Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Crabsnake Biology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVVV8ifZdg8

CrazyCephalopoda just finished her LP of Subnautica and said she would do a breakdown of a few of the creatures on Planet 4546B.
This is the first.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Suburban Dad posted:

So far I've been playing without really doing anything combat related and running away when attacked basically. I built the stasis gun but have never fired it, and didn't do the upgrade to the propulsion one yet. Is there much point in trying to kill poo poo or is the goal really only to defend yourself enough to get away?

Inventory is too small so I'm freeing up space so I can hoard more poo poo during runs more so than avoiding it.

Just escape, never a point to killing something.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Section Z posted:

Heads up about this, don't bother shocking a reaper BEFORE they bite you (at least in the base game). They often just power through it to follow their "It is time to bite them" routine, just like a slug flying directly into a prawn drill in a spray of blood following it's directive to latch onto your cockpit glass.

Wait to zap them as SOON as they bite you, and you will take next to no damage instead of awkwardly being chewed on while waiting for shock to cooldown. Like night and day.

Also, unless they patched this since I last played. The repulsion gun also works on reapers. Only a tiny bit, and you get pushed back too. But if you didn't have the stasis gun it can be what makes the difference in shooing them away from your seamoth parked in a cave they want to eat. "No, bad reaper. Back inside the mountain geometry from whence you came."

A fully-charged blast from the Seamoth perimeter defense system will make a Reaper drop the Seamoth, a second will generally persuade it to gently caress off for a bit. It definitely won't stop one on the charge, though.

I still want to try out that mod that adds the Prawn-scale repulsor cannon into the game. I mean, the Prawn prop arm will let you use gasopods as an improvised projectile so..

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

I mean, the Prawn prop arm will let you use gasopods as an improvised projectile so..

Have you heard about project fishhattan, by the way?

You can launch other things. like breeding and growing crashfish to use as underwater torpedos

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

uPen posted:

Just escape, never a point to killing something.

My first play through I never made or used a stasis rifle nor a propulsion gun (other than moving debris in the Aurora) and playing it later using those things as defensive and offensive weaponry I feel cheapened one of the better aspects of the game: the persistent feeling of growth and accomplishment with a background of never, ever, being at the top area of the food chain.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Have you heard about project fishhattan, by the way?

You can launch other things. like breeding and growing crashfish to use as underwater torpedos

What would be wonderful if you could train the crashfish to home in on a target.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

So far I've been playing without really doing anything combat related and running away when attacked basically. I built the stasis gun but have never fired it, and didn't do the upgrade to the propulsion one yet. Is there much point in trying to kill poo poo or is the goal really only to defend yourself enough to get away?

Inventory is too small so I'm freeing up space so I can hoard more poo poo during runs more so than avoiding it.
The top reason you ever want to kill poo poo is-

1: When you just need 1-2 minutes of quiet to place or access something, but the AI won't take the hint from your non-lethal options making them look like chumps.

2: killing slugs is less jank prone than trying to non-lethal them off of your rides.

3: A biter no-clipped into your aquarium and ate everything in it, and you want to refill your aquarium.

Or other "Wait, really?" where you are killing something with a weary sigh rather than any feelings of bloodlust or survival

Honestly the absolute biggest desire to kill something you can have in this game is when it is useless to kill them. The unfortunate times a Warper realizes it can cheat death, and will repeatedly reappear next to you to eject you from your prawn over lava within seconds of repulsing them into the horizon, stasis into stab frenzy, or unloading your entire collection of crash fish in their face. Instead of the usual ":fuckoff: that's dealt with for now"

Having those things hound you indoors is fairly irritating, thankfully I've only had them do that once. Normally they work as intended but when you are unlucky enough to have them not, yeesh.

When things are running as advertised, I adore the repulsion gun over the stasis and my knife is only for cooking edible snack fish and getting seeds :byewhore:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 24, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I loved the first game so much, it was amazing. How's Below Zero going? I don't want to play it before it's ready, how far along is it? And will it be more expensive later?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

redreader posted:

Hi. I loved the first game so much, it was amazing. How's Below Zero going? I don't want to play it before it's ready, how far along is it? And will it be more expensive later?

