Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's available on Amazon too, for slightly more. But the shipping cost from Newegg was $20 (International delivery) and you can get it for Prime shipping, so it wasn't too much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Spouse says she'll actually use my current/old PC so I need to build an entirely new system instead of bringing over some old parts.
Can I get a sanity check on the following? Any glaring issues?
PC will be used primarily for gaming and I'd like to keep it under $1800.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $278.48)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $589.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
May or may not replace the default case fans at some point and add another fan onto the CPU Cooler.
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1612.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-24 13:02 EST-0500

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jfff posted:

Spouse says she'll actually use my current/old PC so I need to build an entirely new system instead of bringing over some old parts.
Can I get a sanity check on the following? Any glaring issues?
PC will be used primarily for gaming and I'd like to keep it under $1800.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $278.48)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $589.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
May or may not replace the default case fans at some point and add another fan onto the CPU Cooler.
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1612.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-24 13:02 EST-0500

Build looks solid overall.

For the SSD, if you want to go into that price range, I’d probably pick up a 970 evo instead of the HP.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

You can also get a WD Black 750 1TB at that price point currently on sale on Newegg

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is kind of a weird request, but here goes: I want to build a super small (something like this but ideally even smaller and cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-FBA_FD-CA-NODE-202-BK-Design-Node-202/dp/B00ZANF3GI) custom PC for a combined birthday/holidays gift for a friend and her BF. The sole purpose would be emulation, probably up to PS2 so a PI wouldn't cut it, and I want to do it for like $200. My idea was an all-in-one retro gaming station for their living room (they already have wireless controllers that can pair to a PC) without breaking the bank.

Is this even feasible? Where would I start? Any part recommendations?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

This is kind of a weird request, but here goes: I want to build a super small (something like this but ideally even smaller and cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-FBA_FD-CA-NODE-202-BK-Design-Node-202/dp/B00ZANF3GI) custom PC for a combined birthday/holidays gift for a friend and her BF. The sole purpose would be emulation, probably up to PS2 so a PI wouldn't cut it, and I want to do it for like $200. My idea was an all-in-one retro gaming station for their living room (they already have wireless controllers that can pair to a PC) without breaking the bank.

Is this even feasible? Where would I start? Any part recommendations?

It’d likely be cheaper to buy a refurb small form factor workstation machine and throw SSD and maybe a GPU in there (although you probably don’t need much GPU for PS2 emulation).

Here’s a build of what you’re basically looking for, but the cost is wayyyy higher

https://youtu.be/h_2cYJSR2o4

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 24, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

optiplex 9020 or better with any low profile card if you even need one or an nvidia shield prob best options. i in fact have both a gt 1030 and a gt 730 gddr5 id sell if you want.

hit craigslist > fb marketplace > ebay in that order for a cheapy, some may even have an SSD

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 24, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bus hustler posted:

optiplex 9020 or better with any low profile card if you even need one or an nvidia shield prob best options. i in fact have both a gt 1030 and a gt 730 gddr5 id sell if you want.

hit craigslist > fb marketplace > ebay in that order for a cheapy, some may even have an SSD

Think I'll do this and try to grab a small 1050, thanks!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I am pretty bewildered by the variety of products and names and pricing but want to upgrade my 8 year old pc. im shooting for cyberpunk at 1080 at 30fps at high and warhammer 2 (the greatest game of all time) at the highest fidelity and 1,000fps.

im gonna roll with my 1060 for a while and just get a new mobo/cpu/ram/psu

shooting for under $800 but would prefer closer to $600 if possible to leave $400 for a videocard later. quality is important over performance. i wont be overclocking i just want my poo poo to last like my current setup has

e: i havent had much luck with my self guided purchases of electronics lately; two dell xps laptops for my wife and step daughter that have chronic weird issues and an oled that needed a panel replaced 2 months in

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 24, 2020

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
What does everyone think about the various models and price-points for the 5XXX CPUs and 30XX GPUs?

