Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Vando posted:

Gravity is downforce so he's right

There was a video from the technical lead of the R35 GT-R who when asked why the car was so heavy explained something along those lines, I can't find the video now it was pretty interesting.

Also the people posting about 80's F1 is kewl, I seem to have a poo poo memory because I watched like the 85 to 89 season a few years back and can't remember a single thing apart from the stupid way they sorted out who won which was somehow so dumb I forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Was that the whole dropped points thing?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Was it the year where Mansell lost to Patrese in the williams, I'm probably wrong cuz I can't remember

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Wow this Meateater Dickspin guy sounds like a piece of work

Therefore totally not surprising he’s in F1

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

WindyMan posted:

Hello, foreigners!

On Christmas Day, we are bringing Winter Heat to the SASCAR Discord! We'll be simulwatching the 2020 World Figure 8 Championship 3-Hour Enduro race. The first hour will be a one-hour pre-show featuring various Winter Heat favorite races, followed by the 4-hour replay of the live broadcast. Festivities will start at 11 a.m Pacific / 2 p.m. Eastern / 7 p.m. GMT on December 25. Chat will be in the new #winterheat channel.

You will need to be on Discord desktop to join the live stream. It's 5 hours if you want to watch the whole thing, which you probably will because it is Christmas and there's Covid so you are probably alone and miserable. :smith: So cheer up by watching some batshit crazy racing! :unsmith:

See this post for more info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874931&pagenumber=3#post510988516

this sounds like fun

Sulman posted:

Do you have a competing hypothesis or are you just going to continue sucking your own dick?

Don't worry about answering, I won't see it.

stop posting michael

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bring back probations for rivals.com puns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f015MaNaA9M

Worth a rewatch. And then they got Keke who wrestled the hell out of that Williams too. '82 is fun, enjoy!

I really enjoy the slower battle and non-screaming commentary here

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One of the things I like about the commentary in the 81 season is the silence. Sometimes, if nothing's happening and there's no technical information to explain, they just shut up and let you enjoy the chill footage of cars circling the track.

Edit: Made myself a guide to the 82 season

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 24, 2020

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...mpaign=widget-1

I do wish they come good again

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

One of the things I like about the commentary in the 81 season is the silence. Sometimes, if nothing's happening and there's no technical information to explain, they just shut up and let you enjoy the chill footage of cars circling the track.

*in poois shamilton fan voice*
i'd rather watch star treck than watch old races!!!

but srsly this is kewl and makes me want to look to see what seasons I've god downloaded. Although I wonder if someones ripped better versions from the f1tv archive now

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

track day bro! posted:

*in poois shamilton fan voice*
i'd rather watch star treck than watch old races!!!

but srsly this is kewl and makes me want to look to see what seasons I've god downloaded. Although I wonder if someones ripped better versions from the f1tv archive now

The archive quality is all over the place, and as I'm sure you know they only have a limited number of full races when you start going back a few years, the rest of them are extended highlights which will do in a pinch but you lose so much of the race structure.

When I went through the 80s the thing I enjoyed was the enormously varied signage from track to track, and the fact that Imola didn't change at all for over a decade.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

ilmucche posted:

I really enjoy the slower battle and non-screaming commentary here

When you say slower do you mean the lack of overtaking aids like DRS? I thought it was interesting how quickly one forgets how overtaking used to be. I liked being able to see how at places like Hungary you could see the benefit of a big power difference out of the final corner, having been nose to tail around the infield.

Commentary wise I think it's an American thing that has crept into a lot of sports. British commentary was usually fairly subdued. Murray was unusual by those standards, if well-loved for it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The ones I have the broadcast starting in french and then all of a sudden it would switch to English. I definitely remember a few of them being the US broadcast too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Simon Roberts is cool and good and will lead the team back to glory and soon enough Rebus will be up there on the podium

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

Simon Roberts is cool and good and will lead the team back to glory and soon enough Rebus will be up there on the podium

Despite some initial scepticism at the VC owner intentions I've got to admit he seems to be the right sort, he even sounds like he's from the Willliams tree.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sulman posted:

When you say slower do you mean the lack of overtaking aids like DRS? I thought it was interesting how quickly one forgets how overtaking used to be. I liked being able to see how at places like Hungary you could see the benefit of a big power difference out of the final corner, having been nose to tail around the infield.

