Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hello thread, how are u

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am good. I also feel bad calling the pthumerian descendant garbage. I do not really think that, I was just frustrated over my inability to control the camera in small arenas.

To go from that kind of one two with Defield Amy and then the Pthumerian Descendant blocking me for so long, to then dispatching the Bloodletting Beast and then the Queen in twenty minutes felt good.

Then to round it off I went to visit the Great One Reborn (one of the fights in my playthrough where I did not get a single hit because 'Da Bloodborne Boyz' carried me and destroyed him instantly) and proceeded to destroy him on my first attempt.

I am now trying to remember the quickest way to finish the game. I think I have to lecture hall, nightmare of mensis, castle of mensis, micolash, upstairs mergo, hunters dream gehrman (and remember to backup save so I can get both endings.)

Am I correct? I would LOVE the plat before the end of the year. That and to finish Dark Souls. :3:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pthumerian descendant and defiled Amygdala are def both garbage idk why you'd feel bad about stating facts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

hello thread, how are u

Getting bad migraines literally every single day and I’m almost certain it’s from playing Cyberpunk :(
I think it’s the low frame rate and camera movement.
It’s so annoying because I want to play it, it’s so good 😢

Also if any of you have mario kart on Switch lmk, I was doing a big tournament last night and it was so fun

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Getting bad migraines literally every single day

gently caress dude, i'm sorry. migraines have been a big part of my life, too. hang in there. :glomp:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They’ve actually been way less prevalent since I started working from home!
I had a meeting with a doctor back in May and I felt like a total fraud going in. His advice was “keep working from home as long as you can”
I’m on a lot of medication for them so it’s not too bad but I haven’t been made this ill playing a game since Far Cry 2 on PS3, that game used to wreck my head with all the motion blur and post processing :gonk:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best way to look at Cyberpunk is to look at your options and jump off from there. it's really the best worst game right now, and it's really up to the player. If you bought it and don't want to deal with BS you can get a refund, if you want to put up with it you can play it in it's current state and deal with it, if you just want to wait until it's less of a mess you'll probably play the best version of the game for the least amount of $$$ somewhere down the line whenever that happens.

But I'll be damned if I don't find it super compelling in spite of it being a mess. Despite of all the bugs and even sometimes crappy game design it's just about my favorite open world ever. There's just so much more put into it than most games in the genre that I can't help but feel like it's something special. The world, the quest design, so much of it is so good but none of it was ready for release yet but I still enjoy it way more than bog standard open world games that are way more polished.

Imo just pick you poison atm, but I think when all is said and done this game will go down as great despite all of the hurdles it needs to overcome right now, and I'm not even a huge Witcher fan or anything.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 24, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My bestie bought me control for Christmas and I thought I would give it a go based on all those recommendations (before I go back to bloodborne later today) and can I just ask one question?

Am I supposed to be utterly lost by what is going on for the first bit of the game? I am fine when this is part of the game but it almost feels like I have missed a few cut scenes otherwise. If this confusion is the style then awesome I will ease into it :3: but at the moment I just feel a bit stupid at not understanding.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's actually very confusing throughout, I didn't really know what was going on at times.
There's an NPC you meet quite soon who hangs around a board room, if you talk to her she'll bring you up to speed!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game Control is very intentionally disorienting and confusing you so that you will be more willing to accept what’s about to happen, you’re fine.

I’m basically a Cyberpunk convert for life, probably gonna buy myself Cyberpunk RED for Xmas. I’ve basically spent the last 12 years being like “drat I wish I could love a game as much as people love Skyrim or Deus Ex or Fallout, but those games just don’t grip me because their settings aren’t that interesting, engaging, or fun to spend time in” and here comes Cyberpunk and Night City and suddenly I’m like “yeah I’m just gonna drop 70 hours into this without batting an eye, I’m planning 2-3 characters up the road, I’m trying to platinum this game on PS4 as a test run to plat it on PS5.” If this game gets even half the post launch support of TW3 I’m gonna be playing it very seriously for a while... and Ghost of Tsushima Legends give me high hopes for the multiplayer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Phew! I am glad it is supposed to be confusing. I genuinely thought I was at fault. Ok. If that is the way it is going to be then time to let it wash over me :)

I did love the way the text flashes on screen. It feels like a weird movie in a way. Also the RTX is really well implemented!

