Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yes, OpenEMU runs well on Big Sur, it was rewritten recently to support Metal..

It's also got fantastic support for PS3/4 controllers..

Don't forget to download the OpenEmu BIOS pack from archive.org that will let you get started!

It plays PS / PSP games (even the Japanese ROMs) extremely well... I've been able to play games that I know that no company in Japan will ever port over for the American market.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Something else to consider about the new M1 Macs:

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/12/22/booting-an-m1-mac-from-an-external-disk-it-is-possible/

It seems that in order to boot from an external drive on an M1 Mac, the following conditions must be met:

1) You must have a Thunderbolt 3 drive/enclosure, USB won't be honored.
Has to be Thunderbolt-only, if it says it will work in a USB-C only port then it's a no-go

2) You have to install 11.1 minimum on the external drive

3) No more holding down option to get the Startup Manager, M1s don't recognize it, you must boot to Recovery mode and use the Startup Disk picker there. (it's still in all Intel Macs though)

Thunderbolt 3 drives/enclosures are loving expensive, you're looking at least $75 for a pure TB enclosure.

I guess Apple doesn't want people booting off of any old off-the-shelf drive anymore.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 24, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Something else to consider about the new M1 Macs:

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/12/22/booting-an-m1-mac-from-an-external-disk-it-is-possible/

It seems that in order to boot from an external drive on an M1 Mac, the following conditions must be met:

1) You must have a Thunderbolt 3 drive/enclosure, USB won't be honored.
Has to be Thunderbolt-only, if it says it will work in a USB-C only port then it's a no-go

2) You have to install 11.1 minimum on the external drive

3) No more holding down option to get the Startup Manager, M1s don't recognize it, you must boot to Recovery mode and use the Startup Disk picker there. (it's still in all Intel Macs though)

Thunderbolt 3 drives/enclosures are loving expensive, you're looking at least $75 for a pure TB enclosure.

I guess Apple doesn't want people booting off of any old off-the-shelf drive anymore.

Wait, so you can't wipe/install the OS from a USB stick anymore? That's lame-sauce.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Wait, so you can't wipe/install the OS from a USB stick anymore? That's lame-sauce.

Do they make thunderbolt sticks? That would be pretty cool.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Internet recovery has been the preferred/ supported way for several years now

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FCKGW posted:

Internet recovery has been the preferred/ supported way for several years now

What about Target Disk Mode? Does that still exist?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I have a huion drawing monitor hooked up to my iMac late 2013 and regularly it does this thing when I turn it on that the iMac screen flashes and the huion screen also flashes. Both of them keep flashing until eventually things work.

It looks like it's trying to find the right resolution/ hz or something but sometimes it takes 5 minutes of this before it turns on and works good. The screen works like a champ besides this issue and is set up as its own display rather than mirroring.

Any idea what might be causing that and a way to avoid it? Someone mentioned switchres X as an option but I'm wondering if it's worth the $.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Quackles posted:

What about Target Disk Mode? Does that still exist?

It still does but for M1 Macs, it's in a convoluted way..

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/transfer-files-a-mac-apple-silicon-mchlb37e8ca7/11.0/mac/11.0

You can't just hold down T at boot anymore, you hold down the power button while booting to access an option selection, share the disk as one of those options, then on the other Mac, you connect via the Finder to the target machine's drive.

Apple probably decided nope holding down T and a single pass phrase prompt (and that's only if it's encrypted) isn't secure enough anymore, gotta jump through hoops now.

At least you can still do it with either a Thunderbolt -or- USB 3 cable, but still LOL at Apple for making another previously simple procedure more complex..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 24, 2020

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I was going crazy trying to figure out why scrolling had suddenly becoming so choppy inside Safari. Turns out AdGuard was causing it. I closed it down and everything's back to normal.

Is there a reliable alternative to AdGuard for Safari?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

What's a good, extremely lightweight GUI text editor for mac os? I basically want something like notepad.exe in order to make quick edits and paste snippets of unformatted text back and forth without having to gently caress around with vim registers

Rollie Fingers posted:

Is there a reliable alternative to AdGuard for Safari?

