Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone needs to go watch Dear Doctor in the first season again and watch Phlox and Archer agree that eugenics and letting a sentient species go extinct when they can be saved are a good thing.

Their decision is monstrous but non-interference is basically the opposite of eugenics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm basically on board with this. I'm at the point of thinking that AotC is better than Episode 9.

Enterprise is worse than Voyager in a lot of ways, because it's forgettable.

I came to this realization today myself as one of those shower thoughts. "Holy poo poo, I actually kinda like Attack of the Clones and not in a guilty pleasure way. But Rise of Skywalker was loving asssssssssssssss."

I don't hate Enterprise, I'm just disappointed that it didn't live up to its potential most of the time and was just kinda weird and awkward mostly thanks to Berman and Braga each being burned out on doing Star Trek for like 15 years at that point and in Berman's case being an utter loving hack/sexpest.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone needs to go watch Dear Doctor in the first season again and watch Phlox and Archer agree that eugenics and letting a sentient species go extinct when they can be saved are a good thing.

The TNG movies are indeed trash outside of First Contact, especially Insurrection, but they're at least somewhat watchable. Rise of Skywalker was just an exhausting experience because there's zero suspense or surprise to it. Everything is either telegraphed well in advance Oh boy kids, strap in for half an hour of "I've never done this before" amnesia jokes from C-3PO until the 'big surprise' of R2 having a backup comes around!, or just slams a retread of Empire AND Return of the Jedi together like it's gotta make up for lost time due to The Last Jedi having the gall to not repeat Empire verbatim. The Leia scenes are just frankly embarrassing for all concerned and I just felt sorry for the actors stuck trying to make them work. Also the only two people who acted like they wanted to be in the film are Billy Dee Williams and Ian McDermid going ham for all they're worth. I feel if you tried to salvage the film, you'd quickly wind up with something built differently almost from the ground-up rather than minor changes because of just how badly it's made.

I will give praise to one good scene that deserved to be in a better movie; Ben Skywalker's "death" and redemption were a great redo of the Force Awaken's climax.

They fly now. :V

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The TNG movies are indeed trash outside of First Contact, especially Insurrection, but they're at least somewhat watchable. Rise of Skywalker was just an exhausting experience because there's zero suspense or surprise to it. Everything is either telegraphed well in advance Oh boy kids, strap in for half an hour of "I've never done this before" amnesia jokes from C-3PO until the 'big surprise' of R2 having a backup comes around!, or just slams a retread of Empire AND Return of the Jedi together like it's gotta make up for lost time due to The Last Jedi having the gall to not repeat Empire verbatim. The Leia scenes are just frankly embarrassing for all concerned and I just felt sorry for the actors stuck trying to make them work. Also the only two people who acted like they wanted to be in the film are Billy Dee Williams and Ian McDermid going ham for all they're worth. I feel if you tried to salvage the film, you'd quickly wind up with something built differently almost from the ground-up rather than minor changes because of just how badly it's made.

I will give praise to one good scene that deserved to be in a better movie; Ben Skywalker's "death" and redemption were a great redo of the Force Awaken's climax.

It looked really cool though, which is more than I can say for Insurrection or Nemesis (a few good set pieces aside).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It looked really cool though, which is more than I can say for Insurrection or Nemesis (a few good set pieces aside).

Rise of Skywalker looked absolutely drab and visually boring for like 80% of its runtime. The only time it gets kind of interesting to look at is that two-minute stretch on the Burning Man planet when the plot finally slows down for a second after that unrelenting 20 minute mad dash where JJ gets you up to speed on what would have happened if he'd directed Episode VIII instead of Rian Johnson. And then on the Death Star wreckage, but even that's all washed out and drab and just a mess, and it grinds your soul down because they ran so far out of ideas they just put The Literal Death Star in another Star Wars movie.

Why didn't I go see Sonic the Hedgehog when I had the chance just to make sure Rise of Skywalker wasn't the last movie I ever watched in a movie theater? :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Rise of Skywalker looked absolutely drab and visually boring for like 80% of its runtime. The only time it gets kind of interesting to look at is that two-minute stretch on the Burning Man planet when the plot finally slows down for a second after that unrelenting 20 minute mad dash where JJ gets you up to speed on what would have happened if he'd directed Episode VIII instead of Rian Johnson. And then on the Death Star wreckage, but even that's all washed out and drab and just a mess, and it grinds your soul down because they ran so far out of ideas they just put The Literal Death Star in another Star Wars movie.