Commentary wise I think it's an American thing that has crept into a lot of sports. British commentary was usually fairly subdued. Murray was unusual by those standards, if well-loved for it.

i literally meant slower paced, but i also like that car differences played into it as you said.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

While on the 80s, this gets posted periodically. It's two-part documentary on the turbo era, specifically the development of the Cosworth V6. Features a lot of familiar faces, including Alan Jones and a very young Ross Brawn. The microprocessor EMU for the V6 is about the size of a laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkxGx5WJzA

Ferrari were still awful too, should you need any motivation to watch it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The thing about the 80s battles is how close the cars follow each other, it looks really jarring coming from watching modern races

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Vando posted:

The thing about the 80s battles is how close the cars follow each other, it looks really jarring coming from watching modern races

The possibilities in tyre strategy too, and that tyres were not the main subject of commentary, unless it was Lauda suddenly charging through the field.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Sulman posted:

I think it's British commentators feeling they have to live up to Murray, instead of having their own personality and commentary style. This means they're all pair imitations of a mad man.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think it's British commentators feeling they have to live up to Murray, instead of having their own personality and commentary style. This means they're all pair imitations of a mad man.

Haha, are you by chance referring to one David Croft? He's bloody awful.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Vando posted:

The solution to every problem has been "MORE AERO" for the last 30 years and the quality of racing has gone done as a result.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Murray was adorable even in his “old man constantly mistaken” late phase. Crofty is unpleasant and dull, I sincerely hate his commentary

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Murray was adorable even in his “old man constantly mistaken” late phase. Crofty is unpleasant and dull, I sincerely hate his commentary

I didn't used to mind him, he started around the time I moved away from the UK and was stuck with American commentary (a whole other story...) but as ESPN and F1TV use the Sky feed I've heard a lot more of it. His enthusiasm and crescendos always sound forced, as if he's not really into it. He also comes across as a bit of a know-it-all, and has these weird occasional rants like 'banning blue flags' as if he has never watched a single race before.

Sadly he's firmly entrenched and I doubt that will change.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is awesome.

Just watched Monaco '82 and the last 10 laps are WILD. The rain starts on lap 65 and Rosberg bins it, Daly spins and loses half his front wing, his entire rear wing, and part of his gearbox casing and keeps driving for another eight laps. Prost bins it with two laps left after leading most of the race, letting Patrese through. Patrese spins at the hairpin on the penultimate lap, and Pironi and de Cesaris get through, but they both run out of fuel on the last lap, allowing Patrese, who managed to not stall, to come back through to first. Pironi actually parked up on the racing line in the tunnel. Mansell is a lap down and crucially is unable to unlap himself before Patrese wins, meaning that Pironi and de Cesaris get on the podium despite not finishing. On his victory lap, Patrese stops and picks up Pironi in the tunnel, giving him a ride further down the track. Patrese doesn't even know he's won until some seconds after he parks up and someone lets him know. Daly made it one more lap than Prost, so he gets the last points position despite also not finishing.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've just tried using the chart I made in a race and I realised it's better if I sort by "Vague Colour" then number.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

82 is such a great season. I know Keke caught a lot of flack for “not earning the championship” but when you look at his drives in 83 and 84 he more than proved he was a worthy champion. ‘84 Dallas is probably my favourite race of all time, you could see the Williams flex whenever the Honda’s turbo finally spooled up enough to put its power down.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond do you have that F1 engine website still? There’s some good reads on that and it’s really detailed on the different design philosophy of the different engine manufacturers. There’s a lot of good coverage of the turbo era on that site.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've just tried using the chart I made in a race and I realised it's better if I sort by "Vague Colour" then number.

It should be illegal how similar the McClaren and Alfa Romeos are in grainy 1982 SD footage.

I love the shape of the Brabham and, to a lesser extent, the March. This was the era when airboxes behind the roll hoop were banned? Makes for some really cool-looking cars, imo.

And while there's a lot of good racing, there are also a ton of just poo poo performances. Cars being lapped like six times is a common thing, and we barely even see half the field (esp. in the condensed races) because the coverage never shows the backmarkers except when they're being lapped. I feel like I have yet to see a Fittipaldi, Theodore, or Ensign.

