Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Four plays deep on Dune Imperium and I'm happy to say it's a safe buy for anyone who likes a good deckbuilder. Whilst it commits the cardinal sin of having a market row, because the deck isn't the solo focus of play, it ends up being a really solid hybrid deckbuilder/worker-placement where board play is just as important. I'll probably make a more detailed video about it in the next week or so, but if folks are on the fence, I'd say pull the trigger - you won't be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

on the topic of FCM, does anyone have any good alternatives to the BGG card accordion and milestone boards which are currently available? I got a copy for the holidays and remember my friend having these and they were great, but it looks like they aren't being made anymore.

Check Etsy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Countblanc posted:

on the topic of FCM, does anyone have any good alternatives to the BGG card accordion and milestone boards which are currently available? I got a copy for the holidays and remember my friend having these and they were great, but it looks like they aren't being made anymore.

I'm p sure this is the person I ordered from back in 2015: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MagnificentMeeples?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=285485829

Yeah this looks like it. It came pre-assembled in the shipping box back then.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 24, 2020

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nice, thank you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Every time I see the title Too Many Bones I sing it in my head to the tune of Too Many Cooks

I'm honestly real glad that I'm not the only one who does this! :D

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Both seem fairly trivial to make at home: one is folded cardboard, the other is laminated paper.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I shotgunned some video games and posted in the steam thread. Some felt like board games, so I'm going to cross post those for anyone interested in scratching the board game itch on Steam sale.

Gremlins Inc - Digital board game. Kind of a roll to move, but with card/hand management. Basically you always have 6 cards in hand,, and you use them either for movement or to play at specific locations on the board for points. I brute forced learning through a game instead of a tutorial and got there. It was a bit longer than I would like due the the nature of the cards and there being like 11 places on the board to use cards. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. Its not a bad riff on a Monopoly like.

Blood Bowl 2 - I enjoy board games. Never played Blood Bowl, but I've heard of it. Basically fantasy football with tongue in check humor. Brute forced learning with a quick wiki check after a game. The UI could be better at displaying useful information, but seems like a decent enough adaptation. Much more simple than I assumed, so worth a check if you want some board game sports in your life.

Wildermyth - Roguelike SRPG plus light map manipulation with a CYOA ish story. Haven't finished a whole campaign yet after many hours, so I'm not sure how divergent each campaign is. The combat feels a lot better than its simplicity would lead you to believe. There are some fun things you can do, especially with the magic system. Basically your mages have to connect with objects on the map to cast spells from those objects. Think Geomancer from Final Fantasy Tactics. The CYOA and map movement is cute and charming, which is notable because I typically don't care at all for it.

Armello - This is basically Mage Knight the board game with animals and some more take that and luck. I wish the games were like a quarter shorter. There is a bit too much luck involved to want to play long sessions, but there is enough game and charm there to appreciate a competitive tactical adventure game. There are loot boxes for different dice that is nice but ignorable.

Super Dungeon Tactics - reminds me a lot of Arcadia Quest the board game. A srpg where each character has a small number of skills. That allows the units to feel unique. Presentation may not be the best but it was like 2.50. Definitely worth it for that.

Also there are a ton of designer board games on steam that get no fanfare.
Agricola
Le Havre
Battlelore
Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Lords of Water deep
Istanbul
Isle of Skype
Takenoko
Paperback
Aeon's End
Yellow and Yangtze
Flash Point
Terra Mystical
Raiders of the North Sea

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is the Gloomhaven video game any good? I keep eyeing it. Don't need to play the coop, that's what tabletop sim is for. Just wanna know how the solo is. How does the guildmaster mode work?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I have only played a little bit, but it is ugly and the UI is horrendous. The missions do feel like a bit smaller in scope from what I saw. I consider that a good thing. It has a long way to go. I wouldn't like recommend it, but I think there is enough there to justify a purchase if already looking at it. Just do so with the caveats that it is very much in early access and there are only like 7 classes thus far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just hope they finish out the planned roadmap because it has a lot of potential. As of now it's not quite worth getting yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I tried Trials of Fire because it seemed like it'd scratch the same itch, but it wasn't quite there. Maybe I'll get it to support the game I hope it can be, and try out the game it is.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Hell, I wish Armello was even half as good as Mage Knight. I might have played it more than once then.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the Gloomhaven video game any good? I keep eyeing it. Don't need to play the coop, that's what tabletop sim is for. Just wanna know how the solo is. How does the guildmaster mode work?

Guildmaster mode is essentially a progression system for unlocking new classes/items. It's a replacement for the actual GH campaign (since that's the last thing they will add when the game goes out of EA). You essentially go on random missions to earn gold/xp and unlock classes/items/enhancements. It's good at what it's meant to be: an excuse to play through randomly generated combat scenarios and make all your numbers go up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Very happy nerd tonight.

Soooooo I'm def going to need to pickup a few bags to keep all the individual race components together. Absolutely monstrous box.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Infinitum posted:

Very happy nerd tonight.

