Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

site posted:

Ugh, IPA is the sacred liquid? Gross

I hate Wolverine now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #24 (1941)

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #1 (1962)

Spidey Super Stories #22 (1977)

Venom: The Madness #3 (1994)

Web of Spider-Man #2 (2010)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Avengers get all the best knock off CBS reporters

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have a hard time believing anyone would care if it's the real wonder man and not an imposter.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Marvel Action: Chillers #3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sad part is, before we started worrying about skin cancer the suit used to have UV lights on the inside to help maintain Tony's tan.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Begemot posted:

I like that Iron Dracula has fangs, the same way that Iron Jonah had the mustache.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fangs, nothing. the cape appears to be integrated into the suit!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

I like that Iron Dracula has fangs, the same way that Iron Jonah had the mustache.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fangs, nothing. the cape appears to be integrated into the suit!

I like the implication that the suit morphs to the features of the wearer, because alternatively Dracula stopped to modify the helmet and fashion a suitable cape.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Dracula knows the importance of accessorizing.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Dracula is nothing if not extra.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Filthy Haiku posted:

Dracula is nothing if not extra.

Such fangs, much cape.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Begemot posted:

Is the title of this story Blood and Iron? Please tell me it's Blood and Iron.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I have a hard time believing anyone would care if it's the real wonder man and not an imposter.

Wonder Man had been dead for 15 years at that point and then just exploded out of something during a press conference to accuse the Avengers of killing him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Wonder Man had been dead for 15 years at that point and then just exploded out of something during a press conference to accuse the Avengers of killing him.

Yeah, still having a hard time believing anyone would care.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Argue posted:

Is the title of this story Blood and Iron? Please tell me it's Blood and Iron.

unfortunately the individual issues don't have titles, the whole thing is just "Marvel Action: Chillers"

Begemot did crop out the bottom of that last panel, which has a little text box saying "NEXT TIME: IRON DRACULA!"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Infinitum posted:

I like the implication that the suit morphs to the features of the wearer, because alternatively Dracula stopped to modify the helmet and fashion a suitable cape.

Confirmed in The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015) #2

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lama #2 (1945)

Fantastic Four #28 (1964)

Power Man #60 (1979)

Spider-Man Team-Up #5 (1996)

Alpha: Big Time #1 (2013)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man Team-Up #5 (1996)

Is that the infamous Elf With A Gun?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

The_Other posted:

Confirmed in The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015) #2

Looks less like a squirrel tail and more like a bee abdomen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phy posted:

Is that the infamous Elf With A Gun?

That issue is legit bananas. Steve Gerber wrote it as kind of a "greatest hits" thing, revisiting some of his popular stuff from the 70's. Oh, and it made it part of a TMNT and Savage Dragon crossover; the Ringmaster on the page has just been woken up by the Turtles causing a car wreck outside his window. That would have been cute, except Gerber took that issue as his opportunity to burn every bridge he had and wrote in the story that the real Howard the Duck escaped Marvel to Image and was replaced with a clone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

That issue is legit bananas. Steve Gerber wrote it as kind of a "greatest hits" thing, revisiting some of his popular stuff from the 70's. Oh, and it made it part of a TMNT and Savage Dragon crossover; the Ringmaster on the page has just been woken up by the Turtles causing a car wreck outside his window. That would have been cute, except Gerber took that issue as his opportunity to burn every bridge he had and wrote in the story that the real Howard the Duck escaped Marvel to Image and was replaced with a clone.

I absolutely don't blame him for that at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, that's not really much different than Kieron Gillen killing off his version of Loki to put a cap on that run and make a clean break between his run and whatever someone else did with the character.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Dang, I totally forgot the Turtles were in the Destroyer Duck/Savage Dragon crossover.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2011/01/savage-dragondestroyer-duck-1.html?m=1

I own a page from Erik Larsen’s Defenders run and the Elf with a gun makes another (off-panel) cameo.

