Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

What about Fury vs Wilder 3?

The rematch clause was allowed to expire, so I doubt fury’s gonna waste his time going back to that well.

Wilder is currently suing to get the fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Top 5 fights possible for 2021:

1. Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua
2. Terence Crawford vs Errol Spence
3. Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin 3 (unfortunately)
4. Josh Taylor vs Jose Carlos Ramirez
5. Dmitry Bivol vs Artur Beterbiev

Honourable Mention: Jermall Charlo vs Demetrius Andrade

What about a fight between (any 2 of) Teofimo Lopez, Tank Davis, Devin Haney, Ryan Garcia

Edit: Stolen from Twitter, and not a top fight by most definitions other than violence per second but I would love to see Edgar Berlanga vs David Lemieux at some point

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 22, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
does anyone think that usyk is going to have any serious success at heavyweight? his fight with chisora was.... troubling. i could see him mayyyyybe having the boxing chops to outpoint joshua if he survives the first half, but wilder would probably find a punch in 12 rounds and fury would maul him.

would love to see usyk / fury though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i feel like usyk is gonna struggle a bit at heavy in terms of power but just based on his skill and footwork he can probably win a few decisions. he’s probably not winning a title unless it’s vacated

i think he’d be best served going back down to cruiser unless he’s having a hard time making weight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

does anyone think that usyk is going to have any serious success at heavyweight? his fight with chisora was.... troubling. i could see him mayyyyybe having the boxing chops to outpoint joshua if he survives the first half, but wilder would probably find a punch in 12 rounds and fury would maul him.

would love to see usyk / fury though.

I don't really believe it either, but the best thing you can say here is that lots of good heavyweights have had struggles against Chisora. I agree with you especially about Fury, who just has too much in every department.

Still, the money of heavyweight talks, so he's got to stay there.

The SituAsian posted:

What about a fight between (any 2 of) Teofimo Lopez, Tank Davis, Devin Haney, Ryan Garcia

Edit: Stolen from Twitter, and not a top fight by most definitions other than violence per second but I would love to see Edgar Berlanga vs David Lemieux at some point

Hard yes to both of these.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

does anyone think that usyk is going to have any serious success at heavyweight? his fight with chisora was.... troubling.

Agreed, and I don't think he has any chance at making any real noise at the weight. He has no power at all at heavyweight, and he actually has looked slower and less effective as well. He's also pretty tiny compared to the elite of the division. Maybe he could win the WBA "regular" title, as I think he could probably beat Manuel Charr or Trevor Bryan or Robert Helenius or whoever has that belt at the moment (it's hard to keep track, and who really cares?).There's a chance he could beat Deontay Wilder by decision, but somehow I doubt it, and he definitely doesn't beat either Joshua or Fury.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think, for a guy who isn't really a good "boxer", it's extremely hard to outbox Wilder. He's just got crazy range and a very fast right hand. You can't really just stick and move when you have to cover that distance. Fury did it once, as a taller man, and he still took two knockdowns for the trouble. Nobody else in the division is going to have that size on Wilder, and very few have that boxing ability either.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just realized wilder is 35, is there any perception that he's very much on the clock to make or break his career in the next year or two?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just realized wilder is 35, is there any perception that he's very much on the clock to make or break his career in the next year or two?

i mean he was a world title holder for the past 5 years and a top 3 heavyweight for the decade, he’s 42-1-1, he has a bronze medal

his career is pretty much Made, i don’t really know that he has anything he needs to do to check a box on a list of accomplishments; he might want to beat joshua and fury just to put himself in the conversation as the best, but i don’t think he needs to fight a single other round for him to have had a career in the 99th percentile

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's fair, I guess I was kind of hoping he'd "grow" into a more technical fighter, and now I see I was really clueless as to how far along his career was.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's fair, I guess I was kind of hoping he'd "grow" into a more technical fighter, and now I see I was really clueless as to how far along his career was.

I do not blame his trainer for leaving good enough alone. You'd have to deprogram a lot of whatever the secret sauce is to build in fundamentals.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For some reason I thought he came into boxing later in life and was unpolished but now I'm reading he started at 20, won the golden gloves, went to the Olympics, etc. I sort of had this apparently unfounded assumption that he/his trainer(s) never had or took the time to become, if not a textbook fighter, then a sophisticated one; like how foreman isn't conventional but he's nonetheless highly developed and purposeful. But, once again, IDKSAB.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 23, 2020

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1341760069462085638?s=19

Martin Murray announced his retirement. He has to have (or be close to) having the most world title shots without winning one though he suffered a few bad decisions, namely against Sergio Martinez and Felix Sturm

Edit: The Freak show fights, will they ever stop?

https://twitter.com/ChaelSonnen/status/1341475976056721408?s=19

Chael is referring to the idea that if Jake Paul he wins then he would box Conor McGregor flunky (non Artem Lobov) Dillon Danis

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 23, 2020

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

is anyone going to pay money to watch ben askren box. im sure jake paul has a dedicated buying fanbase but good lord

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wilder is sort of infamous as the fighter who is currently amongst the greatest of the era but is hardly recognized for it. He didn't really get mainstream recognition (e.g. people outside of boxing) until his last fight with Fury.

