Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Then why would you choose to do so in the middle of a conversation where people are talking about how to play WHM optimally?

Because I felt like posting.

EDIT:

Picture time

Ither fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's good for people to post about how they like to play, even if they're wrong :)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Ither posted:

Picture time
A WoL who is clearly perpetually terrified and/or bewildered by the direction their life has done.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's good for people to post about how they like to play, even if they're wrong :)

Just so long as everyone else tells them they're wrong, as loudly and as often as possible.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cleretic posted:

Both of the SB expansions have one job that they explain well, and one job that they really don't. The good ones are SAM and GNB, the bads are RDM and DNC.

:psyduck:

DNC's level 60 job quest starts off with a solo duty where the NPC literally walks you through how to play the class step by step. GNB, on the other hand, dumps a bunch of skills on your bar and throws you into a solo duty where you run around Gridania and you have to figure out how to play from there. Also, like others said, the job NPC tries as hard as humanly possible to rip threat from you.

SAM, as I recall, does the same thing GNB does. It just goes "good luck figuring it out fucker!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DoubleNegative posted:

SAM, as I recall, does the same thing GNB does. It just goes "good luck figuring it out fucker!"

lol yeah SAM was kinda confusing to pick up at the beginning, maybe it's easier if you know Japanese.

It didn't really click for me until someone straight-up told me "hey the icons look like a flower, moon, and snowflake, and they are color-coded with the respective ability too"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Roluth posted:

E9S done! Not too hard a fight, once you get used to Empty Plane and not stepping on each other's toes.

:yeah:

we also cleared e9s tonight :unsmith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DoubleNegative posted:

:psyduck:

DNC's level 60 job quest starts off with a solo duty where the NPC literally walks you through how to play the class step by step. GNB, on the other hand, dumps a bunch of skills on your bar and throws you into a solo duty where you run around Gridania and you have to figure out how to play from there. Also, like others said, the job NPC tries as hard as humanly possible to rip threat from you.

There's a couple reasons I think GNB is adequate for what it is.

1. The nature of tanking changes basically every expansion, so the best they could feasibly do is give you a vague rundown and leave the rest to you, because if they went into more detail than that it'd be invalidated come 6.0.

2. It's a level 60 job, and frankly, you should probably understand the basics of a role on your own time if you're jumping into a job from it at level 60. To be honest, I still don't think they should be giving us jobs at level 60.

Leaving the basics of tanking off the table, I think GNB's is fine in the same way SAM's is fine; they're both very combo-focused jobs, with the payoffs being very self-explanatory, so the best they could've done is give you a bunch of relatively nonthreatening targets for you to learn those combos against. XIV's combo system is extremely easy to understand, so both SAM and GNB have a very easy job, but they do that job well.

DNC drills what you're doing into you, but doesn't explain enough of the why, for a job where the 'why' is actually moderately nuanced and has elements you won't immediately understand. I had about ten minutes' worth of questions for friends when I finished the initial DNC quest, because it explained so little of its actual mechanics. They weren't complicated questions, but they were questions the game didn't answer, and I was wary of another 'Red Mage who doesn't know about Jolt' situation. Which I would've been in, because one of the crucial things the game never mentions is that the Steps do shitloads of damage and yet the intro quest wants you to only use it as setup for combat.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 24, 2020

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol yeah SAM was kinda confusing to pick up at the beginning, maybe it's easier if you know Japanese.

It didn't really click for me until someone straight-up told me "hey the icons look like a flower, moon, and snowflake, and they are color-coded with the respective ability too"

I put the three SAM combos in directions relative to their markers. That way you don't have to learn the skill names, just right combo, left combo, center combo, and resulting big stick.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Heh, I did the same thing.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

Prompted by some discussion in the CGB Discord, I went ahead and tallied up all the unique prize items that you can get from bicolour gems. That's the minions, music rolls, bardings, riding maps and triple triad cards. (So excluding any of the housing items, and the overpriced materia and whatnot.)

The cost? 11390 bicolour gems.

That's 950 fates.

Which is almost two and two-thirds times the number of fates you'll do maxing out the six regions.

That is entirely too many fates.