I can sit through a lot of bad/trashy media without a care and I'm a life-long Star Wars fan, but Rise of Skywalker was just such a mentally-draining experience that it's one of maybe a handful of films I don't think I could ever actually bring myself to watch twice.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Man, all this hate on Insurrection... Most like an episode, a great score. Movie is underrated by you dudes.

For some reason whenever I think about how bad Rise of Skywalker was, the pacing and tasks remind me of this wonderful gazorra edit. Go here, go there, go to the next place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhR6VVHUhkA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

Man, all this hate on Insurrection... Most like an episode, a great score. Movie is underrated by you dudes.

For some reason whenever I think about how bad Rise of Skywalker was, the pacing and tasks remind me of this wonderful gazorra edit. Go here, go there, go to the next place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhR6VVHUhkA

Mayhaps the thread was too harsh on you before. Every word of this post is the truth. Andrew Hussie's TNG edits were sublimely brilliant and its a shame that the dude who copycat'd him/continued from where he left off didn't have a shred of Hussie's comic timing... and turned out to be a huge chud apparently :yikes:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe I am just getting old, but man does it feel like every one is absolutely spoiled on special effects these days. If you told me when I was a kid this movie would have a duel on top of a photorealistic crashed Star Destroyer in a roaring ocean and people would be yawning I would have thought you were out of your drat mind.

I also thought the Emperor's whole thing had a real neat design.

Movie was still bad but I guess I have a soft spot for expensive fantasy space effects.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Insurrection is a great episode but a mediocre movie.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The soundtrack is way underrated

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It broke my heart to learn that the beautiful mountain lake they filmed the holoship scenes on has now been completely developed and is inaccessible to the public because it's part of a gated community of McMansions now :smith:

I really liked Insurrection's Planet Norther California setting visually.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Working my way through DS9 and Past Tense is depressingly on the nose about what this decade is going to be like.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

side_burned posted:

Working my way through DS9 and Past Tense is depressingly on the nose about what this decade is going to be like.

I dunno I find it optimistic, the poor were actually being fed at least.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
HUMAN SARU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe I am just getting old, but man does it feel like every one is absolutely spoiled on special effects these days. If you told me when I was a kid this movie would have a duel on top of a photorealistic crashed Star Destroyer in a roaring ocean and people would be yawning I would have thought you were out of your drat mind.

I also thought the Emperor's whole thing had a real neat design.

Movie was still bad but I guess I have a soft spot for expensive fantasy space effects.

Its a good action B-movie to watch SFX and lightsaber battles.
Its a poo poo star wars movie.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Random ship transformations :patriot:

I love this wacky holodeck world. The design of the freaky rear end kelp boogieman was really good.

I guess Discovery can cloak. I wonder if it's standard issue for all federation ships in the future. How did Osyrra know so much about the Discovery and how all their poo poo worked?

e: Tilly why didn't you blow up the shipset the self destruct? Nothing would say you are future captain material by setting the ship to self destruct and the having it go off :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 24, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Random ship transformations :patriot:

I love this wacky holodeck world. The design of the freaky rear end kelp boogieman was really good.

I guess Discovery can cloak. I wonder if it's standard issue for all federation ships in the future. How did Osyrra know so much about the Discovery and how all their poo poo worked?

Romulans are now Vulcans, baby. The Treaty of Algeron is officially toilet paper now. Cloak them ships!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/dUO9QeW.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Romulans are now Vulcans, baby. The Treaty of Algeron is officially toilet paper now. Cloak them ships!

:toot:

iirc even Book's tiny scout ship had cloak, so yea it probably is common tech. It will probably not be used much in the future because the writers forgot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well I guess now we know where the "sword stabbing Michael" effects budget went :stare:.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How did Osyrra know so much about the Discovery and how all their poo poo worked?

Probably some sort of integrated tracking device on the tech Book unwittingly installed on the ship.