Its staying unfinished until release.
Its in good condition now and is pretty fun.
Though personally I like Subnautica more, I still enjoy it.
If you haven't bought it yet, It goes up in price on Jan 5th I think.

e: check this link, I can't tell because I have Below Zero on Steam but Subnautica from the EGS freebie.
But you might get a slight discount if you have Subnautica already on Steam.
Maybe only like $2 off with the bundle discount.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10076/Deep_Ocean_Bundle/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 24, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hello, new IK, I'm dropping into a bunch of random threads and asking if people want new thread titles. Do you guys? Any suggestions? Maybe one that reflects both Subnautica and Below Zero?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Mall Santa Metis posted:

Hello, new IK, I'm dropping into a bunch of random threads and asking if people want new thread titles. Do you guys? Any suggestions? Maybe one that reflects both Subnautica and Below Zero?

Maybe something to indicate the price hike on Jan. 5th? If it could save a couple of people who were interested in it a few bucks, it'd be a win for a temporary new thread title.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That's a good idea! I'll do that for now, and then you guys can throw around some ideas for after that date.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

how much is the price going up? Anybody know?

Thanks for the other replies.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

quote:

With the release on the horizon, we will be increasing the price of Below Zero to $29.99 (USD) across all PC storefronts (Steam, Epic, Discord, Humble) on January 5th, 2021.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

OgNar posted:

Its staying unfinished until release.
Its in good condition now and is pretty fun.
Though personally I like Subnautica more, I still enjoy it.
If you haven't bought it yet, It goes up in price on Jan 5th I think.

e: check this link, I can't tell because I have Below Zero on Steam but Subnautica from the EGS freebie.
But you might get a slight discount if you have Subnautica already on Steam.
Maybe only like $2 off with the bundle discount.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10076/Deep_Ocean_Bundle/

So is most of the content done? Size-wise, all the biomes are in and you can explore and build cool-looking bases? I just picked up said bundle but am waffling on whether to jump in now or wait.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s plenty of exploration to be done. The map doesn’t go as deep as the first one, but it feels like there’s a lot less open ocean type area; it’s a lot more twisty caves and crevices, and other assorted places where things are interesting.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

So is most of the content done? Size-wise, all the biomes are in and you can explore and build cool-looking bases? I just picked up said bundle but am waffling on whether to jump in now or wait.

The map is pretty much all done and dressed since the last patch. All the base building and vehicles are done and doable. The last stage or two of the story branch(es) are not done yet and the story/stories abrubtly stop with no ceremony.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Having gotten to the not put into ending everything (Codex's, voice lines, etc.) are in the game and done.

They are just ironing out the final bugs before they go to 1.0.

I think I like the world more in the 1st game, but that is mostly because There arent any god drat Squidsharks! And the Reaper is much more intimidating then the Chelicerate. Though that void Chelicerate is creepy af. :argh:

The QoL changes to BZ make going back to Sub1 a chore without hunting for mods that may / may not exist. (Pinning Recipes, Specific outcrops for each resource instead of a roll for 1 of 3, being able to make Vehicle mods at any fabricator not just the Vehicle console in a moonpool.)

I also like how they redid the power where batteries and your bases burn through much much faster, but the battery charger comes standard with the base building. So you actually have to pay attention to how fast your going through stuff instead of loading up your bioreactor and forgetting about it for hours. Also you get the Ion batteries / powercells much much earlier to balance that out.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I got a new Xbox and reinstalled Subnautica but now the game refuses to sync saves with the cloud. Looking around it seems like this is a somewhat common issue but nobody seemed to have a solution. Has anyone ran into this and if so is there anyway to fix it? I can't imagine the xbox will get a new update since they're working on the sequel and this is the only game I have that has this issue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Should I get Subnautica on PS4 or the Switch?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Should I get Subnautica on PS4 or the Switch?

I would not buy the Switch version until some reviews come out - given the bugs and optimisation in the PC/PS4 versions let's say I'm relucatantly skeptical the Switch version will be any good.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bet the switch version will make it melt down into molten plastic.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

It's more likely to make the Switch clip outside of your room boundaries into a wall.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

GamingHyena posted:

I got a new Xbox and reinstalled Subnautica but now the game refuses to sync saves with the cloud. Looking around it seems like this is a somewhat common issue but nobody seemed to have a solution. Has anyone ran into this and if so is there anyway to fix it? I can't imagine the xbox will get a new update since they're working on the sequel and this is the only game I have that has this issue.

