Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Every other bug leaves a corpse, even the ones that probably get eaten (like in various locations in and around deepnest)

The only creatures in the game that don't leave a corpse, leaving behind only a mask (if they have one), are made of void

quirrel leaves only a nail. is he made of void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

b_d posted:

quirrel leaves only a nail. is he made of void?

Quirrel planted his sword in the ground and then left, we don't know what happened to him after that

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:twisted:

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

SirSamVimes posted:

he has a visible mouth

Does that matter? We know too well already that he talks, a vessel with a mouth (that he uses way too much) would be rejected

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Zote doesn't leave a shade when he dies. Not a vessel.

It's true though that he also doesn't leave a carapace.

Zote is a slug??

ETA: hey I have a better question, what the gently caress is the Collector?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Zote is a slug??

the king made his kingsmoulds by ramming voidstuff into armored exoskeletons he'd crafted and setting them to work as guards. the collector looks like a kingsmould without the armor, so...runaway? failed experiment? who knows!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

Zote is a slug??

There are vessel corpses all over without shades. In fact the player character seems to be the only vessel outside of the abyss that can leave a shade behind, so that might signify whether a vessel is truly hollow?

Besides Zote would obviously play on Steel Soul mode! Leaving behind a shade just means that you didn't Git Gud

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 24, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Clearly Elderbug is just a large vessel.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/itsJenSim/status/1342119467262877696

as promised

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Serephina posted:

'Radiance screams through them' really does fail Occam's Razor. The figure poising itself in a howl, with a loud howl coming from it? It's probably howling.

'But all the other ones don't talk!' Yes well, the other ones also don't have heroic statues made of them showing how tall and dashing they are (before being sealed away forever). This one's different. If it's yelling at me in pain/whatever, then I'm willing to believe that it's yelling at me.

edit: Oh ffs really? I have to get to the top of pantheon 4 before getting that salacious piece of lore? gently caress you, game. Next DLC will have you going through the path of pain while Zote keeps bouncing around you, in order to find the backstory of Dirtmouth. Fuckers.

I like that the game had significant bits of setting lore and character writing as rewards for difficult fights.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't know if that's official art or not but it's good to see Hornet with arms

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I don't know if that's official art or not but it's good to see Hornet with arms

we also glimpse her arms in the official tie-in comic, where she welcomes quirrel to hallownest

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Alxprit posted:

"Ari’s designed two stunning custom covers"

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Wow I really hate this giant jellyfish fight. First time I've just turned the game off instead of trying again or wandering off. I think it's because I have to wait for the ally to do his attack rather than develop my own strategy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

Wow I really hate this giant jellyfish fight. First time I've just turned the game off instead of trying again or wandering off. I think it's because I have to wait for the ally to do his attack rather than develop my own strategy.

The version in Godhome is better, you have no ally, instead there are exploding jellyfish that you have to hit into the big one. That's definitely more challenging, but it actually requires even more patience since the jellyfish aren't always in a good position

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I like that the game had significant bits of setting lore and character writing as rewards for difficult fights.

Also the Radiance screaming through the Hollow Knight was pretty clear before Godhome, the Pure Vessel fight just confirmed it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

You can still strategy in how you move around to try and position it in helpful places for when ka-ZAA happens so that you can immediately move in and do a lot of damage. You can also dream nail uumuu while its invincible to make sure you have full soul to attack it with when its vulnerable.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I've done it again! Managed to sprint straight for the Hive Knight without finding the bench or opening any shortcuts. He summarily executed me and I unlocked everything now that I knew where not to go.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

lol I've done it again! Managed to sprint straight for the Hive Knight without finding the bench or opening any shortcuts. He summarily executed me and I unlocked everything now that I knew where not to go.

Hey at least you didn't wander into the hive on your first time in Kingdom's Edge before you'd even met Salubra! I'm impressed you even found it, I spend ages looking for the entrance to it myself and eventually had to look it up.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Hey at least you didn't wander into the hive on your first time in Kingdom's Edge before you'd even met Salubra! I'm impressed you even found it, I spend ages looking for the entrance to it myself and eventually had to look it up.

I found it on that very first ill fated entry into kingdom's edge, those two bees hovering near the false wall got me to hit it while attacking them and notice it shift. Got blocked by the double jump required entrance and went back to it when I got the wings.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh interesting, that's nice of them to not let you wander in too early.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can lure a bee over and pogo up there if you hate yourself.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Are the post boss spirit version battles of the Soul Tyrant and Hollow Vessel worth throwing myself at immediately? Or is it more reasonable to try after taking out the Dreamers? Same with the Hive Knight. I'm reasonably sure I can take out this gray knight rear end in a top hat with enough perseverance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Are the post boss spirit version battles of the Soul Tyrant and Hollow Vessel worth throwing myself at immediately? Or is it more reasonable to try after taking out the Dreamers? Same with the Hive Knight. I'm reasonably sure I can take out this gray knight rear end in a top hat with enough perseverance.

hollow vessel isn't too bad, especially with the defender's crest (which neutralizes the mobs it summons). soul tyrant will make your thumbs weep and is best saved for later

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Dream bosses are endgame content. You won't get any particular advantage for killing them early but if you feel like trying then why not?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Double post but I have BREAKING NEWS NEW INFORMATION IN THE ZOTE ARGUMENT:

I'm watching someone do Eternal Ordeal in a randomiser race and when you kill the first Zote there is a very brief but very clear darkness burst animation like when someone kills the PC knight.

Zote is made of void!

ETA: Actually all of these Zotes are clearly made of void. Now commence arguing about whether this counts or not since it's a weird Godhome thing.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 27, 2020

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, makes me feel better about getting like 1 hit in before getting brutalized by the soul tyrant. Speedy motherfucker
edit: aw. The Hive Knight bowed to his queen before collapsing.

MOTHERFUCKER I KNEW THE BANKER WASN'T TO BE TRUSTED

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 27, 2020

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

:allears:

Never gets old.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hazardousmouse posted:

Lol owned

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hazardousmouse posted:

I fuckin love this game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Every time :allears:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Am I the only one who just never used the banker, since having to go all the way back there before buying something didn't seem worth the minor risk of losing a few hundred geo?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

Am I the only one who just never used the banker, since having to go all the way back there before buying something didn't seem worth the minor risk of losing a few hundred geo?

Yea I never used the banker. I think I was only unable to get back to my shade and retrieve my Geo once or twice the entire 100+ hours I put into the game, so the banker seemed pointless.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Those stupid mushrooms you're supposed to bounce off need more in-game help regarding controls.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Absolutely, I had to look up how to proceed because I'm pretty sure the game never tells you that you can nail jump.

I used the banker cause I was saving up and it's dangerous out there, man.

I should feel bad for really abusing damage invulnerable time to kill the Pale Lurker

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mymla posted:

I use the banker even in steel soul mode :ssh:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I never trusted the banker and I'm glad I didn't. :D

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There’s just no reason to use the banker unless you die in terrible places and deliberately don’t use a rancid egg just to make it riskier.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
or you just didn't know what rancid eggs did and the banker seemed like the safest option. I tended to do a lot of exploring and didn't need the extra pressure of oh poo poo don't die to something stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I've spent the last week playing this game for the first time and I completely ignored the banker because I can't picture dying to anything not in a dream. The deepest part of Deepnest was a bit of a trial because I hadn't finished a mask yet I guess, but by the time I knew that it was a dicey place it was way too late to start working on my investment portfolio.