Soooooo I'm def going to need to pickup a few bags to keep all the individual race components together. Absolutely monstrous box.

I just got this too. And it's been real fun so far!

I ended up grabbing this

https://www.customgamebits.com/collections/game-organisers/products/twilight-imperium-4-compatible-bit-minder

It's a preassembled insert that's fairly cheap! And it makes setup real quick, and each race has their own box.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 25, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's not a bad price point hey, cheers for that.

I was going to look into getting some foam core over the holidays and taking a look at a few of my games that could benefit from it.
If that doesn't pan out, I'll grab that.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

nordichammer posted:

I have only played a little bit, but it is ugly and the UI is horrendous. The missions do feel like a bit smaller in scope from what I saw. I consider that a good thing. It has a long way to go. I wouldn't like recommend it, but I think there is enough there to justify a purchase if already looking at it. Just do so with the caveats that it is very much in early access and there are only like 7 classes thus far.

This isn’t true at all. As of the most recent update, every class is in the game except for Saw, Circles, and Angry Face. The UI has improved dramatically, and the scenarios have a lot more variability.

The game is easier because all looted gold is shared, you can respec whenever you want, and high prosperity items are oddly available early on. But it definitely feels like Gloomhaven and is much smoother to play than TTS. I can play through an entire scenario in under an hour.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I passed on gloomhaven so far because it looked like a turn of the century pc game, very dark and brown.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Very happy nerd tonight.

Next time goons have to face is Dracula in Space?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just learned that Peter Donnelly, designer of Mystic Wood and Sorcerer's Cave, passed in September. He left boardgame design for computer games in the early 1980s but stayed peripherally in touch with the hobby; BGG learned of his death when someone noticed he hadn't responded to a couple of threads in a while. Sorcerer's Cave was one of the first "non-classic" boardgames I was bought as a kid, along with TSR's Dungeon! and Standard's Samurai Blades, so it's a bit mournful for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nordichammer posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

I just hope they finish out the planned roadmap because it has a lot of potential. As of now it's not quite worth getting yet.

Trip report: Got the game, and it's... fine? The UI is functional (though I think the 'default card action' buttons are a bit small), and the graphics are nice enough. I do wish there was a way to speed up the animations, though. This is really going to start to drag once the novelty wears off.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mr. Squishy posted:

Both seem fairly trivial to make at home: one is folded cardboard, the other is laminated paper.

Get a load of this guy who's never seen the Too Many Bones components

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Had a great haul (mostly refilling gaps in the shelf created when we moved away from our old gaming group) but holiday gaming has got me wondering:

Who is the worse player - the one that wings dice across the room like they’re at the World Series or the one that has never seen a human being hold cards and instead forms some kind of spider claw to hold them, bending them in many strange and interesting ways while not managing to hide any of them?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm trying very hard not to pick up this copy Champions of Midgard: Jarl Edition, even though it is heavily discounted, because I have a bit of a backlog now..

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

Had a great haul (mostly refilling gaps in the shelf created when we moved away from our old gaming group) but holiday gaming has got me wondering:

Who is the worse player - the one that wings dice across the room like they’re at the World Series or the one that has never seen a human being hold cards and instead forms some kind of spider claw to hold them, bending them in many strange and interesting ways while not managing to hide any of them?
I had to tell a friend to stop death gripping my $25 imported Tarocco Piemontese so I'm gonna go with that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

I admittedly used to be the former - although I've moved away from such tendencies, the last few years. But I always made up for it by rolling an uncanny amount of double-sixes*, though! :D (My friends don't play dice games with me anymore :( )

Also, I've come into possession of an $80AUD voucher for Games World. So if any Aus goons (paging Infinitum and co.) have any game ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it, since I have no idea what to get! (Here's my BGG collection, for anyone who's really keen. I haven't bothered adding in expansions, mind you)
Bonus points if it's good for two-player and isn't super heavy, since I'll probably try and play it with my partner at least a little.

* Or whatever else it is, that I happen to need at the time

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fort might be up your alley, as you seem to enjoy card games. It's a self contained drafting game and I really like it. Only managed to get it to the table twice due to ~rona~ but there is and official TTS module if you'd like to trial it.

https://www.gamesworld.com.au/product/fort/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Fort once and would play it again, but the whole “if you don’t use a card it can be stolen by other players” mechanic made it tough to strategize. Sample size of 1 play, though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Got a lot of plays of Res Arcana and expansion in this week and it's a top tier tableau/engine builder. It's as smooth as Race but easier to teach and completely different feeling since it's traditional card play with resource generation/income phases as opposed to role selection.

It does so much right that I'm thinking of getting rid of Gaia Project because this hits the same notes of everything I like in GP with 1/4 the teach and like 1/8th the play time. It's all about turning a handful of resources into more while figuring out the right order of actions to get the most out of a round with the temptation of passing early for choice of a bonus tile for the next round. The points race aspect is where the interaction comes in (aside from some minor resource attacking) because if you just try to build too much of an engine you'll get left behind, much like Race or Dominion.