A major reason why he flipped out during his "TIL THIS DAY!" interaction was because despite all of his accomplishments nobody but boxing fans know his name. That if he was white he'd be a household name.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

is it smarter to make 100x more money fighting Floyd Mayweather in a spectacle fight where you're likely getting knocked the gently caress out in a late and exciting fashion, or make comparative table scraps to take absolutely no damage from Ben Askren's 'boxing'. dang it's heckin close, I think

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

poo poo I'd box people who don't know how to box for $100/round happily. And then I'd grapple people who don't know how to grapple.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

:lol:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

is anyone going to pay money to watch ben askren box. im sure jake paul has a dedicated buying fanbase but good lord

as a Mizzou alum I think I'm legally required to buy this PPV

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wilder is sort of infamous as the fighter who is currently amongst the greatest of the era but is hardly recognized for it. He didn't really get mainstream recognition (e.g. people outside of boxing) until his last fight with Fury.

A major reason why he flipped out during his "TIL THIS DAY!" interaction was because despite all of his accomplishments nobody but boxing fans know his name. That if he was white he'd be a household name.

i mean he was the first american heavyweight champion since lamon brewster won a fluke over a klitschko; the fact that there was and is almost zero fanfare around him in this country is weird (although probably reflective of a deeper lack of interest in combat sports as anything but spectacle here)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ben Askren in a boxing match is one of the most hilarious things I could ever imagine.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ben Askren in a boxing match is one of the most hilarious things I could ever imagine.

I wonder if it's gonna look any worse than Jake Shields doing kickboxing on Bully Beatdown

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't see Fury vs Joshua happening in any situation where Covid is preventing a sell-out at Wembley.

I don't think it's especially competitive either so I'm not pining for it.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can't see Fury vs Joshua happening in any situation where Covid is preventing a sell-out at Wembley.

I don't think it's especially competitive either so I'm not pining for it.

What??? Fury Joshua is one of the best possible matchups they could possibly make at heavyweight.

Who would you rather the two guys face than each other?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jake Paul opened up -180 to Askren's +150. if I had anything to bet, it would all go on Jake Paul

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I know it’s illegal but it would be hilarious if jake Paul came out with a flying knee

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/tyson_fury/status/1341530152354910211?s=21

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Fury-Joshua as the biggest heavyweight matchup for 2021 goes without saying. But I'd love to see Wilder back in against a legit contender. Wilder-Usyk or Wilder-Ruiz would get my attention.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I asked it before but it got lost in the middle of some TVIV boxing posts.

What are some good lesser known boxing documentaries? I've seen a lot of the legendary nights and most of the obvious ones.

TIA

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seen unforgivable blackness, 2004 film based on the book by the same name? I read the book but if the film is in any way a worthy adaptation I'd call it must see.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr. F! posted:

The rematch clause was allowed to expire, so I doubt fury’s gonna waste his time going back to that well.

Wilder is currently suing to get the fight though.

Summary of Wilder's case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDrWLxj_fHM

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Aye Doc posted:

Jake Paul opened up -180 to Askren's +150. if I had anything to bet, it would all go on Jake Paul

Paul might actually win this one. This is pretty much the one pro mma fighter I think he could outbox.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1342234342165078017

Presented without comment

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Lmao what

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean he was the first american heavyweight champion since lamon brewster won a fluke over a klitschko; the fact that there was and is almost zero fanfare around him in this country is weird (although probably reflective of a deeper lack of interest in combat sports as anything but spectacle here)

I realize that this is very :can: but I do wonder how much of him being overlooked is racism and how much of it is combat sports riding and dying by strong eccentric personalities.

It is sad that if Wilder would have won the fight against Fury, he would have catapulted into mainstream discourse.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
DAZN takes the new Covid bill seriously.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone willing to take a 6er today to spread an important message?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

UP YOURS MOD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I realize that this is very :can: but I do wonder how much of him being overlooked is racism and how much of it is combat sports riding and dying by strong eccentric personalities.

It is sad that if Wilder would have won the fight against Fury, he would have catapulted into mainstream discourse.

Don't really see how racism has anything to do with it considering black Americans like Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc became huge crossover/mainstream stars.

Boxing is just a much more niche sport than it was in the 20th century, the entertainment/media landscape is far more fragmented now anyway, and Wilder doesn't really have a compelling enough personality/charisma to elevate himself as a mainstream celebrity without the dominant resume, which he doesn't have due to losing to Fury. He was also brought along far too slowly, against mostly bums, in fights almost nobody saw, until very recently. I mean, Wilder wasn't even on the mainstream sport radar whatsoever until like 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mekchu posted:

i volunteer as tribute

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)