to the start of the fight each time and makes such a difference to flow.

I've been playing this too, and I agree, but would extend this to the whole game. I personally dont feel it gains anything from its souls influenced mechanics. If you are trying to do something specific (a boss say) then having to platform your way back to the boss room from the nearest bench quickly becomes tedious, and some of the bosses are really kind of obnoxiously far from a bench. And the losing currency on death (unless you can get back to your corpse and defeat your shade) varies between meaningless (I've currently bought out all the vendors I have access to, so currency is pretty much worthless to me right now) to absolutely crushing (in the early game, when money is tight as gently caress, I was saving up for something that cost I think 1800, I had 1200 and died in a platforming bit. I then died again trying to reach my shade. Honestly I nearly quit the game entirely at that point).

Its also kind of inconsistant about shade placement. Sometimes its exactly where you died, sometimes it seems to be a fixed place in the room regardless of where in the room you died. And similarly for bosses; It usually puts the shade just before the boss room, which I appreciate, but sometimes it puts it IN the boss room, so I have to go back into the room with the boss I couldnt beat last time, with an extra enemy (because I gotta focus on the shade first if I dont want to lose it) AND with lowered maximum magic? Doesnt feel good.

I'll freely admit I'm critical of souls mechanics in general (they just arent generally my thing, and I think they often dont respect the players time), but I really dont feel like anything would have been lost by, when you die, simply resetting you to the previous room, wallet intact instead of dumping you at a bench, taking your money and lowering your maximum stored magic.

Oh, and I loving hate how the game deals with spike damage differently than from enemy damage. I lost a shitload of money in the mid game when I got hit by a giant jumping bug onto some spikes (as your temporary invulnerability from a hit DOESNT protect you from spikes, only enemies) and it reset me onto the platform with the giant jumping bug, who knocks me off again into the same drat spikes. Also my biggest source of deaths when I was trying to fight the Mantis Lords.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't mind the boss runs for the most part I thought they were quite short. Agree that the platforming sections where every death is two masks of damage sucked though. The Shade should have been removed also. I don't mind the corpose retrieval but it's placement was very inconsistent including in certain boss rooms it would spawn in the room rather than outside. Or Spawn in the middle of a hard platforming area and other times at the start of it etc.. I didn't mind losing the Geo because when you have everything bought out you'll go on to accumulate thousands on thousands. There is also a character in dirthmouth who can resummon your shade for you if you lose it with tonnes of geo super far in or in awkward platforming.

The dream runs annoyed me because they weren't really bosuns they were clearly supposed to be quick retries but weren't quick enough and the bosses were a lot harder so you were expected to die far more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

DMC5: I wish Nero had fewer combos that ended in a knockback move. The game encourages finishing your combos with bonus style and damage on the last hit, but many of Nero's finish by batting the enemy away, meaning I now have to reel them back in with the grapple or close the gap myself. I could just finish the combo with another move with no knockback like a Color Up shot, but then I'd lose out on the style boost!

edit: Additional thing but this one is a bit more personal preference, it bugs me when one attack button press results in two attacks in a combo chain. Nero's Y Y, Y Y Y Y combo for example has him do two swings on the bolded button press and it makes it hard for me to keep count instead of mashing. I wish my brain had more capacity for action game attentiveness!

How people have the memory for all those combos and moves is beyond me. That's why I cannot be great at those kinds of character action games or fighting games and why stuff like Arkham, AssCreed, Insomniac's Spider-Man, or Ghost of Tsushima have been great because it feels like when playing those there is no ceiling to my skill level and they are more about moment-to-moment ingenuity than long combo strings.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I remember in hollow knight spending what felt like an hour or two slowly grinding through the Path of Pain, the optional super-difficult platforming area. It's full of really tight platforming, but in hollow knight the thorns/spikes just send you to the last solid ground instead of instakilling you, so there are platforms that act as pseudo-checkpoints and you can keep on making progress and retrying each subsection forever.
It's a pure platforming challenge with no enemies, until right at the end of the area, just before you win, where two elite enemies spawn. If they kill you, 1 inch from the end of the area, you actually have to redo the entire path of pain from the beginning. I died to those guys and then just gave up instead of trying again.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

oh dope posted:

That's reassuring. So far in my experience though, the highs, in regards to costs/rewards, don't match up to the lows. However, I'm willing to believe that's due to the lack of experience in the first place. I guess the little thing dragging me down is my impatience.

A couple of words of friendly advice;

-If you have and enabled the Crimson court DLC on campaign startup and did the first mission to activate it, save yourself some trouble and restart without it. The game lies to you to get the DLC activated way too early, and assholishly puts you into a set of unneccessarily unfair and difficult fights and punishing mechanisms, and on top of that the Crimson Court enemies also leak into other areas ruining them for less than lvl 3 characters. You definately should not have that on your first run.

