Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Serephina posted:

I like to chill and do stuff too man. Video games, books, movies, tv, whatever. But if someone ever recommended me a book or movie that's good for reading/watching while also listening to a podcast... yea.

Whoa it's almost like video games are a different medium than those other mediums and people play games for lots of different reasons/moods/vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Serephina posted:

If this means what I think it means, in that the game has long stretches of low engagement where you can focus your attention elsewhere while still 'playing'... that's really not a glowing endorsement, you know!

I understand the negative connotation. There’s the usual amount of videogame thinking involved, not all too different than any 3rd person action game. The difference is that, given the solitary nature of the game, there’s long periods of gameplay where you aren’t listening to/reading dialogue. So why not catch up on an audiobook or podcast while traveling around UCA, much the same way UPS/FedEx guys deliver house to house with their AirPods on?

e: hearts of iron IV is probably the most technical game I’ve ever played with a massive amount of information on screen to digest at once, but it is absolutely my go-to podcasting game because the nature of the game means that listening is freed up.

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 24, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Alright alright I get it. I have a friend who's perpetually on the same 'Idle' game years on end, and another who absolutely loves pay-to-win mobile Tower Defense games. I think they both have awful taste but don't begrudge them their hobby, so perhaps Death Stranding is not a game I'd enjoy and I'll consider myself warned.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Should I add anything?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I add anything?

Nier Automata maybe, if dark sci-fi is your thing.

It doesn't go on sale very often.

Speaking of dark sci-fi...Control? Is the combat bad or is it just a learning curve starting out? I don't want to turn on immortality and 1 shot kills or anything yet, but I just got the hotline and that first boss was basically 1-shot killing me and there was nothing to do but hide and peak out while plinking away at his health. I wouldn't mind trying to be risky to figure out his weaknesses but every death deducts money and the load time is ridiculous on my computer for some reason. Dying frequently at one part would be enough to make me put the game down for good until I get a faster computer.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Serephina posted:

Alright alright I get it. I have a friend who's perpetually on the same 'Idle' game years on end, and another who absolutely loves pay-to-win mobile Tower Defense games. I think they both have awful taste but don't begrudge them their hobby, so perhaps Death Stranding is not a game I'd enjoy and I'll consider myself warned.

It’s a weird game. I personally loved Death Stranding enough to 100% it, but it’s very hard to pitch to people because it’s really different. Do you like Kojima games? Do you mind if the game takes 6 hours to really get off the ground? Are you okay if maybe 20% of your time is only spent on combat? Does the thought of building road networks and bridges excite you? Can you tolerate ridiculous storytelling with hamfisted themes?

By the time you ask all those questions, the crowd is probably down to a few weirdos willing to give it a shot.
I don’t know where I was going with this post, but yeah. Life is too short to play games people tell you to play. Play what seems fun.

re: Neir Automata: it needs the fan patch to play on PC. the devs released the game and just kinda...left it there despite some glaring issues. I found that pretty unacceptable and yet another reason why I dont trust Square Enix for post-launch support. just a heads up, since the unmodded game feels technically broken.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 24, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

Well, if you thought that was hard to wrap your head around already, just wait until you hear about this thing called "knitting" and how it's actually a really popular hobby. It might just give you an actual aneurysm.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Control's bosses are consistently harder than the rest of the game and the first boss can be more of a struggle because you haven't unlocked most of your powers yet. The easy way is to be patient and keep moving then chip him down between attacks because you probably don't have enough energy to overwhelm his dodge yet.

So yeah it gets better and the bosses are mostly optional so you can take them when you have better mods and all your abilities.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 24, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sininu posted:

Is Okami HD worth a play? I like the doggo and the art, but I hear it drags at many points and is too long, plus 30fps cap is rough.

It's a 30-40 hour game. If you like what's there you'll get a lot of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Control's bosses are consistently harder than the rest of the game and the first boss can be more of a struggle because you haven't unlocked most of your powers yet. The easy way is to be patient and keep moving then chip him down between attacks because you probably don't have enough energy to overwhelm his dodge yet.