The 5XXX series CPUs are all at interesting price-points that make it difficult to choose one for a new PC build. The 5600X is certainly the most cost-effective option, with huge generational improvements for only $300. But with only 6 cores & 12 threads, I wonder how long that shine will last. With the new Xbox & PS5 having 8 cores & 16 threads, developers will surely start developing around 8c/16t, and I wonder if the 5600X will remain relevant for this entire console generation (especially if Sony or Microsoft release a more powerful updated version mid-way through). That leads us to the 5800, which is also 8c/16t. But the 5800 is an awkward price of $450, $150 more than the 5600, but only $100 less than the 5900X. Which feels like AMD is encouraging you to buy up to a 5900 at $550. As someone who does amatuer-level video production and streaming stuff, the added cores of the 5900 seem nice, but not quite a selling point. Makes it a tough decision between all three.

For the 30XX series GPUs, is there any real difference between Founder's Edition models and their more expensive variants? A 3060 for $400 is a nice selling point, but that only works if it's actually $400. I've seen a lot of different versions for $30-80 more. It makes me wonder, if you're willing to spend $430-480 on a nicer 3060, then why not just get a base model 3070 for $500? The performance improvements don't usually seem worth the price increase. Unfortunately, the only place I can find selling the Founder's Edition is Best Buy, which is currently out of stock. Is it just an markup & availability thing?

literally this big fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 25, 2020

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Ammanas posted:

I am pretty bewildered by the variety of products and names and pricing but want to upgrade my 8 year old pc. im shooting for cyberpunk at 1080 at 30fps at high and warhammer 2 (the greatest game of all time) at the highest fidelity and 1,000fps.

im gonna roll with my 1060 for a while and just get a new mobo/cpu/ram/psu

shooting for under $800 but would prefer closer to $600 if possible to leave $400 for a videocard later. quality is important over performance. i wont be overclocking i just want my poo poo to last like my current setup has

e: i havent had much luck with my self guided purchases of electronics lately; two dell xps laptops for my wife and step daughter that have chronic weird issues and an oled that needed a panel replaced 2 months in

I threw this together real quick to give you an idea of what you could do. Should give you good value for the dollar based on the constraints you listed, with some further upgrade options down the line. You could later go from Zen2 to Zen3 on the CPU, and the PSU has enough headroom to support the current gen video cards such as the 3060Ti or the 3070. If you can stretch the budget another $100 now, the 5600X Zen3 is a better CPU choice for gaming, but their availability is limited now and likely will be for a while.

I don’t know if your current system is bottlenecked by the CPU (I assume it is), this upgrade will definitely push the bottleneck to the GPU and that will be the limit of your performance until you upgrade there.

Just keep in mind that $400 doesn’t get you much video card in the current generation, so you should be prepared to budget more when you are ready to upgrade if you are eventually targeting higher frame rates or resolution (or both). A 3060Ti would work great if you plan to stay at 1080p, however.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $563.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-24 17:50 EST-0500

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

literally this big posted:

What does everyone think about the various models and price-points for the 5XXX CPUs and 30XX GPUs?

The 5XXX series CPUs are all at interesting price-points that make it difficult to choose one for a new PC build. The 5600X is certainly the most cost-effective option, with huge generational improvements for only $300. But with only 6 cores & 12 threads, I wonder how long that shine will last. With the new Xbox & PS5 having 8 cores & 16 threads, developers will surely start developing around 8c/16t, and I wonder if the 5600X will remain relevant for this entire console generation (especially if Sony or Microsoft release a more powerful updated version mid-way through). That leads us to the 5800, which is also 8c/16t. But the 5800 is an awkward price of $450, $150 more than the 5600, but only $100 less than the 5900X. Which feels like AMD is encouraging you to buy up to a 5900 at $550. As someone who does amatuer-level video production and streaming stuff, the added cores of the 5900 seem nice, but not quite a selling point. Makes it a tough decision between all three.

For the 30XX series GPUs, is there any real difference between Founder's Edition models and their more expensive variants? A 3060 for $400 is a nice selling point, but that only works if it's actually $400. I've seen a lot of different versions for $30-80 more. It makes me wonder, if you're willing to spend $430-480 on a nicer 3060, then why not just get a base model 3070 for $500? The performance improvements don't usually seem worth the price increase. Unfortunately, the only place I can find selling the Founder's Edition is Best Buy, which is currently out of stock. Is it just an markup & availability thing?

