Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Constellation I posted:

Obligatory gently caress ipcamtalk and gently caress fenderman. Do NOT go to that website.

Chill. He's an rear end in a top hat, but the site has plenty of solid info. Kinda like here and Lowtax until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nulldevice posted:

First things first: RAID is NOT backup. It is redundancy for reducing downtime in the event a drive fails. If you delete a file in a RAID1 array that data is lost on both disks. You need a proper versioned backup schema in mind for true backups.

To answer your questions:
1) If your shield is doing the job then keep it that way. No need to spend the extra money on a DS2xx+ model if you aren't going to run plex on it. One of the advantages of the + series (I think this is exclusive to them, so don't take my word for it) is BTRFS snapshots. So if you nuke a directory or some files, you can browse the previous snapshot and get the data back. I think that's restricted to the 64bit Intel processor line of Synology devices. Something to consider when making your purchase. While this is no substitute for an off device/off site backup, it is a handy feature to have available.

2) Platter drives are fine for NAS systems as a single 5400 RPM drive can saturate a gigabit ethernet connection.

3) See number 2.

4) A DS220 would probably do fine for your needs. Avoid the 'j' models as they tend to be a bit anemic when it comes to transfer speeds. I don't know if that has changed much since I last used one though. Synology seems to be the go-to for NAS solutions as they have great support and will really help you if something shits the bed. There are other cheaper models on the market from different vendors, and the only other one I have used is a Q-Nap. It worked okay, but it seemed to be a tad slow. This was a TS-423 I think, it's been several years now. I returned a different Q-Nap for performance reasons as well as even with bonded ethernet I couldn't get over 45Mbps speed. My synology pushes over 120Mbps easily on the same network architecture.

And again: RAID is NOT backup.
s/redundancy/availability/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Axe-man posted:

I saw some company that managed to get Synology Surveillance Station to work with Uquititi cameras and it was not pretty, it basically was just diverting the steam and almost going "gently caress you, i'm not using your environment just cause!"

It was one of the more janky things I've seen.
If they're not attached to a controller the Ubiquiti cameras have a standalone mode that'll give you a RTSP stream and a very basic config interface, so if they got janky with it they were probably overthinking the problem.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

wolrah posted:

If they're not attached to a controller the Ubiquiti cameras have a standalone mode that'll give you a RTSP stream and a very basic config interface, so if they got janky with it they were probably overthinking the problem.

You can get those URLs even if they're adopted, I know I've seen them in Protect before. I'm not sure why someone would pay for Unifi cameras without using their NVR/Protect, that's kind of missing the point.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

8TB Red Plus for $149.99 after code on newegg. 3 year warranty
Coupon: EMCGFFF25
WD Red Plus 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s, CMR, 256MB Cache, 3.5 Inch - WD80EFAX
https://www.newegg.com/red-wd80efax-8tb/p/1Z4-0002-00B89?sdtid=14720081&item=1Z4-0002-00B89

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good articles/resources y’all would recommend on storage and backup best practices?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
For synology that'd probably include "don't use write cache SSDs if you like your data." I didn't do much research before turning it on with a pair of SSDs, and when one died the other reverted to uninitialized instead of gracefully failing which corrupted some files on the volume. Luckily it didn't toast the entire volume like some other forum posts i've seen, maybe because I had file checksums enabled?

At any rate, once I copy the rest of this data off and rebuild everything as a precaution i'm gonna have way more storage than I know what to do with so at least that's nice.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
I’ve been thinking about using a pair of intel optane SSDs for write caching on my synology, with the theory being that they’re meant for caching and have much higher endurance (esp. when full) than regular SSDs.

I’m also not really after any speed benefits, I’m hoping a 50GB read/write cache will stop my various media centre docker containers accessing a spinning disk every few minutes and maybe make the thing quieter, or even get to a point where it makes sense to spin the disks down if nobody is watching a movie or accessing files.

