Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Garrand posted:

GBorBB talk about a ridiculous Christmas movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga3skxdlk0k

i love bad movies but i found this very frustrating to watch lol. from the start, the part where they assume the composer is a chippendale because they googled his name and it was the first result was really weird. i dont know enough about the channel to know if that was a sincere suggestion or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVX4bCelIqg

Writing on Games did a video on Cyberpunk, which actually makes it look pretty compelling, at least for this sidequest. I'll definitely pick it up on sale once they've fixed all the bugs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quinn Curio managed to sneak her video in, watch it while you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzBoQROSnaM&t=2479s

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SimonChris posted:

Writing on Games did a video on Cyberpunk, which actually makes it look pretty compelling, at least for this sidequest. I'll definitely pick it up on sale once they've fixed all the bugs.

The game's got very strong writing and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up with a cult following like all buggy-but-well-written games have gotten over the years.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Archer666 posted:

The game's got very strong writing and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up with a cult following like all buggy-but-well-written games have gotten over the years.

I mean, people are pretty into The Witcher 3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nuns with Guns posted:

Going back to the last page's discussion: Bethesda is the great evil of our time, but on the other hand, if we didn't have Oblivion we wouldn't have Demon's Souls and then Dark Souls and then Bloodborne. So maybe great evils... are good?

What's the connection? Wasn't Demon's Souls a sort of spiritual successor to the king's field style of games given the many references to them?

EDIT: I finally listened to the bethesda guy talk about writing and this video is driving me nuts. It genuinely kind of annoys me the way he like, seems to have active disdain for players like a lovely DM does? I could very easily read too much into it but the way he says "they just want to throw their paper airplanes" and it's like, dude. People would want to engage with your story if your story captured them in any way. But it doesn't, because the story in these games is just so much rear end that tooling around pointlessly is more fun and more interesting. Like the one anecdote he has about the brotherhood of steel questline where he just outright says "you're wrong, and we know you're wrong" in reference to players thinking another, scrapped, idea would have been more fun just really sucks and this guy's entire attitude explains so much about why fallout 3 and 4 are bad if he's the one with a lot of influence over what goes into the game.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 24, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Archer666 posted:

It has sold like 13 million copies, it doesn't need a "cult following"

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Andrast posted:

It has sold like 13 million copies, it doesn't need a "cult following"

It'll join other famed cult classics like Call of Duty and the movie Titanic.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nuebot posted:

What's the connection? Wasn't Demon's Souls a sort of spiritual successor to the king's field style of games given the many references to them?

It is, but it only came about to begin with because Sony wanted some of that Oblivion action. Miyazaki talked about it for a bit in an interview he did with 4Gamer about Bloodborne, translated here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bloodborne-4gamer-interview-with-hidetaka-miyazaki-fully-translated.840059/

quote:

Miyazaki: But with Armored Core for Answer, we were working on that in parallel with Demon’s Souls, so there were quite a few challenges. When Demon’s Souls was in the initial planning stages, and right around the time it was entering the prototype phase, I came on as the director, and at the time, it was a completely different and very difficult project compared to what it ended up becoming.

4Gamer: Is that so?

Miyazaki: Yes. One thing I remember was that the camera perspective was completely different.

At the time, the plan was to make it first-person, or more specifically, a game in which you switched between first and third-person perspectives.

4Gamer: Wow, really?

Miyazaki: Yeah. At the time, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was a really big deal, and I think SCE wanted a game similar to that.

From my perspective, though, I didn’t think we could compete by taking the same approach as Oblivion, so I wanted to focus more on gameplay elements like battles and exploration, and had to do a lot to convince everyone that a third-person camera was the way to go.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BrendianaJones posted:

Criminally Listed is actually one of the few true crime channels I enjoy. His voice is an aquired taste but it's well researched and doesn't just cover the same cases as everyone else all the time AKAIK.

I totally get why other people can't enjoy his voice, though.

He does definitely hit up cases that aren't well known which is why I think I clicked on him to begin with. But his way of speaking makes it really hard to listen to not in an annoying way but the trailing off/stretching out the last syllables makes it somewhat hard to follow if I'm listening to it while doing something else. There's no natural flow.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuebot posted:

Like Shinji2015 said, Sony was looking for a western-style open world RPG to rival Oblivion, because Oblivion was going to be Xbox 360-exclusive on the consoles for a year and that was no good. So they tapped this little studio called FromSoftware to make a Sony-exclusive game for them. And it makes some sense when you look at the King's Field games, which as you mentioned, do still influence the Souls games a ton and were kind of primitive but still compelling first person style RPGs that aren't that far off from the style and gameplay of the older TES games. Anyway, the game development was a nightmare and apparently pretty much everyone in FromSoft and Sony had given up on it when Hidetaka Miyazaki successfully lobbied to take over direction on the game and re-shaped it into what we got, partially skating by on not being noticed and also just lying and not telling a lot of Sony people how hard it'd be or ignoring some mandates that were originally in place to make it more like Oblivion.