I've heard that founders editions are the best, but I don't think it matters too much. I think it's more of a customer loyalty thing. When I was looking at all the different models and trying to figure out what I really wanted, I found a lot of review sites who said say "A is best, B is 2nd best, C is 3rd best" then another site that would say "B is best, C is 2nd best and A is 3rd best" then something similar on another site. You'd really have to go into each gpu/cpu and break it down in dept based on what you want to do, if you are gonna OC, etc. For the average user and even one step above, I think it's just get what you can from the brand you like and at the price point you want to pay.

The 5600x is a great processor for the price and in 2022 i'm sure you can take the $500 you'd save on not getting a 5950x and spend it on something comparable to a 5950x. Same goes with a 3070, but i've heard such amazing things about the 3080 that i'd get one if you could. It has great benchmarks for only a slight markup. There is a reason it's the hardest gpu to find. It will play every game you want to play on 1080p at the maximum settings for at least the next couple of years. It even lets you step up and dabble in 4k.

If I wanted to go with a great gaming PC that could play every game at max settings and didn't care about 4k, i'd get a 5600x and a 3080. I'd go up to a 5900x and skip the 5800x if I wanted to get a better cpu, because everything I read said that the $150 increase from the 5600x to the 5800x just wasn't justifiable when the 5900x outperforms the 5800x to such a degree and is roughly the same price increase. The 5800x is only 8 cores but the 5900x is 12 cores.

This is all assuming you can get any part you wanted at MSRP. Things are getting a little better, but 3080's are still a little tougher to find. 3070's can be pretty easy to find and a 5600x is even easier. If you can just get buy with getting an MSRP 5600x and 3070, i'd do that and save the money for a future gen where things aren't a hassle to find and you can just walk into any microcenter and grab what you wanted.

I went like, super crazy with my PC because I've always wanted to have a top of the line PC and to build it my own. I want to start playing around with video editing and recording and frankly, just wanted to treat myself. This year was a stressful one and I did well financially, so I rewarded myself. I wish i'd been able to do it sooner, as I still won't have it built until like, Jan 7th-8th when my last part arrives, which will only give me about 3 weeks to play with it and then its relegated to weekends, but that's life. If my schedule was booked from like Feb - Nov (which it may end up being but I won't know until April) then I would have for sure gone with a 5600x, 3070 and just bought into next gen.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

thanks for putting that together. ill give it lil looky look

quote:

Just keep in mind that $400 doesn’t get you much video card in the current generation, so you should be prepared to budget more when you are ready to upgrade

yeah its bonkers how inflated gpus are, is it all bitcoin mining shitlords? cuz theres no way pc gaming is in a renaissance

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Ammanas posted:

thanks for putting that together. ill give it lil looky look

yeah its bonkers how inflated gpus are, is it all bitcoin mining shitlords? cuz theres no way pc gaming is in a renaissance

Just a lot of people scalping and a lot of people working from home I think.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I should probably post what I actually ended up with. Some of these parts are here already, the 5950x and CPU Cooler won't be here until early January and the PSU doesn't arrive until Monday. If I really hosed something up then let me know so I can return it and get a replacement ordered, but I think it all works out. I referenced a lot of completed builds on PCPartPicker so everything should work. It's gonna take me a couple days probably just build it, as i'll need to watch a few videos about what to do. I've never used a water cooler before and i'm putting something like 7x 120mm fans into the thing too. I'll end up putting another SSD in there at some point. I just went with the 2x 500gb because they are the fastest available and were on sale. I won't be needing extra storage for a few months. I got everything at MSRP apart from the PSU, which I paid an extra $40 for on Amazon to have it here when everything else is. I probably would have gone with a Dark Hero MB if I could have found one for less than $800, but I know the Tomahawk is pretty dang good and highly recommended. I'll have to update the BIOS to be ready for the 5950x, but apparently that's not too hard.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($1429.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($293.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($324.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card ($2199.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li O11D XL-X ATX Full Tower Case ($199.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower LEADEX Special Edition 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $4926.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-24 18:28 EST-0500

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Acer Pilot posted:

Just a lot of people scalping and a lot of people working from home I think.