I had the exact same issue with no resolution. They suck for porting to the Switch while ignoring the raging bugs on the Xbox version.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing below zero, I finished the original subnautica and I have a question after playing for an evening: should I have my fabricator tool by now? I have a seatruck, respirator, o2 tank and fins and seaglide, I've scanned the prawn in the lady's base and all of her rooms. I have the moonpool/observation room/large room/window/etc but no actual tool to build a base with! I also have the land vehicle schematic. I've got the schematics for a repair tool and laser cutter but no need for either yet, maybe the repair tool for my seatruck. It just sucks that I can't build a base yet. Did I miss something or is it a later-in-the-game tool?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Huh yeah you should have it by now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

redreader posted:

I'm playing below zero, I finished the original subnautica and I have a question after playing for an evening: should I have my fabricator tool by now? I have a seatruck, respirator, o2 tank and fins and seaglide, I've scanned the prawn in the lady's base and all of her rooms. I have the moonpool/observation room/large room/window/etc but no actual tool to build a base with! I also have the land vehicle schematic. I've got the schematics for a repair tool and laser cutter but no need for either yet, maybe the repair tool for my seatruck. It just sucks that I can't build a base yet. Did I miss something or is it a later-in-the-game tool?

You've likely skipped over it 10x now.
Its in a tiny one tube base in the twisty bridges I think its called, There are a few things to scan in there so get everything.
Remember that they should be releasing the full version at some point soo though.
So a slim possibility you would have to start over for that.
No def date on that though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

redreader posted:

There's a few scattered around. It used to be on that surface raft thing in twisty bridges that has the shark cage and the electrical cable but they took it out. most alterra bases have one and there's at least one underwater on the alterra supply platform things.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redreader posted:

If you go to the Satellite Place there's a fabricator on the steps to the first room you come to. It's kind of hard to see because it's white/black on black/white but it should be there. That's the one I always get.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm hoping the final version of BZ is done soon since I'm waiting for it to be done to play it. I really liked the first one but it started dragging a bit towards the end so I started using console commands to get resources. I didn't go crazy building bases so it was gonna be a long rear end trip back up from the very low depths to build some things. I did a lot of exploring in the beginning and probably just ran around in circles wasting a shitload of time and I think it took me a little under 40 hours to call it done.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I think I played the current BZ build as far as it currently goes, but I'm not sure. There's an invisible wall getting to the teleporter ALAN tells you about after you build his body, and on the way there you can find a log file where Sam talks about hiding a cure for the karaa bacteria in a crawlspace near the frozen leviathan, but there's no waypoint associated with it.

It wound up taking me an hour or two finding my way back to the area, but I didn't find anything around there in the room itself and the one pengwing hole I found nearby didn't have anything special. I've found youtube footage of Robin injecting something into the frozen leviathan pustules that I assume ends the side quest, but I don't actually know if it's from this build or before they overhauled the storyline.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

yook posted:

I think I played the current BZ build as far as it currently goes, but I'm not sure. There's an invisible wall getting to the teleporter ALAN tells you about after you build his body, and on the way there you can find a log file where Sam talks about hiding a cure for the karaa bacteria in a crawlspace near the frozen leviathan, but there's no waypoint associated with it.

It wound up taking me an hour or two finding my way back to the area, but I didn't find anything around there in the room itself and the one pengwing hole I found nearby didn't have anything special. I've found youtube footage of Robin injecting something into the frozen leviathan pustules that I assume ends the side quest, but I don't actually know if it's from this build or before they overhauled the storyline.

It’s this build, I found it (after looking up where it is). The thing you’re looking for is further away than you’d think.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd like to thank everyone for being so diligent about the BZ spoiler tags. I know a lot of us won't be getting the game until 1.0, or probably until a few months after when we have time etc. Cheers guys!