Once you get the title there's literally no reason to do any ShB fates besides Formidable and Archaeotania, which give 72 gems per completion or almost as much per failure. Join the hunt Discord or a CWL for your data center, people shout them out all the time.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Astrologian's my last healer, so naturally I bring them into Aurum Vale wearing trash gear since they're only 47. We get into the instance, kill a solo large frog, then line up on the left side. Dark Knight tank hits sprint, I hit sprint after him. I notice he's pulling three packs, including two of those goddamn flowers. The double flower pull is enough to bring an unsynced healer to their knees, but nope, we're getting two packs on top of it. Tank pulls all three groups into the boss arena and tucks in the left. I put an aspected benefic on him after he pulled the second group. I stop moving, cast essential dignity on him, hit lightspeed and spammed benefic II. Tank dies 8 seconds later and ragequits the party 1 second after that.

What was he expecting? I honestly couldn't squeeze out another ounce of healing. Maybe if he was a class that had decent mitigation abilities he could've lived, but dark knight pre-70? No loving way was he going to live unless our two dps were red mages also healing him(they weren't). We got a replacement dark knight tank instantly and finished the dungeon without issue. Did he just assume that everyone in the dungeon was synced down? I don't even think I could've healed that pull as a synced down white mage.

What's the penalty for dropping from a group 60 seconds after you join it? Is it just one of your 3 didn't ready up penalties per day?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Frida Call Me posted:

Astrologian's my last healer, so naturally I bring them into Aurum Vale wearing trash gear since they're only 47. We get into the instance, kill a solo large frog, then line up on the left side. Dark Knight tank hits sprint, I hit sprint after him. I notice he's pulling three packs, including two of those goddamn flowers. The double flower pull is enough to bring an unsynced healer to their knees, but nope, we're getting two packs on top of it. Tank pulls all three groups into the boss arena and tucks in the left. I put an aspected benefic on him after he pulled the second group. I stop moving, cast essential dignity on him, hit lightspeed and spammed benefic II. Tank dies 8 seconds later and ragequits the party 1 second after that.

What was he expecting? I honestly couldn't squeeze out another ounce of healing. Maybe if he was a class that had decent mitigation abilities he could've lived, but dark knight pre-70? No loving way was he going to live unless our two dps were red mages also healing him(they weren't). We got a replacement dark knight tank instantly and finished the dungeon without issue. Did he just assume that everyone in the dungeon was synced down? I don't even think I could've healed that pull as a synced down white mage.

What's the penalty for dropping from a group 60 seconds after you join it? Is it just one of your 3 didn't ready up penalties per day?

If you're the first one to leave a party you get an automatic 30 minute DF lockout.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

A WoL who is clearly perpetually terrified and/or bewildered by the direction their life has done.

lol was gonna say this baby faced guy looks way in over his head

Frida Call Me posted:

I had a tank drop after the first pull in Relict yesterday. Nobody even died, maybe we didn't DPS fast enough? Either way, everyone was weirded out.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I mean, look at that WoL, he's two children in a trench coat

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

The prettiest catdad

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Frida Call Me posted:

ARR dungeons really bring out the worst in some tanks. They will just pull everything before every boss, even if gets them killed or you end up having to run back for mechanical reasons (Toto-Rak) because they're impatient and want to show off how tough they are.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Begemot posted:

ARR dungeons really bring out the worst in some tanks. They will just pull everything before every boss, even if gets them killed or you end up having to run back for mechanical reasons (Toto-Rak) because they're impatient and want to show off how tough they are.

I had one of these in Hatali on White Mage the other day and it was kinda funny seeing them get so pissed at dying. Literally the only button I have to heal you with is Cure, if you wall pull and are eating more dps from 16 mobs than I can heal through unboosted Cure spam then you have brought this fate upon yourself!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Actually had a budding tank go down more of a right-middle side on that Aurum Vale room, pull everything... and we survived.
The healer was making some very unhappy noises afterwards. Some of which may have been on me since dance finishing
steps do tend to pull stuff on mistake on occasion.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I remember people doing sac pulls for first room of AV before (I think it was for zodiac?)

