Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Night10194 posted:

My sister has recovered from Covid! It was unpleasant, but never life threatening, thanks be to God. And my parents were not exposed. Her children are fine, too.

So glad to hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Night10194 posted:

My sister has recovered from Covid! It was unpleasant, but never life threatening, thanks be to God. And my parents were not exposed. Her children are fine, too.

Excellent news! Yeah, it was never really in the realm of life-threatening for my roommate and I but it's been a long road back.

On the subject of Christmas reading, I can't recommend a couple of stories from Connie Willis's "Miracle" anthology of Christmas stories highly enough. I like all the stories (and most everything she writes in general), but the two in particular I go back to every year around this time are "Adaptation", which very cleverly retells and subverts (in a loving way) A Christmas Carol by remembering that Scrooge wasn't just miserly, he was miserable, and "Epiphany" which is the closest I have ever come to seeing an explanation for pretty much everything I believe about Christ and Christianity in a work of fiction.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's the implicit "Christmas is about MY POLITICS", which is annoying even if you agree with it.

that is uh, really really factually not what the angry replies to that tweet are saying

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Y’all need to check out the Vatican’s nativity.

I’m not going to spoil it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Night10194 posted:

Glad to hear it! You keep safe as well Night!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that is uh, really really factually not what the angry replies to that tweet are saying

Having recognized the tweet is about religion and politics, they started arguing about religion and politics. That's why it was posted. It's twitter, that's pretty much what it's for.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

If you could make a Public Service Announcement from the perspective of any Biblical character, what would your campaign be?

I'm strongly considering a Don't Trust Advice from Snakes campaign from Adam and Eve but that's not a very snappy slogan.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

All = Vanity

Have less ambition, garden, and feast more.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

Having recognized the tweet is about religion and politics, they started arguing about religion and politics. That's why it was posted. It's twitter, that's pretty much what it's for.

are you really this obtuse

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It rules

But also what were they smoking lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blood Boils posted:

It rules

But also what were they smoking lol
Francis knows the aliens are almost here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

If you could make a Public Service Announcement from the perspective of any Biblical character, what would your campaign be?

I'm strongly considering a Don't Trust Advice from Snakes campaign from Adam and Eve but that's not a very snappy slogan.

Why You All Suck by the exasperated prophet Nathan.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

"Be nice to each other!" (Jesus)

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

“This too shall pass.” by Solomon (?) is a good one for 2020.

If we can go for any religious figure “The Way that can be followed is not the true Way / The name that can be named is not the true name.” (Daodejing 1) is also pretty neat.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 20, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

speaking of the tao, I've always liked this passage

quote:

We join spokes together in a wheel, but it is the center hole that makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house, but it is the inner space that makes it livable.

We work with being, but non-being is what we use.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WrenP-Complete posted:

"Respect your elders or they will summon bears to eat you."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Very very good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

*3 RC colas appear in the east*

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/_F_B_G_/status/1340916105985093632?s=19

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I had a sensible chuckle at this, thanks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Then y'all might like this as well:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=343

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This is art.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

This is fantastic.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I had a sensible chuckle at this, thanks.

i dont know how i found Fergus but he is always there with a sensible chuckle when he pops up in my feed

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mind the Gap. -Korach

Hey mister, keep your hands off my sister. -Shimon and Levi

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FIG TREES: Be fruitful and multiply. OR ELSE.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

FIG TREES: Be fruitful and multiply. OR ELSE.

You told me once that Nathan was your favourite Bible person but I think it's actually the fig tree.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HopperUK posted:

You told me once that Nathan was your favourite Bible person but I think it's actually the fig tree.

Nathan is my favorite person but the Fig Tree Incident may be my favorite story.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Happy Hannukah to my Jewish friends and Merry Christmas Eve "Eve" to my Christian friends.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

docbeard posted:

Nathan is my favorite person but the Fig Tree Incident may be my favorite story.

Thats the one where Jesus kills a fig tree that isn't supposed to have figs on it for not having figs on it, but is probably really an anti-Semitic message condemning Jews for not accepting Jesus, right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Thats the one where Jesus kills a fig tree that isn't supposed to have figs on it for not having figs on it, but is probably really an anti-Semitic message condemning Jews for not accepting Jesus, right?

That's the interpretation I've heard most often from people who don't want to accept that Jesus was just hungry one day and that fig tree knows what it done.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bar Ran Dun posted:

how many swimsuit models are in it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

how many swimsuit models are in it?

None.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/world/europe/italy-vatican-city-rome-nativity-scene-christmas.amp.html

But there is an astronaut!

And what looks like aquaman? The conservative papers have been going nuts about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That space man's bringing the Christ child a meteor of gold! How thoughtful!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Happy Hannukah to my Jewish friends and Merry Christmas Eve "Eve" to my Christian friends.

Hanukkah actually wrapped up about a week ago, but, hey, thanks!

Now your Jewish friends look forward to Tu B'Shevat, the New Year for Trees, which we celebrate with a Passover-like structured meal (a seder) in which we eat a lot of different fruits, drink a lot of wine, and read from the Torah, the Talmud, and the Zohar. Others celebrate by planting a tree. The point is focusing on renewal and new growth. Many Kabbalists write that the holiday should really be understood as the new year of the tree of life, the process by which the Lord fills the world with holiness.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 24, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Now your Jewish friends look forward to Tu B'Shevat, the New Year for Trees, which we celebrate with a Passover-like structured meal (a seder) in which we eat a lot of different fruits, drink a lot of wine, and read from the Torah, the Talmud, and the Zohar. Others celebrate by planting a tree. The point is focusing on renewal and new growth. Many Kabbalists write that the holiday should really be understood as the new year of the tree of life, the process by which the Lord fills the world with holiness.

I've always wondered how commonly taught kabbalah is within Judaism. Is it the sort of thing gone over with all kids or is it something reserved only for dedicated more orthodox yeshiva students?

I regret that Christianity is relatively purged of mystical traditions (especially the evangelical brand I was brought up in).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

If it's Christian mysticism you want, might I interest you in some Hesychasm?

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 24, 2020

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Bilirubin posted:

I regret that Christianity is relatively purged of mystical traditions (especially the evangelical brand I was brought up in).

And may I recommend the work and thought of Sts. John of the Cross and Theresa of Avila?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yeah I made the post before finding out it ended on the 18th. Oops.

That sounds very nice and comforting. I've always had an interest in the Zohar because I was a Xenogears/Xenosaga fan growing up. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the actual Zohar, though. Probably just a random cool sounding Hebrew the Japanese creators picked up.