So yeah it gets better most of the other bosses aren't as bad or are optional so you can take them when you have better mods and all your abilities.

Is the game like most metroidvanias where you don't really want to start trying to explore everywhere until you get a certain amount of mobility/access abilities?

Jedi Fallen Order was very similar in that until you unlocked the 2nd major movement skill to not worry too much about exploration.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
okami would be a perfect game if not for the unskippable intro and issun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Okami is a very good game and pretty much the only part of it that everyone can agree was kinda bad is the final area which is basically just a boss rush dressed up as an endgame dungeon that makes you do every boss fight in the game back-to-back just so you can get at the actual final boss. No one really knows what the gently caress they were thinking there.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

pentyne posted:

Is the game like most metroidvanias where you don't really want to start trying to explore everywhere until you get a certain amount of mobility/access abilities?

Jedi Fallen Order was very similar in that until you unlocked the 2nd major movement skill to not worry too much about exploration.

For me it felt more like the devs just never quite managed to make all the disparate combat systems click. Like on one hand it's intentionally chaotic, with enemies swarming everywhere and stuff flying at you from random directions... but it also has Max Payne 3's health system, where 1-2 bad hits could gank you from full health. Not everyone had trouble with it, but I personally found it frustrating enough that around the 75% mark I turned on the invincibility mode devs eventually patched in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serephina posted:

If this means what I think it means, in that the game has long stretches of low engagement where you can focus your attention elsewhere while still 'playing'... that's really not a glowing endorsement, you know!

It’s ground based Euro Truck Sim. Half the fun is taking in the environment while listening to music. The game even has a substantial number of sections where the camera pulls out and you just walk while listening to music. It’s a constant amount of moderate engagement, like driving a car.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sounds rad

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I had Okami on my list forever and finally bought it on the switch earlier this year and honestly found it to be kind of annoying. I gave it a few goes but never got into it. I was surprised that it didn't do it for me.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

pentyne posted:

Nah Control isn't really much of a Metroidvania more like a linear action game with some slight branching for optional stuff. The missable secret areas just give you currency/mods, lore and some skill points
The main thing is that basic abilities like block and dodge unlock from sidequests after Tomassi and the combat is always a bit swingy because Jesse doesn't have a ton of health.

The game expects you to keep moving and be aggressive to dodge damage and keep your health up which can be difficult to manage or goes contrary to some peoples play style. The bosses are hard because the ability to refill your small healthpool is tied to killing enemies which is a problem in single combat.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 24, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

The game expects you to keep moving and be aggressive to dodge damage and keep your health up which can be difficult to manage or goes contrary to some peoples play style.
Ironically enough, the fight is probably one of the easiest bosses in the game just as long as you do play it the way it the way the game wants you to, which is like you just got handed superpowers and a gun with infinite ammo not even thirty minutes into the game and are planning to abuse them for all they're worth. The fairly simple trick to that fight is that the boss can really only dodge one thing at a time, so if you shoot him a bunch and then just throw an office chair in his face right after he comes out of his little air dodge? It's pretty much a guaranteed hit, he just has no real response to that, and by the time he comes out of his ouchie animation, your gun will have grown some more bullets to keep shooting him with.

Most people who have a lot of difficulty with that fight tend to treat it like it's another third-person cover shooter where every bullet counts and hiding somewhere while you wait for your opening is what you're supposed to be doing. The entire boss fight is pretty much designed to punish that as much as possible, such as by giving the boss a lot of slow-moving explosive projectiles that are easily dodged, but which will still hurt you even if don't get hit by them directly.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

pentyne posted:

Speaking of dark sci-fi...Control? Is the combat bad or is it just a learning curve starting out? I don't want to turn on immortality and 1 shot kills or anything yet, but I just got the hotline and that first boss was basically 1-shot killing me and there was nothing to do but hide and peak out while plinking away at his health. I wouldn't mind trying to be risky to figure out his weaknesses but every death deducts money and the load time is ridiculous on my computer for some reason. Dying frequently at one part would be enough to make me put the game down for good until I get a faster computer.