People like 1blocker but you have to subscribe to block more than one category, and "ads" and "trackers" are somehow separate categories. I paid for Better Blocker but it misses poo poo that adguard doesn't.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Clark Nova posted:

What's a good, extremely lightweight GUI text editor for mac os? I basically want something like notepad.exe in order to make quick edits and paste snippets of unformatted text back and forth without having to gently caress around with vim registers

Visual Studio Code isn't Notepad-level lightweight, but it's clean enough that the features you don't need don't get in your way. I've come to prefer it even for plain old .txt files.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

People like 1blocker but you have to subscribe to block more than one category, and "ads" and "trackers" are somehow separate categories. I paid for Better Blocker but it misses poo poo that adguard doesn't.

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest TextEdit. With some quick tweaks in Preferences (open files as plain text basically), it’s plenty serviceable. I say this, but I use Sublime Text. I spend a decent amount of time with various repos and such though.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

Visual Studio Code isn't Notepad-level lightweight, but it's clean enough that the features you don't need don't get in your way. I've come to prefer it even for plain old .txt files.

I usually use Code for this type of stuff just because I mostly have it open anyway.

It’s not a GUI but if you just don’t want to deal with Vi maybe nano could work?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There is a built in notes app, is that not what you want? It's basically a super lightweight text editor for your quick notepad stuff.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
BBEdit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nitsuga posted:

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest TextEdit. With some quick tweaks in Preferences (open files as plain text basically), it’s plenty serviceable. I say this, but I use Sublime Text. I spend a decent amount of time with various repos and such though.

This would have been my suggestion, I always use it in plain text mode and it's everything I ever wanted in a bare-bones-but-fully-native-text-functionality-enabled-and-not-actually-maddeningly-buggy-after-500-years-like-Notepad text editor.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I didn't know about that toggle in TextEdit. It looks like it's perfect for my usage case with text mode turned on. Thanks for all the suggestions

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I still use TextWrangler because it's never failed me, it lets me write python code without having to jump through hoops, and the nags to go to BBEdit full seem to have stopped.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Since apparently encrypted device passwords are NOT shared via iCloud keychain, what's the best way to keep a secure cloud-based copy of all my encrypted backup drive passwords that doesn't cost extra? Just store them in a keychain file in iCloud drive?

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

wdarkk posted:

Since apparently encrypted device passwords are NOT shared via iCloud keychain, what's the best way to keep a secure cloud-based copy of all my encrypted backup drive passwords that doesn't cost extra? Just store them in a keychain file in iCloud drive?

Why can't you just add them to your keychain that's stored in the cloud as a normal password item?

I generally use Lastpass for this type of thing, but I have a few things manually encrypted with ccrypt and stored in dropbox and iCloud Drive. It's simple to use and ubiquitous - just don't forget your passcode.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

I still use TextWrangler because it's never failed me, it lets me write python code without having to jump through hoops, and the nags to go to BBEdit full seem to have stopped.

Why not switch? TextWrangler is no longer supported. BBEdit has a free mode now that is the same as TextWrangler used to be.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sublime sublime sublime

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CygnusTM posted:

Why not switch? TextWrangler is no longer supported. BBEdit has a free mode now that is the same as TextWrangler used to be.

Yep. The only nagging is that on first run of any major version upgrade, it shows you a dialog to let you know they're giving you a 30 day eval of the full version. Once the eval period is over, it disables the paid features without bothering you about it.

Unless you'd gotten used to one of those features, then you'll be bothered by their absence. Which is obviously the point: the first hit is free! But I'm fine with that. As a freeware user I'd like their business to continue being viable, and their policy of only displaying a dialog at major version changes doesn't feel naggy to me. I never have to click through anything unless I already chose to interrupt my use of the app by letting it update and restart itself.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

You can. You just can't successfully install a full version of the OS to an external USB drive. Or you can't do so reliably, there are scattered reports of some success. (Supposedly installing to a drive connected to the USB-A port of a M1 Mini works. I have an Air, so no way to test that here.)

The fact that a USB stick installer still functions for reinstalling to the internal drive is a big clue that the problems people are experiencing when installing a full OS to an external USB drive are early-days bugginess, not a policy decision. Unfortunately Apple's extreme reluctance to ever clarify what is bug and what is policy results in people leaping to conclusions.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just want to chime in and say I have paid for BBEdit and I love it. In particular, it has an absolutely ironclad autosave support where no matter what happens, if your computer loses power, whatever - your most recent work should reappear intact, regardless of whether you saved to the file on disk.

