Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is the combat pretty rote? I can enjoy that with a 3d brawler but less so an rpg. I just bounced off of Dragon Quest XI because it was all so boilerplate simple.

The presentation at least is still 100% Yakuza craziness, and there are minor environmental and QTE wrinkles, but the fundamentals are all pretty similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpjDLwTXLuw&t=392s

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for the replies about Death Stranding, everyone. I picked it up and it seems to be running alright.

Need to fiddle with some of the settings because of my potato-card but I'm excited! Didn't think the game would run on my 970!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rage McDougal posted:

Sands of Salzaar generated a bit of buzz earlier in the year as a kind of 2D Dynasty Warriors meets Mount and Blade.
i was like drat this looks cool and then noticed i had marked it ignore and couldnt figure out why. then saw that they had recently added an english translation, so before it must have had that "this game isnt available in your language" warning and i just ignored it automatically. wonder how many other games ive done that with that later get english patches.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Hwurmp posted:

The combat & job systems might frustrate you if you don't care for super basic Dragon Quest-style game mechanics, but I think 7 is just as good as 0.

Sold.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Sounds like a dumbass question, considering the franchise I'm asking about, but I got Civ6 for free on Epic a while ago. Never got around to playing it, as the early reviews were lukewarm at best, but between the purchase price of the base game, the sale and the coupon, the Platinum upgrade (2 expansions + various DLC) sounds like a good deal.

Is the game good (yet)?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tonton Macoute posted:

Sounds like a dumbass question, considering the franchise I'm asking about, but I got Civ6 for free on Epic a while ago. Never got around to playing it, as the early reviews were lukewarm at best, but between the purchase price of the base game, the sale and the coupon, the Platinum upgrade (2 expansions + various DLC) sounds like a good deal.

Is the game good (yet)?

People seem okay with it now just don't expect great AI.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tonton Macoute posted:

Is the game good (yet)?
Depending on your region it might still be cheaper to buy a key for the whole bundle for Steam: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/sidmeierscivilizationviplatinumedition/info/ a lot of those stores have coupon codes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was complaining about earlier. There’s usually “something” of a gimmick going on. It may be poo poo, but it’s something on top of mediocre sale prices. Even the points thing the past 1-2 years that lets you unlock a coupon was a nice addition, even if you could only use it once. This sale, just a birby sticker. As you get older like me, those small things are missed more and more as the poo poo of the world keeps piling up on top of you.
I agree, even the increasingly lamer stuff was still more interesting than nothing.

I still wistfully miss the Coal era though, it was so drat fun and cozy :3: and I really liked that they worked with indie devs putting in little snowman and santa hats and secret wintery-achievements. Suprised, but not surprised, nothing like that has happened again. I'm sure there'd be enough devs willing to participate. Big problem was the Humble Bundle at the time (back when they were really good) could be bought for like 10 cents.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

did people actually interact with those sale gimmicks? I've never given half of a poo poo about any of the cruft on the sales, I just buy things, and the fact that prices don't change through the event via flash sales or whatever means you don't have to wait for the last day to buy anything and keep constantly checking the store. the sales would be better than before if the prices hadn't gotten worse.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Quantum Conundrum:

*8RP8-F*88G-64WG3

* = The first letter of the English title of the Ryū ga Gotoku series.

Tonton Macoute posted:

Is the game good (yet)?

Civilization VI vanilla is arguably the worst in the series. With the expansions it's arguably the best. However, the A.I. is still painfully poor. It ranges from stupid to just plain...boring.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 23, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ZechaTactics/status/1341794770025205760

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xaris posted:

I agree, even the increasingly lamer stuff was still more interesting than nothing.

I still wistfully miss the Coal era though, it was so drat fun and cozy :3: and I really liked that they worked with indie devs putting in little snowman and santa hats and secret wintery-achievements. Suprised, but not surprised, nothing like that has happened again. I'm sure there'd be enough devs willing to participate. Big problem was the Humble Bundle at the time (back when they were really good) could be bought for like 10 cents.