Except a lot of initial players and reviewers and Sony executives disliked the difficulty and opaque story, so Sony opted not to publish the game outside of Japan. However, there was an English text version made for Asian markets, and all the voice acting was done in English by default since they were designing it in a more western medieval style. So some people were able to import that version and built a cult hype around the game in the West, which led to Atlus publishing the game in North America, and Namco Bandai publishing it in the PAL territories to respectable success. And Namco Bandai saw the potential there, so they agreed to publish another game in that vein that wasn't a Sony-exclusive: Dark Souls.

The game exploded and Sony poo poo themselves for passing on that, and went back to FromSoft to commission another Sony exclusive game in the same style: Bloodborne.

And this is why we can indirectly thank Todd Howard for something good happening for once.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 24, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: I finally listened to the bethesda guy talk about writing and this video is driving me nuts. It genuinely kind of annoys me the way he like, seems to have active disdain for players like a lovely DM does? I could very easily read too much into it but the way he says "they just want to throw their paper airplanes" and it's like, dude. People would want to engage with your story if your story captured them in any way. But it doesn't, because the story in these games is just so much rear end that tooling around pointlessly is more fun and more interesting. Like the one anecdote he has about the brotherhood of steel questline where he just outright says "you're wrong, and we know you're wrong" in reference to players thinking another, scrapped, idea would have been more fun just really sucks and this guy's entire attitude explains so much about why fallout 3 and 4 are bad if he's the one with a lot of influence over what goes into the game.

Yeah this is what really gets at me, he references past examples of players not being interested in engaging with his stories and just immediately jumps to the conclusion of "players don't want engaging story, they want a sandbox to gently caress around in" which just completely ignores the litany of games in which players rave about the writing - including games Bethesda has made - so that he doesn't have to confront the fact that maybe he's just a poo poo writer.

"Nobody likes my stories, so people must just not like stories period." - Lead Writer for Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and lead designer of Fallout 76 Emil Pagliarulo :suicide:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BrendianaJones posted:

Criminally Listed is actually one of the few true crime channels I enjoy. His voice is an aquired taste but it's well researched and doesn't just cover the same cases as everyone else all the time AKAIK.

yeah, i started watching thanks to this thread. its not bad but his voice is super acquired taste. he sounds like he reads everything pheonically/robot like.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

And this is why we can indirectly thank Todd Howard for something good happening for once.

I'm good

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah this is what really gets at me, he references past examples of players not being interested in engaging with his stories and just immediately jumps to the conclusion of "players don't want engaging story, they want a sandbox to gently caress around in" which just completely ignores the litany of games in which players rave about the writing - including games Bethesda has made - so that he doesn't have to confront the fact that maybe he's just a poo poo writer.

"Nobody likes my stories, so people must just not like stories period." - Lead Writer for Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and lead designer of Fallout 76 Emil Pagliarulo :suicide:

The bit early on where he talks about how Casablanca seems like a love story on its face but it's actually about sacrifice, how the Incredibles is about superheroes on its face but it's really about family, then he gets to Skyrim being superficially about dragons but really it's, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :discourse:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
*Checks the (urban) dictonary for what Cult Following means*
ANYWAY
Here's Big Daddy Top Hat looking at Legends of Wrestling, a wrestling game that Acclaim (WWF Warzone, WWF Attitude) tried to use to get back into the good graces of wrestling fans).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVMN4-D3E2U

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

The bit early on where he talks about how Casablanca seems like a love story on its face but it's actually about sacrifice, how the Incredibles is about superheroes on its face but it's really about family, then he gets to Skyrim being superficially about dragons but really it's, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :discourse:

Yeah it's unintentional gold.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
a present from Dan: a video about what people think make movies qualify as Christmas movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5ZlOAvzAo

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N274EurzpAA

Here's a two hour vid on Jodi Arias

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last podcast episode was great. Shes insane

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gnome de plume posted:

a present from Dan: a video about what people think make movies qualify as Christmas movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5ZlOAvzAo
Into The Spider-Verse is a Christmas movie. :colbert:

Not the best, though, that's Muppet Christmas Carol.

