Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

christmas boots posted:

thats what he calls his penis

"Loss Leader" or "The Expanse"? I think the former is most accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

No one said it was worth heirs.

i didnt either. i dont think its worth him meeting people, or being around in the world.

there are a ton of movies and series and books that you can watch without giving money to a rich weirdo ... so if you do watch a thing, just pls dont also run promotion for him

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fondue posted:

His desire to get his dick wet cost him $62 billion. That might be the most destructive penis since Paris of Troy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

At its height about a decade ago, Pirate Trading LLC was selling more than $3.5 million a year of its Ravelli-brand camera tripods—one of its bestselling products—on Amazon, said owner Dalen Thomas.

In 2011, Amazon began launching its own versions of six of Pirate Trading’s top-selling tripods under its AmazonBasics label, he said. Mr. Thomas ordered one of the Amazon tripods and found it had the same components and shared Pirate Trading’s design. For its AmazonBasics products, Amazon used the same manufacturer that Pirate Trading had used.

Amazon priced one of its clone tripods below what Mr. Thomas paid his manufacturer to have Pirate Trading’s version made, he said. He determined it would be cheaper to buy Amazon’s versions, repackage and resell them than to buy and sell them on the terms he had been getting; he decided not to do that.

Amazon suspended Pirate Trading camera tripod models that competed with the AmazonBasics versions repeatedly, Mr. Thomas said, alleging his tripods had authenticity issues. Amazon rarely suspended the tripod models that didn’t compete with AmazonBasics versions, he said. In 2015, Amazon suspended all Ravelli products, he said, and even though the suspension ended, his company’s tripod business is now a fraction of the size it was. Mr. Thomas said he found being a seller on Amazon too risky and has largely pivoted to real-estate investing.

are we supposed to feel bad about this guy? he’s a landlord that dabbled in an import business! Amazon just went to the actual people that made the product and ordered more

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

hobbesmaster posted:

are we supposed to feel bad about this guy? he’s a landlord that dabbled in an import business! Amazon just went to the actual people that made the product and ordered more

amazon is like the tripod landlord dude but on a scale we can barely comprehend and in ways we can hardly imagine

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Dec 24, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

It's possible for there to be no heroes in a story only degrees of evil.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

who cares about the guy, but it makes it clear that you cant start selling stuff on amazon unless youre too big to gently caress with

i guess its just another emphasis on the monopoly poo poo cake

pretty soon, the rich wont even have to care about competition monopoly whatever, cause theyre only one guy in a bare room owning more than half the world

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the ancap dream

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

who cares about the guy, but it makes it clear that you cant start selling stuff on amazon unless youre too big to gently caress with

if the guy was actually making something Amazon wouldn’t be able to go to the actual maker and put in an order

he’s competing with Amazon on arbitrage between alibaba and Amazon. it’s a simple thing to do with a modest amount of startup capital which is why there’s a zillion “brands” for some products that look uuids

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are we even sure that Amazon approached the fabricator and not vice versa?

They could have seen the advantages in eliminating the middleman.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

if the guy was actually making something Amazon wouldn’t be able to go to the actual maker and put in an order

he’s competing with Amazon on arbitrage between alibaba and Amazon. it’s a simple thing to do with a modest amount of startup capital which is why there’s a zillion “brands” for some products that look uuids

yea, arbitrage means "I got there first" but Amazon is there first always for everyone

you cannot start a small business and rise above the muck or whatever, because they are using 19th century techniques and they still work.

there is no future. this is the end of history

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

Are we even sure that Amazon approached the fabricator and not vice versa?

They could have seen the advantages in eliminating the middleman.

it doesn't matter if this counts, there are tons of examples of anticompetitive behavior

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

that's not even close to the most ridiculous way that big platforms have been screwing small vendors who can't do anything about it

my favorite is that if a restaurant refuses to sign on with big food delivery platforms, some of them will set up a fake website for that restaurant, complete with the delivery service's phone number and order form. of course, they don't update it regularly, so if the restaurant changes their menu, they'll get lots of angry reviews from customers who saw the old menu on the fake site, ordered, and only discovered later that what they wanted is no longer on the menu

I worked at a family owned and run cinema and we had the same problem. People freaking out over us not having sessions at the 'listed time' on one of many sites that just trawl and collate from online sources. Google of course gives most of them a higher search ranking than the actual business.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i recall that the recent legal dogma is essentially is that its not a monopoly if it results in low prices

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Low prices to you, friend.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it's almost like we're in the prologue to a cyberpunk dystopia or something and amazon crushing it's equally rent seeking competition is bad because it means amazon is now more powerful and controls an increasing amount of our poorly designed production system for goods.

one big landlord is a better coordinated, better planned, and better at fighting than the multitude of tiny landlords all trying to gently caress over each other instead of only the left.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