Scalping, people building new PC's to work from home and Cyberpunk had a lot to do with it. Cyberpunk was incredibly hyped and people wanted to play it at the max settings, so they needed to upgrade. The new console generation also had a bit to do with it i'm sure. I imagine some PC players upgraded just to stay ahead of their rivals.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ShowTime posted:

I should probably post what I actually ended up with. Some of these parts are here already, the 5950x and CPU Cooler won't be here until early January and the PSU doesn't arrive until Monday. If I really hosed something up then let me know so I can return it and get a replacement ordered, but I think it all works out. I referenced a lot of completed builds on PCPartPicker so everything should work. It's gonna take me a couple days probably just build it, as i'll need to watch a few videos about what to do. I've never used a water cooler before and i'm putting something like 7x 120mm fans into the thing too. I'll end up putting another SSD in there at some point. I just went with the 2x 500gb because they are the fastest available and were on sale. I won't be needing extra storage for a few months. I got everything at MSRP apart from the PSU, which I paid an extra $40 for on Amazon to have it here when everything else is. I probably would have gone with a Dark Hero MB if I could have found one for less than $800, but I know the Tomahawk is pretty dang good and highly recommended. I'll have to update the BIOS to be ready for the 5950x, but apparently that's not too hard.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($324.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card ($2199.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower LEADEX Special Edition 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

What is the specific reason you bought 5000 dollars in PC parts? You're so far beyond the point of diminishing returns I kinda think this may be satire.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Ammanas posted:

cuz theres no way pc gaming is in a renaissance

It kind of is though, in the sense that we are all stuck at home and have nothing else better to do. My recent PC build was my first in over a decade and was funded by money i would have otherwise spent on travel and concert tickets and the like

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

orange juche posted:

What is the specific reason you bought 5000 dollars in PC parts? You're so far beyond the point of diminishing returns I kinda think this may be satire.

:pcgaming:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

vanilla slimfast posted:

It kind of is though, in the sense that we are all stuck at home and have nothing else better to do. My recent PC build was my first in over a decade and was funded by money i would have otherwise spent on travel and concert tickets and the like

Student loans being deferred and free pandemic cash, in my case

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

orange juche posted:

You're right. I should probably just return it all and put it in savings. That's way more fun.

The price is a little off because I got everything at MSRP and didn't spend $1500 on a 5950x or $2200 on a 3090. I haven't even bought the monitors yet, Dad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So on Saturday I will be building my new rig and I will report back. I will probably spend tomorrow afternoon flashing the BIOS beforehand

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

orange juche posted:

Hey, don’t yuck his yum, man

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

So on Saturday I will be building my new rig and I will report back. I will probably spend tomorrow afternoon flashing the BIOS beforehand

It will take you 10 mins to do the actual flash

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I assembled my pc and it's booting to the bios, but it doesn't seem to be detecting the m.2 drive. I'm using a gigabyte b460m ds3h motherboard, and there's 3 options to select a drive (sata, pcie, and m.2), but when I click m.2 it says "m2m:n/a". I went to advanced mode and turned CSM support on, and now the drive shows up in the boot sequence, but doesn't seem to want to install windows. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: never mind, had to change a setting to"legacy" to boot from the usb and it's currently installing to the m.2 drive.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 25, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vanilla slimfast posted:

It will take you 10 mins to do the actual flash
Yeah I need to do that and also create my Windows boot file

I didn’t want to actually get into the building until Saturday when I have the whole afternoon to work on it

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

literally this big posted:

For all PC parts, generally you’re looking at two separate factors.

Price/performance, and raw power. The 5600x has the absolute sweet spot of price/perf.

The 5800x has better raw performance, but diminishing returns.

Anything above the 5800x is stupid from a gaming perspective, and is only really useful in video/rendering workloads and etc.

As always, Gamer’s Nexus comes through with math based proof.

https://youtu.be/6x2BYNimNOU

The smart way to do this is look at the best price/perf model (5600x) and then look at % gains from the steps up. The question you ask yourself is “Am I willing to pay $150 more for 10%/10FPS increase? What about $600 for a 22% uplift?”

