Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait Jump has reruns?

Yeah, I wasn’t aware they did manga reruns (hell, even anime reruns are kind of rare in Japan from what I understand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The apps do, at least.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I haven’t bought a physical copy of Jump since the 90s when I would occasionally get a copy to flip through so I am not aware of what is actually running new via the app other than obvious titles.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, Gintama had at least two TV reruns and

Mikl posted:

Jump series tend to run six, seven, eight years at most, even the most wildly popular of them. Naruto and Bleach were outliers at fifteen years each, and One Piece and Hunter x Hunter are extreme outliers at twenty-three and twenty-two years, respectively. (Thought Hunter x Hunter doesn't really count.)

There isn't a single series that started between Hunter x Hunter (early 1998) and My Hero Academia (early 2014) that's still running; then you have one from 2015 (Black Clover), none from 2016, one from 2017 (Dr. Stone), one from 2018 (Jujutsu Kaisen), and one from 2019 (Mission Yozakura Family). All the rest are from 2020.

Jump turnover and attrition is insane.
Not what I meant (and I know you were not necessarily replying to me) but... like, it sure feels like the era of decade-spanning series/ those type of outliers that used to be the "memorable" stuff seems to have their days numbered.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Onmi posted:

Like... I'm not saying he can't die, I'm just saying that it's an utter loving crock of poo poo if he does given everything the series has been trying to say.

Yeah, Horikoshi literally had All Might look directly at the reader and say he wasn't going to die, I don't know how much clearer it could be.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All Might shouldn't die, but we should still see the moment where Nighteye's vision showed him dying and show how All Might/Deku/everyone else defies that fate.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Regardless of whether he does or doesn't, the scene addressing it still needs to happen, it's not just going to get quietly dropped and never mentioned again.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wild prediction here: the vision Nighteye saw was Shigaraki/AfO killing All Might and Deku prevents that fate by saving Shiggy from All For One.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wasn't "kill All-Might" one of the main motivations driving Shigaraki? That plus All-Might's feeling of guilt over Shigaraki being Nana's grandchild and his inability to save him should probably be also addressed in some way before the manga ends.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Regardless of whether he does or doesn't, the scene addressing it still needs to happen, it's not just going to get quietly dropped and never mentioned again.

thinking really hard about how we got resolution to the traitor plotline

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wasn't "kill All-Might" one of the main motivations driving Shigaraki? That plus All-Might's feeling of guilt over Shigaraki being Nana's grandchild and his inability to save him should probably be also addressed in some way before the manga ends.

Shigaraki wanted to kill All Might, but it was less due to personal animosity and more due to the fact that All Might was the living symbol of the society Shigaraki hates and wants to destroy and killing him in a public manner would have accomplished that destruction pretty nicely. When All Might lost his powers and retired in an extremely public manner it sort of made that motivation moot - killing him at this point might make people sad, but it's not going to massively shake peoples' confidence in society like the active #1 hero losing a fight(or getting outed as a villain-adjacent rear end in a top hat) would.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 24, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

thinking really hard about how we got resolution to the traitor plotline

With everything else that's come up during this arc, I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed the traitor plot within the next few chapters.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rhonne posted:

With everything else that's come up during this arc, I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed the traitor plot within the next few chapters.

More specifically if there had been a traitor, they were doing an incredibly bad job of tipping off the league and allies of this massive and highly coordinated hero operation.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

More specifically if there had been a traitor, they were doing an incredibly bad job of tipping off the league and allies of this massive and highly coordinated hero operation.

Theoretically, the traitor knows the inner workings of the school, not of the overall hero society.

Basically, it's Lunch Rush.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Was the traitor not Hawks? I always thought the traitor was Hawks. It’s been awhile since I read that stuff though so I assume there’s a good reason he has been ruled out.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nrook posted:

Was the traitor not Hawks? I always thought the traitor was Hawks. It’s been awhile since I read that stuff though so I assume there’s a good reason he has been ruled out.

Hawks was doing other double agent stuff but not involved with the early raids at all so far as we know

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

nrook posted:

The traitor - if there was one and it isn't just a dropped plot thread or something handwaved away which it probably is - would have had to be someone familiar with the specific scheduling and movements of the UA Hero Class when they were taking specific precautions to hide the class's movements and location. Hawks doesn't work at UA or have any real connection to it that we're aware of.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I will say that we've seen every student at some point during this raid except for Monoma.

EDIT:

Also, the Vigilantes Vol. 11 cover is great:

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 24, 2020

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kanos posted:

The traitor - if there was one and it isn't just a dropped plot thread or something handwaved away which it probably is - would have had to be someone familiar with the specific scheduling and movements of the UA Hero Class when they were taking specific precautions to hide the class's movements and location. Hawks doesn't work at UA or have any real connection to it that we're aware of.