Edit: Piquet doesn't qualify for Detroit 82, wtf. This is some track.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 24, 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

bgreman posted:

It should be illegal how similar the McClaren and Alfa Romeos are in grainy 1982 SD footage.

Marlboro Italy had a separate budget from the rest of Marlboro, which is why they ended up with nearly identical liveries. Its is also why crashy Italian boi had such a long career.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

bgreman posted:

Edit: Piquet doesn't qualify for Detroit 82, wtf. This is some track.

Drove me nuts in the '83 season at the start, but you get your eye in pretty quickly with the black rear wing. Detroit was a real physical challenge, it was a shame they didn't go back after '89. The plan was to use Belle Isle but I guess the deal was never finalized. F1 cars there would have been interesting.

In terms of the dogshit reliability, I think John Barnard said this was a big motivator for electronically governed electro-mechanical shifting. Many failures were somewhere in the drive train as drivers inevitably abused the transmission and engine, particularly at places like Detroit. That and the boost race.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bgreman posted:

I'm not too bad with the two Marlboro teams, because the white blob on the Alfa's nose looks much larger than the thin streak on the McLaren's. I do think it should be a rule, though, that one team member wears a bright/white helmet and the other wears a dark/black helmet. I struggle with the Renaults because their helmets both look white.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Anyone else following along at home, the beginning of Canada 82 features a very bad fatal wreck at the start. Viewer discretion is advised. :gonk:

In case it's not clear, I'm an American with little sense of historical F1. I was into it when I could catch races on TV in the mid-90s as a kid (I had the F1 video game on N64) but really only started watching this season. It's neat seeing all these drivers from the early 80s seasons who I only know when they'd show up after their F1 careers in IndyCar or CART or whatever. Salazar, Boesel, Fittipaldi, Cheever, I first learned of them watching the Indy 500.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 24, 2020

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

oh yeah that was the barbecue on the starting straight one wasn't it

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

bgreman posted:

Anyone else following along at home, the beginning of Canada 82 features a very bad fatal wreck at the start. Viewer discretion is advised. :gonk:

In case it's not clear, I'm an American with little sense of historical F1. I was into it when I could catch races on TV in the mid-90s as a kid (I had the F1 video game on N64) but really only started watching this season. It's neat seeing all these drivers from the early 80s seasons who I only know when they'd show up after their F1 careers in IndyCar or CART or whatever. Salazar, Boesel, Fittipaldi, Cheever, I first learned of them watching the Indy 500.

Cheever was a bit of an enigma. He was really great on his day, but sort of fizzled out. Stick around for 83 as he has a good run against a very hard teammate. Did you ever hear him speak? He sounds like your typical European driver.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

the paradigm shift posted:

oh yeah that was the barbecue on the starting straight one wasn't it

They got the fire under control pretty quickly but Paletti was beyond rescue immediately after the initial collision.

Sulman posted:

Cheever was a bit of an enigma. He was really great on his day, but sort of fizzled out. Stick around for 83 as he has a good run against a very hard teammate. Did you ever hear him speak? He sounds like your typical European driver.

Yeah I intend to watch everything available. I can keep one of these on while WFH and really power through them. I originally thought I'd be pretty bored but the racing is generally interesting and the commentary blows Crofty out of the water.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just finished San Marino, and what an amazing climax to this tragic tale! These two drivers locked in a bitter duel over their pride and honour, as though every Italian trope had sang from the circuit and their cars to foretell that this swordfight would be to the death. Like the works of Shakespeare or the operas sang in old, there's something horribly horribly human about the spectacle, the drama, and the end of it all. I was a fool to think that this would be a boring race after Arnoux was out of the standings.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What the gently caress

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if team orders are relayed to both drivers these days?

One thing that struck me about Villeneuve and Pironi here is that the instructions for Pironi to slow down were on a pit board. Gilles knew that Didier had instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just finished San Marino, and what an amazing climax to this tragic tale! These two drivers locked in a bitter duel over their pride and honour, as though every Italian trope had sang from the circuit and their cars to foretell that this swordfight would be to the death. Like the works of Shakespeare or the operas sang in old, there's something horribly horribly human about the spectacle, the drama, and the end of it all. I was a fool to think that this would be a boring race after Arnoux was out of the standings.
Look I dunno what thread you think you're posting in here but this is not the place for that