-For the last, Darkest Dungeon levels; they are non-randomized set pieces all with different gimmicks. Unless you absolutely enjoy grinding and losing lvl6 parties, you should check out these gimmicks beforehand so you know what to expect. I think beforeIplay wiki has minimally spoilery list of advice.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

CJacobs posted:

Just gotta remember to buster them back to you after they get knocked away, friend :colbert:

What's worse is going from Nero to Dante and having that muscle memory ingrained and then you don't have it. Then you have to switch it to "switch to Trickster to teleport to them"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oh dope posted:

while what you're currently dealing with is pretty normal friction when starting a game and learning the mechanics, your complaint is still totally relevant because of the boss battles and darkest dungeon itself. they generally want you to bring a very specific team that can counter some gimmick and there is virtually no way to know what you should bring ahead of time other than just going in there and losing before coming back with the actual correct team or looking it up.

the problem with the former is that darkest dungeon is grindy as poo poo and if you lose characters and trinkets because you didn't bring the right team to the darkest dungeon for example, you are looking at hours of grinding to replace what you lost just to be able to try a second time. that is simply too long in a game that comes pretty close to overstaying its welcome even if you don't even lose anyone. I've completed the game without losing a character, in other words no serious setbacks, and it still took more than 60 hours to finish.

so just look things up. specifically what items to use on curios, what the bosses do, and what's up with the darkest dungeon. it's a better experience that way.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Speaking of non-standard controller layouts

I'm playing nioh at the moment

I keep trying to attack with my stance button
(Xbox controller)
The well worn R1 - light R2-heavy is no more

It is X-light Y-heavy in this game, which is kinda funny

Not sure if it's a criticism but
Game is just fast, I'm playing it with a controller as is reccomended and it genuinely feels like the lag of moving the stick through the wall cycle to get to the run cycle is impairing it

It really expects frame perfect precision and planning pretty much all the time with bosses

As a criticism though

Medium and Heavy builds just aren't viable

Even with the heaviest armour I have at the moment I still get one shot by the bosses and half the mooks. Would be nice to have a continuum rather than a dead end

Like I get that it's a hard as nails game, but gently caress me , some onboarding would be nice

I just have very little idea what my build is doing at any time.

Improving your "Heart" increases your health by 30 points. The enemies are easily cranking out 300-1000 damage per hit; 30hp ain't doing much for me

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I remember getting to the last areas of Darkest Dungeon, and when I fled the survivors wouldn’t go back in because of the Never Again mechanic. I guess they wanted me to grind new ones, but I just quit immediately and played something else.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

I remember getting to the last areas of Darkest Dungeon, and when I fled the survivors wouldn’t go back in because of the Never Again mechanic. I guess they wanted me to grind new ones, but I just quit immediately and played something else.

I can forgive a lot of the crap Darkest Dungeon has, but Never Again is just beyond stupid.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

Oh my god wtf. I have heard of how much work it takes to grind up characters good enough to attempt those tough areas. That's so bad.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Spent more time than is really responsible setting up a nice little bush trip on Microsoft Flight Simulator today.

Get all my poo poo done, it's gone 11pm so I open the game up, need to get moving if I want to start it today.

Mandatory seven loving gigabyte update. MSFS updates using it's own installation manager so it doesn't update itself in the background when the update drops.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoouuuuuuuuuuu

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Dec 23, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sunswipe posted:

That's part of the reason people look back so fondly on the PS2. Apart from the vast library of good games that are still fun today, it was the last time a console let you just put a game in and play it without loving around with patches, system updates and all that poo poo.

People also forget game breaking bugs, translation errors, and other issues that, if encountered, meant you simply sucked it up. Wasn't there a Breath of Fire game that had directions through a desert maze that were flat out wrong?

There was a game on the Nintendo DS (a system without patches) that I reviewed, some Bubble Bobble title. Was fine, as far as that series goes. Except that on level 30 the boss never spawned. Ever. So you couldn't progress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I think active updates are often too much if a crutch to lean on, but it's easy to forget just how bad it could be when things just didn't work right back in the olden days.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

oh dope posted:

FWIW

oh dope posted:

I apparently needed a damage dealer that can hit any position at any time.

Makes it sound like your party/skill composition was shaky from the start, but I might be reading too far into that. :shrug:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Wasn't there a Breath of Fire game that had directions through a desert maze that were flat out wrong?

Breath of Fire 3.

The instructions from the npc were correct, the written down ones swapped east and west.
The entire strategy guide was late beta bull poo poo too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Post poste posted:

Breath of Fire 3.

The instructions from the npc were correct, the written down ones swapped east and west.
The entire strategy guide was late beta bull poo poo too.

I recently replayed BoF3 and while I still love it and think its the best BoF, man its got some issues. Lots of wonky minigames you have to do, weird pacing in places, and some real questionable localization stuff in addition to some stuff just being flat out wrong.

