Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Saros posted:

The thing that got me was watching the CDC and Public Health England just uttlerly fall apart and fail completely. Before this if you'd asked me which countries were best poised to tackle a pandemic I would have put them both in the top 5 but lol we all know how that worked out.

I don't blame these organizations, I blame the political leadership they had at the time. Trump and Boris Johnson were the worst possible leaders for these countries to have during a pandemic and they both actively undermined their respective health departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

A few random vaccine questions I had. Forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions, I'm not much of a science guy.

edit: explained better by other posters below.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 25, 2020

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

A few random vaccine questions I had. Forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions, I'm not much of a science guy.

When they say the efficacy is 94 percent or whatever, is the 6 percent that don't get immunity because of a problem with the particular dose or something to do with their personal body chemistry? Like if you had the vaccine done, but didn't get immunity (also I assume the only way to know you didn't get immunity would be if you were infected after the 6 week mark?) would you potentially get immunity from being jabbed again? Or is there just roughly 6% of people that it won't work for at all?

The 94% is just how the numbers in the trial worked out, not any statement about circumstances of the 6%.

For the Pfizer vaccine trial 170 participants ended up with COVID of which 162 were in the placebo group and 8 were in the vaccine group. The formula is ((placebo people who got the disease - vaccine people who got the disease)/(placebo people who got the disease ))*100

So ((162-8)/162)*100=95%

Why those 8 people in the vaccine group were still infected? Who knows! I haven't heard of any follow up but it could be all sorts of things. Bodies are weird and immune systems are super weird.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The one in the Springs was apparently over 12 hours wait on opening day.

Of all the things I've read in this thread, this CANNOT be true.

People waited 12 hours to eat a fast food hamburger. Jesus christ, I hope the plague wins.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i live like yards away from that specific in and out and never go for that reason

i just walked over there and theres a line right now at 2pm christmas eve

My daughter, and her husband took us to one in San Jose (we're from NE Ohio), and I didn't notice anything terribly spectacular about them. The food was good, but it's not like a type, and quality we can't get back East that's at least as good if not slightly better. Weird, the attraction.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

My daughter, and her husband took us to one in San Jose (we're from NE Ohio), and I didn't notice anything terribly spectacular about them. The food was good, but it's not like a type, and quality we can't get back East that's at least as good if not slightly better. Weird, the attraction.

do you live near culvers

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Tom Cruise needs to come to Orange County, CA and bitch out all the people at the bars not wearing masks.

poo poo got real over the past month for me. Girlfriend, brother, and my friends mother have it now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

slow_twitch posted:

People waited 12 hours to eat a fast food hamburger. Jesus christ, I hope the plague wins.

Oh, they waited.

quote:

Last week, In-N-Out made its seventh state debut with the opening of two new outposts in Colorado Springs and Aurora, Colorado. Let's just say a quick swing through the drive-thru wasn't an option. According to the Denver Post, the Aurora location saw 14 hour lines by Friday evening.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/in-n-out-colorado-wait-times-new-locations

E: 60 of the 80 In n Out cases are at the Colorado Springs location.

https://www.kktv.com/2020/12/24/60-covid-19-cases-confirmed-at-colorado-springs-in-n-out/

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 25, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Tom Cruise needs to come to Orange County, CA and bitch out all the people at the bars not wearing masks.

poo poo got real over the past month for me. Girlfriend, brother, and my friends mother have it now.

How are they holding up? Mild symptoms, I hope?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChocNitty posted:

Quite the three way. Hope you're hanging in there.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

slow_twitch posted:

A couple years ago they opened the first Sonic in my town of about 100k people. The opening day they used the adjoining baseball field's parking lot as a drive thru queue, and that filled up entirely. People were waiting for hours in their car for a loving Sonic hot dog. We're animals and deserve everything we get.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Polio Vax Scene posted:

A couple years ago they opened the first Sonic in my town of about 100k people. The opening day they used the adjoining baseball field's parking lot as a drive thru queue, and that filled up entirely. People were waiting for hours in their car for a loving Sonic hot dog. We're animals and deserve everything we get.

I hope it's a sonic chili dog and golden rings

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

devmd01 posted:

That was the plan originally, yeah. I mean, I would rather my mom not come at all in general but I’m not the kind of person to keep her from seeing her grandkids.

Then you and your mom are the same kind of rock-stupid idiot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

When they say the efficacy is 94 percent or whatever, is the 6 percent that don't get immunity because of a problem with the particular dose or something to do with their personal body chemistry? Like if you had the vaccine done, but didn't get immunity (also I assume the only way to know you didn't get immunity would be if you were infected after the 6 week mark?) would you potentially get immunity from being jabbed again? Or is there just roughly 6% of people that it won't work for at all?

7of7 covered most of it but I'll also note that none of the 8 people who received the vaccine had serious symptoms which is suggestive that it provided them some protection without completely preventing infection. Basically 95% less people who got the vaccine caught covid compared to those who didn't, we can't say exactly why individuals did or didn't but for any vaccine there's always some people it's not very effective for. As an aside 95% is utterly outstanding and we are so lucky the spike protein appears to be such a good target.

