Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I'm right at 10hrs/20 attempts and in a state of "grind for upgrades and hope that it's enough". I'll stick to it as is for a little while longer, focus on Hammers, and rotate through whatever weapons have +% Darkness bonus (sword is... underwhelming so far).

And I've given Charon all but one Nectar, who knows if that's going to pay off any time soon.

Edit: check out the holiday wallpaper that SG put out, it's great: https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/happy-holidays-from-supergiant-2020/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mean there's nothing wrong with turning on god mode if that's more fun for you. That's what it's there for. But Hades is a roguelike set in an inescapable labyrinth, and dying is how you progress the story, so there's really no hurry. Winning isn't the point.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

God mode is great, and perfectly designed for how the game progresses. You can also turn it off and on anytime you want.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

Negative_Earth posted:

And I've given Charon all but one Nectar, who knows if that's going to pay off any time soon.

Give everyone you can exactly 1 nectar first before you go loading them all up on someone.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How many runs in are you?

If it's less than 20 then you shouldn't be winning anyway. You need to power up the mirror and unlock things through the contractor like fountains.

If it's more than 30.. maybe you should just turn on god mode lol. I could see how that would be frustrating.

Maybe it's different if you're trying to clear it ASAP and reading builds and concentrating on one weapon and trying to get a low number in 'how fast did it take you to clear' e-peen competition, but I wasn't reading the thread because of spoilers until maybe try 33 or so (which is when I realised people keep track of 'how many tries did it take to clear the first time') and I beat it on try 37 I think. I don't think I'm bad at the game. My first two clears were sword then fists.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

twice I hit elysium mobs for over 3k with this build, and it could've been higher - didn't have heart rend or clean kill at that point. I love crit backstabs on excalibur's final hit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If you really want to force your first win against Hades, take the shield and just Bull Rush the whole time. Hide behind that bitch and take ten minutes doing nicks and cuts until he's dead. Try to get Aphrodite call to speed it up too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just checked my stats and I've beat it once with 4 different weapons, and I'm on try #50something (52 I think). I still insist that I'm not bad! I mostly die to Hades. I think if I were trying to optimize and always beat it, I'd stick to the weapon I'm best at (gloves or sword) and just play with that weapon on all the time and use the titan blood I get to improve the other weapons.

I also noticed this time I'm playing (last played in october) that I get most of my damage by thinking 'this is bayonetta, I can tap dodge at any time' but it's more like dark souls: you commit to any attack you make and can only dodge after the animation is done.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

redreader posted:

Maybe it's different if you're trying to clear it ASAP and reading builds and concentrating on one weapon and trying to get a low number in 'how fast did it take you to clear' e-peen competition, but I wasn't reading the thread because of spoilers until maybe try 33 or so (which is when I realised people keep track of 'how many tries did it take to clear the first time') and I beat it on try 37 I think. I don't think I'm bad at the game. My first two clears were sword then fists.

Yeah that was mostly an arbitrary number. I don't know how many attempts it usually takes people to win, but I think some people get frustrated by losing twenty times in a row and think something wrong, but nope it's just how the game works!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

redreader posted:

I just checked my stats and I've beat it once with 4 different weapons, and I'm on try #50something (52 I think). I still insist that I'm not bad! I mostly die to Hades. I think if I were trying to optimize and always beat it, I'd stick to the weapon I'm best at (gloves or sword) and just play with that weapon on all the time and use the titan blood I get to improve the other weapons.

I also noticed this time I'm playing (last played in october) that I get most of my damage by thinking 'this is bayonetta, I can tap dodge at any time' but it's more like dark souls: you commit to any attack you make and can only dodge after the animation is done.

this is one of the reasons the fists are so great, there's very little downtime. i find my problem is that i think there's more invincibility than there actually is, so I get the Athena reflect-dodge every time I'm able to because my brain just keeps expecting that ability whether it's there or not.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I take the Athena reflect-dodge so reliably that I sometime forget I can't just deflect with dodge normally. I agree with whoever said a while back the extra dashes from the mirror can be a crutch but also it is super fun to lean into a dodge build and utilise traps for damage as long as you have some kind of plan for ramping damage for Dad. Lucifer Rail in particular I sometimes have trouble with some of the really busy rooms full of smaller dudes and you can help that by putting some damage into the special but imo you get more utility for boss fights and about the same amount for clearing those rooms by just leaning into dodge boons instead

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 24, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Can I just give a huge shoutout to the sound designer on this game who sat down and constructed a bunch of incrementally less lovely sounding harp chords to demonstrate your progress trying to play it. Actually incredible stuff

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What triggers progress on learning to play? Buying songs or strumming in between runs? Or both?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

What triggers progress on learning to play? Buying songs or strumming in between runs? Or both?
strum between runs

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bowmore posted:

strum between runs

Cool, that's what I've been doing. Taking a while, like everything. He is getting better.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I only had the strumming change sound once, I think, and it never seems to progress again...I wonder if I'm stuck somehow or I'm just not strumming enough. I've certainly done enough runs since Orpheus gave me a mini lesson but the Prophecy remains unfulfilled

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
** I am a double posting idiot please send me to Tartarus

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you have to strum a lot

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Supergiant Games's Game are typically what you see is what you get, they don't add any expansions or some such.

