Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
pay the lynx corporation in the console for a towaway of the crap in your barge

doesn't even have to be instant, it could be on a 2 minute timer before the barge contents are cleared, with a 15-30s time where you can't submit any materials to the barge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's an oldish post in the steam forum for the game where the devs acknowledged that the barge getting overcrowded was a problem, but said that making the barge empty itself isn't possible for some reason, and they're hoping to come up with another solution.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How about a second barge "above" the berth?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How about a second barge "above" the berth?

noooooooo, my view of spaaaaaaaace

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unless posted:

noooooooo, my view of spaaaaaaaace

You can have your view of space when you pay off your debts, buster.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Airlocks in the Heavy Cargo Gecko are bugged, I think. I chopped off the 4 restraining parts along with the two internal cut points, and it glitched into the skeleton of the gecko.

I only became slightly aware of it as the ship itself pinned me inside the reactor compartment as it began to spin. I kept cutting poo poo I could see, as well as throwing panels into the processor. Eventually I worked myself free, but the assembly kept spinning in space. My shift ended, I started it up again and the internals of the ship (reactor, power, ECU, and all) had thrown itself up where one of the upper anchoring jacks were. The problem airlock had disappeared, though. At this point I tried to cut off the other airlock to get some space to dislodge the reactor, at which point it started to spin again, just in the opposite direction.

I pulled the power generator before the skeleton sailed completely out of bounds, and the sparking fuses detonated the ECU and triggered a meltdown. I sat in my now empty ship bay watching the spiraling remains of the gecko spin further and further out of bounds, until the airlock fully dislodged itself from the rest of the ship. It slowly drifted to a stop, far outside my reach. The airlock careened around the sky, as it was now glitched inside of the nanocarbon panel that makes the outer face of the airlock.

I watched for another 30 seconds as the reactor exploded, and I tethered the remains of the incredibly cursed internal parts of the airlock into the furnace.

Despite this disaster I made 4m credits the first go round, and 4m credits the second go round. Not a bad haul considering half my ship was spinning inside of the ship bay, throwing the nanocarbon panels everywhere.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
The crazy physics and glitches are part of the glory of it. This is why I love Early Access games that focus on adding content and crashfixes first and weird bugs second.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
oh it wasn't a complaint, it was quite majestic and a fun moving hazard to have the ship freak out that way.

Other physics bugs involve detonators propelling tons of kg of ship hurtling across the bay. It's fantastic, I just wish I had more control over where the explosion sent the crap.

Hurling a chunk of the ship into the furnace with creative use of detonators would be great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tether it before you detonate

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I love this game, but a couple of times now I've run into a real nasty bug where the game crashes when a bunch of stuff enters a furnace at once. And once more! Just had an accidental decompression that somehow pushed the carcass of a Javelin into a furnace more quickly than I could get to the hab to end the shift. I was 55 minutes into an "Open" salvage shift :cry:

Early Access folks, so I'm not spitting venom or anything. And to be sure, if I were playing "Normal" shifts, then I could never, ever lose so much time in one go :haw: Also, MAN did it crash. It crashed so hard it dropped me down to a single display and now windows can't detect the other monitors. Impressive.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I grabbed this game couple of weeks ago during sale, and although it really needs performance settings (i7-6700 and GTX 970) it is oddly satisfying. I do like relaxing and not-rushed puzzle solving so I sometimes turn the timer off with cheat :smithicide:

magimix posted:

I love this game, but a couple of times now I've run into a real nasty bug where the game crashes when a bunch of stuff enters a furnace at once. And once more! Just had an accidental decompression that somehow pushed the carcass of a Javelin into a furnace more quickly than I could get to the hab to end the shift. I was 55 minutes into an "Open" salvage shift :cry:

Early Access folks, so I'm not spitting venom or anything. And to be sure, if I were playing "Normal" shifts, then I could never, ever lose so much time in one go :haw: Also, MAN did it crash. It crashed so hard it dropped me down to a single display and now windows can't detect the other monitors. Impressive.
I had that too, it seems the game can't process too many stuff at once and the game crashes after a huge spike in CPU usage and freeze if you try to shove big chunk of ship into furnace. Think of it as Minecraft and that you're trying to destroy thousands of blocks at once, probably because it tries to process everything at once. Best practice is to split into small chunks (no more than 20 parts at once?), that way you never get a crash.

