Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In case you've been missing it, the combination of the UK's lockdown and imposed-quarantine by the EU has triggered a logistical nightmare. Thousands of trucks cannot leave the country, the M2 to Dover is basically a parking lot, an airfield has been repurposed as an actual parking lot, truckers have been rioting on the docks, demanding to leave, it's a complete and utter shitshow.

Bonus:

https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1341357568606744577

it's like dumbass nationalistic Britons decided to collectively put plastic bags over their heads and now they're wondering why their air's run out. Except they dragged 48% of the country with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was just watching MSNBC (my first mistake) and they were comparing the current situation in the UK as if they were under a "second Blitz."

The loving disconnect there is astonishing. Comparing their outbreak to being under siege by Nazis when, this time, THEY'RE THE NAZIS.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They can't even blame the loving politicians, it was a popular vote, the politicians are just bumbling along executing what the will of the average Briton is.

Who was that dumb fucker in GiP who was saying he voted for brexit so he wouldn't be required to deal with EU labor laws that required him to pay fair wages etc.

Bernard McFacknuttah, that was the idiot, he changed his loving name because he got called out for his dumb bullshit

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange juche posted:

They can't even blame the loving politicians, it was a popular vote, the politicians are just bumbling along executing what the will of the average Briton is.

The average Briton isn’t blameless, let’s not leave the politicians out of this. They sowed and nurtured dragon’s teeth. The referendum was a game of chicken to boost their careers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The average Briton isn’t blameless, let’s not leave the politicians out of this. They sowed and nurtured dragon’s teeth. The referendum was a game of chicken to boost their careers.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fuckin UKPOL thread is lit tho

mrmcd posted:

GBBO 2023 Season is just 6 sundowning british grans and 1 aloof fit mum trying to hammer hardtack into something edible and frosting with reduced beetroot juice. Immediately vote the viewing public favourite season because "ayy we eh finnaly got rid of dem foreigners and poofs."

https://twitter.com/Ottojizzmark/status/1341498146984251392?s=20

also Lufthansa is taking pity on the plight of the starving Brit

quote:

Germany's Lufthansa is airlifting fresh fruit and vegetables to the UK on Wednesday as firms seek to beat the lorry chaos at sea ports

The airline said it is carrying 80 tonnes of food from Frankfurt to Doncaster Sheffield Airport for grocers including Tesco and Sainsbury's.

Almost 3,000 lorries remain stuck in Kent despite moves to re-start cross-Channel access from Dover.

There are concerns that testing drivers for Covid could delay food supplies.

France shut its border with the UK on Sunday for 48 hours to stop the spread of a new variant of the coronavirus found in the UK.

"Lufthansa Cargo is currently examining whether additional special cargo flights can be offered during the next days. We are also checking if a regular flight might be possible," a spokeswoman told the BBC.

"This could be with a freighter, but we are also examining if we could use passenger aircraft for freight flights only," she added.

Lufthansa said the delivery, sent by freight firm Venus International Transport, was destined for Tesco, Sainbury's, the Co-op and Aldi.

it's the reverse Berlin Airlift

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 24, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The last remaining Thatcherites finally get to hang themselves and everyone else with the bootstraps she always told themselves up by.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Fuckin UKPOL thread is lit tho

https://twitter.com/Ottojizzmark/status/1341498146984251392?s=20

also Lufthansa is taking pity on the plight of the starving Brit

this is amazing

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Current event - Merry Christmas Eve you dickholes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drK9RyKmc1A

My gift to you all

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I feel really bad for the lorry drivers though, a lot of them are EU citizens and are trapped on that cold shitheap rock with the Brexiters, and the Brits haven't even seen fit to provide them with sanitary facilities, or food and water.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

orange juche posted:

I feel really bad for the lorry drivers though, a lot of them are EU citizens and are trapped on that cold shitheap rock with the Brexiters, and the Brits haven't even seen fit to provide them with sanitary facilities, or food and water.

On Christmas Eve.

Wars have started for less lol. Good thing they're an integral member of the EU making any war inconcev... huh.
Oops.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

On Christmas Eve.

Wars have started for less lol. Good thing they're an integral member of the EU making any war inconcev... huh.
Oops.

Good news is the local Sikh temple decided to take pity on the poor lorry drivers

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/23/uk-sikh-groups-rally-to-feed-stranded-truck-drivers

quote:

COVID travel ban: UK Sikhs feed stranded truck drivers
Thousands of Europe-bound trucks are held up in southeastern England amid fears over a new COVID strain.

British Sikhs have delivered chickpea curries and pasta meals for free to hundreds of France-bound truck drivers stranded in the United Kingdom, a widely praised gesture that is rooted in tradition.

Much of Europe, including France, this week banned travellers and freight from the UK after the discovery of a new, more transmissible variant of COVID-19 that is tearing through London and the southeastern county of Kent.

On Tuesday, UK officials said there were 632 trucks stacked up on the M20 motorway in Kent as part of an emergency operation using parts of the motorway to queue trucks travelling towards Europe. There were also 2,188 at the nearby Manston Airport, which is now being used as a giant parking zone.

Responding to the crisis, meanwhile, Sikh groups rallied together to provide hundreds of free meals for the drivers affected.

In Sikh culture, the langar, or community kitchen, is offered by temples, and gives out free meals to people regardless of their faith or background.