But that fishing minigame is chef’s kiss.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Got Doom Eternal on the PSN sale, and drat, an unskippable Bethesda account screen before you can get into the game? I'm literally never going to touch multiplayer or care about anything that would need an account, please don't make me go through the whole "search my email to figure out if I even have an account, nope, make up yet another username and password I'll never use again" thing for the billionth time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think you can disconnect from PSN or turn off the internet connection in the console settings before turning the game on and that'll skip the Bethesda.net stuff entirely, but I understand that's only half the complaint.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danganronpa on switch when you cowards

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I made one just to get through, but I'd much rather just have a "click to dismiss" option if it's so important to make me aware of Bethesda accounts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will stop at nothing to circumvent "sign up for our service that serves no purpose other than to be a vector for sending you spam emails!" type scams from game devs and publishers. An optional account on a storefront I use frequently? Sure, I'll take the 5% off coupon every 6 months or whatever. An optional account for some random game publisher in one specific video game? Why would I do that. You're not even offering me anything in return like being able to say no and just play the video game if I want??

edit: The first time I encountered this was Dead Space 2, I think. Back in the day you had to have an EA Account to access the multiplayer and DLC campaign even on consoles, but those didn't come to the PC version at all, so the EA Account thing was just a random bit of sproo left over in the port that did nothing and got you nothing but was still required to play the game. Eventually they made it so you can just hit cancel and skip the login but what a scam dude.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Dec 23, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least Ubisoft gives you useless things you’ll never use for it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thing dragging Dead Space 2 down btw, why didn't the Severed campaign come to the PC version??? It already takes place in most of the same areas as the main game and it's not very long!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Controller layouts weren’t super standardized til like 2012ish, but jump being on y is just baffling. It’s been on A for most games for decades, it’s probably the first example of controls being standard from game to game and genre to genre.

In Morrowind jump was mapped to the left trigger for some ungodly reason.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In Skyrim VR jump is mapped to up on the right joystick. It's a very lazy port with some incredibly unintuitive controls in general, like menu cancel being mapped to grip.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In gamebryo fallout jump isn't a major action, though their controls are weird as gently caress (b for menu, hold b for flashlight, seriously?)

With Morrowind they were just making the most common action readily accessible.

Also, for content: the rate this quest prompt after every quest in AC:IV. I don't think I made it more than an hour or two into that game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

How people have the memory for all those combos and moves is beyond me. That's why I cannot be great at those kinds of character action games or fighting games and why stuff like Arkham, AssCreed, Insomniac's Spider-Man, or Ghost of Tsushima have been great because it feels like when playing those there is no ceiling to my skill level and they are more about moment-to-moment ingenuity than long combo strings.
Yeah I'm struggling with that too. The most I can deal with are the Yakuza games which have a simple setup of light chain and heavy finishing attacks, and you can just end your chain with a finisher or two at any time, they all have very distinct animations and it all sticks in my mind (to be fair though this might be aided by having spent like 300 hours with the system across them all :v:). But show me, like, Bayonetta's combo list with arbitrary button chains and specific timings and it's just... total incomprehension.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Thing dragging Dead Space 2 down btw, why didn't the Severed campaign come to the PC version??? It already takes place in most of the same areas as the main game and it's not very long!

Yeah, DS2 was amazing and it still holds up, especially the Ishimura level. I can't really think of a complaint with it though, so i'm just gonna say that everything after planetfall in DS3 was pretty suspect.

Especially the snow necros that jumped you all off two seconds after a specific checkpoint.

And the dumb warm up at fires thing that counted as survival mechanics back then.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

tight aspirations posted:

And the dumb warm up at fires thing that counted as survival mechanics back then.

The dumbest thing about this was that you'd be a-OK as long as Isaac's core body temperature didn't drop below, like, 10C. I know it's a video game about space zombies but it's still ridiculous

CJacobs posted:

I will stop at nothing to circumvent "sign up for our service that serves no purpose other than to be a vector for sending you spam emails!" type scams from game devs and publishers. An optional account on a storefront I use frequently? Sure, I'll take the 5% off coupon every 6 months or whatever. An optional account for some random game publisher in one specific video game? Why would I do that. You're not even offering me anything in return like being able to say no and just play the video game if I want??

I need to clear out my email account mere months after my last purge. I missed a fairly important email the other day because my inbox is so full of "our bonanza Christmas sale!", "you haven't logged in for 1492 days and we haven't got the hint" and "come play cybber nation my lord" type poo poo from stores I used once years ago.
I thought I was fairly good at unticking the Please Spam Me box but notification fatigue sets in fast with a moderate amount of spam. Even the company the fairly important email was from sent me three marketing emails the day before so no wonder I didn't process the one I needed to read.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Darkest Dungeon suffers from a pretty acute case of EA rot, where fanatics play it endlessly and the feedback becomes entirely about how it jeeds to be made harder utterly poo poo.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

StealthArcher posted:

Darkest Dungeon suffers from a pretty acute case of EA rot, where fanatics play it endlessly and the feedback becomes entirely about how it jeeds to be made harder utterly poo poo.

It's definitely $25 I regret spending. I've tried to dive in twice now (spaced out by about six months) and both times I get to the part about micromanaging stress by sending people to various areas of town only some of them aren't allowed in certain places and oops looks like this guy got both the "can only get whipped by prostitutes to relax" modifier and the "banned from the brothel for being a weirdo" modifier, so he's just hosed. Just not literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad that game got a free trial cause I bounced off that poo poo real fast, just an aggressively ugly game, without the gameplay to back it up.