Also I didn't realize you can melt the beams between panels. Panels will not move an inch if you melt the beams instead, and it's more safe than trying to cut the panels and accidentally triggering explosion.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
"The Delhi "Stinger" 3200 W/m2 550°C High Precision Sustained Beam Head is the standard issue tool-head for new members (and associated interns) of LYNX Salvage Teams."

"Delhi "SplitSaw" 7900 W/m2 8800°C Bifurcated Beam Cutting Head fires a splitting beam for speedier and more capable ship disassembly."

The stinger is the beginners tool. Text is from the Modular Laser Cutter upgrade menu.

magimix posted:

One of the pseudo working methods for this is to redownload the visual C++ redistributables, assuming your on windows.

Sestze posted:

oh it wasn't a complaint, it was quite majestic and a fun moving hazard to have the ship freak out that way.

Other physics bugs involve detonators propelling tons of kg of ship hurtling across the bay. It's fantastic, I just wish I had more control over where the explosion sent the crap.

Hurling a chunk of the ship into the furnace with creative use of detonators would be great.

Totally doable. The explosions propel (a mass of up to 40k), with some moderation in relation to the center of mass, in a straight line directly opposite the direction the arrow on the demo is pointing. It won't spin the ship, direct line only.

This link is only here to show I may know what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTe6mYXKXU

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 27, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you send any large structures into the furnace, you must never look at the furnace

Partial solution, you might still crash but it's a good start. Next level is buy new ram and CPU but that's gonna be marginal.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

zedprime posted:

If you send any large structures into the furnace, you must never look at the furnace

Partial solution, you might still crash but it's a good start. Next level is buy new ram and CPU but that's gonna be marginal.

I find that this works. Pretending potential calamities aren't happening and looking pointedly in the other direction is a general theme in my life, actually.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

aniviron posted:

I find that this works. Pretending potential calamities aren't happening and looking pointedly in the other direction is a general theme in my life, actually.

Hah!, yes. Thanks for the advice all, I shall very much bear it in mind[1]. I seem to have a propensity for late-shift gently caress-ups that propel the carcass to the furnace, and since it has crashed things every time, I'm a little bit nervy. Hell, I managed to do it in the tutorial.

[1] New RAM and CPU thing isn't going to be a thing for a few more months tough! :haw: That said, my i7-3770K *is* getting a little long in the tooth, to be sure.

Edit: I am starting to see 'ghost ships' now. Wierdly spooky.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sestze posted:

Does "the earth's atmosphere" count as "the furnace"? Because sometimes you say the job's done. Sometime's the job says you're done:

Still getting used to cutting charges and I slapped 4 on the rear habitat section of my Javelin only to watch the impulse fire the sucker a million miles. Mainly just wanted the practice/experience working with them.

I only got this game only a couple days ago. Already addicted and trying to talk a few of my other friends into getting it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Alkydere posted:

Does "the earth's atmosphere" count as "the furnace"? Because sometimes you say the job's done. Sometime's the job says you're done:

Still getting used to cutting charges and I slapped 4 on the rear habitat section of my Javelin only to watch the impulse fire the sucker a million miles. Mainly just wanted the practice/experience working with them.

I only got this game only a couple days ago. Already addicted and trying to talk a few of my other friends into getting it.

Suddenly it occurs to me this is probably the source of the Kessler syndrome you see in the start of a campaign.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bremen posted:

Suddenly it occurs to me this is probably the source of the Kessler syndrome you see in the start of a campaign.

I get the feeling the Kessler syndrome was already there, a side effect of humanity clawing itself into the stars and one of the reasons (along with climate change loving up everything) Earth is so poor.

At which point Lynx went "Well they're too poor to say no and orbit's already hosed up, let's keep loving up Earth orbit as compared to anyone else's." and set up shop. It's also relatively close to Mars in which is apparently where most of the shipyards are, or at least the biggest and most productive ones, so they can ship the raw supplies there relatively cheap.

