Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Isn't the harmony 665 backlit? I have the older version and the buttons are backlit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

serebralassazin posted:

Isn't the harmony 665 backlit? I have the older version and the buttons are backlit.

It doesn't appear to have RF or Bluetooth though unfortunately

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1341041682087817218

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJm8wc0eXYg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BonoMan posted:

It doesn't appear to have RF or Bluetooth though unfortunately

If you need that it's either Harmony or something much, much more expensive like Crestron or Control4. It's actually cheaper to buy different components that have IR.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

qirex posted:

If you need that it's either Harmony or something much, much more expensive like Crestron or Control4. It's actually cheaper to buy different components that have IR.

Yeah unfortunately looks like it's going to be $200 minimum.

Lame. I had the Harmony Companion and Hub and loved everything about it *except* no backlight. That's so dumb and frustrating.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was able to add a backlight to my GBA like 15 years ago with something called an afterburner. Maybe there is an aftermarket kit?

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I’m well aware this post is going to make me look like an absolute buffoon but I was watching my LG CX 77 in standard def 1080p for a few weeks until I stumbled into the Apple TV settings and realized that was so. I didn’t have the option to go to 4K HDR until I looked up my receiver and switched the input to a different port. Thread.. don’t be like me. On the plus side it’s like I upgraded my TV twice!!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 55" X800H plus extra year of warranty for $698 shipped

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The positioning of this tv is killing me. It’s not centered on the wall, it’s not centered above the media cabinet, it’s not centered in front of the seating area. I’m imagining that the first thing they did was hang up the tv and we’re going to be getting a bigger tv soon anyways why would I rehang it now?

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I'm looking for some advice about 40" - 43" in the UK. My parents are looking to get a new TV to replace the one that they currently have in the kitchen. Ideally they wanted a 40" as it fits the best so they got a Panasonic HX800 as it generally seemed to review well. The issue is that they need quite a wide viewing angle, and the Panasonic just didn't work for that.

After hearing this I went to do some research, and found that viewing angle feels like a bit of an afterthought in most reviews. It seems that the only type of panel that gives wide viewing angles is IPS and they seem to be phasing that out of TVs? OLED might work but they don't do them that small? So what do? It looks like the XH80 (X800H in the US) is IPS and would potentially fit at 43", but I'm not seeing many other options. Is there something I'm missing regarding viewing angles?

Is it worth waiting a year or so to see if other options present themselves?

(Budget is £500 +/- £100)

Tia for any help.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not counting OLED, IPS panels still have the best viewing angles for an LCD television. The only real weakness is black levels, but in a kitchen with ambient light it won't matter in the slightest.

Rtings recommends the X800H as a small TV if you need wide viewing angles, otherwise it's the Q60:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/small-tvs

LG does technically have a 43" nanocell (qled) tv which should have better colour gamut, but rtings hasn't reviewed it:
https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43nano796ne
Dunno if this means anything to you, but it's mentioned in LG's product reviews section:

quote:

Minor issues are that it does not seem to have ITV Hub, More 4 or My5 capability as far as I can see.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 22, 2020

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

(Helpful info)

Thanks for the info, the Nanocell looks interesting and maybe with a shout, though Which? (UK Review magazine) basically rate anything that isn't an OLED as narrow viewing angles, including the X800H.

Eventually they'll have to make a decision, there are no 43" OLEDs and they'll be super expensive if they do sure up so eh. I'll probably just say try the Nanocell, worst case they return it.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Fingat posted:

poo poo, I think I want to return my TCL 5 and upgrade to a 6 but now BB doesn't have any left for me to easily swap. I saw one come and go on amazon.

What is your opinion of the 5 series? I was debating between the 5 and 6, but am thinking of settling on the 5 just because I want a TV sooner rather than later. Wal-Mart has the 6 but delivery is $50 and it won’t arrive for a couple of weeks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone have experience having Geeksquad or their ilk mount a TV and put in an in-wall power extension that won't burn a house down? Or am I OK installing one of these kits myself?

Looking at a 65" LG CX OLED for a PS5 that hopefully will be here before long.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I personally would not trust geek squad to do actual electrical work. Put a mount up, maybe but in the meantime get paintable cords?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't trust them to do poo poo.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Looking at deals on TCL 5 Series 55" QLED in Canada. Looks like $580 at Costco and $500 at Walmart, any reason to go with Costco? Have read they won't price match but maybe have a better warranty. Width for legs is 43.9" and my stand is 46", is that cutting it too close?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

JHomer722 posted:

What is your opinion of the 5 series? I was debating between the 5 and 6, but am thinking of settling on the 5 just because I want a TV sooner rather than later. Wal-Mart has the 6 but delivery is $50 and it won’t arrive for a couple of weeks.

I like it, its not bad, hard to beat at the price, but the couple issues it had were bothering me, and since I got a budget bump I figured why not go for a 6. They came in stock on Amazon Sunday and I ordered one, should be here Saturday.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't trust them to do poo poo.

Geek squad are schmucks pulled in off the street who are taught just enough to wow the 90% of people who know nothing about any kind of tech. At best you get someone who figured out how to change their screen resolution once and decided they were an IT pro

I always say, BB is where people who know nothing about tech either get ripped off or employed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BB is a weird place. They either chew you up in a summer or they rope you in for life. One of my friends has worked there doing deliveries for 14 years and just seems so content to stay there.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Rhyno posted:

BB is a weird place. They either chew you up in a summer or they rope you in for life. One of my friends has worked there doing deliveries for 14 years and just seems so content to stay there.