I won a bunch of games from that Winter sale way back when. It was how I got Skyrim among other things.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Xaris posted:

The last decent gimmick was the Steam Grand Prix and it was such a debacle that I doubt we'll get anything that high concept ever again.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I know that if I bulldoze/reinstall Windows (it's in it's own partition), I can just install Steam, then point it at the folder where my games are and have it pick everything up, but... what about EGS/MS Pass games? Particularly concerned about MS since it does that weird poo poo where it locks the folder it installs to, I don't want to end up with an undeletable folder because it doesn't recognise the user hash or something.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I miss the gimmicks, also. They were usually good fun.

It's not as easy to get cards this year, either.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Death Stranding is just what I needed. It's like going for a walk in the park. An oddly meditative game where unseen strangers help you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm phone posting so can't easily provide links, but on the topic of sleeper hits, I've really enjoyed what I've played of Chrono Ark, which is a roguelike deck builder RPG. I'm not the best at deck builders so maybe there's a major mechanical flaw that I can't see, but it's a combination of stuff that just works, and each character in the party feels meaningfully different.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anything positive come from Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning?

Launch had a bunch of people comment it was a cheap update with an expanded camera and literally nothing else, including game breaking bugs that were in the original.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Edmond Dantes posted:

I know that if I bulldoze/reinstall Windows (it's in it's own partition), I can just install Steam, then point it at the folder where my games are and have it pick everything up, but... what about EGS/MS Pass games? Particularly concerned about MS since it does that weird poo poo where it locks the folder it installs to, I don't want to end up with an undeletable folder because it doesn't recognise the user hash or something.

I dont know about EGS, i think you have to reinstall it because it doesnt have a nice and easy "verify files + point to a new library location", it was locked to just one location last I tried. MS Pass can let you do multiple library locations (on a per drive basis anyways) but it absolutely locks that poo poo down hard making it an utter pain in the rear end to delete all the very very vague and vaguely malware-ish named folder locations (located at root no less!) and you will have to just reinstall.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m deeply upset that we don’t get a new bird sticker today what kinda loving bullshit is Valve trying to pull???

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

did people actually interact with those sale gimmicks? I've never given half of a poo poo about any of the cruft on the sales, I just buy things, and the fact that prices don't change through the event via flash sales or whatever means you don't have to wait for the last day to buy anything and keep constantly checking the store. the sales would be better than before if the prices hadn't gotten worse.

Agreed, I've never once interacted with any of the sale gimmicks either.

I've been accused of hating fun though, I don't even do the seasonal things in like MMO's or DOTA. Have played Diretide since it was like first implemented.

Gimme cheap games and go away 🤷‍♂️

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xaris posted:

I dont know about EGS, i think you have to reinstall it because it doesnt have a nice and easy "verify files + point to a new library location", it was locked to just one location last I tried. MS Pass can let you do multiple library locations (on a per drive basis anyways) but it absolutely locks that poo poo down hard making it an utter pain in the rear end to delete all the very very vague and vaguely malware-ish named folder locations (located at root no less!) and you will have to just reinstall.

So, uninstall everything MS-Pass related before bulldozing. Got it.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Into the Breach is unfairly good.

It is the first tactics game that I have played that places support maneuvers (shields, repositioning) on the same plane of utility as attacking.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, uninstall everything MS-Pass related before bulldozing. Got it.

yeah i think you can probably do some command-line chprops or something to override ownership and delete them, but it definitely does not make it easy and doesn't let you even view them by default even with admin iac override. it's not impossible of course and if you're doing a complete reformat then fine, but yeah i would delete them just to be safe. iirc the folder it creates are /windowsapps/ and /wpsystem/, actually i guess it can also be program files/windowsapps/

also the way it installs game structure is really loving annoying and makes it really hard to link with Steam non-steam games feature.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Any thoughts on Quern? Looks like a solid Myst-like, and it's currently 75% off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nephthys posted:

You can adjust it in the menu whenever you want. The difficulty isn't nearly that bad anymore. I had to increase the difficulty even. Anything you fight that seems super hard can be fought later if you level up and come back.