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

A big scary fish tries to eat you.

e: Whoops, spoiler alert

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Below Zero: Thanks for the replies about the handheld tool. You were right, I did walk past it and picked it up at the location I'd already been to. So I have another question, about the laser cutter, I have seen one fragment of it somewhere and need to scan one or two more. I have found two shipwrecks so far that need to be cut into so I wonder if I just haven't seen it yet or if I have missed it as well? I've been to a few locations, but haven't upgraded my seatruck at all yet and only have a rebreather and advanced tank, so since the seatruck is only able to go 150m, I can't reliably go more than about 400. I'm trying to build a deep base somewhere but I think I'll need a second solar panel since one gave me 60% power.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

redreader posted:

Below Zero: Thanks for the replies about the handheld tool. You were right, I did walk past it and picked it up at the location I'd already been to. So I have another question, about the laser cutter, I have seen one fragment of it somewhere and need to scan one or two more. I have found two shipwrecks so far that need to be cut into so I wonder if I just haven't seen it yet or if I have missed it as well? I've been to a few locations, but haven't upgraded my seatruck at all yet and only have a rebreather and advanced tank, so since the seatruck is only able to go 150m, I can't reliably go more than about 400. I'm trying to build a deep base somewhere but I think I'll need a second solar panel since one gave me 60% power.

Check the shipwrecks again, there are 3 total though one is farther and deeper, you should be able to get it from scanning fragments through 2 of them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you Ognar and Evilhawk.

Edit: I like exploring and discovering stuff and wouldn't say I'm at all 'stuck' right now!

There was some stuff (laser cutter) in a wreck I hadn't noticed, so now I've gone through two wrecks with my laser cutter.

I've got the mod station and the first depth upgrade to my seatruck, and it looks like I need the spiral plants for the second depth upgrade. I take it they're in an obvious place and I'll know them when I see them (it has an image of them). If it's like that, then please don't tell me where they are.

Also I got a vehicle schematic for a land vehicle but no way to build it, and I have no way to build a prawn suit yet either, not sure if I'm missing out.

Lead seems to be pretty rare in this game, I'm having luck in the spiral bridges area though. I just got the geothermal plant schematics so I'll try using that to build halfway point bases a bit deeper. And maybe I should just make a second o2 tank, because I sure am running out of breath and dying regularly. What makes them say 'you died' vs 'you died and lost some stuff'. Is it distance to the seatruck/base?

I have some artifacts to go to but they're all a bit too deep for me.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 10, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

redreader posted:

I take it they're in an obvious place and I'll know them when I see them (it has an image of them). If it's like that, then please don't tell me where they are.

I'm not sure I'd call where you find them "obvious" - I found them my first playthrough 6+ months ago by accident but had totally forgotten on my more recent one and eventually had to look at the wiki. If you're stuck, I've put a pretty obtuse, probably-not-even-a-spoiler hint in the spoiler tag below.

Look inside something big.

quote:

Also I got a vehicle schematic for a land vehicle but no way to build it, and I have no way to build a prawn suit yet either, not sure if I'm missing out.

Lead seems to be pretty rare in this game, I'm having luck in the spiral bridges area though. I just got the geothermal plant schematics so I'll try using that to build halfway point bases a bit deeper. And maybe I should just make a second o2 tank, because I sure am running out of breath and dying regularly. What makes them say 'you died' vs 'you died and lost some stuff'. Is it distance to the seatruck/base?

For your first point, you'll need to find the snowfox base to scan what you're looking for. Check your database under "maps", if you have that it should be able to point you in the right direction.

Yeah, I found lead has typically been the the limiting factor for me - lithium is quite easy to come by in a certain area, and you're pretty much tripping over rubies and diamonds once you get to a certain depth. The "fix" for me was just using the (very mild equipment spoiler) handheld mineral detector thing and cruising around the shallows/Twisty Bridges hunting down and smashing open deposits for 5-10 minutes while I listen to a podcast.

Re: dying - sounds like we had similar equipment in terms of O2 management at where you are in the game, maybe I just play a lot more conservatively than you, because generally I only run out of breath if I'm being a bit reckless (lol) exploring a wreck and get turned around. Even then the oxygen plants are usually enough to keep me going, and will re-open after a time.

For small bases, if you have the bio reactor that works really well, especially if you've found the greenhouse and planter/lantern fruit to fuel it. I was even using one as the primary power source at my main base into midgame before I started getting occasional brownouts.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

redreader posted:

What makes them say 'you died' vs 'you died and lost some stuff'. Is it distance to the seatruck/base?

This all depends on what you picked up when you were out, generally you drop anything that was newly picked up after last leaving the base.
BUT its now dropping towards the sea floor where you were, so if need be, its all still there and not gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you're carrying a beacon when you die the beacon will activate to lead you back to your stuff.