E: here’s the art page I own. Inks by Sal Buscema, pencils by Erik Larsen.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 25, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, that's not really much different than Kieron Gillen killing off his version of Loki to put a cap on that run and make a clean break between his run and whatever someone else did with the character.

It’s a lot different. Gillen didn’t write a Loki book for Image where he comes out of the same building that Marvel’s Loki disappeared in, and go “I’m glad I escaped that universe, and left that impostor behind to distract them.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, but did anyone not named Steve Gerber really give a gently caress about Howard the Duck in 1996? Like was anyone at Marvel actually upset about it? George Lucas kinda destroyed making Howard the Duck a cultural icon like a decade earlier.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Disney did. I think this was shortly before the “Gotta give Howard pants” lawsuit. A lawsuit where Chip Zdarsky got the final word on after Disney bought Marvel, and Chip took away the pants, saying “What are they gonna do? Sue themselves?”

Steve Gerber would be back in 2002 for the Howard the Duck Marvel Max series with the mouse cover taking a shot at Disney, so nobody was too mad about the Destroyer Duck fiasco.

I haven’t read a ton of the Gerber Howard series, but the “Vote Howard in ‘76” button is my more obtainable desire next to getting a MMMS membership card. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get one on EBay, but I’d rather hunt it down in person when conventions are a thing again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but did anyone not named Steve Gerber really give a gently caress about Howard the Duck in 1996? Like was anyone at Marvel actually upset about it? George Lucas kinda destroyed making Howard the Duck a cultural icon like a decade earlier.

Advocates of creator’s rights cared about the situation, and Larsen cared enough to give Gerber the opportunity too.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 25, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Chip took away the pants

He took more. He took it all

:nws: :nws: :nws:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

In 2015 I asked at a Marvel panel what their pitches would be for a new What If? series. Chip, at his first Marvel panel, suggested ugly Captain America. Would he be as influential a leader if he had a face only a mother could love? Big laughs all around.

Later on in Howard the Duck, there’s a story involving the nexus of all realities. In a glimpse of several alternate realities is a glimpse of a pug ugly Captain America.

Same convention I asked Chip about the fortieth anniversary of Howard’s first presidential bid. He didn’t want to retread it, but said his running mate would totally be She Hulk. After four years of Trump, I’d love to see the universe of President the Duck and Vice President Walters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

After four years of Trump, I’d love to see the universe of President the Duck and Vice President Walters.

I agree and strongly suspect I'll still agree in another four years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gwenpool Holiday Special

also Gwenpool Holiday Special

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the idea of an evil accountant who wears a business suit under his supervillain armor to be hilarious. The old G.I. Joe comics had some really interesting world-building.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

SimonChris posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the idea of an evil accountant who wears a business suit under his supervillain armor to be hilarious. The old G.I. Joe comics had some really interesting world-building.

They really did. Larry Hama is a beast of a writer. He took a "Buy our crap!"-purposed comic book and made it legitimately good to read. He made this patently absurd material somehow simultaneously serious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ManiacClown posted:

They really did. Larry Hama is a beast of a writer. He took a "Buy our crap!"-purposed comic book and made it legitimately good to read. He made this patently absurd material somehow simultaneously serious.

Seriously. GI Joe #34, the one on one sky duel between Ace and Wild Weasel, is one of my favorite single issue stories of any comic book. https://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe34.shtml

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Priest is currently writing a U.S. Agent limited series that introduced an old guy named Morrie Watanabe who is none-too-subtly a sort of parody of/homage to Larry Hama. It's pretty funny overall.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Thing! #5 (1952)

Not Brand Echh #6 (1968)

Damage Control #3 (1990)

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #18 (2002)

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #5 (2017)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

(R.E.B.E.L.s #15)

If I had a nickel for every time I said that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Not Brand Echh seems really goofy and fun, kind of like the Unglued and Unhinged Magic expansions, if anyone gets that deep nerd reference. Are they worth finding to read through?