Finally we don't yet know if the vaccine prevents only symptoms or if it gives what's called sterilising immunity where people have no symptoms but also are unable to catch and spread the virus asymptomatically.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My gf's mom was talking about their church service tonight and how packed it appeared to be there (she attended virtually, but in person services are open). Apparently their pastor literally says that if you feel fine you should come to church because it's not the same virtually, and apparently says "You wouldn't want to eat a burger virtually, would you???" as his big zinger. I mean what in the gently caress :psypop:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would eat an eBurger

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Professor Shark posted:

I would eat an eBurger

Especially if the alternative was to drown in virus juice.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I would download a burger

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was like if they told me that jesus christ himself was going to be there and 'it's just not the same seeing the son of god virtually', that is a somewhat valid comparison.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Maybe rapcat was there. I'd line up for that.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

explosivo posted:

I was like if they told me that jesus christ himself was going to be there and 'it's just not the same seeing the son of god virtually', that is a somewhat valid comparison.

By the miracle to transubstantiation, eBurger becomes Double-Decker-Western-Turbo-Bacon-Cheesburger on its way to your mouth.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hope that priest drinks from the same chalice as the sickest in his flock as a show of solidarity.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can't blame some people for wanting to see family even though it might kill them. This past year might be the first time they've seen the cracks in the system and they might want something that feels familiar to distract them from reality. Still an unwise decision but I can see why they're doing it.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

I can't blame some people for wanting to see family even though it might kill them. This past year might be the first time they've seen the cracks in the system and they might want something that feels familiar to distract them from reality. Still an unwise decision but I can see why they're doing it.

Tons of people want their inheritance early, can't blame 'em.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Gaunab posted:

Weak. If you're cracking already you'll never make it. :unsmigghh:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

explosivo posted:

My gf's mom was talking about their church service tonight and how packed it appeared to be there (she attended virtually, but in person services are open). Apparently their pastor literally says that if you feel fine you should come to church because it's not the same virtually, and apparently says "You wouldn't want to eat a burger virtually, would you???" as his big zinger. I mean what in the gently caress :psypop:

Ah no big deal he's just trying to get human sacrifices for his god.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Moloch Megachurch has a nice ring to it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just got back from an illegal christmas gathering :2bong:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

explosivo posted:

Does this guy not know that you can order food online

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
It's harder to grift your flock if you have to make an online pay portal :ssh:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

slow_twitch posted:

People waited in line overnight to eat mediocre pancakes when an IHOP opened up in Winnipeg. A new terrible chain restaraunt opening in this city is an EVENT!

This city has an amazing food culture that's wasted on the locals.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Just found out my dad, a throat cancer survivor without much of a throat now, was exposed a few days ago. The host was big on not wearing masks.

No symptoms or positive tests but, I'm loving furious. Like seeing red type of poo poo.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Alan Smithee posted:

do you live near culvers

Apparently, there's one about 45 minutes from us. Huh, never heard of them. I just checked out their online menu, and drat, I could eat one of those burgers right now. We used to have a Steak 'n Shake nearby, and I'd rate their stuff way better than the In and Out I had. For some reason, they closed though. I don't know why, the place was always packed.

Ohio covid news: DeWine announced that once all the first responders, and nursing home residents are dealt with, 65+ is next followed by all school staff. It's clear he's going to keep pushing to get all students back in person by 3/1/21 which is a purely political move, but I can't say I'm not entirely unhappy since my wife works for a school system that gives no shits about its staff, and she's been dealing with GAD since about June because of it. Not sleeping, barely eating, and it's been a nightmare for her going into work everyday. After hearing the news, she's already sleeping better, and that's nice. Me, I'm a few rungs down the ladder from her, vaccine-wise, and I'm fine with that. I've been 100% remote since February, and my company has no plans in 2021 to bring people back into the office (I'm IT). Let the people who need it get it first.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

Then you and your mom are the same kind of rock-stupid idiot.

He is genetically related to her so that checks out :hmmyes:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I always have a big christmas eve dinner with 2 other families. This year we swapped dishes without meeting. I'm glad I can have my favorite homecooked Armenian dishes. They are delicious but it all feels so empty eating a big feast on my lonesome. :geno:

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Picked up holiday dinner at Whole Foods and it was weird as hell. The instructions said to go upstairs to the bar that’s closed, go to the desk, and then someone will walk you to meat section to pick up your food. Sounds like an extra step unless it was stealth monitoring of chuds coming in with their body falling apart.

The actual experience was I almost went upstairs to the employee area, then found the real stairs, lights off up there with ‘go to the service desk for your pickup’. Go to meat section to ask where the service desk is, points behind me, then wait inside a Whole Foods for 10 minutes for the order to come from somewhere.

While I was waiting, some guy came up to the ‘no pandemic happening plastic ware dispenser’ playing with it for 5 minutes. I back away.. he complains to the service desk lady and they both roll up on me to get him a fork. Someone else rolls up as quickly to sanitize the thing 2 feet away from me as I’m backing into a pile of wine cases.

If I didn’t pay ahead of time it was curbside. Nice knowing y’all

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Sorry to sound all OCD about it I feel like, but you’re Amazon for fucks sake make with the logistics

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Apple watch notification pops: BREATHE :crackping:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

hellotoothpaste posted:

Apple watch notification pops: BREATHE :crackping:

I turned that off in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
"Just get covid already so you can stop worrying about it and move on with your life." Motherfucker, you have inflamed/scarred heart tissue and if you are lucky that's the only lasting damage covid did to your body. Not getting covid also means that you haven't continued the spread of covid, so there's that.

I'll say one good thing about covid, not having it has really made me appreciate the taste of food more. It's just reassuring to know I can taste things.