Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bet he is a big fan of starmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/chienontheloose/status/1342092961086124032?s=20

this guy is a politics professor

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1341805817566285829?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Asking people within a country to publicly expose the deep corruption within that country at any greater level than Private Eye "the rich scratch each others' backs part 7924" is basically like asking them what size ski bag they'd like to be stuffed in, so the best exposés will always come from without, especially since the Guardian got their hard drives smashed.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

I bet he is a big fan of starmer.

He probably eats ready salted crisps out of choice too

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cerv posted:

the actions of the Russian government do extend beyond their own borders, so "I don't live there" is an odd take

I would suggest the actions of the uk government affect my life a lot more than the actions of the Russian one and so its not that odd

Whats the last thing Russia did to us? There's the odd poisoning and the bots I guess.
By contrast, the UK government just won't stop doing things to us.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

marr letting everyone know which minorities are the good minorities

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarr9/status/1341474886192021504?s=20

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Love how someone can post a picture of him spending his free time doing something unequivocally good and still provoke endless responses like this

https://twitter.com/ety50037864/status/1341822566034530304?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tarnop posted:

Here is the BBC's mealy-mouthed response to complaints about giving JK Rowling a Best Up and Coming Transphobe award

If you complained, don't forget to keep escalating until it gets to Ofcom

Can you not just point out that the idea of an award for the quality of Rowling’s writing is patently ridiculous

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jose posted:

marr letting everyone know which minorities are the good minorities

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarr9/status/1341474886192021504?s=20

lol that tweet is weird af

In terms of "what have the Russians ever done to us?", well, um, Brexit? The eternal tory governments? Using London as a key money-laundering hub. Quite a lot, really.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think brexit or tories are russia's fault.

That's like piling up a bunch of petrol and grenades in front of the door and then yelling at the person who opened it for the explosion.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

They might not have started the car fire of brexit/trump etc but it's pretty clear they fanned the flames in a big way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the document got deleted but he tweeted screenshots in the replies lol

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1342027647052894208?s=20

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He's even wearing office shoes to climb it - gently caress's sake he's not even trying to make it look remotely real,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't see a reason to disparage the british people's ability to make terrible decisions indepedently.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so when very little changes in peoples lives after this trade deal gets signed the tories are going to gain a ton of support right becuase they delivered brexit and its not gone bad after everything remainers said

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The start of BellingCat is fine, the social media posting and exposition of Russian actions in Ukraine was important and valuable. Everyone has to start on a particular event with its own politics but to then continue unquestioningly on that same political line without wondering they were getting so much support for saying certain things about Syria but not Yemen or Libya as counterexamples shows the political nature of your work and organisation and means you are judged accordingly.

Higgins writing an article for the NYT about some incident around Iran and then shrugging when a line about everything the USA is saying doesn't prove Iran was responsible was removed clearly indicates how writing and investigating isn't some neutral truth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brexit is the direct result of 40 years of successive UK governments making life worse and blaming the EU/EEC/foreigns for it. Unless that's the result of the deepest cover op by Leonid Brezhnev to make the contradictions of capitalism accelerate themselves I don't see Russian involvement changing that much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

UK WIN - We got to keep the pens from the meetings.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I heard from a good source that Russia's behind this flooding as well.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Brexit is the direct result of 40 years of successive UK governments making life worse and blaming the EU/EEC/foreigns for it. Unless that's the result of the deepest cover op by Leonid Brezhnev to make the contradictions of capitalism accelerate themselves I don't see Russian involvement changing that much.

I mean, yeah, but Brexit is also the direct result of a 52 to 48 referendum on a day in which even the exit polls had remain polling higher, as it had done consistently up to that point.

Who know how long it would have hosed off for had remain won, and who knows what the outcome would have been had the country been placed behind a Great Firewall etc beforehand

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes, the UK domestic media, well known for its even tempered coverage of the referendum.

Also the referendum, a thing that just happened, who can say why or whose idea it was?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

happyhippy posted:

UK WIN - We got to keep the pens from the meetings.
They had good biscuits. Classic British biscuits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

I mean, yeah, but Brexit is also the direct result of a 52 to 48 referendum on a day in which even the exit polls had remain polling higher, as it had done consistently up to that point.

Who know how long it would have hosed off for had remain won, and who knows what the outcome would have been had the country been placed behind a Great Firewall etc beforehand
The alleged remain lead was a temporary (and turns out illusory) reversal of a longstanding antipathy as a result of everything bad being blamed on that Europe that makes all our laws and there's nothing we can do about it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat I forgot about those evil Russians making London the money laundering capital of the world

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I would suggest the actions of the uk government affect my life a lot more than the actions of the Russian one and so its not that odd

Whats the last thing Russia did to us? There's the odd poisoning and the bots I guess.
By contrast, the UK government just won't stop doing things to us.

How much nefarious plot investigation does it actually require when it was published in the last Tory manifesto?

When the uk government does bad things to British citizens, it is generally pretty open about it. The exceptions are likely on a similar scale to what the Russians (and Israeli, Americans, etc.) do; a handful of murders a decade. Add them all up and they wouldn’t break the serial killer record.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The alleged remain lead was a temporary (and turns out illusory) reversal of a longstanding antipathy as a result of everything bad being blamed on that Europe that makes all our laws and there's nothing we can do about it.

Something about that graph looks a little fishy

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

I heard from a good source that Russia's behind this flooding as well.

Kane helped Stalin make a weather control machine :argh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jose posted:

The replies are golden.
My favourite one was "we will be able to kick out those who make our laws."

This doesn't seem to refer to ECHR or ECoJ laws, but UK Laws.
So they were after the ability to forcibly exile MP's.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Question IRL posted:

So they were after the ability to forcibly exile MP's.

Oh hey, me too

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I dread to think of what cause the leave people will be championing a year or two from now after the pain of or boredom with real life in post-EU member state UK sets in :/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

When the uk government does bad things to British citizens, it is generally pretty open about it. The exceptions are likely on a similar scale to what the Russians (and Israeli, Americans, etc.) do; a handful of murders a decade. Add them all up and they wouldn’t break the serial killer record.
Also by a UK state employee.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
maybe i could get them to rally around something relatively innocuous like Bring Back proper metal dustbins :manning:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

phoens for phoneboxes

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

I dread to think of what cause the leave people will be championing a year or two from now after the pain of or boredom with real life in post-EU member state UK sets in :/

More village post offices, bins collected three times a day every day, banning the metric system, bringing back the death penalty and re-establishing Borstals

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

More village post offices, bins collected three times a day every day, banning the metric system, bringing back the death penalty and re-establishing Borstals
Proper light bulbs. If I don't have to change it every year and burn my fingers while doing so I don't want it.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

crispix posted:

Lawrence Fox's Rethink Party (or whatever the gently caress it's called) & high in content lead gloss paint.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lawrence Fox high on huffing leaded petrol wandering around Margate dressed as a giant poppy and chucking lightbulbs at fish.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

kustomkarkommando posted:

This remains one of the most brain damaged things I’ve ever seen

https://twitter.com/gdimelow/status/1300901493869031425

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Why was Lawrence fox even on question time and lol at nuking his career instead of shutting the gently caress up after it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

This remains one of the most brain damaged things I’ve ever seen
Yes I'm sure these people would be fine with modern bin men coming into their back yard and wouldn't be done for ABH after throwing a garden gnome at a Jamaican man.