It's really really good.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 26, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Root kicks rear end

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Bought myself A Feast For Odin back in like September, and gave it to my kid to give to me as a Christmas present. Unwrapped it today and she had added The Norwegians expansion! Spent some time reading rules for both to see if I should just combine them now, or at least play one round of vanilla.

Wife got me Air, Land and Sea (it was on my list) and it's really cool! It's a 2-player strategy card game. There are 18 cards, but you only ever play with 12 (six each) at a time. Most cards have small bonuses to them that either happen when played or persist until dealt with. Any two of them can mix together to create really interesting synergies, or they can just be junk you have to plan around. I can see it sitting on the kitchen table for a couple weeks for covid lunch game breaks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fischtick posted:

Bought myself A Feast For Odin back in like September, and gave it to my kid to give to me as a Christmas present. Unwrapped it today and she had added The Norwegians expansion! Spent some time reading rules for both to see if I should just combine them now, or at least play one round of vanilla.

Combine them, I've never played base Odin.
:hellyeah:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Fort might be up your alley, as you seem to enjoy card games. It's a self contained drafting game and I really like it. Only managed to get it to the table twice due to ~rona~ but there is and official TTS module if you'd like to trial it.

https://www.gamesworld.com.au/product/fort/

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I played Fort once and would play it again, but the whole “if you don’t use a card it can be stolen by other players” mechanic made it tough to strategize. Sample size of 1 play, though

Excellent, thanks guys! Looks good - I'll check if it's in stock at the GW near me, then give it a look.

Thanks again

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Combine them, I've never played base Odin.
:hellyeah:

I have played base Odin, but I'll second this. Like Orleans, it's a good game perfected by the expansion.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

I have played base Odin, but I'll second this. Like Orleans, it's a good game perfected by the expansion.

It's been over a year since I've last played TI and I'm honestly considering just picking up Prophecy of Kings to combine them both for the first play through with my set.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Impressed my mom with Azul this year. She is hard to please with any game that isn’t Euchre so I call it a win.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Got a lot of plays of Res Arcana and expansion in this week and it's a top tier tableau/engine builder. It's as smooth as Race but easier to teach and completely different feeling since it's traditional card play with resource generation/income phases as opposed to role selection.

It does so much right that I'm thinking of getting rid of Gaia Project because this hits the same notes of everything I like in GP with 1/4 the teach and like 1/8th the play time. It's all about turning a handful of resources into more while figuring out the right order of actions to get the most out of a round with the temptation of passing early for choice of a bonus tile for the next round. The points race aspect is where the interaction comes in (aside from some minor resource attacking) because if you just try to build too much of an engine you'll get left behind, much like Race or Dominion.

It's really really good.

Italicized is the problem for us :). You have to play it a ton to really get what's there out and our group won't do that for a card game. On the other hand, to play GP a couple of times a month would be a much better received choice. Your group seems to play specific games a lot, which is awesome. My group not so much, especially because I can't help chasing the new and shiny.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Thinking of getting Pandemic Legacy Season 0 for my in-laws. Without spoilers, does the theme take a similar turn like season 1 with the Faded zombies or does it maintain the spy theme throughout the campaign?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Played Pax Pamir 2E last night with my roommates. Fourth person ducked out so it was the three of us. I knew going in that it was a different thinking space than most games, but whoa, that game is weird in how you have to manage things. Two of us got into a murder war over cards and only realized after the fact that card murder isn't all that great or efficient, and we misplayed at least three different rules since nobody ruled regions for most of the game because of that.

I want to play it again with the added insight that your tableau is fluid. You only can ever have three non-political cards at any time, and need to swap those out as people change the favored suit. Using the forced discard can eliminate enemy spies which can be a huge swing in ways that we didn't realize on our first play.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

djfooboo posted:

Impressed my mom with Azul this year. She is hard to please with any game that isn’t Euchre so I call it a win.

Azul is a great mom gift game. My mom loves Azul and Patchwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Codeacious posted:

Played Pax Pamir 2E last night with my roommates. Fourth person ducked out so it was the three of us. I knew going in that it was a different thinking space than most games, but whoa, that game is weird in how you have to manage things. Two of us got into a murder war over cards and only realized after the fact that card murder isn't all that great or efficient, and we misplayed at least three different rules since nobody ruled regions for most of the game because of that.

I want to play it again with the added insight that your tableau is fluid. You only can ever have three non-political cards at any time, and need to swap those out as people change the favored suit. Using the forced discard can eliminate enemy spies which can be a huge swing in ways that we didn't realize on our first play.

I played it with my girlfriend and her family last night, so we have relatable situations. It was a lot to explain the game to the family, it went OK, mistakes were made, but it's such a delightfully complex and difficult game. Choosing how to spend your actions is hard, and I agree that the more you play, the more you realize how crucial taking advantage of suit favoring is.

It's also gorgeous to look at.