This game has an astronomically high replay rate in comparison to the story driven linear games they've had in the past. Are they considering adding more stuff to tinker with in the game?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I have tried and tried, and admittedly had some pretty broken runs, but overall, there is absolutely nothing about Guan Yu that even comes close to justifying losing half your health and healing. It's trash, and it needs a ground-up redesign.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It’s terrible, I think I did a heatless run to get to the surface.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I have cleared twice with guan yu at 3 and 5 heat. I don’t get the hate. You do have to upgrade it at least once or twice but you don’t need to go all five, and it really rewards a careful and patient playstyle.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I have cleared twice with guan yu at 3 and 5 heat. I don’t get the hate.

That's why.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Spergatory posted:

That's why.

Ok, but there are posters itt talking about heatless runs, that’s why I chimed in. I don’t think it’s broken or even top tier, but there are some people who absolutely trash guan yu in a way I think is unwarranted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ok, but there are posters itt talking about heatless runs, that’s why I chimed in. I don’t think it’s broken or even top tier, but there are some people who absolutely trash guan yu in a way I think is unwarranted.

Guan Yu's issue is that it has by far the most significant penalty in the game and its strengths are not enough to make up for that. If you're only comfortable doing heatless runs then the HP loss is going to feel a lot more significant to you.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Higher heat has a way of really, really highlighting a weapon's weaknesses. Especially EM4 Final Boss, who hits so hard, so often, and so unpredictably that having low health is pretty much a death sentence.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So when do I find the use for Ambrosia? I've now beaten the game probably about 20 times and accumulated 45 of the things.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ariong posted:

So when do I find the use for Ambrosia? I've now beaten the game probably about 20 times and accumulated 45 of the things.

you need to give people more nectar

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

eke out posted:

you need to give people more nectar

Seriously? When I gave some to Skelly way back when he seemed to indicate you don't get anything for giving someone more than one. Ugh! I could have been doing that this whole time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

holy poo poo, i just got my first crack at the Eris Rail hammer that turns the special into a rocket, and it feels 1000% better. wish there was some way to guarantee getting that because it felt like a totally different and much, much better weapon. honestly i'd take that just as its own aspect.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Ariong posted:

Seriously? When I gave some to Skelly way back when he seemed to indicate you don't get anything for giving someone more than one. Ugh! I could have been doing that this whole time.

You get a keepsake for giving the first nectar to everyone, and if you don’t have many nectar, that’s the best way to go at the start. You deepen relationships and progress the story by giving more. Use the codex and look at the hearts for each npc to see where you stand. Typically you have to fill hearts up to the lock, then do *something* to unlock the next heart, and then you are typically giving ambrosia to fill out the rest of the relationship.

You can also exchange the ambrosia for titans blood.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Muscle Tracer posted:

holy poo poo, i just got my first crack at the Eris Rail hammer that turns the special into a rocket, and it feels 1000% better. wish there was some way to guarantee getting that because it felt like a totally different and much, much better weapon. honestly i'd take that just as its own aspect.

Nope, you just have to roll the dice with the two hammers (and possibly the anvil) that you get.

The Rail generally has more good hammers than bad though. That said, try combining the rocket special with either the hammer that lets you fire three times in rapid succession, or the one that fires five times with reduced damage.

I think the only lackluster hammer spread for me is the spear. Some of the sword hammers can also be a little clunky (looking at you attack > big chop).

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think the only lackluster hammer spread for me is the spear. Some of the sword hammers can also be a little clunky (looking at you attack > big chop).

Idk what it is exactly but the chop feels a bit bugged. I know it's supposed to be a tradeoff (lose the swinging motion and gain damage) but the chop routinely misses in ways that other straightforward attacks (like the spear's) don't. That said I did a chop run on a maxxed Zag aspect where I had lambent plume + move speed = +damage + Artemis attack boon and it sure as hell made for some beefy crits... if the attack landed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Super Rad posted:

Idk what it is exactly but the chop feels a bit bugged. I know it's supposed to be a tradeoff (lose the swinging motion and gain damage) but the chop routinely misses in ways that other straightforward attacks (like the spear's) don't. That said I did a chop run on a maxxed Zag aspect where I had lambent plume + move speed = +damage + Artemis attack boon and it sure as hell made for some beefy crits... if the attack landed.

I feel like the Sword has the most amount of trap hammers. Just hammers that can upend runs and possibly ruin them.

Dec 25, 2020

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like the Sword has the most amount of trap hammers. Just hammers that can upend runs and possibly ruin them.

there's lots that won't necessarily ruin a run but missing out on cursed slash is probably the single biggest loss of potential possible in the game

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, the rocket launcher special is incredible, although rail is probably still my worst weapon.

Also, the boon that turns your cast basically into a shotgun is awful if you're using a weapon with no range

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm mystified by the people who like cursed slash. In my experience if you're getting enough hits in to heal faster than you're taking damage, you didn't need the healing in the first place, and the lower health just puts you in danger range for a bunch of fights.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What's a good hammer combination with the sword's 'less health but heal on attack' hammer skill? It reliably gets me to hades with no deaths as opposed to sometimes one death. I love it.

edit: lol. I didn't see the post above me.

Dec 25, 2020

fool of sound posted:

I'm mystified by the people who like cursed slash. In my experience if you're getting enough hits in to heal faster than you're taking damage, you didn't need the healing in the first place, and the lower health just puts you in danger range for a bunch of fights.

You can afford to be more aggressive if you know that hitting enemies is going to heal you. You can afford to take a hit you otherwise might not, kill an enemy faster, and then walk away no worse for wear. And if you end up making a mistake and taking a hit you weren't planning to take, you can back off, play more conservatively, and use hit and run tactics to build your health back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You can also YOLO problem enemies straight and just tank damage, then slowly recuperate it all. Like say if you have problems with specifically Shield guys.

...I'd still say it's not a great hammer, but not without its considerations.