As a 16 year retail survivor who got out (and into IT weirdly enough), lots of people don’t know what they’re really capable of and just go with what’s good enough/works for now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tehinternet posted:

As a 16 year retail survivor who got out (and into IT weirdly enough), lots of people don’t know what they’re really capable of and just go with what’s good enough/works for now.

Oh I totally agree. I primarily worked service and retail from 16 until 37. I was forced to find a new industry and landed in manufacturing. It's night and day. And I've advanced multiple times and been commended frequently for the quality of my work.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Rhyno posted:

Oh I totally agree. I primarily worked service and retail from 16 until 37. I was forced to find a new industry and landed in manufacturing. It's night and day. And I've advanced multiple times and been commended frequently for the quality of my work.

I’m really glad to hear that. Seems like within that subset of long-term retail/service survivors that it either burns you into a husk of a person or you get out and have a work ethic that people who have been treated like human beings in the time that you were a wage-slave can’t touch.

Really gives you perspective.

For content: is OLED looking like it’s going to stick around? It’s been here for what, 5 years now? When can we realistically expect it to be ~$1k for a set equivalent to the CX (4K, OLED, 120hz)?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The first oled tv SKUs were announced in 2012, but weren't sold until 2013, but close enough.

I expect micro LED to fill the $1000 niche before they do though in the next five years.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 25, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How can I find out the refresh rate on a LG 65UN70? (2020 model)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RCarr posted:

How can I find out the refresh rate on a LG 65UN70? (2020 model)

60hz

I’ve found Best Buy is the only retailer to reliably list actual refresh rates and not whatever marketing names the companies use.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-un7000-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6417306.p?skuId=6417306

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

manwithoutskin posted:

I’m well aware this post is going to make me look like an absolute buffoon but I was watching my LG CX 77 in standard def 1080p for a few weeks until I stumbled into the Apple TV settings and realized that was so. I didn’t have the option to go to 4K HDR until I looked up my receiver and switched the input to a different port. Thread.. don’t be like me. On the plus side it’s like I upgraded my TV twice!!

Is it worth it? I still need to get a new receiver/Apple tv for my OLED.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

60hz

I’ve found Best Buy is the only retailer to reliably list actual refresh rates and not whatever marketing names the companies use.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-un7000-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6417306.p?skuId=6417306

Am I really going to be missing out using an Xbox Series X on this? Is there a really noticeable difference between 60hz and 120hz?

I’m coming from a 10 year old 40 inch tv so I’m sure I’ll be impressed with this new one either way.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

RCarr posted:

Am I really going to be missing out using an Xbox Series X on this? Is there a really noticeable difference between 60hz and 120hz?

I’m coming from a 10 year old 40 inch tv so I’m sure I’ll be impressed with this new one either way.

Being limited to 60hz isn't great but it'll only be a minority of Series X games that supports 120hz anyways so, depending on which games you play, it might be a minor issue. The bigger issue is that UN7000 doesn't get very bright, has poor contrast and no local dimming of any kind. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/un7000

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anything I should be aware of with the Samsung Q80T? Looking to finally get a 4K TV on Boxing Day and it seems like the highest rated 120Hz freesync one in my price range (1500 Canuckbucks or less).

I was also considering the cheaper Q70T but a lot of reviews seemed to indicate it had terrible viewing angles and a noticeable picture quality drop?

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 25, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Q70T doesn't even have local dimming. Samsung has been stripping their TV SKUs of features (especially local dimming, which used to exist on their non-qled line with the NU8000) at almost every price level.
Basically, their top two offerings are the only ones worth getting.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Basically, their top two offerings are the only ones worth getting.

Which would be the 80T and 90T?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Which would be the 80T and 90T?

Yeah, although they do have the Q800/900 8K units as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When are we gonna change the thread title to DONT BUY SAMSUNG

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

High Definition Televisions: If you want a Samsung screen, buy a Galaxy :newlol:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

codo27 posted:

...go on?

Basically I'm looking for a decent 55-65 inch 4K 120Hz TV for $1500 Canadian or less, primarily for gaming and Streaming TV. All the OLED options look a fair bit out of my price range and I'll be honest with the amount of sports my roommate watches isn't burn in an issue? Seemed like the best option in that price range compared to equivalent LG or Sony models.

Plus with the Samsung OS you can do SteamLink which seems like a plus considering what I'm using it for and not something any other TVs seem to be able to support? Do the latest Samsungs have terrible QC or something?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

...go on?

Basically I'm looking for a decent 55-65 inch 4K 120Hz TV for $1500 Canadian or less, primarily for gaming and Streaming TV. All the OLED options look a fair bit out of my price range and I'll be honest with the amount of sports my roommate watches isn't burn in an issue? Seemed like the best option in that price range compared to equivalent LG or Sony models.

Plus with the Samsung OS you can do SteamLink which seems like a plus considering what I'm using it for and not something any other TVs seem to be able to support? Do the latest Samsungs have terrible QC or something?

Visions.ca -> Check out the Hisense Q9G. It's what I bought. They're actually overpriced even factoring in $1=$1.33 currency conversion and import fees, but they're still a better deal than basically everything else.
Another option is going to Costco and checking out the Vizio M-Series or P-Series Quantum televisions.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 25, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I believe the H9G supports 120hz only at 1080p and maybe 1440p, due to it's lack of HDMI 2.1 ports, making the Sony X900H a better option if gaming is to be a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe the H9G supports 120hz only at 1080p and maybe 1440p, due to it's lack of HDMI 2.1 ports, making the Sony X900H a better option if gaming is to be a priority.

That is correct, I forgot about that. Though considering the new consoles are struggling with even 60fps unless you're using a PC...