Orrrrrrr.....there’s a spy within Starfleet. Because Starfleet is still lousy with spies a millenia into the future.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 24, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Back to decent episodes, thankfully. Kinda reminded me of two TNG episodes; Future Imperfect (dying mother sets up elaborate holodeck for her soon-to-be-orphaned son) and Emergence (crew has to puzzle out what the ship wants via holo characters).

The Burn explanation given sounds like complete nonsense, but at least it wasn’t Burnham’s fault.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This episode was so ridiculously cgi heavy. It's very impressive.

So the Burn was caused by a child with sub-Q powers due to evolutionary changes. It makes sense Lore-wise.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 24, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Its almost as if we all agreed to spoiler spoilers, loving hell.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
If I weren't just going through the motions watching this I might be able to muster like 2% of Burnhams emotion to be annoyed there.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I think no matter how the story turns out, the SFX team needs to be seriously lauded for pulling this stuff off as the first team doing so working completely remotely during the pandemic. Goddamn.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I much prefer that the end of season stakes are "Pirates destroy the last of the Federation and extort the galaxy for the rest of time with mushroom drives" rather than "all life killed by AI".

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OMG loving SPOILERS LOL posted:

This episode was so ridiculously cgi heavy. It's very impressive.

So the Burn was caused by a child with sub-Q powers due to evolutionary changes. It makes sense Lore-wise.

Nah it's not Q type powers, he just has a connection to the dilithium on the planet and combined with his mental state and the insane amount of it on that planet concentrated together is enough to cause galactic wide shockwaves that smash the crystals to pieces.

I'm guessing as his fear in this episode only caused a local wave and gave the crew time to deal with it that what caused the Burn was the death of his mother and being left all alone which would break a kids mind.

Burnham caused the burn by savings the Keplians last season - Ba'ul did nothing wrong.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 24, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Thom12255 posted:

Burnham caused the burn by savings the Keplians last season - Ba'ul did nothing wrong.

LMAO this is so loving true, SO loving TRUE

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Why... why did her ship do the mushroom thing....

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Why... why did her ship do the mushroom thing....

Why did they stay outside the nebula and not jump to Federation HQ and then jump to the planet's orbit when the away team was ready to be picked up? Tilly says they need to protect the away team, but Osyraa doesn't know where the team is or would even be able to get into orbit without dying just like Discovery would have if they went in without jumping. It's because then the show wouldn't happen. They made the tech is so powerful that it solves every problem but they can't recognize that and still have the dramatic moments they want. It's bad world building and plot development.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I haven't seen this episode yet but apparently the impressive staircase I've been told is used in the set is literally my old work place. Neat!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Why did Osira's ship need hentai tentacles?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Why did Osira's ship need hentai tentacles?

I guess the attachments to the hull sync the ships up and allowed it to jump with Discovery. And stops them moving I guess. Why didn't Discovery try moving or firing though, why didn't Tilly even attempt to blow the ship up?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Thom12255 posted:

I guess the attachments to the hull sync the ships up and allowed it to jump with Discovery. And stops them moving I guess. Why didn't Discovery try moving or firing though, why didn't Tilly even attempt to blow the ship up?

Really just because the plot demanded it, but I guess you can handwave it as Tilly not having a whole lot of time to react, plus Stamets not having the shields up and ready.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So you can just beam through shields whenever now? That seems like a problem.

Noise Complaint posted:

I think no matter how the story turns out, the SFX team needs to be seriously lauded for pulling this stuff off as the first team doing so working completely remotely during the pandemic. Goddamn.

It's really good. The environments are great and Trek can finally have aliens that look weird as poo poo.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Golden Gael posted:

I haven't seen this episode yet but apparently the impressive staircase I've been told is used in the set is literally my old work place. Neat!

you used to work in the kingston penitentiary :confused:?

I haven't watched the episode either, going off of google, maybe there's a different impressive staircase in it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

So you can just beam through shields whenever now? That seems like a problem.

It's really good. The environments are great and Trek can finally have aliens that look weird as poo poo.

Haven't watched the episode yet but beaming through shields is one of the most consistent plotholes/writer oversights in the whole franchise. Unless it was an actual stated intentional plot point this time, in which case, uh... poo poo :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

It would have already happened in the episode anyway, when they beamed the away team down to the planet.