It's a much less fun gimmick pull than crystal room of Darkhold.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

On the flipside, as a tank I've announced that I'm gonna try that big AV pull along the left, gave everyone a few seconds to get ready, ran through, popped my cooldowns at reasonable times.... and the healer, who had easily kept up with me, stood there and didn't cast a single heal. After we died they said in chat "not sure what you were trying to accomplish there" so I took my ball and went home. I've also had it go smoothly like 5 times. It's usually more of a question of people being able to kill stuff reasonably fast than the healers having insane heals per second, but man nothing annoys me more than the attitude of "I've decided you shouldn't be doing this, so I'll not heal to prove that you're wrong."

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Those cutter insects in Halitali hit surprisingly hard and sometimes you get a person new to tanking but not new to the game who tries to tank 6-8 of them which will result in a death if the DPS isn't on the ball. Used to be that you would save LB for one particular part where you can pull 3 of them together and a caster LB will kill them, but people don't seem to bother anymore.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

Prompted by some discussion in the CGB Discord, I went ahead and tallied up all the unique prize items that you can get from bicolour gems. That's the minions, music rolls, bardings, riding maps and triple triad cards. (So excluding any of the housing items, and the overpriced materia and whatnot.)

That's 950 fates.

Which is almost two and two-thirds times the number of fates you'll do maxing out the six regions.

this is really good info to know, thanks. I'm kind of cooling on bozja in general and I know xp/min is crazy fast there but I'll probably get in on some gem parties since I'm basically at zero to level some 70 jobs

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Frida Call Me posted:

No loving way was he going to live unless our two dps were red mages also healing him(they weren't).
This wouldn't have helped either, because vercure wouldn't have been available.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks for the anecdotes they help me feel like less of an awful healer

AngusPodgorny posted:

This wouldn't have helped either, because vercure wouldn't have been available.

Oh, you're right, vercure 54 and AV is 47. I should really level RDM.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yapping Eevee posted:

That's 950 fates.

Wow why would they put in some long term goals and a plethora of things to buy that you can do chunk by chunk or just get what you want and stop to ensure that there's at least always a little reward and reason to do FATES? Don't they know that someone might want to 100% FATE Grinding? They should have just put nothing behind them like always.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I’ve gotten Cutters Cry 3 days in a row for LDR and I think it might be the best AAR dungeon. It’s fast and as a tank it’s in the sweet spot where you can do easy big pulls.

Also I like AV now. I’m not sure the correct way to pull the first room but I usually stick to the left side and the patrolling packs seem to just naturally aggro spaced out enough that it isn’t a problem.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wow why would they put in some long term goals and a plethora of things to buy that you can do chunk by chunk or just get what you want and stop to ensure that there's at least always a little reward and reason to do FATES? Don't they know that someone might want to 100% FATE Grinding? They should have just put nothing behind them like always.

:jerkbag: 950 fates is insane and there's no reason for it because I did grind the bi color gems and have everything (well, unless they added more in 5.4, need to check) and it was entirely too much fate grinding and virtually nobody else was doing it. I'd be soloing the fates the majority of the time. The number should, at bare minimum, be half that amount, which would bring it in line with about how many fates the original atma and yokai events took. You know, those 2 events that people complained bitterly and endlessly about at the time because the 40 hours of fate grinding it amounted to was reviled?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Tainen posted:

I’ve gotten Cutters Cry 3 days in a row for LDR and I think it might be the best AAR dungeon. It’s fast and as a tank it’s in the sweet spot where you can do easy big pulls.

Also I like AV now. I’m not sure the correct way to pull the first room but I usually stick to the left side and the patrolling packs seem to just naturally aggro spaced out enough that it isn’t a problem.

Cutter's cry isn't bad at all, plus you can kill extra trash to level even harder. I think Keeper of the Lake is up there, it's one of the first that I noticed where you can't outright ignore boss mechanics. Does 2.5 still count as ARR?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

:jerkbag: 950 fates is insane and there's no reason for it because I did grind the bi color gems and have everything (well, unless they added more in 5.4, need to check) and it was entirely too much fate grinding and virtually nobody else was doing it. I'd be soloing the fates the majority of the time. The number should, at bare minimum, be half that amount, which would bring it in line with about how many fates the original atma and yokai events took. You know, those 2 events that people complained bitterly and endlessly about at the time because the 40 hours of fate grinding it amounted to was reviled?