Bosses are super loving hard. Since after I beat the game and watched some other people play throwing stuff is apparently very powerful. I did not throw enough stuff, so try throwing more stuff.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

pentyne posted:

Anything positive come from Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning?

Launch had a bunch of people comment it was a cheap update with an expanded camera and literally nothing else, including game breaking bugs that were in the original.

So the camera improvements are more than just an FOV slider. You can now zoom it in and out, and you can increase the height of the camera’s focus so you’re not staring straight into your character’s back the entire game.

Also, level zoning has been unlocked. In the original game, the first time you wandered into a zone, everything in it was locked to as close to your level as the zone will allow, forever. Go exploring early? Congrats, the entire game is gimped forever, whoops. That’s gone now. Each zone has a set level scaling range (zone 1: levels 1-2, zone 2: levels 2-5, zone 10: levels 20-25, etc) and will always scale closest to your level. It’s a good compromise between exploration freedom and mechanical advancement I think.

Also, there have been quite a few post launch patches that address a bunch of the OG game’s general bugs and quest bugs.

Also I want to say there’s been a bunch of other QoL fixes but I’m not sure what they are at the moment.

Basically if you can get the game on a deep sale it’s worth it to play around in. It’s a fun 3rd person RPG that won’t knock your socks off, but it is a good fun “hit town, fill up on quests, circle around the zone ticking off quest to-do boxes, return to town for loot” kinda game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 24, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

eh this felt ruder than I intended

Edit: But yes throw more stuff

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 24, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TheMopeSquad posted:

Bosses are super loving hard. Since after I beat the game and watched some other people play throwing stuff is apparently very powerful. I did not throw enough stuff, so try throwing more stuff.

Some people found control hard and some people found it easy. I played with a gamepad and it was pretty drat hard. I finished it but didn't kill two optional bosses. I have all the dlc so I'll get around to that soon.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Yeah I played on PS4 cuz I didn't want to wait and did all the bosses (not the DLC though) it was all pretty rough but not so much that I felt it was impossible more like Dark Souls "git gud" type hard.

I've seriously considered getting it again on steam since it's pretty cheap and starting a new game, it's just that good.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Xaris posted:

yeah DW2 is good, but I mostly felt like it was just... too much y'know. i liked the more simplistic sort of trap-carnage puzzle game that the first one had a little more.

cool haevnt heard of most of those besides Mindustry which im sort of waiting on.

Hey, Mindustry finally came out with the update you probably were waiting on. The one that lets player produced units upgrade into bosses and such. I am still trying to untangle my first attempt at a combined ground/air tier 3 factory. Losing track of which mass driver went to which was probably a bad idea.

The multiplayer is mostly fun for looking at whatever crazy stuff the other folks have slapped together to produce silicon or whatever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The one big problem Re-Reckoning has is that the one thing they didn't fix are the original game's problems with trying to run it on modern hardware. The game somehow manages to run like absolute poo poo even though they didn't really do anything to make it look all that much better. I mean, we're not talking about a Demon's Souls-style from-the-ground-up remake in an entirely new engine here here, or even just a serious remaster that spiffs up the texture resolutions and hacks in stuff like current shaders and volumetric lighting or whatever. The game looks pretty much exactly like it did the day it was released.

Somehow, though, the Re-Reckoning version runs worse on my modern system than the old version did on outdated ~2010-era hardware even back when it was originally released. I have absolutely no explanation for how a game that looks like Amalur does would still regularly drop to sub-30FPS even when it's running on a 1070TI that outperforms even the highest-end graphics cards of 2012 by at least double.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The Control boss I found to be the hardest by far was the one you have to look up at to attack while he punches holes in the floor you're on because I kept falling in the holes like an idiot. Though I don't think I ever realized that you can grab some of his projectiles with your Throw Stuff power and throw them back at him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Yakuza 7 is really loving good so far.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Pretty sure 90% of my deaths in Control were from falling to death like a dumb poo poo including on that boss and The Anchor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well the deaths and the 2 min load times aren't an issue since all I have to do is tab out and then back in and it loads up almost instantly.