This is how you decide.

GPU is the same when deciding 30x0 models. 3080 is generally the best price/perf. There’s the added factor of “is $699+ in my price range” which skews people down from ideal price/perf, but it works the same.

From a vendor perspective, it’s all about the cooling, factory OC, and power limits. They all basically perform the same. Usually the coolers on the FE are abysmal. This gen they’re actually quiet good.

What you get for more money from the AIBs is better cooling (which means less throttling when maxed out, and quieter fans most of the time), RGB options, a default OC, the ability to push higher OCs because the card can take more power (but at extreme diminishing returns).

If you intend to OC heavily, or you want a quieter card, you should get a FTW3 or similar caliber card. If you intend to just run stock and don’t care about noise, the FE is the best bet on price alone.

ShowTime posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Lmao this is incredible.

It’s exactly what I’d build if I had money to set on fire. But it’s so so far from anything reasonable. It’s like spending $2,800 extra to get 20 FPS more in most games.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ShowTime posted:

You're right. I should probably just return it all and put it in savings. That's way more fun.

The price is a little off because I got everything at MSRP and didn't spend $1500 on a 5950x or $2200 on a 3090. I haven't even bought the monitors yet, Dad.

Enjoy your PC! But your purchase is a very long way beyond the boundaries of what could be considered normal or reasonable for the vast majority of people. Sincerely, good for you, but don't try to give objective advice if it ends up as frankly terrible as this:

ShowTime posted:

Same goes with a 3070, but i've heard such amazing things about the 3080 that i'd get one if you could. It has great benchmarks for only a slight markup. There is a reason it's the hardest gpu to find. It will play every game you want to play on 1080p at the maximum settings for at least the next couple of years. It even lets you step up and dabble in 4k.

If I wanted to go with a great gaming PC that could play every game at max settings and didn't care about 4k, i'd get a 5600x and a 3080.

The 3080 is the enthusiast 4k high end card for the vast majority of the market and is ridiculous overkill for 1080p gaming.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

A Christmas miracle! Best Buy got my 3080 in three days early and I picked it up before they closed today.

And then USPS told me my RAM from Newegg is delayed until next week.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Anecdotally, my 3070/5800X build handles 1440p no sweat at 100fps+ with all the ray tracing effects on, playing through Control right now

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Something weird happening with my computer. Only boots with ram in slots 2 and 4 (from left to right) and only 1 stick is detected. Well the other one is detected just that the SPD data is corrupted. Showing a negative number in capacity. This is after installing RGB Fusion. Is that software broken? Corrupting my ram sticks? Tried with single sticks and won't even post. Will toss a bad ram post beep in slot 2.

Computer:

i7 9700k
Aorus z390 Elite
16gb 3000mhz Ballistix Gaming or 16gb 3600mhz Adata something or another.
Gigabyte 3070

Updated to lastest BIOS. Weird as hell.

Thinking maybe the motherboard crapped out?

Maybe using both NVME slots is messing up the memory controller? IDK

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g1ZG94sYvRDGuqTK9

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 25, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
With the wait for parts being what they are, I've been contemplating picking up a pre-built desktop since those seem to be quite a bit more readily accessible. The Microcenter closest to me frequently keeps this guy in stock which honestly seems to be about as good a deal as if I were to buy the parts separately. https://www.microcenter.com/product/630918/powerspec-g707-gaming-computer

My thought being that this is probably good enough for the moment, and I'll upgrade the Ryzen 3700 to an Zen3+ when they come out next year.

The one critique I have of the powerspec is that the PSU seems a touch anemic, but everything else in it seems to be pretty reasonable given the price, especially for what a lot of other pre-built companies tend to charge for their systems with comparable specs.

Anyone have any experience with these?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Ok so Windows is up and running correctly, but I'm having issues running games. I tried both ARK and theHunter, and I get unbelievably bad frame rates with both. I think the computer is not able to detect the video card, but I'm not sure. I am running the HDMI through the video card, so it seems to be running correctly, but it's not showing up under the display adapters section of the device manager. Does anyone have any idea why this would be? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: jesus christ this is embarrassing, I forgot to update my drivers

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 25, 2020

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

dublish posted:

A Christmas miracle! Best Buy got my 3080 in three days early and I picked it up before they closed today.