Ok. I think I am at the point the lady can answer questions. That fight just now with the armed guy I died about eight times to. Getting used to different combat after being so ingrained into souls style is tough :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

My bestie bought me control for Christmas and I thought I would give it a go based on all those recommendations (before I go back to bloodborne later today) and can I just ask one question?

Am I supposed to be utterly lost by what is going on for the first bit of the game? I am fine when this is part of the game but it almost feels like I have missed a few cut scenes otherwise. If this confusion is the style then awesome I will ease into it :3: but at the moment I just feel a bit stupid at not understanding.

Yes, absolutely.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is a boss in there that felt very much like trying to deal with a Souls boss, down to the long runs back to the arena from your bonfire equivalent lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m also planning multiple runs ahead in Cyberpunk haha. I already know what my Nomad and Street Kid builds are going to be like. Plus I might do a fourth run eventually with the slow motion chip!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m also planning multiple runs ahead in Cyberpunk haha. I already know what my Nomad and Street Kid builds are going to be like. Plus I might do a fourth run eventually with the slow motion chip!

Yeah I mean my entire playthrough has completely 100% revolved around hacking so the idea of playing through the game the second time with Sandevisten or Berserk has me very excited about the possibilities

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just added up play times and I estimate I’ve played just under 1250 hours of games this year :ohdear:

Keep in mind that’s 95% single player-dominant/story games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was a new patch last night , 1.06, it’s about 15gb.
It promises to fix more crashes on PS4

We shall see

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I just added up play times and I estimate I’ve played just under 1250 hours of games this year :ohdear:

Keep in mind that’s 95% single player-dominant/story games

thats about how long it takes to git gud

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

There was a new patch last night , 1.06, it’s about 15gb.
It promises to fix more crashes on PS4

We shall see

Its a hotfix (lol 15gb hotfix) to remove the 8mb save limit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

The patch notes call that fix out as being PC only, for console it's better memory management to reduce crashes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

My word, forgot to comment on this but yeah, those hits he was getting (especially when the blades spin through the pillar) was what I was dealing with constantly. Man I am thankful I do not have to face him again!

Sakurazuka posted:

I deliberately stuck all the visceral runes on for that fight eventually, I think it took me longer than some of the defiled bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yMx4DTAuak

I wish he had acted more like this for me. My parry timings were either a half second too early or too late but I was trying exactly the same times as you suceeded.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Akuma posted:

The patch notes call that fix out as being PC only, for console it's better memory management to reduce crashes.

So its not fixed on consoles or we never had it in the first place?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

So its not fixed on consoles or we never had it in the first place?
That's what people have been asking since those patch notes dropped! I don't think anyone around here has had it happen but that's a really tiny sample size...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

That’s not a thing on console, all my saves since 1.01 have been 12mb

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Does Crash Team Racing have really bad load times (on a base PS4) that would stop any of you from recommending the game to me, or is still worth checking out if I'm interested in picking up a fun kart racer?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

My word, forgot to comment on this but yeah, those hits he was getting (especially when the blades spin through the pillar) was what I was dealing with constantly. Man I am thankful I do not have to face him again!

I wish he had acted more like this for me. My parry timings were either a half second too early or too late but I was trying exactly the same times as you suceeded.

Veeg, I'll be today with my sister cooking and so for this day but the 25 and 26 in the morning will be completely available to help you push through the last stretch of the chalice if you need. Saturday and Sunday will be spent with my french cutie but then next week I'll be up again to help you get that plat before the end of of the year.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Despite how futuristic it is Night City has so many spots that feel like real places that could exist in real cities. Not the obvious places like a plaza or something that every game gets decently tight, but the intersections, the overpasses, the alleys, the derelict industrial fields.