The only exception is an early cave where you fight a swarm for a timed sidequest. Swarms only take 1 pt of damage unless you use aoe's so that cave tends to mess unprepared people up. Bring alchemist fire and its fine.

You don't even need to fight any swarms to complete the quest any more, they're optional in the back half of the caves and you can come back to be killed by them later.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

I miss the gimmicks, also. They were usually good fun.

It's not as easy to get cards this year, either.

My favourite was the summer camp one, where you could trade tickets for in-game dlc.

The clicker game ones were also fun.

I guess the closest we have is the spring cleaning sale now?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m deeply upset that we don’t get a new bird sticker today what kinda loving bullshit is Valve trying to pull???

You have to wait 48h per pull. Yes, they are so valuable Valve can only give one every two days. Powerful birds.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Are the Anno 1800 season passes worth it? I've clocked in 5 hours since release and need some zen time.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Been playing bloodroots for some time and while the game is fun, it is so absurdly difficult, i have to play something easier like, inno, dark souls to wash off the obscenities.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cave emperor posted:

Any thoughts on Quern? Looks like a solid Myst-like, and it's currently 75% off.

If you like Myst, you'll enjoy it. Pretty dry, very puzzly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Death Stranding is just what I needed. It's like going for a walk in the park. An oddly meditative game where unseen strangers help you.

yeah the invisible multiplayer aspect is really cool and never felt like it was making things too easy. I know someone upthread mentioned they turned it off, but I'd implore them to reenable it because it makes sense thematically and trying to build highway networks on your own would be stupidly tedious. its a great podcast game I 100%'d, which is something I hardly ever do nowadays.

My only gripes with it are that Kojima could have dialed down the crazy a few notches, because eventually you get fatigue and things don't hit as hard as they would have. And that the boss fights are very unreasonably hard on the hardest difficulty. They become tedious slugfests. Do yourself a favor and dial down the difficulty to normal when you get to a boss fight, or better yet, play games on regular and dont be a tryhard like myself :V

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

cave emperor posted:

I liked it a lot. It's very much a homage to Myst but doing its own thing. Lots of cool interactive puzzles and figuring stuff out through experimentation. It does not hold your hand in that regard.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

buglord posted:

yeah the invisible multiplayer aspect is really cool and never felt like it was making things too easy. I know someone upthread mentioned they turned it off, but I'd implore them to reenable it because it makes sense thematically and trying to build highway networks on your own would be stupidly tedious. its a great podcast game I 100%'d, which is something I hardly ever do nowadays.

Plus you have to make the first journey on foot with only your own structures and supplies, and then once you reach out there are people to help you almost as if that's the entire thematic point of the game lmao

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Death Stranding is about the friends you made along the way

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is Okami HD worth a play? I like the doggo and the art, but I hear it drags at many points and is too long, plus 30fps cap is rough.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hub Cat posted:

Death Stranding is about the friends you made along the way

and also about the really weird emoji infested emails you get from people 💦

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

buglord posted:

its a great podcast game

If this means what I think it means, in that the game has long stretches of low engagement where you can focus your attention elsewhere while still 'playing'... that's really not a glowing endorsement, you know!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

If this means what I think it means, in that the game has long stretches of low engagement where you can focus your attention elsewhere while still 'playing'... that's really not a glowing endorsement, you know!

You know, people like to chill when playing video games, sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Unlucky7 posted:

You know, people like to chill when playing video games, sometimes?

I like to chill and do stuff too man. Video games, books, movies, tv, whatever. But if someone ever recommended me a book or movie that's good for reading/watching while also listening to a podcast... yea.