Obviously Lynx is part of the reason the Kessler Syndrome is so bad and isn't getting any better. :v: Also probably why you're paid $500 to toss a water bottle in the furnace so there's one less piece of trash floating around in orbit to take out everyone.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Obviously Lynx is part of the reason the Kessler Syndrome is so bad and isn't getting any better. :v: Also probably why you're paid $500 to toss a water bottle in the furnace so there's one less piece of trash floating around in orbit to take out everyone.

I always feel like some of the stuff you are paid to do isn't really about the value of the salvage, but is instead paying lip service to the Space EPA's rules. "Oh yeah those fuel tanks? We totally tell our breakers to safely stash those on the barge. They tooooootaaallly do that. The mattresses which are probably contaminated? Yeah deeeeefinitely incinerated in the furnaces. Yep."

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Alkydere posted:

I did a cut on the airlocks at the back end of the "easy" javelin, and the drat thing spun end-over-end for a good 45 seconds until it calmed down. It ended up nose-down towards the barge, rear end up towards space.

These quirky gently caress-ups really do play into Lynx being a terrible corporation. I started a gig on a Gecko Salvager, and the first 15 seconds before I even got out of the terminal to purchase repair kits and a reactor key, the reactor melted down, detonating the entire back half of the ship. I can only assume some physics glitchyness combined with some volatile materials like a battery caused a nasty chain reaction as soon as work started.

Said "nope," did a swift 180 and went back into the hab.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sestze posted:

I did a cut on the airlocks at the back end of the "easy" javelin, and the drat thing spun end-over-end for a good 45 seconds until it calmed down. It ended up nose-down towards the barge, rear end up towards space.

These quirky gently caress-ups really do play into Lynx being a terrible corporation. I started a gig on a Gecko Salvager, and the first 15 seconds before I even got out of the terminal to purchase repair kits and a reactor key, the reactor melted down, detonating the entire back half of the ship. I can only assume some physics glitchyness combined with some volatile materials like a battery caused a nasty chain reaction as soon as work started.

Said "nope," did a swift 180 and went back into the hab.

I only just now got to Geckos. First one I got was a passenger one which was find airlock, get in...get lost as I wander around for 2 minutes looking for a way into the superstucture. My cunning plan of "I have no idea what to do, I'm just gonna zap the breakpoints" turned out pretty well.

Second one was a heavy cargo one where I got in, start cutting away and despite the ship having had no physics fuckery done to it yet the fist cargo bay door falls on my head the second I cut it free.

aniviron posted:

I always feel like some of the stuff you are paid to do isn't really about the value of the salvage, but is instead paying lip service to the Space EPA's rules. "Oh yeah those fuel tanks? We totally tell our breakers to safely stash those on the barge. They tooooootaaallly do that. The mattresses which are probably contaminated? Yeah deeeeefinitely incinerated in the furnaces. Yep."

I mean I feel all that stuff, while not the meat and potatoes, is likely still valuable enough to help the bottom line.

Though you're totally right about that poo poo with the bottles. You get paid $500/per and there's even a sticker encouraging you to be responsible "recycling" them in the furnace instead of letting them float around in orbit.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

I only just now got to Geckos. First one I got was a passenger one which was find airlock, get in...get lost as I wander around for 2 minutes looking for a way into the superstucture. My cunning plan of "I have no idea what to do, I'm just gonna zap the breakpoints" turned out pretty well.

I continue to find the Geckos absolutely daunting. Especially the more complex systems in them. I tried to harvest the thrusters on one in my last shift, clearly did something wrong somewhere, because as I was removing a thruster-cap, the reactor melted down. :supaburn:

Since I'd not removed *anything* from from ship at that point, it was surprisingly well contained. Made a real mess of the interior though!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

magimix posted:

I continue to find the Geckos absolutely daunting. Especially the more complex systems in them. I tried to harvest the thrusters on one in my last shift, clearly did something wrong somewhere, because as I was removing a thruster-cap, the reactor melted down. :supaburn:

Since I'd not removed *anything* from from ship at that point, it was surprisingly well contained. Made a real mess of the interior though!

