Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Darkrenown posted:

Forged

Does anyone else feel like Richard is a bit of a let down? He went off to another world to learn special magic, but then just seems to have bonded with a Jinn (Did the mages of the other world also fight a war against Jinn and also choose to unbond them from their physical bodies? Or did he just learn the technique there and bond with an Earth-Jinn?) and that's basically it? Rachel managed that as a teenager here, albeit in a hosed up manner. And Anne just picked up a ring and agreed to host it. I seem to remember when Alex was hanging out with him for a bit in recent books he checked the futures of just going at him with his knife and having pretty good odds of winning, and that was before the fateweaver.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed with where the story has gone with regards to the Jinn being the driving force as I mentioned in a previous post. There were so many more interesting possibilities for Richard and the whole world. The Jinn just suck everything interesting out of the whole story. If it had been a minor part of Richard's plan that was resolved this book or last book, that would have been one thing. However, swapping to the Jinn as the major antagonists this far through the series just isn't that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I'll also admit that the whole Jinn thing is suffering by comparison with Tim Powers's Declarewhich I recently finished.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

I'll also admit that the whole Jinn thing is suffering by comparison with Tim Powers's Declarewhich I recently finished.

Also S.A. Chakraborty's Daevabad trilogy, which isn't exactly urban fantasy since it takes place in the past, but in the timeframe it supposedly happens everything is in contemporary urban environments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly upon rereading I think a genuine issue is:

Jacka kind of turned Anne into an author pet to the point where it clearly ended up dominating the series more and more as it goes on. He clearly is more interested in writing about her than basically any other character but that means he falls into the author's trap of trying to make the plot ABOUT her. Which always rings a little false because Anne was a part of the gang (and obviously set up as a Verus love interest once he realized making Luna Alex's love interest was actually really not cool) but he kept slapping more and more traits on her to make her Important. So she's a powerful life mage who has a split personality, was secretly trained as an assassin, lived with a rakshasa, is feared by everyone around her but Alex and maybe Luna, and is the perfect heir for the most powerful Djinn of all time. Meanwhile pretty much the rest of the cast is just not that complex and their drama comes almost exclusively from having different objectives and philosophies.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Fallom posted:

I'm finding this new Laundry Files book so hard to read that it's genuinely making me wonder why I liked the series in the first place

I keep going back to it before bed every night and only making it a page or two

This makes me sad

First one I won't be re-reading. It's as if someone else tried to write a book in that universe. So clumsy and with none of the wit or occasional dead from the other books.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also S.A. Chakraborty's Daevabad trilogy, which isn't exactly urban fantasy since it takes place in the past, but in the timeframe it supposedly happens everything is in contemporary urban environments.

I'm not familiar with that, though I have heard of City of Brass. That'll probably be one to check out. Meanwhile, Declare is just amazing. One of the "rules" that Powers followed in writing it was that nothing that occurred could specifically contradict recorded history. He managed to pull a really awesome story out of the "spaces between" in history.

Plus it's both a well-done dark fantasy and a well-done, historical spy novel with neither aspect getting short shrift.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly upon rereading I think a genuine issue is:

Jacka kind of turned Anne into an author pet to the point where it clearly ended up dominating the series more and more as it goes on. He clearly is more interested in writing about her than basically any other character but that means he falls into the author's trap of trying to make the plot ABOUT her. Which always rings a little false because Anne was a part of the gang (and obviously set up as a Verus love interest once he realized making Luna Alex's love interest was actually really not cool) but he kept slapping more and more traits on her to make her Important. So she's a powerful life mage who has a split personality, was secretly trained as an assassin, lived with a rakshasa, is feared by everyone around her but Alex and maybe Luna, and is the perfect heir for the most powerful Djinn of all time. Meanwhile pretty much the rest of the cast is just not that complex and their drama comes almost exclusively from having different objectives and philosophies.

Yeah I was wondering if Luna and Alex where gonna end up as a couple first, felt like he was going that way, though it also felt by then as if it was a feint made on purpose. And yeah Anne just ended up as quite boring a character and the djinn are just even more boring. I don't give two fucks about the djinn (or is it jinn), I wanted to know about Richard, what he had been doing in the other world and how it factored in here. The djinn can go wish themselves out of the story for all I care.

Another impression I am getting from the series, is that after a certain point there is no redemption, once you go too far you're not gonna be able to wash all that blood off. Rachel sure wasn't redeemed, and I don't think Anne can be redeemed either after killing so many innocents, split personality or not, and likely not Alex either. I wonder if it's gonna end in a dark way.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's definitely djinn.