I can’t find anything telling me that either of these will work, since all the information online is essentially “don’t use SSDs, they’ll fail quickly and you probably don’t need the speed”

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jamus posted:

I’ve been thinking about using a pair of intel optane SSDs for write caching on my synology, with the theory being that they’re meant for caching and have much higher endurance (esp. when full) than regular SSDs.

I’m also not really after any speed benefits, I’m hoping a 50GB read/write cache will stop my various media centre docker containers accessing a spinning disk every few minutes and maybe make the thing quieter, or even get to a point where it makes sense to spin the disks down if nobody is watching a movie or accessing files.

I can’t find anything telling me that either of these will work, since all the information online is essentially “don’t use SSDs, they’ll fail quickly and you probably don’t need the speed”

Don't do it. I don't care about quality of flash, I mostly wouldn't trust the synology itself. :v: I use an SSD for a read cache which I like to pretend helps. It has like a 50% hit rate for my workload.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Jamus posted:

Based on my experience in the preceding post there's a reason this is the prevailing wisdom. Maybe if you confine it to a second volume which has frequent and easily accessible backups you can minimize the blast radius, but it seems like an awful convoluted path just to spin down drives.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
If the failures are coming from bad software, I guess there's no way to fix it with expensive hardware. I just figured people were installing consumer grade SSDs and they were being destroyed by lots of write cycles when they're full (a worst case scenario for wear leveling). A second volume just for (easily rebuildable) support files for containers/VMs is a pretty good idea, but you're right in that it's a lot of work to do given that the Synology is almost silent when idle. I guess I'll just comfort myself in the knowledge that spinning disks are generally more reliable when they're kept spun-up.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Holiday time means its finally, finally time to get back into the NAS game. My old one dates back to 2008 and runs some Solaris variant... and's been off for the past few years with inertia being a bitch and a half. I started rebuilding in 2017 (probably some posts from then here) but never actually finished bringing up the hardware, so it's just been... sitting. Since then however, I have ended up with a LOT of hardware from server surplus sales and some very lucky and generous friends at big tech co(s) with stupid R&D budgets.

Plan is still to ESXi, and then run FreeNAS (or whatever it's become now) as a dedicated storage provider VM, and then separate Linux VM (or VMs) to actually run whatever software/servers I need, instead of depending on FreeBSD jails or pre-built packages.

First question, where I've got the burden of old knowledge (I built my first one w/ 2 TB drives around the whole 512/4K transition time) and it's a bit unclear on the Internet.... is ashift / worrying about sectors still a thing? Or have we all moved on at this point? My drives are 8x Exos X16 16 TB drives (SATA, sadly not SAS, but not going to argue with cheap) that will run off the LSI SAS3008 controller on my Supermicro mobo. I'm thinking my only real choices are RAID-Z2, or striped mirrors. It's in a Fractal Node 304 and I'm not going to plan for further expansion in this chassis.

Second question... ZIL, L2ARC, do people still care about these? This is mostly going to be slow file storage (media, etc., not a production environment in any means. I've got a 7.68 TB PM1725A NVMe drive (used) installed in my x8 slot on the mobo that I'm not sure what to do with yet, but I figure it's got IOPS for days. ZIL, L2ARC, maybe a small flash pool to expose as real fast storage?

e: Actually, reading my own post history in this thread now...I already asked these and these were answered by some awesome goons. Sounds like:

1. 512/4K not a problem (thanks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=471289841#post471289841), if drive reports itself, there's a database of models that is checked against.
2. Re: L2ARC/ZIL/etc (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=471210712#post471210712)... don't even need to start with either one at the moment, I think. With 64 GB of system memory, putting 24-32 GB to FreeNAS is likely overkill for me.

movax fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 23, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

movax posted:

e: Actually, reading my own post history in this thread now...I already asked these and these were answered by some awesome goons. Sounds like:

1. 512/4K not a problem (thanks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=471289841#post471289841), if drive reports itself, there's a database of models that is checked against.
2. Re: L2ARC/ZIL/etc (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=471210712#post471210712)... don't even need to start with either one at the moment, I think. With 64 GB of system memory, putting 24-32 GB to FreeNAS is likely overkill for me.

