Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the status of custom beat saber songs on quest2? I haven’t paid attention to that for a while since I’ve been exclusively pcvr

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but there is a patch you can install via SideQuest to allow custom songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Did anyone ever play Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son? I remember laughing when it was announced and then completely forgot about it. One sale now for $10 and kind of just looks like a collection of mini-games, but I'm intrigued by how it's going to use the IP.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the status of custom beat saber songs on quest2? I haven’t paid attention to that for a while since I’ve been exclusively pcvr

Well, it works the same as Quest 1. You install this https://bmbf.dev/stable to mod the game.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JArsYApmisY

If you can suffer or fastforward the first 20secs of me loving with menus, and also accept that the mere act of recording through Geforce Experience seemed to hurt my FPS slightly, this shows my current experience flying around Vermont. I think this maxes out at 1080p but was capped at whatever res the oculus does when you set to 1440p and then tell steamVR 150% per eye.

Specs: PNY 10gb 3080 @ stock, zen7 3800x @ default AMD auto-OC settings, 32 gb G.Skill PC3600, all m.2 drives.
VR Settings: SteamVR as default XHR, set to 150% scaling per eye
MSFS 2020 settings: Live weather, all detail settings somewhere between medium and ultra (HIGH object detail, textures, etc; only thing I set to LOW was the cockpit glass refresh)

This is totally playable, very immersive, and fun. I will continue tw

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just FYI you can get it for $17 on the epic store now using the coupon.

i might do this to play now, thanks, but I think the epic store is not the "connected" / latest version :shrug:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lister posted:

Did anyone ever play Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son? I remember laughing when it was announced and then completely forgot about it. One sale now for $10 and kind of just looks like a collection of mini-games, but I'm intrigued by how it's going to use the IP.
Purchased but didn't play yet, based mostly on how impressed I was with Tequila Works' previous VR effort (The Invisible Hours) and that I take a yearly trip to Punxsutawney on Groundhog's Day. I was kinda saving it because I won't be taking that trip this winter.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Index order already paying dividends

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Erebus posted:

Your post made me check and it looks like my turn came up in the queue as well. I wonder how long it will take to process and ship it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
My Quest 2 nightmare continues. Finally picked it up from Best Buy today after nearly two weeks of delay. First thing I see upon turning it on is a message that the cooling system isn't working and that I need to contact Oculus support. I installed Beat Saber and some custom songs on it and it seemed to be performing fine though it is noticeably warm to the touch after about 30 minutes of use. Anyone have any experience with their RMA process? I think I'm gonna keep using it until I have to go back to work the first week of January and open a case then in case I have to ship it out. I'll just keep a sweat rag around to wipe my face down in the meantime, I guess. Very loving annoying!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Erebus posted:

I ordered my index today as well, only 4 days in the queue before requesting payment.

What the gently caress do you do with these trading cards and why should I care? I've never really paid attention to them.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Suburban Dad posted:

What the gently caress do you do with these trading cards and why should I care? I've never really paid attention to them.

In my experience you sell them on the community market for a few cents each and get a dollar or two off your next game. Hell if I know what they do other than that though.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Suburban Dad posted:

They're crafted into badges, which are meaningless outside of e-penis measuring. Whenever you craft a badge you also get a profile background and emoticon from the game you crafted the badge for. So, generally useless unless you engage a lot with Steam's social functions. You probably also now have 100,000+ points for the Point Shop where you could buy a lot of that stuff individually.

Like Grashnak said, the other option is to just sell them as they come and gradually build a bank of a few dollars in your Steam wallet.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So i've got flight sim on the xbox subscription thingy and I can use it with my oculus fine with link but then i was gonna try through virtual desktop but realised I'd need to launch it from VR desktop.

Is there anyway to do this? can i make it something that launches from steam VR maybe? any idea/tips?

Thanks

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

by.a.teammate posted:

So i've got flight sim on the xbox subscription thingy and I can use it with my oculus fine with link but then i was gonna try through virtual desktop but realised I'd need to launch it from VR desktop.

Is there anyway to do this? can i make it something that launches from steam VR maybe? any idea/tips?