It looks like it's a two-parter with Movies with Mikey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JSod6pIRM

Edit: oh hey, it's actually about a system for determining the Christmasness of movies! I'll have to rewatch ITSV to check its score.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 25, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SimonChris posted:

By the time we get, I don't know, CP 2077 Chrome and Steel Edition with all the DLC and it being fixed it will be game of the year, not unlike Witcher 3 was.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Patrick Willem's new video about the Greatest Showman. And if you hate his regular skits boy are you going to hate this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta4OlRzItbM

fun hater posted:

i love bad movies but i found this very frustrating to watch lol. from the start, the part where they assume the composer is a chippendale because they googled his name and it was the first result was really weird. i dont know enough about the channel to know if that was a sincere suggestion or not.

Eh, it's more of just kind of a throwaway thing. If you notice they never bring it back up again, more of a 'wouldn't it be funny' kinda thing.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 25, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

And then he hits fallout 4 and keeps bumbling back to "So it's about androids." "It's about robots that look like people." Also, the part where he says they went back to look at games well known for their dialogue and specifically cites Mass Effect and Telletale games but like, they don't seem to have looked at games absolutely beloved for their dialogue or are famous specifically for their dialogue like, I don't know, New Vegas or even older RPGs like maybe fallout and fallout two which, while certainly clunky, people tend to talk about how they liked those conversations and dialogues.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Curious to know how many youtubers live off YouTube and aren’t just pumping out easy content like Twitch clips or unedited Let’s Plays.

Like, Jim Sterling pumps out a video each week of scripted content, and they still can’t live without Patreon due to the broken copyright claim system.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Curious to know how many youtubers live off YouTube and aren’t just pumping out easy content like Twitch clips or unedited Let’s Plays.

Like, Jim Sterling pumps out a video each week of scripted content, and they still can’t live without Patreon due to the broken copyright claim system.

Of the ones I follow Drew Gooden (2.7m subscribers) and Danny Gonzalez (4.2m subscribers) both do Youtube as their fulltime jobs and neither have Patreons. They do supplement with merch stores and ad deals but that's it. Danny does well enough that he was able to do a video where he was going to spend $20k on ads (he ended up not paying that much.)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Thing is most things do kinda go back to the YouTube channel anyway, I wouldn't have any Patrons if it wasn't for YouTube. I live perfectly fine without a "day job" but it's a combination of several things -- YouTube revenue, Twitch revenue, Twitch stream sponsorship thanks to the awesome Antstream, other work I do for creators, Patreon. You can do this full time without having a million subs or anything like that, it's just a question of diversifying a bit (which you should really try to do anyway, I think it's a bit risky to rely entirely on YT ad revenue alone. Of all my revenue streams, it's absolutely the most volatile). I could do more if I chose to.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I think hour for hour. The effort put in counted against money earned then youtube is often on the low end. Especially since the youtube algorithm actively punishes you if you put too much effort into your video. Youtube wants high quality 5 minute videos.

On the other hand I stopped being a Patreon for some leftist Youtubers that I liked because they moved away from monthly well produced and sourced political youtube content to 98% twitch streaming which is something I don't watch.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sorry this is off topic but I do want to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas :unsmith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jamie Faith posted:

Sorry this is off topic but I do want to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas :unsmith:

This is extremely on topic.

Merry Xmas and happy holidays everybody.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eww, Christmas is just Christian-Judeo Western propaganda to push consumerism and "traditional" values on people.

anyway merry xmas to y'all too

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Happy Holidays, thread.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Merry Christmas, thread. And let’s not forget the true spirit of the holidays: staring in bafflement at terrible cartoons, when you’re not switching your brain off to enjoy some cheesy made-for-tv movies.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

People give Todd poo poo but Emil really seems to be the one driving the worst problems. Todd's a bald faced liar of a carnival hype man but I'm not clear on what he does where you can clearly see the huge problems Emil causes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jamie Faith posted:

Merry Christmas!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

Merry Christmas

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Merry Christmas. And to all, a good night!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BrendianaJones posted:

The voice actually didn't annoy me too much. I have a brother who had an assortment of speech impediments so I usually don't care too much about that stuff.... But dude will not stop calling murdered trans women transsexual/transvestite men in tyool 2020 and I just couldn't ignore it in the end.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 25, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Happy holidays, thread. What would I do without you? Be radicalized by the algorithm, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Well that's no reason to apologize. That's downright wholesome.

Merry Christmas ya'll. And Happy Holidays if Christmas is bullshit and you won't have it in your house.