You don't have to worry about Amazon. Products from Amazon are made in China and the coming cold war with China will greatly hamper trade. Crushing their profits will definitely happen before the industrial military complex gives up that gravy train.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fondue posted:

I like The Expanse, good acting and it grows really big over time, even if it takes a bit of meandering to get into the payoff moment inside my Venus

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if there are serious consumer goods tariffs imposed on china i will be both pleasantly surprised and deeply concerned, because it means that one of the big promises of globalisation - you won't make more money, but stuff will be cheaper - is broken, but by the dodgiest people in the land

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

lollontee posted:

I like The Expanse, good acting and it grows really big over time, even if it takes a bit of meandering to get into the payoff moment inside my Venus

It is quality escapism and raises interesting social questions and is scientifically sound, the only thing that we don't have (except for the One Big Lie) today is really efficient engines so we can travel directly to a place instead of using curves to conserve delta v.

This kinda poo poo is all that gets me through this poo poo life so I don't care who's vanity project it is.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Like, the one argument for the existence of the hyperrich that I can even engage with is that they can patronize the arts. TV and movies are the dominant popular art of our time, just because it is popular doesn't mean it is bad.

Shakespeare was "pop" in his time, in fact most of his work is based on pirated copies

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Regardless how you feel about this guy, Amazon getting free a/b product testing off the bavks of its own merchants is supremely hosed up

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

exmachina posted:

Like, the one argument for the existence of the hyperrich that I can even engage with is that they can patronize the arts. TV and movies are the dominant popular art of our time, just because it is popular doesn't mean it is bad.

Shakespeare was "pop" in his time, in fact most of his work is based on pirated copies

Workers could patronize the arts too if they controlled society's wealth.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

if there are serious consumer goods tariffs imposed on china i will be both pleasantly surprised and deeply concerned, because it means that one of the big promises of globalisation - you won't make more money, but stuff will be cheaper - is broken, but by the dodgiest people in the land

it wont be the neoliberals who do it, it will be China. just a little extra push to throw america into civil war, so they can grab Taiwan in the confusion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bring back the aediles.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Regardless how you feel about this guy, Amazon getting free a/b product testing off the bavks of its own merchants is supremely hosed up

Why? You know what you're signing up for when you do business with Amazon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't really care if Amazon is owning all the lovely small time drop shippers and arbiters. Amazon itself is just the biggest fish in the arbitrage pond.

its not like Amazon is driving real innovators out of business. patents still exist, all they are doing is cutting out middle men between you and the Chinese guy who makes your stuff

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

exmachina posted:

It is quality escapism and raises interesting social questions and is scientifically sound, the only thing that we don't have (except for the One Big Lie) today is really efficient engines so we can travel directly to a place instead of using curves to conserve delta v.

This kinda poo poo is all that gets me through this poo poo life so I don't care who's vanity project it is.

It's a shame Hillary killed Jeffrey Epstein before he could invent the magic rocket engine

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

His desire to get his dick wet cost him $62 billion. That might be the most destructive penis since Paris of Troy.

she's been giving away a lot of money too, so Jeff's dick is indirectly responsible for a massive act of charity. she's still richer than God though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

exmachina posted:

The show still shows elliptical orbits. The engine meant that going into space outside of vanity projects like colonizing Mars was now feasible, because now you don't have to dedicate most of your ship to fuel, and you can do stuff like harvest ice asteroids.

As an aside, the closest thing I've seen to The Expanse: Space Combat: The Game is Children of a Dead Earth. If you're interested in plotting missile intercepts in retrograde orbits, do check it out.

Volmarias has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Dec 24, 2020

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Pro wrestling is already the art of the people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

T-man posted:

going in and out of the ring gates all night

hoping he ends up like Maneo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ships in The Expanse use constant acceleration trajectories, where the acceleration is usually one‐sixth to one g.

This is basically as good as it gets with humans aboard. Even if the engine and propellant allowed the ship to pull ten g for days on end, our bodies couldn’t take it.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Volmarias posted:

As an aside, the closest thing I've seen to The Expanse: Space Combat: The Game is Children of a Dead Earth. If you're interested in plotting missile intercepts in retrograde orbits, do check it out.

btw this is $2.50 for the next two weeks
https://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Ships in The Expanse use constant acceleration trajectories, where the acceleration is usually one‐sixth to one g.

This is basically as good as it gets with humans aboard. Even if the engine and propellant allowed the ship to pull ten g for days on end, our bodies couldn’t take it.

Unless we genetically engineer swolesmonauts

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

T-man posted:

one big landlord is a better coordinated, better planned, and better at fighting than the multitude of tiny landlords all trying to gently caress over each other instead of only the left.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is the current social function of furries.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

this reddit front page pairing felt apropos for this thread

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

exmachina posted:

The art they patronize is used solely to hide money. Buy a worthless piece of poo poo for 5mil and your cash is turned into a permanently valuable and untaxable asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/lolonghi/status/1341863667290140672?s=20