You didn't even read the post you replied to, did you

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HenryEx posted:

You didn't even read the post you replied to, did you

I would ask you the same? Because I am reasonably certain that Zen was sarcasm posting and saying that it is totally cool and good that we should have to do 950 fates to make sure people are always doing fates and my post is no that's stupid, 950 fates is entirely too many. Even 500 would still be too many but 40ish hours of fate grinding is already something they've asked of us before and I've done it both times so whatever.

Like the bi-color gemstone system is great in concept and they just need to tweak the numbers because if the goal was to keep people doing fates then it apparently failed at that because in the 80 loving hours of fate grinding I did to get all the gem stones, I saw more than 3 people doing fates at any one time only a handful of times and about 70% of the time I was solo. I wouldn't be surprised if other people mathed out the required fates and decided this is stupid and didn't bother. Which was corroborated by the orchestrion rolls, last time I checked, all selling for 1-3 million and all of them only having either 1 or 0 available for sale.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Failboattootoot posted:

I would ask you the same? Because I am reasonably certain that Zen was sarcasm posting and saying that it is totally cool and good that we should have to do 950 fates

Nope you didn't read the post.

You don't HAVE to 100% it and it was never meant to be done like that. It's designed to be a system that you get a bunch of rewards for doing fates that you can buy otherwise and gives you a reason to go "Hmm I'll stop and help that leveling sprout with the fate while I'm here cause that'll give me a bit more towards that one minion I've been eyeballing."

It's not designed to be some check list to make sure get absolutely everything in the game from it and if you approach it like that it is a failure on your part.

And it's an alternative that gives literally any reason to do fates once any better way to level comes out (POTD/Bozja), which is something the game sorely needed and the only way to keep people doing that for a long stretch of time is to give it enough rewards so that there's always something else you could theoretically want to pick up. It's not "OH NO THEY'RE FORCING ME TO DO 1000 FATES TO 100% THIS" it's "Oh there's enough unique rewards that I can always get something out of stopping to help with fates" and it is goblin brained to approach it as the latter because it leads to...well these posts saying "Ugh they're FORCING me to grind fates just to fill out these lists with minions I'll never use." And I know you won't use them, because if there's minions you want specifically, you'll just buy them first and be done with the whole deal, like most players do.

This isn't even like Bozja duels because AFAIK there's no achievement or title tied to buying every single unique reward from the Gemstone traders. It's never presented to the player as something they have to clear out. The fact that just maxing out your FATE levels in each zone only gets you part of the list is kind of the game showing you the opposite of "You need to grind this" since it's saying "Hey you're maxed out, pick out some rewards you like."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 24, 2020

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I’m working all the bicolor items right now, but it’s really about the same as getting all your relics current, which I have also done already.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Frida Call Me posted:

Thanks for the anecdotes they help me feel like less of an awful healer

I'm sure you're fine! If you're trying, poo poo happens, don't stress over wipes. Especially in the last couple of ARR dungeons which can have some squirrelly pulls. The only way I'd call you awful if you were like the person in the above story who has been conditioned to think they're such an important role they can act like a big baby in duty finder.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Aurum Vale is fine, especially compared to ARR dungeons. You can't idiot pull the first room, but after that it's easy and speedrun friendly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Frida Call Me posted:

I don't even think I could've healed that pull as a synced down white mage.
you can. in the last moogle tomestone event av was a stone dungeon and people were speed running it and doing that pull pretty consistently in df.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm still confused as to why they attached the lvl 80 relic weapon quest crystals to heavensward fates. if they were shb fates instead i could be getting memory crystals AND bicolored gems!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

because they just made the trial go up to hw and they want people in those zones making them feel alive so the free players are more likely to stick around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Awesome! posted:

because they just made the trial go up to hw and they want people in those zones making them feel alive so the free players are more likely to stick around

I am not sure fates with full on trains on them are a good experience, either --- stuff just dies too fast.