Also I hope the series does end in a dark way, because any sort of happy ending would require some seriously unforseen Deus Ex Machina poo poo to fix what has happened so far.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is there still a dedicated Dresden thread or did it get rolled into this? I just started reading the beginning of Battle Ground and had no loving idea what was going on and then found out I somehow missed not one but two books this year? 2020 really has been pretty distracting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is there still a dedicated Dresden thread or did it get rolled into this? I just started reading the beginning of Battle Ground and had no loving idea what was going on and then found out I somehow missed not one but two books this year? 2020 really has been pretty distracting.

Yeah though from what people say it is a hobbit situation where it is one book stretched over two

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Yeah, I found Peace Talks to be pretty unsatisfying, because it ends at about the point that a Dresden story gets good. And Battle Ground was just too long. He wanted a big battle, and he stretched it out into an entire book. It was just... I got fatigued reading it. As one story, I think it’s pretty okay. Graded on their individual merits? Blah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

You didn't miss anything worth reading that Dresden doesn't recap in Battle Ground anyway.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Just finished Battle Ground. Didn't NOT like it, but I have to echo what others have already said in that Peace Talks/Battle Ground is one long sloppy book and it should have been edited into shape before being shoved out into the world.

StonecutterJoe fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 16, 2020

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Also, so much of Peace Talks falls flat if you don't read the 2nd short story anthology that collects a bunch of Butcher's things in between the long gap between Skin Game and Peace Talks/Battle Grounds. I enjoyed it but yeah the writing is pretty eh. Fun but dumb.

I also finally finished Forged. I agree with basically everyone's posts in the past two pages. Give No Fucks Alex is fun and I find that the Fateweaver powerup was an actual better implementation than Cold Knight Dresden. I enjoyed the entire book and tying up the many hanging threads even if I was also kinda disappointed about how Deleo plot was basically handled.. Someone mentioned a Cinder spinoff and boy would I read the poo poo outta that. I am so... whelmed by the setup for the final book.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

One of the things that really annoys me about Forged is how shockingly little the prior books matter. So many of the pivotal moments are Verus + Fateweaver powering through some crap that honestly I think it could've been book 2 or 3- none of his friendships, links to society, mage politics, or any of that crap matters- after books of floundering around in a zillion different directions it just came down to grabbing a really good artifact and going to town.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That's literally what Arachne said he'd have to do, though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omi no Kami posted:

One of the things that really annoys me about Forged is how shockingly little the prior books matter. So many of the pivotal moments are Verus + Fateweaver powering through some crap that honestly I think it could've been book 2 or 3- none of his friendships, links to society, mage politics, or any of that crap matters- after books of floundering around in a zillion different directions it just came down to grabbing a really good artifact and going to town.

I know I'm probably going to poke biracial bear for uncut with a stick with this, but in some ways Harry Dresden and Alex Verus are almost inverses of each other. Dresden has gobs of power and influence (with more being offered/shoved at him in each book) when you get right down it. He just doesn't really know how to use it - at least in ways that are congruent with whatever his current level of "moral courage" happens to be at any given time. Verus pretty well knows what needs to be done (or thinks he does) and his the will/moral courage to do it, but mostly didn't have the power/influence to do it and most of the series was Verus trying to get it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Molly-POV Christmas Eve microfic, concurrent with Dresden's Christmas Eve short story and assumes you've read Battle Ground.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Everyone posted:

I know I'm probably going to poke biracial bear for uncut with a stick with this, but in some ways Harry Dresden and Alex Verus are almost inverses of each other. Dresden has gobs of power and influence (with more being offered/shoved at him in each book) when you get right down it. He just doesn't really know how to use it - at least in ways that are congruent with whatever his current level of "moral courage" happens to be at any given time. Verus pretty well knows what needs to be done (or thinks he does) and his the will/moral courage to do it, but mostly didn't have the power/influence to do it and most of the series was Verus trying to get it.

That actually works pretty well thematically, but I wish it'd been expressed in the text better.[/spoiler]

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Aerdan posted:

Molly-POV Christmas Eve microfic, concurrent with Dresden's Christmas Eve short story and assumes you've read Battle Ground.

Yeah, when Butcher is good, he's really, really good. Sappy and glorious.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Everyone posted:

Yeah, when Butcher is good, he's really, really good. Sappy and glorious.

It was good but the Bruce Lee reference irked me

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Aerdan posted:

That was really good. Butcher can hit the emotional notes like few others and he should embrace that aspect more. Sometimes the plot can feel diluted by too many side characters and the pop culture references almost feel like a joyless obligation, but the man can still do the feels really well.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Benedict Jacka mentioned on his blog a few days ago that he's pretty much finished the last Verus novel, titled Risen. I have thoughts about that title and Verus' final disposition.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drone Jett posted:

Benedict Jacka mentioned on his blog a few days ago that he's pretty much finished the last Verus novel, titled Risen. I have thoughts about that title and Verus' final disposition.