I've seen theories that the 'traitor' was actually Kurogiri. He has the body of a former student so he might (depending on how much he's been allowed to remember) already know the UA layout, allowing him to easily teleport around the campus and get whatever info he wanted. Hell, he might even still have access to Shirakumo's student ID info and could potentially use it to access internal computer systems. It'd probably be flagged pretty quickly and shut down but the assumption wouldn't be "Shirakumo is back from the dead and a villain" but rather "someone is using a dead student's ID in order to not be caught."

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Mirko is just Mina with battle experience.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Mirko is just Mina with battle experience.

The combined power of sweet kicks and sweet uppercuts would be unstoppable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Onmi posted:

Nighteye "The future can't be changed, I predicted a grisly demise and I've never been able to change my visions, I've lost hope. But Deku managed to defy my visions and give me hope that the future is not fixed."
All For One "You know, in regular story progression, you should have died to provide Deku with the proper pathos and motivation to become the greatest hero All Might. But you survived, defying my limited framing of story convention that I've often twisted to my own malicious ends."
Fans: Wow All Might is definitely going to die.

Like... I'm not saying he can't die, I'm just saying that it's an utter loving crock of poo poo if he does given everything the series has been trying to say.

Basically this; if he was going to die the narrative timing was when he did his final fight with All For One and he defied the dead mentor tropes there when everyone thought he was going to. If he dies in the story I imagine it's going to be at the end of the story, probably due to his wound or something, rather than any kind of brutal end as predicted. Possibly like, passing away during the final fight as Deku does his final smash to blast the ghost of AFO out of the villain with the power of all of the OFA predecessors behind his fist.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShonenSalto/status/1342418985422303235?s=20

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Merry Christmas thread, my gift to you is a brand new VIGILANTES!

Featuring Pre-injury All Might out of his "All Might" form!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Might Signal is amazing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
All Might is the best character

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
All Might is my favorite Superman subversion. Too many works go “what if Superman was a bad guy???” All Might is just as heroic as Superman, it’s just destroying him to be that way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This being The Injury makes perfect sense. All Might's running 72 hours without sleep, he's overextending, and All For One is, in turn, overcommitting. This is the perfect time for both of them to come at each other desperate and sloppy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's nice to see Nighteye not being awful for once.

Also, All for One's talk about Quirk imbalances being the defining trait of a villain reminds me of that Ultimate X-Men comic where Wolverine kills a kid whose power is "Make people near me spontaneously combust from the inside out".

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 25, 2020

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My pillow! Didn't mean to bring this

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

thetoughestbean posted:

All Might is my favorite Superman subversion. Too many works go “what if Superman was a bad guy???” All Might is just as heroic as Superman, it’s just destroying him to be that way

i'm more interested in him than deku absolutely

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's nice to see Nighteye not being awful for once.

Also, All for One's talk about Quirk imbalances being the defining trait of a villain reminds me of that Ultimate X-Men comic where Wolverine kills a kid whose power is "Make people near me spontaneously combust from the inside out".

It also speaks to the philosophy of MHA as a whole where their society is so preoccupied with order and a definition of "normal" that those who fall through the cracks by failing to meet their standards become labelled as "villains." All for One can make anyone become a "villain" simply by meeting a certain standard of disturbing the peace, as we've seen throughout Vigilantes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

Something has been bugging me about the idea that the manga is gonna end soon. There's a lot of stuff we have to go through first unless the story is going to leave a lot of plot/potential character threads dangling and go for an unconventional ending:

1. Giving the squadron leaders in the PLA at least a few fights -- they got unique enough character designs and a whole bunch of splash pages that I'd be surprised if they were never touched upon again
1a. General PLA resolution and Destro payoff
2. Toga's character arc with Ochaco/Deku
2a. Tokoyami character arc
2b. Momo character arc
3. Oji Harima and Compress (similarly, for this reason I don't at all expect Compress to actually die here)
4. OFA #2 and #3
5. All Might's death
6. UA Years 2 and 3, unless the academy gets shut down and the students get a "school of hard knocks" education
7. Implied/foreshadowed collapse of Hero Society and rebuild
8. Hellish Todoroki Family resolution

Like, that's easily 100+ chapters, right? Even if they were all addressed in sequence with no downtime or fluff or anything in between?

He also planned on the tournament arc being around ten chapters, so you know, grain of salt.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Uraraka vs Bakugo should have been 8 chapters and ended with Ochako winning

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I just want to see Uraraka shoryuken someone to the moon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Raws for the next chapter (along with raws for other series like One Piece) have shown up- I think the next official issue/Viz release is all the way next week though on January 3rd.

Spoilers, if you really cannot wait: https://pastebin.com/2ZsfZPZE

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 27, 2020

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MHA chapter spoilers:

Fuuuu Midnight died?? Guess Villains and Heroes traded casualties with Twice and Midnight

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 28, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol there's a reason I pastebinned it instead of using our spoiler tags. Only posted it since it's gonna be another whole week before it shows up officially.

Incidentally I wish we had the clickable spoiler tags other forums have where it literally hides them in a frame with a button so you can't just mouse over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So...the raws are out, which means the scans are coming, yet we're not getting an official release until after New Years?

...alright then