This is not the first game I've had where I get super longer load screens that clear the second I alt tab out then back in.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Control is a hard game for sure, but the cool people at Remedy have added an assist mode that allows you to tweak any number of things to adjust the difficulty to your liking.I wish I hadn't beaten it already to test it out, it would've pushed it up from my goty to...hm

AssCreed Oranges and Celeste also have similar things and tweaking numbers objectively made both games much better for me than what a general difficulty slider could've achieved. I hope it becomes industry standard one day (yes i know it won't)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cave emperor posted:

Any thoughts on Quern? Looks like a solid Myst-like, and it's currently 75% off.

It has a loving sliding tile puzzle.

The game is okay, but it doesn't do the Myst thing where the puzzles tell a part of the story.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a summary of my first ~hour of subnautica: oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nephthys posted:

You can adjust it in the menu whenever you want. The difficulty isn't nearly that bad anymore. I had to increase the difficulty even. Anything you fight that seems super hard can be fought later if you level up and come back.

The only exception is an early cave where you fight a swarm for a timed sidequest. Swarms only take 1 pt of damage unless you use aoe's so that cave tends to mess unprepared people up. Bring alchemist fire and its fine.

Pathfinder recently got a superb turn based mode patched in, it's currently the best game for real time/tb play. You can steamroller easy fights and slow it down for the hard ones.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

cave emperor posted:

Any thoughts on Quern? Looks like a solid Myst-like, and it's currently 75% off.

Ehhhh. The puzzles are okay I guess, but the biggest problem I had with it is that it's a 100% linear game that tries its hardest to pretend it isn't. You can explore the island and find different puzzles, but the game is constructed in such a way that only one is ever solvable at any given time. You have to solve puzzle A first, because it gives you an item to finish puzzle B, which you have to do next because opens puzzle C, and then you have to do that because it gives you an item to open puzzle D... and so on. So if you get stuck, you're stuck--you can't go off to a different part of the island and try a different puzzle. It's not terrible as a pure puzzle game, but Myst it ain't.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sininu posted:

Is Okami HD worth a play? I like the doggo and the art, but I hear it drags at many points and is too long, plus 30fps cap is rough.

it's good

pentyne posted:

it's bad

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I absolutely love Death Stranding so far.

If you like planning and logistics and engaging traversal mechanics while also experiencing the impact of other player's structures meant to help everyone out which contributes to the game's main themes... Oh man.

What. A. Game.

It is my favorite delivery game. I liked Euro Truck Simulator 2, but Death Stranding was made for me. I do everything I can to deliver those packages and satisfy my customers. Oh and rebuild America in the process. Also not get killed by spooky ghosts.
-
Okami HD is still the game I remembered from when I played it first on PS2. Another great game. The only "Zelda" I've ever beaten.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
So I've recently finished Return of the Obra Dinn with the gf and had a blast. Any other good mystery solving games? I already finished Outer Wilds myself.

Steam seems to recommend Dagonronpa, is that any good/similar?

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome! posted:

a summary of my first ~hour of subnautica: oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen eat fourteen fish to keep hydrated oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen oxygen

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

klaphark posted:

So I've recently finished Return of the Obra Dinn with the gf and had a blast. Any other good mystery solving games? I already finished Outer Wilds myself.

Anime mystery solver that some peeps enjoy. Visual novelish delivery. Also...

Murder by Numbers. Paradise Killer. Zero Escape: The Nonary Games. Phoenix Wright. Heavy Rain (David Cage warning). L.A. Noire. Her Story. Contradiction.

Obra Dinn, mechanically, is very unique. Or at least, I can't seem to recall anything that plays similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

klaphark posted:

There's nothing out there quite like Obra Dinn, unfortunately. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is some good mystery solvin'. Unheard is a fairly unique mystery game where you solve crimes by listening to an audio log, but you can only hear one room at a time and you don't know who anyone is at first so you have to keep switching rooms and replaying the log.