But if you want something lighter-weight, set TextEdit to plain text mode and turn smart quotes off.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wdarkk posted:

As long as you don’t need to access them via iOS then an encrypted note (in Keychain Access) is probably easiest. For a standalone password manager Bitwarden is best IMO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quackles posted:

I just want to chime in and say I have paid for BBEdit and I love it. In particular, it has an absolutely ironclad autosave support where no matter what happens, if your computer loses power, whatever - your most recent work should reappear intact, regardless of whether you saved to the file on disk.

But if you want something lighter-weight, set TextEdit to plain text mode and turn smart quotes off.

Fwiw, TextEdit has served me well in this regard too. All my open windows full of unformatted JSON blobs from 8 months ago that I never bothered or had the guts to go and discard have survived multiple reboots and OS updates.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I've always found Atom to be lightweight enough for my basic text editing needs but YMMV I guess.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
BBEdit 4 lyfe.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Seems like I’m the only one using TextMate

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haven't seen Textastic either.

I regularly use Textastic for plain text, and once in a blue moon XSL template editing. It has some nice contextual highlighting for various types of files. For quick and dirty python editing I use Visual Studio Code, and for full on python dev stuff I use PyCharm.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why does apple have such a boner for ULTMATE SECURITY. It's loving obnoxious.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I appreciate it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Facebook agent spotted

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

redeyes posted:

Why does apple have such a boner for ULTMATE SECURITY. It's loving obnoxious.

At least for me, their approach hasn't negatively impacted my ability to use my Macbook air or iPad. I don't use an iPhone. I appreciate their approach, especially for things like homekit, which i've been trying to move my home automation into as much as possible since the widespread AWS downtime a few weeks back broke like half of my smart home devices, leaving them defaulting to their dumb state.

I appreciate being able to control the whole system within my home network, especially for things like my locks or any cameras.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Does HomeKit poo poo work without an active internet connection?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:gaming: OpenEmu 2.3 has been released :gaming:

OpenEmu 2.3 is out, and now supports Big Sur. No Apple Silicon yet, runs in Rosetta 2 for now.

Light gun support for PS1 and Saturn added.

Full list of fixes/features: https://openemu.org/rnotes/2.3.html

It actually looks like eventual support for 4DO is coming, as I've got some 3DO ROMs that suddenly appear in my games list, but will refuse to run as the 'Cores' module doesn't seem to have been written yet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It will work within your network without a Internet connection. Obviously it is physically impossible for you to communicate from outside your lan into your lan hwithout an Internet connection.

All HomeKit certified devices connect to the hub via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and must be able to work without access to the internet. And in fact, barring a attempt to change your smart devices from outside of your home from your phone or another Apple device, all communication is done locally.

Now, of course if you set something up with homebridge that isn’t certified to work with HomeKit then the homebridge itself will communicate directly with your hub without needing to be able to access the Internet but whatever devices are connecting to the homebridge may need access to the Internet because they are not designed to work with HomeKit directly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It will work within your network without a Internet connection. Obviously it is physically impossible for you to communicate from outside your lan into your lan hwithout an Internet connection.

All HomeKit certified devices connect to the hub via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and must be able to work without access to the internet. And in fact, barring a attempt to change your smart devices from outside of your home from your phone or another Apple device, all communication is done locally.

Now, of course if you set something up with homebridge that isn’t certified to work with HomeKit then the homebridge itself will communicate directly with your hub without needing to be able to access the Internet but whatever devices are connecting to the homebridge may need access to the Internet because they are not designed to work with HomeKit directly.

This is interesting to me, because I'm trying and failing to find a smart thermostat (in the EU) which I can control from my iPhone, but which doesn't see the internet - I eventually want to create a separate VLAN for my IoT devices and keep them walled off from the outside world. So HomeKit certified ones should allow this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

This is interesting to me, because I'm trying and failing to find a smart thermostat (in the EU) which I can control from my iPhone, but which doesn't see the internet - I eventually want to create a separate VLAN for my IoT devices and keep them walled off from the outside world. So HomeKit certified ones should allow this?

Correct. The ecobee thermostat should be homekit certified.

You can also get a homekit compatible router like the Eero which, when you set it up in homekit, will put firewalls around any homekit devices on your network to prevent them from communicating with the internet at large, forcing them to go through the homekit hub.

This could be useful if you have homekit devices which support multiple home automation services and you don't trust them to not be taking to the internet.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036319531-How-to-use-HomeKit-with-your-eero-Network

There's a home automation thread on SA that may have more informed people as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 26, 2020