Yup, this is still true: don't worry about 512/4k, and L2ARC/ZIL on a SSD aren't likely to help you if you're serving single-digit clients with 20+GB RAM.

Also, yes, RAIDZ2 is probably the minimum you want for 8 drives.

You could always run the SSD as a iSCSI target if you only have one "main" computer you'd want fast storage for, I suppose. But you'd also need 10Gb networking if you didn't want to waste most of the benefit of a drive that fast.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DrDork posted:

Yup, this is still true: don't worry about 512/4k, and L2ARC/ZIL on a SSD aren't likely to help you if you're serving single-digit clients with 20+GB RAM.

The one caveat to that I firmly believe is a metadata only l2arc on SSD if you use backup software that does an stat of all the files rather than an IO watcher. It cut hours off my backup time and brought the system io down.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any serious contenders to Synology or QNAP for the “I don’t want to have to think about this NAS for the next five years” market?

Bonus if they can run light Plex, and maybe a docker image or two. I’m guessing it’s down to the above two or rolling my own but if it’s down to just building a PC the value prop will have to be amazing to get me invested with time..

Right now I have an ancient Seagate blackarmor (lol) 4 bay from like the 1930s. It’s decrepit and old and I’ve been pretty sure it’s ready to die any day for the last four years now but somehow it just keeps ticking. Getting a sizeable bonus at work so I can finally justify spending a thousand+ on something to replace it though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Will someone please think of the childrenpedants? All this filthy language, such as using ZIL instead of SLOG is just downright nasty!

Hughlander posted:

The one caveat to that I firmly believe is a metadata only l2arc on SSD if you use backup software that does an stat of all the files rather than an IO watcher. It cut hours off my backup time and brought the system io down.
I assume you're doing this with per-dataset properties like primarycache/secondarycache=metadata? That will not accomplish exactly what you're saying, since that data can still be evicted in favour of data that is used more recently or more often (or a combination thereof) - and that's quite likely to occur, since the stating directories is not typically done outside of the user doing ls, a httpd or ftpd serving with directory indexing enabled, or some other very use-case specific workload.
The only way to do it, and in such way that you can get additional benefit from streaming I/O of all the data stored on disk, is to use allocation classes - because they were made exactly for this reason, as part of draid. Which also means having to have a mirror of the disks, because if the metadata goes, the pool goes.

Martytoof posted:

Are there any serious contenders to Synology or QNAP for the “I don’t want to have to think about this NAS for the next five years” market?

Bonus if they can run light Plex, and maybe a docker image or two. I’m guessing it’s down to the above two or rolling my own but if it’s down to just building a PC the value prop will have to be amazing to get me invested with time..

Right now I have an ancient Seagate blackarmor (lol) 4 bay from like the 1930s. It’s decrepit and old and I’ve been pretty sure it’s ready to die any day for the last four years now but somehow it just keeps ticking. Getting a sizeable bonus at work so I can finally justify spending a thousand+ on something to replace it though.
Unfortunately that market is essentially a race to the bottom, so you get something that's as bad as your current Seagate thingymajigger, or potentially something worse, that actually wants to throw your data away. If you have to have them, synology or qnap are good enough.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 24, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eugh, I didn’t know it was that unpleasant down there. My last experience with Synology in like 2015 was fairly pleasant in the sense that it seemed to be stable for the year we deployed one before I left that particular company.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Not a whole lot of market in offering customers intangible concepts as actually protecting customer data, unless you charge exorbitant prices and call it an enterprise solution, despite using opensource software.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Martytoof posted:

:words:

Only thing you didn’t mention was a prebuilt TrueNAS (formerly FreeNAS) system. Similarly point and click to QNAP or Synology.

