Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Cnidaria posted:

Are there even "New Atheists" anymore?

Just the Amazing Atheist fedora crowd. It all kinda collapsed after Elevatorgate, and intersectionality put nails in the coffin. Progressive atheists realized they had more in common with a lot of moderate religious people and even clergy then they did with the Thunderf33t and Dorkinses, and left them to inherit the ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

and a fair chunk of the "centerist"/conservative new atheists just got hooked on mra, peterson, and nazi poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Syd Midnight posted:

Just the Amazing Atheist fedora crowd. It all kinda collapsed after Elevatorgate, and intersectionality put nails in the coffin. Progressive atheists realized they had more in common with a lot of moderate religious people and even clergy then they did with the Thunderf33t and Dorkinses, and left them to inherit the ashes.

Behold, the atheism scholar

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Smythe posted:

Behold, the atheism scholar

im sure one day you're know something if you work hard at it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

T-man posted:

and a fair chunk of the "centerist"/conservative new atheists just got hooked on mra, peterson, and nazi poo poo.

And a ton of them are coming around into whatever religion they think is reactionary enough for them

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
dawkins' "serious" work is arguing that culture works like genes. what a dumb bitch lol.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

exmarx posted:

dawkins' "serious" work is arguing that culture works like genes. what a dumb bitch lol.

he should try to figure out the connection between truckin and fuckin

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Memes are the genes of the soul?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ClbkTeCyw

MEMES, SON!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I attended a richard dawkins lecture at a university and it wasn't too bad, my main take-away was, "Holy poo poo everyone is socially isolated and nobody knows their neighbors anymore, what with the new digital. society (as we know it) is doomed!" and yeah he was pretty much correct. Dude definitely has a penchant for self-bullying behavior however and is remarkably unlikable, lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Where they get it wrong is the social atomisation and isolation predates the internet, which if anything has been a mitigating effect. It already started with the boomers and their nuclear families who see all their neighbours as nuisances at best.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

exmarx posted:

No, that was an aside that became overblown. His best work is the selfish gene and the extended phenotype, which have a lot of predictive power and are an interesting insight into evolution and game theory can be used to model it.

His politics poo poo is trite and aged terribly. Another example of scientists thinking their expertise in one area is transitive to other fields.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where they get it wrong is the social atomisation and isolation predates the internet, which if anything has been a mitigating effect. It already started with the boomers and their nuclear families who see all their neighbours as nuisances at best.

I agree, I'd say that the internet has simply exposed the existing trends but all I have are my own anecdotes. When I was a kid my mom literally sent me next door with an empty measuring cup to borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor. I had seen a similar episode on TV so I sort of knew how the script was supposed to play out, and I remember I successfully got an egg or sugar or whatever.

I can't loving imagine doing that with any of my apartment neighbors. Perhaps I'm just anti-social but I don't bake a plate of cookies and introduce myself to my new neighbors with a smile and firm handshake when I move in. I mean I'll wave at them and say hi if I happen to see them in the parking lot or on a garbage run but it's pretty casual. We all just sort of accept that we share walls and have to put up with the current circumstances and don't ask favors. That's probably a sad thing and an erosion of the vaunted public house where working class peeps of the neighborhood congregated to increase solidarity. Eh I'm sure it's fine, probably just the way this particular apartment complex operates.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Dec 24, 2020

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
read lewontin & gould rather than dawkins imo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/urinalshitter/status/1341956770772574209?s=20

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Your senses begin to recover from the flashbang. Over the shouting you can barely make out "we're here to rescue you, cant you read? It's right there on the side of t-" before the butt of a rifle knocks you unconscious.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my soul hurts

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fww4Md5pKQ8

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
A lot of people who loudly identified as atheists 10 years ago were mainly doing it because they hate Muslims and thought they could hide behind a smokescreen of "disliking *all* religions".