Working in tandem, the Sikh community at the Guru Nanak Darbar temple in Gravesend, Kent, and NGO Khalsa Aid delivered some 500 chickpea curries and 300 mushroom and pasta dishes late on Tuesday.

Their efforts won praise on social media, with Twitter users lauding the groups’ “kindness” and “humanity”.

“Whilst some say ‘so what, they are mostly EU drivers anyway’, proper Brits get out and help those in need. Thank you to all who have come to the aid of stranded truckers, you are the best of Britain,” Andy Conway Morris wrote.

Anas Sarwar, a member of the Scottish Parliament, added: “This is kindness. This is humanity. This is Britain.”

Others thanked the Sikh volunteers for the “immeasurable kindness” shown and complimented those who participated as “kind-hearted souls”.

Khalsa Aid said it would resume its charitable work along the M20 on Wednesday.

France has committed to partially lifting the travel ban on Wednesday.

Industry body the Road Haulage Association had raised concerns about the drivers’ welfare, with access to food and water in particularly short supply for those stuck in the snaking queues on the M20, the motorway that will eventually take them to the port of Dover and onwards to France.

SOURCE : AL JAZEERA

https://twitter.com/Khalsa_Aid/status/1341393418291998723?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sikhs might be the only religion in the world that isn't poo poo.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Thanks for that post. It's so on the nose for our times it's beyond belief.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

On Christmas Eve.

Oops.

1. What wars?

2. Not sure which NATO power is ready to leave NATO by initiating an attack on a NATO member in defense of the rights of truck drivers caught in a political shitslide.
Edit: or I guess which non NATO nation is interested in rolling the dice.

piL fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 24, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

1. What wars?

2. Not sure which NATO power is ready to leave NATO by initiating an attack on a NATO member in defense of the rights of truck drivers caught in a political shitslide.

Nobody's starting any wars over truck drivers, not assisting the truck drivers that are stranded on UK soil because France closed the Chunnel is pretty poo poo though, the UK government should be helping them out (at least providing some basic food, clean water, and sanitary facilities) since their policies put them in the lurch they're in.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There exists elements of the British populace who think a lovely cold rock can be self-sufficient. Britain hasn't been self sufficient since the loving middle ages, that's why they started loving colonies, because Britain is a lovely cold rock that can't grow food for its population.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Britain was a money sink for the Romans.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

piL posted:

1. What wars?

:thejoke:
More a comment on the state of the UK than anything. The complete and utter dickishness which just ends up hitting them in the dick over and over and over. It hurts everyone that has to deal with them too so there's anger there

Technically, maybe the football war but that's a stretch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

if it goes on long enough, you might see Viking aiders come rescuing up and down the coast of England, distributing piles of cod, herring, literature, IKEA furniture and woolly jumpers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Britain was a money sink for the Romans.

Britain was a mistake

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kesper North posted:

if it goes on long enough, you might see Viking aiders come rescuing up and down the coast of England, distributing piles of cod, herring, literature, IKEA furniture and woolly jumpers.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Only after they agree to eat all the Scandinavian delicacies like salmiak and surstromming and film it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

Britain was a mistake

Rue Britannia?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Only after they agree to eat all the Scandinavian delicacies like salmiak and surstromming and film it.

the lager-swilling rugby hooligans get nothing but cubes of ripest hákarl

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Surströmming is getting a bad rap from all those videos. Do it correctly and work yourself up. It's good stuff. And goes very well with brännvin/vodka.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is basically how the new Assassin’s Creed portrays it

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Rue Britannia?

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fallom posted:

This is basically how the new Assassin’s Creed portrays it

Grr, these templars keep beating us!

*wipes blood off sword*

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1342130907113783302?s=20

Working hard, thanks!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

There exists elements of the British populace who think a lovely cold rock can be self-sufficient. Britain hasn't been self sufficient since the loving middle ages, that's why they started loving colonies, because Britain is a lovely cold rock that can't grow food for its population.

I nearly fell out of my chair at the Scottish member of parliament saying that "kindness and humanity" were core British traits.

Did you forget the entirety of history? Kindness certainly isn't a British trait, and I'm pretty sure most of the world would be able to provide stong arguments they aren't human

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Britannia! Waive the rules!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1342138967865479169?s=21

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You know you're a poo poo person when you're trending on Twitter for your final broadcast of the year while dealing with terminal cancer and most of the top Tweets celebrate your illness.

Merry Christmas, Rush.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

You know you're a poo poo person when you're trending on Twitter for your final broadcast of the year while dealing with terminal cancer and most of the top Tweets celebrate your illness.

Merry Christmas, Rush.

When I saw Rush was trending I got very disappointed that old bastard wasn't dead. But then again, tomorrow is a new day and hope springs eternal.

The old dog is very close to how our dog is now, just naps and lays about

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nick Soapdish posted:

When I saw Rush was trending I got very disappointed that old bastard wasn't dead. But then again, tomorrow is a new day and hope springs eternal.

:same:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kesper North posted:

Rue Britannia?

Platystemon posted:

Britannia! Waive the rules!

:golfclap:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1341980826653794305

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Rush

https://twitter.com/w7voa/status/1342155680803917826?s=21

https://twitter.com/w7voa/status/1342156136569516034?s=21