And then USPS told me my RAM from Newegg is delayed until next week.

I'm in a similar scenario where everything except my processor will arrive before the end of the year then the cpu will arrive like 8 days later

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

I threw this together real quick to give you an idea of what you could do. Should give you good value for the dollar based on the constraints you listed, with some further upgrade options down the line. You could later go from Zen2 to Zen3 on the CPU, and the PSU has enough headroom to support the current gen video cards such as the 3060Ti or the 3070. If you can stretch the budget another $100 now, the 5600X Zen3 is a better CPU choice for gaming, but their availability is limited now and likely will be for a while.

I don’t know if your current system is bottlenecked by the CPU (I assume it is), this upgrade will definitely push the bottleneck to the GPU and that will be the limit of your performance until you upgrade there.

Just keep in mind that $400 doesn’t get you much video card in the current generation, so you should be prepared to budget more when you are ready to upgrade if you are eventually targeting higher frame rates or resolution (or both). A 3060Ti would work great if you plan to stay at 1080p, however.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $563.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-24 17:50 EST-0500

I made a couple of tweaks based on me being dumb and liking shiny (but not RGB)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vB9qrr

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.23 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $611.20

I got a larger PSU, is that wildly unnecessary? only $30 for 850w over 650w, which should be "future proof"? and the mobo has some audio stuff, i like listening to 64kbps mp3s from napster so thats really important to me.

no idea what i'll do about videocards, pricing & stock is ridiculous but I'll see how the 1060 plays with a much *much* better cpu.

edit: and its all cheapest (or same) at bestbuy, who i'd rather buy from than newegg or especially amazon. remember how lovely a company and store it used to be? every interaction ive had over the last couple years has been excellent

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 25, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ammanas posted:

I made a couple of tweaks based on me being dumb and liking shiny (but not RGB)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vB9qrr

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.23 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $611.20

I got a larger PSU, is that wildly unnecessary? only $30 for 850w over 650w, which should be "future proof"? and the mobo has some audio stuff, i like listening to 64kbps mp3s from napster so thats really important to me.

no idea what i'll do about videocards, pricing & stock is ridiculous but I'll see how the 1060 plays with a much *much* better cpu.

edit: and its all cheapest (or same) at bestbuy, who i'd rather buy from than newegg or especially amazon. remember how lovely a company and store it used to be? every interaction ive had over the last couple years has been excellent

Overbuying on PSU is fine. Won’t hurt anything except your wallet.

For the ram getting CL-16 timing is more important that 3600. Get a 3600 cl-16 or if it’s too much get a 3200 cl-16.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I put everything together with my Ryzen 5800X and it seems to be running great. One concern though, is the CPU clock speed supposed to vary over time? Mine is just constantly maxed out even when just idle on the desktop and no web browsers open

The only thing I changed in the BIOS was setting the RAM speed to 3600Mhz which is it's XMP speed.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Booyah- posted:

I put everything together with my Ryzen 5800X and it seems to be running great. One concern though, is the CPU clock speed supposed to vary over time? Mine is just constantly maxed out even when just idle on the desktop and no web browsers open

The only thing I changed in the BIOS was setting the RAM speed to 3600Mhz which is it's XMP speed.

Get Ryzen master, most the other programs don't seem to be able to track the current clock speed and I'm not sure why. Even CPUz seems to just show it as maxed out sometimes when it is not.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Get Ryzen master, most the other programs don't seem to be able to track the current clock speed and I'm not sure why. Even CPUz seems to just show it as maxed out sometimes when it is not.

Ah thanks, this does look more reasonable:

The fan speed still seems high but now I'm less worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Make sure that your power profile is set to balanced in Windows, if it's set to high performance it may not be dropping to lower power levels as quickly as it could. Balanced is the default setting but yeah it might be on high performance.

Also, go into your BIOS and adjust your fan curves, you can generally crank them down and wind up with a much quieter PC. The default fan curves are almost never ideal.