On all two Geckos I'd done (I've done a pair, that makes me an expert, right?) the Thrusters were connected to fuel lines so I made drat sure to find or buy an engineering override key to flush the pipes both times. There's another switch on the thruster fuel pipes that apparently just shoots them out but I was all "I'd...rather not play with that" since you're right there next to the thruster and it had "may cause explosions" on it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I think that switch causes explosions in the fuel lines, but not in the reactor-to-thruster lines. So, if you can disconnect any/all orange fuel lines to the thrusters and/or reactor then I think you can pull that switch safely.

I think

*boom*

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

On all two Geckos I'd done (I've done a pair, that makes me an expert, right?) the Thrusters were connected to fuel lines so I made drat sure to find or buy an engineering override key to flush the pipes both times. There's another switch on the thruster fuel pipes that apparently just shoots them out but I was all "I'd...rather not play with that" since you're right there next to the thruster and it had "may cause explosions" on it.

Interesting. I *do* as a matter of course use a utility key on the console when there is such a console. Guess I must have done something *else* bad, without realising.

Fake Edit: Actually, I do recall now that I did somehow cause something to start arcing in one of the rooms. I didn't make anything of it at the time, as the room itself didn't have anything sensitive in it. But outside the room, running the length of the ship, were coolant pipes. And within the interior spaces (after the explosion), in roughly the same area, I also found a bunch of fuse panels.

Well, at least my gently caress-up was on a long enough timer that I was outside the ship when everything finally went kablooey.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A manual flush of a Gecko's drives is exceedingly safe when done with the tail pulled back to the backstop. Those are safety flames that come out and all it means is you need to hit the other switches and tether the drives to the barge quickly.

The current scoring means there's very little reason not to buy keys if you've run out of found ones but it feels really cool to strip the drives manually, surrounded by safety flames.

The safety flames aren't guarenteed. If you get safety flames, as long as you've pulled the tail back/stripped the fuel storages the safety flames will often do nothing, with a small chance they are pointed at a drive and then the drive spews safety flames, which makes the other drives spew safety flames, and well after you hit the switch you want to be able to barge the thrusters is all I'm saying.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

safety flames

Do you work for LYNX marketing by chance? Because that is some very ballsy branding.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

magimix posted:

Interesting. I *do* as a matter of course use a utility key on the console when there is such a console. Guess I must have done something *else* bad, without realising.

Fake Edit: Actually, I do recall now that I did somehow cause something to start arcing in one of the rooms. I didn't make anything of it at the time, as the room itself didn't have anything sensitive in it. But outside the room, running the length of the ship, were coolant pipes. And within the interior spaces (after the explosion), in roughly the same area, I also found a bunch of fuse panels.

Well, at least my gently caress-up was on a long enough timer that I was outside the ship when everything finally went kablooey.
There are a few electrical hazards that can really mess you up, spoilered for those wanting to learn The Hard Way:
Battery Packs (any) - If these are moved by air being vented through an airlock, these can bump into objects and start sparking. They're very fragile.
Monitors (any) - Being hit by other objects, or physics'd into other objects with the grapple, these will spew sparks for a good amount of time before they burn out and need to be chucked in the furnace.
Fuses (Seen on Javelins and Geckos, any ship that has a dedicated power plant) - If you pull these fuses without the lights being out, they arc everywhere. If you pull the power plant from the ship before the fuses are deactivated, the fuses will automatically go into the fail state, launch off, and start arcing.
Fuse boxes (Mackrels) / Power Cells (Any) - Pulling these off of the wall immediately starts them sparking. Move anything fragile away from them before pulling them and throwing them directly into the barge.

As for dismantling the higher tier ships that have reactors linked via fuel lines to thrusters and ECUs:
Tier 2 reactors have 3 main parts to their construction, the Reactor, the Thrusters (and fuel assembly) and the ECU. To safely extract all 3 of these elements:
- Use a utility key to shut off the fuel to the thrusters, at this point, the thrusters will be detached without need for the switch on the fuel line.
- If you don't want to spend the 50,000 credits or scour the ship for a key, you can also manually switch the thrusters off. Have your cutter ready and if the pipe starts to spout fire, cut it off immediately, or it will crawl up the pipe to the reactor.
- If you've cut the outer skin of the ship off, you can tether the thrusters down into the barge immediately at this point.
- Once the thrusters are gone, clear a path from the reactor assembly to the barge. Pull 3 shields off, cut around the assembly, making sure not to nick the coolant line.
- Go to the ECU, pull the panel off the front, and detach the 3 coolant pods inside (collect them for free progress on coolant stuff)
- Once all 3 pods are pulled, the reactor will start to melt down. At this point you can tether the reactor into the barge.
- Once the reactor is gone, head back to the ECU, cut the pipe behind the ECU in the room it is in, cut the plate from under the ECU, and tether it into the barge.