Thanks

From VD official notes:

Additional Notes
You can launch games that aren't part of your Oculus or Steam library by right-clicking the Streamer icon in the system tray, selecting "Launch Game..." and locating the executable. Alternatively, you can inject games through a batch file (.bat) by using: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[ExecutablePath]"

However, given that FS is surely a UWP, I'm not sure if it will work?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Turin Turambar posted:

From VD official notes:

Additional Notes
You can launch games that aren't part of your Oculus or Steam library by right-clicking the Streamer icon in the system tray, selecting "Launch Game..." and locating the executable. Alternatively, you can inject games through a batch file (.bat) by using: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[ExecutablePath]"

However, given that FS is surely a UWP, I'm not sure if it will work?

thank you for showing me that but sadly it doesn't work, i tried adding it to steam too and it just says this executable cannot be opened by the system or something.

ah well i'll try cable again just got some weird black box thing last time

if anyone figures it out dont be shy!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
FSes VR implementation is that you use control tab to switch into stereo view once the game is running. It works fine with steamVR set as the XHR default, but (without really understanding what's required to launch something in the wireless mode) because it's a Live installed game you're going to have a hell of a time tracking down the executable. Once you do, you can add it to steam... I did this with tetris effect to see if that would let me play it in steam VR (no)

by.a.teammate posted:

ah well i'll try cable again just got some weird black box thing last time

if anyone figures it out dont be shy!

This you can fix by going into steam VR, settings, developer, set steamVR as default XHR, save, maybe reboot. Black boxes should be gone (thanks, vr subreddit!!)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Flight sim 2020 is likely to be a very poor experience with virtual desktop because it absolutely needs motion reprojection fora smooth experience but motion reprojection doesn’t work with virtual desktop because virtual desktop bypasses the oculus PC side of things.

The steam version of flight sim does work with virtual desktop because its executable isn’t walled off in the UWP wasteland but it’s still terrible through anything but link.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I gave Flight Simulator 2020 a go since it's on Game Pass for £1 and I'm amazed at how well it's running on my mid-range-ish machine (2070S, Ryzen 3700X and 16GB RAM). I have a Rift S with Oculus ASW set to auto and aside from a few noticeable warps/wobbles on take-off, it's running very smoothly - particularly at altitude. It's a seriously impressive experience in VR.

Might be worth trying it out on a Game Pass introductory offer if you're not sure how it's going to run on your machine.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Yesterday I got Thrill of the Fight and today I can't lift my right arm above shoulder height

10/10 will play again after a day or two of recovery

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Riatsala posted:

Yesterday I got Thrill of the Fight and today I can't lift my right arm above shoulder height

I picked this up too because everybody kept talking it up and it is kind of crazy how much fake videogame boxing just works when you're actually looking at someone while you're fighting them. The body movements and the flinching all feels very very well done.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So I finally got in my Valve Index and whatayaknow the Displayport connector on the headset is completely hosed. I was getting really weird images out of the right lens so I tried to reseat the cable, and then I saw how scratched up, smashed, and broken the port was. Looks like someone at the factory took a screwdriver to it or something. Gonna try to just get a refund for this and not even bother with getting a replacement because I'm pretty salty about it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is beatsaver working so custom songs can be downloaded? Using BMBF for Quest and it doesn't look like songs are downloading. This https://bsaber.com/curatorspicks2020/ also says "In an attempt to keep the home page interesting while beatsaver is down..."

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Is beatsaver working so custom songs can be downloaded? Using BMBF for Quest and it doesn't look like songs are downloading. This https://bsaber.com/curatorspicks2020/ also says "In an attempt to keep the home page interesting while beatsaver is down..."

I was having issues with it yesterday and ended up using the browser in BMBF to just download the songs I had bookmarked. Worked great when I tried that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The bookmark function doesn't work for me. I mean, downloading my bookmarked songs. I had to go to the browser inside bmbf,login with my profile, go to my bookmarks and download each by hand.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

explosivo posted:

I picked this up too because everybody kept talking it up and it is kind of crazy how much fake videogame boxing just works when you're actually looking at someone while you're fighting them. The body movements and the flinching all feels very very well done.

Speaking of - If I were to buy BoxVR or PowerBeatsVR which would be the better pick? The latter seems to be newer but slightly better reviewed reading both pages a few scrolls.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m looking forward to seeing tons of first time VR users in Rec Room, Pokerstars, and Echo VR tomorrow.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

I’m looking forward to seeing tons of first time VR users in Rec Room, Pokerstars, and Echo VR tomorrow.