I'm enjoying learning my around an open world like I haven't done since, well, probably Novigrad and before that, Vice City.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

They’ve actually been way less prevalent since I started working from home!
I had a meeting with a doctor back in May and I felt like a total fraud going in. His advice was “keep working from home as long as you can”
I’m on a lot of medication for them so it’s not too bad but I haven’t been made this ill playing a game since Far Cry 2 on PS3, that game used to wreck my head with all the motion blur and post processing :gonk:

A few hours of PS3 Skyrim would almost knock me out, but I really wanted to continue playing and after a few days my dumb, stubborn brain adapted. Prey did this too.

Actually something about my new 144hz monitor make me feel similarly.

I never considered seeing a doctor, just assumed they were part of my life. I probably should do that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't that sometimes a symptom of epilepsy? I think rabidsquid related feeling like trash from playing certain games because of epilepsy, it's not all seizures from flashing brain dance lights.

(Apologies if I've got any of these details wrong...)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

IDK much about epilepsy, but I've never had a seizure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Akuma posted:

Isn't that sometimes a symptom of epilepsy? I think rabidsquid related feeling like trash from playing certain games because of epilepsy, it's not all seizures from flashing brain dance lights.

(Apologies if I've got any of these details wrong...)

Some people can just be photosensitive without being epileptic. I get a real headache from really strong flashing patterns occasionally.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I've been getting somewhat-infrequent migraines since I was diagnosed with diabetes about ten years ago, and then this year was a horror show as I had two sinus infections that gave me some of the worst migraines I've ever had in my life, the kind I wouldn't wish on even my greatest enemy. I feel for y'all, it sucks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

That’s not a thing on console, all my saves since 1.01 have been 12mb

lol. how do you check single save files anyway? ps5 just lists the whole lot as 124 or something and i assumed it was the same as ps4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fellow migraine-haver here and I sympathise with the rest of you, they’re just awful. Mine haven’t been as frequent as they were when I was a kid/teenager for years, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always thought people complaining about migraines were big babies cause, like, I’ve had a headache and then earlier this year I had a real migraine for the first time. It was so intense I had to pull my car over to the side of the road and throw up, then wait for about 10 minutes because my eyes weren’t working correctly and I literally couldn’t see. I thought Athena herself was trying to crack my skull from the inside out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I used to get occasional migraines as a child and I could always tell they were coming by how I'd get this little weird spot in my vision where things just stopped making proper sense. Like, I'd be reading a book and suddenly there'd be this spot where the letters just wouldn't make works anymore. I usually ended up spending the day in a dark room trying very hard not to move or think about anything. I got lucky and grew out of it at some point, but they're still some of the most miserable experiences I've ever had.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I used to get occasional migraines as a child and I could always tell they were coming by how I'd get this little weird spot in my vision where things just stopped making proper sense. Like, I'd be reading a book and suddenly there'd be this spot where the letters just wouldn't make works anymore. I usually ended up spending the day in a dark room trying very hard not to move or think about anything. I got lucky and grew out of it at some point, but they're still some of the most miserable experiences I've ever had.

One of these?

I only started getting them the last few years. Before it was "just" the headaches.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 24, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

One of these?

I only started getting them the last few years. Before it was "just" the headaches.
Very much like that, in fact, yes. I remember there also being a reddish-blueish visual discoloration as well, which is kind of hard to describe in words. You know that weird optical effect you sometimes get if you stare at a white wallpaper for too long? That, but more intense and all in a single spot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Very much like that, in fact, yes. I remember there also being a reddish-blueish visual discoloration as well, which is kind of hard to describe in words. You know that weird optical effect you sometimes get if you stare at a white wallpaper for too long? That, but more intense and all in a single spot.

first time it happened i thought i was going blind. it's funny how the brain works. it was like it was trying to fill in for information that wasn't there. so i could still "see", there were no black voids, but like you put it the image made no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

first time it happened i thought i was going blind. it's funny how the brain works. it was like it was trying to fill in for information that wasn't there. so i could still "see", there were no black voids, but like you put it the image made no sense.
Yeah, it's a very disquieting experience. You are looking at words, you can see the words, you know they're there and you can read them just fine if you just look at it from a slightly different angle... but in that moment, it's like you've just forgotten how to read. Your eyes just won't make the letters into words in that spot and there's nothing you can do about it. Makes you feel weirdly helpless.