Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
“Share house” is now “capitalist commune”? :cheersbird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It kind of makes the FFVII house look like a well reasoned idea, in that it was basically an exploitative cult and not a deluded attempt at social justice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like that the "low income" rooms all went to poets. Okay we'll let in a few poor people, but they need to be cool poor people.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mike Pence announces that members of the Space Force will be called 'Guardians'
A NAME CHOSEN BY SPACE PROFESSIONALS, FOR SPACE PROFESSIONALS

We live in the dumbest reality

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like that the "low income" rooms all went to poets. Okay we'll let in a few poor people, but they need to be cool poor people.

I have never met a cool poet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

plus a $210 fee to cover ... free coffee
Forget "commune", they don't even know what "free" means.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tiggum posted:

They know exactly what free means in a capitalist society.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:smith:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like that the "low income" rooms all went to poets. Okay we'll let in a few poor people, but they need to be cool poor people poverty LARPers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The best part of capitalism is the alienation and never having to interact with other human beings, so this just sounds like the worst of both worlds

Tiggum posted:

Taxing people to provide public services, this is more like a social-democratic commune at best

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Dec 19, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah sounds like they're having an easier time of it than Western Australia this year

e: the latter probably have hyper-aggressive birds (that are on fire) flying around while dropping huge venomous spiders on them

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phlegmish posted:

Ah sounds like they're having an easier time of it than Western Australia this year

e: the latter probably have hyper-aggressive birds (that are on fire) flying around while dropping huge venomous spiders on them

I read that as people sitting in trees dropping spiders on flaming birds.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Terrance Hayes is cool as hell.

He doesn’t live in the share house-for-profit nightmare we were discussing, though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I thought we just called those gated communities?

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is that the goatman?
:eek:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phlegmish posted:

Nah, we have birds that spread fire on purpose.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Terrance Hayes is cool as hell.

He doesn’t live in the share house-for-profit nightmare we were discussing, though.

I have never met Terrance Hayes.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

This got an extreme double take out of me.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ELLEmagazine/status/1340803953773191168

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
love how the headline implicitly compares Shkreli to Jeffrey MacDonald

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Octopuses Observed Punching Fish, Perhaps Out of Spite, Scientists Say

https://www.sciencealert.com/octopu...LuOxGCQpg4nGMjs

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Captain Monkey posted:

Octopuses Observed Punching Fish, Perhaps Out of Spite, Scientists Say

https://www.sciencealert.com/octopu...LuOxGCQpg4nGMjs

quote:

It's just that partner control – when delivered by an octopus – is a tad more brutal than your average buffet queue experience.
I see they have not made it to the crab leg buffet.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Look forward to them washing ashore in 30 years like those garfield phones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A major shipping accident?

So a fight on a Dragon Ball Z fan cruise got out of hand?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is a trail of shipping containers lining the ocean floor amongst the shipping lanes.

Between the difficulty of bringing them up, and the value of the items inside, they just leave them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnny Aztec posted:

There is a trail of shipping containers lining the ocean floor amongst the shipping lanes.

Between the difficulty of bringing them up, and the value of the items inside, they just leave them.

They leave them till the items inside become sufficiently valuable to archæologists or physicists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Littering the ocean floor is the good option. Bad case they float just under the surface ready to wreck any boat that runs into them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All is Lost with Robert Redford is a pretty good film about that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dang it, you got my hopes up that I'd missed that detail.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://nypost.com/2020/12/24/bodybuilders-sex-doll-wife-breaks-right-before-christmas/

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

They leave them till the items inside become sufficiently valuable to archæologists or physicists.

That is really neat!

Not sure why fresh mined Lead has unstable isotopes, and these ignots have all decayed, but that is above my paygrade.

For the metal containers, they are actually becoming mini-reefs and ecosystems. Coral is growing on the older ones, and that draws in other creatures, which draws in other creatures, etc etc etc

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is really neat!

Not sure why fresh mined Lead has unstable isotopes, and these ignots have all decayed, but that is above my paygrade.

For the metal containers, they are actually becoming mini-reefs and ecosystems. Coral is growing on the older ones, and that draws in other creatures, which draws in other creatures, etc etc etc

Uranium is found in small amounts essentially everywhere in the ground - naturally occurring, not due to nuclear weapons or anything like that. There are a couple of radioactive isotopes of lead in the uranium decay chain, so accompanying that uranium will be a particular amount of radioactive lead. The radioactive lead decays, but is also constantly being replenished, so it exists in a steady state where the quantity is fairly constant.

This radioactive lead will get mixed in with any lead ore in the ground, so even after you refine it into pure lead, a portion of that lead will be radioactive. However, once it's removed from the presence of uranium, there will no longer be any new production of radioactive lead. After enough time, all of the radioactive lead will decay and there will only be pure lead - the end of the uranium decay chain is a stable isotope of lead.

So you could just make a lead ingot and wait for all the radioactive lead to disappear - but the half-life of lead-210 is 22.2 years. So you'll be waiting a while! But fortunately, Roman lead ingots that have been sitting at the bottom of the sea for a couple thousand years have been removed from the presence of uranium for long enough that all of the radioactive stuff is gone.

The radioactivity of modern lead isn't terribly huge, but it's too much for very sensitive physics experiments, so this "low-background lead" is really nice to have.

edit: There's also low-background steel, harvested from sunken pre-nuclear warships, which lacks the cobalt-60 and other crap that got into the air thanks to nuclear testing. Generally from scuttled ships, though, no one is tearing apart war graves for physics experiments.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Dec 24, 2020

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

edit: There's also low-background steel, harvested from sunken pre-nuclear warships, which lacks the cobalt-60 and other crap that got into the air thanks to nuclear testing. Generally from scuttled ships, though, no one is tearing apart war graves for physics experiments.

Also because that contamination is all airborne I believe it's relatively easy to filter out and make more low-background steel, at moderate cost.

Lead we're much more stuck with.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I believe I read that the demand for Pre-WW2 steel has been dropping because (due to the passage of time) the radioactivity has decayed enough that things are returning to Pre-WW2 levels?

Okay, instead of me just regurgitating some half-remembered line, I went and did a quick google:

quote:

So where do you get steel, which is a man-made material, that was made before 1945? Primarily from the ocean, in sunken ships from WWII. They weren’t exposed to the atomic age air when they were made, and haven’t been recycled and mixed with newer radioactive steel. We literally cut the ships apart underwater, scrape off the barnacles, and reuse the steel.

Fortunately, this is a problem that’s going away on its own, so the headline is really only appropriate as a great reference to a popular movie. After 1975, testing moved underground, reducing, but not eliminating, the amount of radiation pumped into the air. Since various treaties ending the testing of nuclear weapons, and thanks to the short half-life of some of the radioactive isotopes, the background radiation in the air has been decreasing. Cobalt-60 has a half-life of 5.26 years, which means that steel is getting less and less radioactive on its own (Cobalt-60 from 1945 would now be at .008% of original levels). The newer BOS technique exposes the steel to fewer impurities from the air, too. Eventually the need for special low background steel will be just a memory.

So, background radiation levels are dropping, and will eventually return to Pre-WW2 levels(barring any new Atomic events, of course)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Johnny Aztec posted:

(barring any new Atomic events, of course)

You had to say it, didn't you. There's still a week left of 2020 and you had to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BattleMaster posted:

People are absolutely tearing apart war graves in Southeast Asian waters for scrap metal.