Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dipset did 9/11 would be a good username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
is there an iceberg for forums, for posting,,, ?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Smythe posted:

is there an iceberg for forums, for posting,,, ?

wouldnt you like to know

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Poniard posted:

wouldnt you like to know

thats why i asked

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

surprised you dont already know tbh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think its that closed subforum on here where a pedophile was grooming another poster

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Are there even "New Atheists" anymore?

I feel like anyone even vaguely associated with them have moved on to actual ideologies whether they are right or left wing.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cnidaria posted:

Are there even "New Atheists" anymore?

I feel like anyone even vaguely associated with them have moved on to actual ideologies whether they are right or left wing.

first as tragedy, then as farce

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I support getting so mad at money lenders you take the time to craft a whip to whip the poo poo out of them

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/animorphingtime/status/1341622629808029697

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he wasn’t mad at money lenders, he was mad that people were doing non-religious things in the temple

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I support getting so mad at money lenders you take the time to craft a whip to whip the poo poo out of them

get into that mihaly csikszentmihalyi flow state of righteous fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNwnRUwnsA

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

he wasn’t mad at money lenders, he was mad that people were doing non-religious things in the temple

specifically conducting business in there yeah

a point which is lost with all those megachurches that have coffee shops in their lobbies

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

are you allowed to mentally undress the priest though? assuming that you’re still listening to the sermon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jay Rust posted:

are you allowed to mentally undress the priest though? assuming that you’re still listening to the sermon

not if you get paid for it

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I thought it was money-changers, as in the temple only accepted donations in an obsolete currency that no-one used (day to day transactions being conducted in Roman coins) and took kickbacks from the people who would sell you those coins.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

quote:

And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade".

quote:

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves

it had nothing to do with any specific trade, rather conducting commerce at all as HPH said

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

what was in his brain pan before the edit?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No matter what the reason though, I'm gonna picture Jesus whistling while braiding up that whip

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

indigi posted:

it had nothing to do with any specific trade, rather conducting commerce at all as HPH said

The pigeons are for sacrifice. And probably marked up, and you can't bring your own because they won't be "free from defect".

My parish priest, who was actually cool and good, had a big talk to us (I attended a Catholic school integrated into the state school system, very common in my country) when american-style megachurches were starting to come here about the dangers of mixing commerce and religion. He actually talked about south American revolutionary theology tho it sailed over my head at the time. Like I said, he was cool and good and the only priest I listened to.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Brawnfire posted:

No matter what the reason though, I'm gonna picture Jesus whistling while braiding up that whip

It just blows my mind how most Christians just breeze past the parts about charity and forgiveness, and how it is almost impossible to be both rich and a good person.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1341958379195887616

exmachina posted:

It just blows my mind how most Christians just breeze past the parts about charity and forgiveness, and how it is almost impossible to be both rich and a good person.

It's much easier to understand when you realise people are insanely selfish and lust to see others suffer. Religion is a cudgel for their desires not an ethos to live by.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the priest who taught me Latin in high school would end every class on Friday by telling us not to mix drugs and alcohol and make sure to use condoms. I’m pretty sure he should have been censured

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Interview with Michael Hudson. Critical discussion of 'finance capitalism'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSdcz-tin0Y

Quick excerpt:

quote:

[Interviewer]In other words, what's a Centrist?

[Hudson]A centrist is somebody who looks at all problems as being marginal, not structural. So you can only have a little change.

So a centrist is a right-wing, neoliberal supporter of the financial sector. And, implicitly, anti-labor and anti-industry.

A Centrist is someone who doesn't want any change in the system and just goes with the status quo because they can't imagine that the real--every economy tends to polarize. Naturally. Between wealthy people at the top and, uh, impoverishing the 99% of people at the bottom. And a Centrist doesn't realize that.

A Centrist tends to think that economies tend to move toward equality and equilibrium, but economies tend to move toward disequilibrium and polarization and then there's a crash. Polarization then crash. But the Centrist says to not do anything at all. So essentially you should just stand aside and let Obama and Biden and the rest stand by while the financial sector monopolizes the economy and impoverishes it.

Haha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

exmachina posted:

who cares about ideology or theology, im on the good team

THS
Sep 15, 2017

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Carthag Tuek posted:

who cares about ideology or theology, im on the good team

It's this ops. it literally does not matter in the slightest if it really happened, if it was meant as a political thing in the way we know today or not, even if we understood the *religious* significance at the times the bible was written in (approx 69 BC -2020 AD), if jesus existed at all. There's big-J Jesus that lives in a shocking amount of people believe in, like that old Latuff. Except that his "real" jesus is just as much a translation of a translation of a story. Any real sense of "understanding" these texts centuries after they were written is ridiculous. There's been dozens of The Bibles throughout the years, and each of them meant exactly what they needed to mean at the time based on who got to interpret them.

the bible? yeah, that's a Society

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

honestly fine, so long as the cab's safe, we're building to good standards, and I can choose to gently caress off and smoke weed all day every once in a while.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

jesus seems like a cool guy, and to his credit no one ever accused him of weird sex crimes - so for a cult that already puts him on top

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

THS posted:

jesus seems like a cool guy, and to his credit no one ever accused him of weird sex crimes - so for a cult that already puts him on top

jesus definitely hosed his mother mary

just leveling the playing field

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

jesus definitely hosed his mother mary

just leveling the playing field

:popeye:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

indigi posted:

the priest who taught me Latin in high school would end every class on Friday by telling us not to mix drugs and alcohol and make sure to use condoms. I’m pretty sure he should have been censured

If you are not in a majority Catholic country there is really very little top-down control. I understand it is quite different in East coast America, but at least in my little country unless a parent complains, nobody will ever know.

This is also how all those pedos were able to be hidden by bishops who wanted to sweep scandal under the rug, because censuring an ordained priest does attract attention from higher up.

exmachina has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Dec 24, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ACTPolicing/status/1341964336806432768

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I would love for them to try

even without tactical gear they're too fat

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

idk I’ve got a pretty good fire going in that fucker.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DWicKyB5H8&t=540s

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

self roasting pig, what wonders science has wrought

THS
Sep 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpT5SBg1Mmk

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005