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

exmachina posted:

No, that was an aside that became overblown. His best work is the selfish gene and the extended phenotype, which have a lot of predictive power and are an interesting insight into evolution and game theory can be used to model it.

yea, if selfish gene theory doesn't sound very sciencey or groundbreaking now, look up the competing sciencey meaning-of-life stuff from the 70s like gaia theory.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

read lewontin & gould rather than dawkins imo.

lewontin pwns... a career making evolutionary psychologists and race scientists melt down.

his review of the selfish gene casually ethers a deece portion of c-spam too lol:

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

exmarx posted:

lewontin pwns... a career making evolutionary psychologists and race scientists melt down.

his review of the selfish gene casually ethers a deece portion of c-spam too lol:

his entire deal is good. i was just re-listening to a lecture series he did, even. very good rejection of dawkins (and most epic science ftw) politics in general too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8kL5TTRtA

highly rec if you haven't listened to it before

edit: i read the review and lol this paragraph got a good laugh outta me

elaboration has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Dec 24, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

palindrome posted:

I agree, I'd say that the internet has simply exposed the existing trends but all I have are my own anecdotes. When I was a kid my mom literally sent me next door with an empty measuring cup to borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor. I had seen a similar episode on TV so I sort of knew how the script was supposed to play out, and I remember I successfully got an egg or sugar or whatever.

I can't loving imagine doing that with any of my apartment neighbors. Perhaps I'm just anti-social but I don't bake a plate of cookies and introduce myself to my new neighbors with a smile and firm handshake when I move in. I mean I'll wave at them and say hi if I happen to see them in the parking lot or on a garbage run but it's pretty casual. We all just sort of accept that we share walls and have to put up with the current circumstances and don't ask favors. That's probably a sad thing and an erosion of the vaunted public house where working class peeps of the neighborhood congregated to increase solidarity. Eh I'm sure it's fine, probably just the way this particular apartment complex operates.

I offered to babysit for a current neighbor a few times. They didn't take me up on that offer, but they did day they appreciated it and may take me up on it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Clowns always want to be playing army but gently caress up the easiest rule: uniformity.

They want all the toys and all the fun but no risk of danger or sacrifice.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I live in a fourplex in Chicago. My upstairs neighbor has a kid who runs around sometimes, but on the other hand hooks me up with free weed products and baby stuff for my newborn. This happened because i hung out on my porch smoking weed before the kid was born (also before quarantine) and we struck up idle conversation.

My view is that we don't have enough public space.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Main problem now is the realities of rent and lack of financial stability means a lot of people are expecting to move every few years- little point knowing your neighbours when you have no idea how long they'll be around.

That and boomers kept all their kids inside for fear of satanic pedophiles and moved where there's no sidewalks or corner stores so there's no way for kids to get to know other kids in the neighbourhood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

I think we just somehow topped the 'The Holocaust Never Happened' death message

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

exmachina posted:

His politics poo poo is trite and aged terribly. Another example of scientists thinking their expertise in one area is transitive to other fields.

That's right. Memes happened to be the idea that took off with the public but have got little academic traction. There's an essay by Mary Midgely where she demolishes memes, not for being wrong but for not being a useful idea.

Dawkins tends to be scathing about religions in a selective way. He's never said anything about Anglicism, odd since he comes from a family rooted in it. It's okay to be religious, as long as its tea with the vicar in middle England.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

indigi posted:

the priest who taught me Latin in high school would end every class on Friday by telling us not to mix drugs and alcohol and make sure to use condoms. I’m pretty sure he should have been censured

jumping in to say that actually, being cross faded owns

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

exmarx posted:

Lol ftw

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

it includes her especially

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

it includes her especially

a cop is a cop, even if the cop is wearing gently caress-me platform boots.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought she just was the corpse dissector/autopsyer, are those guys bastards too?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Junpei posted:

I thought she just was the corpse dissector/autopsyer, are those guys bastards too?

To the extent that they serve as a rationale for the continued existence of the police as we know them, yes

And in her case as copoganda she perpetuates the notion that those people are 1. Competent and 2. Committed to justly solving crimes and not, you know, just doing paperwork, crunching department stats, and disposing of the collateral damage

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/PUNISHEDASH/status/1341972175327285250

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
just checked she was more general forensics/tech stuff, you know, bullet analysis, fingerprints, 'trace the IP address'

Not defending the goth girl just providing info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Junpei posted:

just checked she was more general forensics/tech stuff, you know, bullet analysis, fingerprints, 'trace the IP address'

Not defending the goth girl just providing info

Tech support for pigs is still pig work