If "Hard" mackrels are still in the game with fuel lines directly to the Tier 1 reactor, i have no idea how to disarm that poo poo outside of a key.

Honestly, I spend 70,000 credits at the start of every shift grabbing the key and 4 repair kits, regardless of the type of ship. Better than hunting for the key, and a single successful reactor, thruster, and ECU haul gives you 3m credits or something silly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I count this as "done", Lynx can unstick the drat bastard.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
50k-70k is like one sizable nanocarbon panel. Just do it.

The only thing that gets me on the hard mackerel is the cut point about 2mm from the fuel tank. I have to contort myself very specifically not to Nick it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's only cheap-rear end aluminum, in the Furnace Gravity Death Well, and if you'll notice the shift timer's at 0:00.

I just moved onto the next ship and told Lynx "Look, the Javelin's in the furnace, what more do you fuckers want?"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I got this game a week ago on the steam sale and it really owns, just very well executed concept and actually fun to boot which is great. I'm up to Cert 8 or 9 and I've got Mackarels down pretty good. I can get through hard mackarels clearing all work orders in 15 minutes and salvage the entire ship. Not the entire estimated value but I'll atleast get all the majors so I can pull 3-3.5 million per run. I've started working on my javelin familiarity as well but I budget 2-3 shifts per ship for these. They've given me some trouble so I'm looking for some experienced cutter advice.

1. Whats the best way to handle pieces that are mixed processed/furnace? I basically don't bother with cockpit glass, but there are things about ship bodies where you'll have a furnace metal frame but with processable bits on top. It seems entirely too time consuming to demo charge pieces off and there are things my cutter can't cut right now?

2. Whats the best way to handle the javelin interior. The multiple airlocks are rough and due to stupidity / carelessness I almost always have to violently decompress at least 1 chamber sometimes the whole thing.

3. Are there any good videos with tips for the individual ships?

4. Whats the trick to dislodging the interior section of the javelin? Its attached to a plate that makes up the back/front of the respective drum, is it really just cutting out the plate around the interior section or is there a way to dislodge the entire plate?

Demo charges are fun but I kinda wish i played when the cutter could cut anything, the trailer really made me feel like i could cut anything with the tool :(

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Don't really worry about separating the nanocarbon panel from the frame

If you look at the respective numbers the panel of a mackerel is something like 100k and the aluminum frame is like $40. Not the correct numbers but the ratio is fairly accurate

You can see this by popping a panel off and dropping it in the furnace instead, you get credit for all and scrap, and it's much much less then if you drop the same panel in the blue stuff.

Same with cockpit glass etc. It's almost worth it to empty it out only if you have those work orders, otherwise chuck it all in the processor. The glass,, et all is worth less then the cost of running a new shift or the time it took to cut it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Glass is quite valuable per kilo, there's just not a lot of it. For something that's got a lot of glass on it, it can be worth furnacing it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've been having trouble getting the barge to accept the bigass chunks that come off the Javelin exterior. I'll tether down one of the big fuel pods or the Ion Rings or whatever, and they'll either stop just short of entering the barge or only count a single portion of them. The worst offenders so far being the big fuel cans on the tanker Javelins, which move as one unit until they get to the barge, at which point they decide they are in fact three separate smaller cans with their attendant clamps and none of them want to go to the barge without receiving individual attention. I can accept the barge not being okay with me plonking half an entire half of the Ion Ring assembly as a single delivery, but this is getting pretty frustrating all around.