I like my QNAP TVS-471 for what it’s worth. But at the time of purchase, that was $1600 outlay with drives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rufius posted:

Only thing you didn’t mention was a prebuilt TrueNAS (formerly FreeNAS) system. Similarly point and click to QNAP or Synology.

I like my QNAP TVS-471 for what it’s worth. But at the time of purchase, that was $1600 outlay with drives.
TrueNAS Core is DIY though - not something you buy off the shelf, start up, set up, and forget about.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

TrueNAS Core is DIY though - not something you buy off the shelf, start up, set up, and forget about.

I must be misremembering then. I was thinking these were pretty point and click: https://www.truenas.com/truenas-mini/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TrueNAS Core is DIY. TrueNAS commercial has official appliances ranging from four drive SOHO boxes up to full racks of disks with NVDIMM caching and multiple 100G interfaces.

https://www.truenas.com/systems-overview/

e:f;b

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
UnRAID is DIY but once you get it set up it's pretty smooth sailing and very good.

You even get the flexibility to mix and match drive sizes (limited by the size of your parity drive).

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

UnRAID is DIY but once you get it set up it's pretty smooth sailing and very good.

You even get the flexibility to mix and match drive sizes (limited by the size of your parity drive).
I really like the jbod plus parity style for home use. Since it isn't striped, adding a drive only take as long as preclearing and each drive is independently readable in the event of array failure.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Will someone please think of the childrenpedants? All this filthy language, such as using ZIL instead of SLOG is just downright nasty!

I assume you're doing this with per-dataset properties like primarycache/secondarycache=metadata? That will not accomplish exactly what you're saying, since that data can still be evicted in favour of data that is used more recently or more often (or a combination thereof) - and that's quite likely to occur, since the stating directories is not typically done outside of the user doing ls, a httpd or ftpd serving with directory indexing enabled, or some other very use-case specific workload.
The only way to do it, and in such way that you can get additional benefit from streaming I/O of all the data stored on disk, is to use allocation classes - because they were made exactly for this reason, as part of draid. Which also means having to have a mirror of the disks, because if the metadata goes, the pool goes.

quote:

zpool upgrade datastore
zpool upgrade Main-Volume
zpool add datastore cache sds1
zpool add Main-Volume cache sds2
zfs set secondarycache=metadata Main-Volume
zfs set secondarycache=metadata datastore
Is what my history was. From my understanding since there's just the one cache drive and it's metadata that it's used only for metadata and that's why it works. I don't know the internals, I can just show you histograms of backups on specific sets going from 6-9 hours to 18 minutes and staying there in the two months since the change.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Ugh, I hosed up my build...

My old N54L server died with a 6 drive ZFS pool.

So I bought a Fractal Node 304 case, a mini itx mobo and ryzen 5 3600. Stupidly I assumed the CPU came with integrated graphics. So here is my problem, the motherboard has 4 sata ports and one PCI-E slot. I have a SATA card that will give me two additional sata ports but then I can't put a video card in.

So my question is, can I boot to the BIOS and pre-OS environment with a USB video card? If not then it looks like my only option is to sell the 3600 and look for a ryzen 5 chip with integrated graphics. Is this correct?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kiwid posted:

So I bought a Fractal Node 304 case, a mini itx mobo and ryzen 5 3600. Stupidly I assumed the CPU came with integrated graphics. So here is my problem, the motherboard has 4 sata ports and one PCI-E slot. I have a SATA card that will give me two additional sata ports but then I can't put a video card in.

So my question is, can I boot to the BIOS and pre-OS environment with a USB video card? If not then it looks like my only option is to sell the 3600 and look for a ryzen 5 chip with integrated graphics. Is this correct?