Wait, last or latest? I thought there was going to be a bunch more.

E: Yikes, I was very wrong!

quote:

Just started the last confrontation in what’ll be the last chapter of the last Alex Verus book. Word count is at 94,000 out of my original estimate of 90,000.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Aerdan posted:

This part interests me.

quote:

“Go!” I shouted to the Unicorn, conveying my Will in the word, and the beast leapt toward the area of greatest density of deliveries still in progress.

I shrieked and drew my Sword (not really a sword, per se, long story) from empty air, and drove forward in a howl of cold and snow and shadow. I howled my desire and urgency to Winter, drove my sleigh toward them, Sword flashing, sending them hurtling faster about their errands in sheer terror, filling the night with eerie cries.

The only time I remember "Sword" as a proper capitalized noun is with the three Swords of The Cross. Is there another use I'm forgetting?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smertrioslol posted:

It was good but the Bruce Lee reference irked me

Yeah, that yanked me out a bit. I mean died in Hong Kong, buried in Seattle but hanging around in Chicago for Mort? Should have been just "martial artist's ghost" or even skipped altogether. Butters wrapped in ribbon was funny enough.

Gnoman posted:

The only time I remember "Sword" as a proper capitalized noun is with the three Swords of The Cross. Is there another use I'm forgetting?

I'm thinking it's just an important instrument of her office. Plus, I'm sure there's plenty of named swords out in the world besides the Swords of the Cross.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 29, 2020

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plus she can probably just conjure one out of thin air with fae magic.
It's not efficient to do, it's legit less hassle to just get a real sword, but seeing as how she was just doing Winter stuff, it was probably more form than function, especially since she was in full Winter mode and I doubt MP was an issue for her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
"Not really a sword, per se, long story" is a pretty clear indicator it has nothing to do with swords like you're thinking.

Probably a symbol of her mantle.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
On the other hand, I don't recall Maev ever having a sword so it might be something Molly found or made. Or Maev was too poo poo at her job to use it. Or Jim made it up for this story.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Darkrenown posted:

On the other hand, I don't recall Maev ever having a sword so it might be something Molly found or made. Or Maev was too poo poo at her job to use it. Or Jim made it up for this story.

Nah, Maeve had a sword in Summer Knight. Dresden just didn't give a poo poo because he had his own problems.

Also Jim is throwing poo poo at the wall right now, so that last bit is also probably true.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It would hardly be unheard of for a fae to have a sword, that is, a bit of sharp metal used for stabbing people. I think this is the first time I've heard any of them refer to having a Sword, which suggests a badge of office, yeah.

I liked the story and I don't usually like Butcher's non-Harry-POV Dresden stories that much, because he's not usually very good at making his narrators sound like not-Harry. He wasn't here either, but it was a fun enough story that I didn't care.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

docbeard posted:

It would hardly be unheard of for a fae to have a sword, that is, a bit of sharp metal used for stabbing people. I think this is the first time I've heard any of them refer to having a Sword, which suggests a badge of office, yeah.

I liked the story and I don't usually like Butcher's non-Harry-POV Dresden stories that much, because he's not usually very good at making his narrators sound like not-Harry. He wasn't here either, but it was a fun enough story that I didn't care.

The Fae, generally the Sidhe, have used swords in previous books. They just don't use iron or steel swords.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It was the proper noun that threw me. She has a Sword, not simply a sword that isn't exactly a sword.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's pronounced sword.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's actually S Words, Mr. Connery

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

It's actually S Words, Mr. Connery

"Feck you, yeh bag of rotten haggis. I'll talk like a Scot while using my katana or I'll punch the lot of yeh in the cunts. You cunts." is something Sean Connery probably said on the set of Highlander.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
A sword that is not a sword?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I actually enjoyed Forged an awful lot, warts and all. If nothing else it's the book where we got the most Cinder/Verus time, which is cool and good. There are things I don't like, but the most obvious one is Anne- which is something that drags down a couple of books, really. And I'm not entirely sure what it is about her that prevents her from being a satisfying character, but I feel like if she was, it would have elevated the series as a whole and made a number of the books hit so much harder.

Also I recently finished the Wisdom's Grave trilogy and I loved it sooooo verrrrrry muuuuuuch. The books are good on their own, but the way they weave in jokes and elements from the rest of the series is priceless.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Was just randomly googling what Daniel O'Malley was up to (The Rook, Stiletto) and saw there's a new Checquy book coming out in March(?), yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Was just randomly googling what Daniel O'Malley was up to (The Rook, Stiletto) and saw there's a new Checquy book coming out in March(?), yay!

Yay! Any mention on the POV? I'm still smarting over the non-Mifanwy POV in Stiletto but I'm sure it'll be better on a re-read with calibrated expectations.