Has anybody else had similar problems, and are there any tips or workarounds for this?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Until/unless they fix it, you need to only send single things into the barge. Break the ion rings into all the pieces, and remove the tanks from the holders instead of the holders from the hull. You can remove tanks and cargo boxes from the javelin with the grabber instead of cutting anything out for now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

For the Javelin fuel tanks you can cut the connectors to free all the tanks and then use your grapple on the circular plate thats connecting the tanks to free the tanks. Do it to both to free up all 3 tanks and then you can send all the individual pieces down.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
This game is far more delightful and relaxing than I'd expected. I'm loving it over the holiday break, but there's some stuff that's kind of unclear. For instance, in one of the earlier ships I could turn off the fuel and the thrusters wouldn't light off, but in these bigger ships there doesn't seem to be a similar option other than the lockouts you pop on the back by the piping. So they will still light off sometimes. Are there tank switches I haven't noticed somewhere to clear the fuel lines in geckos? I've gotten pretty good otherwise at peeling ships apart, but getting my tractor popped is annoying if cool to watch go all blackhole-y.

Is there anything besides extra lynx tokens and the occasional data thing from ghost ships? I expect the first packet I decoded gave away the secret but maybe it's not as obvious as I thought. The constant whining about getting the ai nodes and I guess the ai nodes messing with systems (maybe it was my own bad luck) seem like the only real thing they offer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I got this game a week ago on the steam sale and it really owns, just very well executed concept and actually fun to boot which is great. I'm up to Cert 8 or 9 and I've got Mackarels down pretty good. I can get through hard mackarels clearing all work orders in 15 minutes and salvage the entire ship. Not the entire estimated value but I'll atleast get all the majors so I can pull 3-3.5 million per run. I've started working on my javelin familiarity as well but I budget 2-3 shifts per ship for these. They've given me some trouble so I'm looking for some experienced cutter advice.

1. Whats the best way to handle pieces that are mixed processed/furnace? I basically don't bother with cockpit glass, but there are things about ship bodies where you'll have a furnace metal frame but with processable bits on top. It seems entirely too time consuming to demo charge pieces off and there are things my cutter can't cut right now?

2. Whats the best way to handle the javelin interior. The multiple airlocks are rough and due to stupidity / carelessness I almost always have to violently decompress at least 1 chamber sometimes the whole thing.

3. Are there any good videos with tips for the individual ships?

4. Whats the trick to dislodging the interior section of the javelin? Its attached to a plate that makes up the back/front of the respective drum, is it really just cutting out the plate around the interior section or is there a way to dislodge the entire plate?

Demo charges are fun but I kinda wish i played when the cutter could cut anything, the trailer really made me feel like i could cut anything with the tool :(

1) Anything that's mixed generally goes into the Processor for me. Just a piece or two of aluminum or glass really ain't worth it. Obviously an aluminum panel that has glass on it (there's a few in Javelins) goes in the furnace.

2) Once I've done a bit on the exterior (usually take my first bite out of the Ion Ring) I'll just go in and carefully decompress everything I want to decompress. On the "Small" Javelins that have only a Class I Reactor/Thrusters I'll actively explosively decompress them: the thruster comes right out like a champagne cork if you pop the welds on the thruster cap. Then once that's out of the way cut a few sections of the rear off (and tether them to the back wall to get them clear and make good path to later tether them into the processor bays) cut open the back. A couple slices and you can have the back panel of the habitat area pop right off.

3) No idea but one tip I will give you: if you want to get stuff clear on the top and don't have a clear line to tether it to the barge or a bay, tether it to one of the giant floating jacks up top. That will give you a clearer line of sight later when the tether runs out. You can do the same with the the back of the salvage bay as well.

4) Honestly once you get to Javelins and then Geckos you're at the point where sometimes you just gotta get your cutter and go to town cutting stuff apart. You get kind of spoiled on separating the central segment from the rest of everything else and throwing it into the fire on Mackerels. That's not really very viable with Javelins and absolutely impossible with passenger Geckos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The javelin class doesn’t have any safe way to flush fuel from the thrusters

One thing that I like is how Blackbird has been iterating on the design principles behind how the ships are put together since launch and update the old designs to match. The new airlock components for example are more interesting than the simple wall structures that airlocks were initially made from. Same with how cases where inner hull and outer hull were directly fused together (old gecko cockpit) have been fixed so it consistently works by cut points or framing metal.