You need one of the APU Ryzens for integrated graphics, the zen2 ones are not out yet and it’s fairly limited what you can get if you’re not an OEM. They’re also less beefy than the non APU CPUs iirc (max quad core etc)

One option if you aren’t using the m.2 socket is this bad boy: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=M2_VGA#Specifications

movax
Aug 30, 2008

kiwid posted:

I think you can configure things such that you use the GPU for initial bring up and then leave it out, but I never actually tried it. Had a 3900X build that was similar and just ended up sucking it up and dremeling out a x1 slot.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

priznat posted:

You need one of the APU Ryzens for integrated graphics, the zen2 ones are not out yet and it’s fairly limited what you can get if you’re not an OEM. They’re also less beefy than the non APU CPUs iirc (max quad core etc)

One option if you aren’t using the m.2 socket is this bad boy: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=M2_VGA#Specifications

I'm not using the M.2 slot. That looks interesting. Where can I actually buy it?

edit: is it possible to reduce the drives in a ZFS pool with FreeNas? Maybe considering going down to just 4 drives.

movax posted:

I think you can configure things such that you use the GPU for initial bring up and then leave it out, but I never actually tried it. Had a 3900X build that was similar and just ended up sucking it up and dremeling out a x1 slot.

Yeah I might just set it up with the video card in it then swap it over to the SATA card. The SATA card has an external switch to put it in AHCI mode.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 25, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah that m.2 vga is probably going to be a bit niche to find, we deal with a direct sale vendor at work and they were offering them for $17ea.

Setting up with a gpu then going headless after install is probably going to be the better option just due to it being a pain to find in non b2b.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kiwid posted:

edit: is it possible to reduce the drives in a ZFS pool with FreeNas? Maybe considering going down to just 4 drives.
Unfortunately, no.
You can, however, get a SATA port multipliers, because SATA3 runs at around 550MBps with all overhead accounted for, and spinning rust maxes out at ~160MBps for streaming I/O - so you can run more than one disk off one SATA port.

Does the motherboard not have serial output? It might be easier to find a nullmodem cable and simply do things that way.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Sounds good. I'll go the headless route and work on figuring out a way to recreate the ZFS pool with 4 drives for the future.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

priznat posted:

Yeah that m.2 vga is probably going to be a bit niche to find, we deal with a direct sale vendor at work and they were offering them for $17ea.

Setting up with a gpu then going headless after install is probably going to be the better option just due to it being a pain to find in non b2b.

You could sell as many of those as you wanted on eBay for > $17, fwiw.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
let's explore some dumbass solutions:

1) if your mobo supports pcie bifurcation, then you can bifurcate the lane into 2x8 and run both devices

2) sata expanders exist

3) I have seen at least one m.2 2280 to sata "card" out there

4) I have also seen m.2 to pci-e adaptors

5) that previously mentioned asrock m.2 display card

6) m.2 to u.2 adaptors are pretty common, then u.2 to sas.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good places to buy used custom NAS set ups? Just the rig, not the drives.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
For people running FreeNAS in a VM, where do you store your FreeNAS VM? Right now I have it on another server on an nfs share but I don’t like having the dependencies. I also tried putting random usb flash drives in and I couldn’t get ESX to see it or I’m dumb and couldn’t figure out how to show it correctly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I run ESXi off a SSD that also houses my FreeNAS VM file. The config gets backed up regularly, so I'm not terribly worried about losing that drive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm booting ESXi off a thumb drive, then I have an NVMe SSD for a local VMware data store.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am still wigged out by running ESXi off a USB stick because, USB, but earlier in the thread, I guess it’s still common in production, just gets run out of memory and as long as you back up config, it’s OK, I guess?

Is there a setting on where to shove log files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If the thumb drive fails everything keeps running, but will fail on a reboot.

You can dump log files to a syslog server or a data store. Or just black hole them for home stuff.

Edit, also ESXi config is super minimal, I don't bother backing that up.