I got Pokerstars two days ago and already have 120k. It really is the smoothest social vr I've played so far, even if every avatar looks like a puppet from Lazy Town

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Hahaha, tried FS2020 VR on my 1070ti. It went about as well as I expected. Will tinker a bit but think it's hosed till I can get my haveds on a 3080.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Riatsala posted:

My legs are jelly from a week of playing Superhot and Pistol whips and doing full on squats to avoid bullets. I need to take a few days off but it's actually a legitimately good workout and I need to incorporate it into my regular exercise just to mix things up.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of - If I were to buy BoxVR or PowerBeatsVR which would be the better pick? The latter seems to be newer but slightly better reviewed reading both pages a few scrolls.

I've not played PowerBeatsVR, but my spouse loves BoxVR. It's basically any boxercise class you'd do at a suburban gym, so if that's what you're looking for, then that's exactly what you'll get.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I continue to be impressed with Virtual Desktop. I spent a few hours playing HL Alyx last night from the other room with maybe one or two one second hiccups, and just found out today that I can also play Squadrons through Origin using VD as well after some phenagling. This seriously rules, I still have a link cable on the way but this makes me so happy considering the one big hang-up I had about getting the Quest was the Oculus library being kinda poo poo compared to what Steam gets and this makes that a complete non-issue.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cael posted:

My legs are jelly from a week of playing Superhot and Pistol whips and doing full on squats to avoid bullets. I need to take a few days off but it's actually a legitimately good workout and I need to incorporate it into my regular exercise just to mix things up.

What did my legs in was Skyrim VR stealth archer with immersive sneaking on. Basically just one long squat :negative:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Pokerstars VR is loving incredible. I love it so much.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

You don’t need to spend a dime on Pokerstars. The prize wheel you can spin every 8 hours not only gives you chips, but the in game currency to buy the props. I saved up enough to get the drone, and a douchey vape, and a super soaker.

Gun Club is great for the money. But its clearly aimed towards enthusiasts who know what style of mount goes on what gun, and which caliber ammo specific guns need. Still its cool you can play sitting down or standing up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ChocNitty posted:

Gun Club is great for the money. But its clearly aimed towards enthusiasts who know what style of mount goes on what gun, and which caliber ammo specific guns need. Still its cool you can play sitting down or standing up.

Yeah I got Gun Club to have a shootin' stuff game on the native oculus store and it's fun but I'm curious about how it stacks up against the horseshoes and handgrenades game on steam. I have diminished amounts of fun once you start using anything but the pistols because the dual grip thing on long guns feels real weird when you're not actually holding onto something. Still though it's satisfying as hell just holding a gun and pulling the slide back to eject all the bullets lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thom and the Heads posted:

Pokerstars VR is loving incredible. I love it so much.

It’s seriously one of the best multiplayer VR games out there and it’s free

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I played Poker Stars once, and I got put into a table with a bunch of children. I asked a kid if he was 10 and his response was, "yeah, but I'm good at the game" and I laughed so hard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, was he?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nocheez posted:

I played Poker Stars once, and I got put into a table with a bunch of children. I asked a kid if he was 10 and his response was, "yeah, but I'm good at the game" and I laughed so hard.

I played a game of Echo Arena with some friends and we ended up matching against a team that had two children on it who were screaming and fighting the entire time.

I think they were both about 10, but one kid was incredibly angry that the other kid was claiming to be 27. It was pretty hilarious up until he started screaming a bunch of racist stuff.

Is there any way to report players or kick them in Echo? I looked through my wrist menu but all I could find was ways to mute them or ghost them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tip posted:

I played a game of Echo Arena with some friends and we ended up matching against a team that had two children on it who were screaming and fighting the entire time.

I think they were both about 10, but one kid was incredibly angry that the other kid was claiming to be 27. It was pretty hilarious up until he started screaming a bunch of racist stuff.

Is there any way to report players or kick them in Echo? I looked through my wrist menu but all I could find was ways to mute them or ghost them.

You do it through the Oculus overlay itself. I don't remember the click-by-click actions, but it's in there somewhere. Social menu or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I left before I could figure out how to play. I'll do it with goons or friends some night.