Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Have they done similar sendoff arrangements for the other expansions?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bruceski posted:

Have they done similar sendoff arrangements for the other expansions?

The other ones were actually prior to release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtuwltmTp9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQm76wFfKk

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Whose retainer is Queefadilla on Excal? Sell me those calf leathers so I can glam it up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

MechaX posted:

I'm sorry, Shadowbringers had another theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDw2Gfg-IU

Massive MSQ Shadowbringers (up to the end of 5.3) spoilers for that vid, SE even warns you themselves in the intro.

i like these because, they make me cry, a lot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kerrzhe posted:

This is the Shadowbringers theme, to me (pre-ShB don't look at replies)

https://twitter.com/DailyFFSongs/status/1306691455847510016

I was just relistening to this while working on my GOTY post and man...

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is the Shadowbringers theme, to me (pre-ShB don't look at replies)

https://twitter.com/DailyFFSongs/status/1306691455847510016

what is that from? FF3?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

what is that from? FF3?

Yes. It was included in FFXIV during the conclusion to the Crystal Tower story, and it's used as a leitmotif in a few places in Shadowbringers as well.

Kerrzhe posted:

The rule has been amended. The times when it is acceptable for a man to cry in public are: the birth of their children, the funeral of an immediate family member, the ending of Jurassic Bark, and at several points during Shadowbringers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darn, I'd found those but I was hoping for more ending ones. The high-quality music is wonderful, but the trailers have to avoid showing the actual emotional beats and just allude to them. Things like the lyrics after 3:20 (after the piano shows off for a minute) simply can't be done at the start of an expansion.

That arrangement for TaT is simply beautiful.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the magic dps role quest in shadowbringers is very moving. i just got to the end of it and i was very satisfied with the payoff.

it's crazy to me that an mmo has a better and more engaging story than most story-based rpgs, even though you don't really get any agency. shadowbringers has been very good so far, although its kind of a bummer that the patch notes banner on the launcher spoiled a pretty big character arc for me

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think the DDR thing is 999k damage if you let the meter fill up, which will happen if you don't have at least most (possibly all) covered. So 8?

Nah, it only sends x orbs at a time, where x is the number of players in the instance. Presumably this is because they didn't want you to get totally screwed over if someone DCed, but it makes it fine to have fewer than eight.

Six should certainly be doable, I'd bet you could manage four if everyone is on point. It will of course be slower, though.

ETA: For comparison, in 5.3 Shinryu EX was duoable by a tank and healer, though just barely (required dying to farm echo stacks to beat the enrage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1idDWocOmFs. Shinryu EX was i320 vs i370 for Suzaku Ex, so you'd maybe need 50% more dps to beat enrage? (In fact I see 20k rdps Shinryu kills and 27k rdps Suzaku kills on fflogs from when the fights were current.) So that suggests three should be doable pretty easily as long as the mechanics can be survived.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 25, 2020

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the magic dps role quest in shadowbringers is very moving. i just got to the end of it and i was very satisfied with the payoff.

it's crazy to me that an mmo has a better and more engaging story than most story-based rpgs, even though you don't really get any agency. shadowbringers has been very good so far, although its kind of a bummer that the patch notes banner on the launcher spoiled a pretty big character arc for me

I have enjoyed most of the role quest stories. The physical DPS one didn't do much for me, but tank and heal were good too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The healer one was clearly the best, but the tank and magic dps ones were also good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The main problem with the physical DPS role questline is really the main NPC for it. Everything that's not him is really interesting and compelling for what it's trying to do, but he's just an annoying rear end in a top hat.

It also suffers a little bit from giving you too much information about Renda-Rae. It's a story that has a lot of potential in being a hunt and a mystery, but they show all their cards way too quickly through Echo flashbacks, so most of the story is just you waiting for the characters to figure out what you already know.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
He sucks, but the plotline is partly about how he sucks, so I'm not worried about that. It just doesn't resonate with me.

I will never understand AST seals. A while back I was confused about why I sometimes didn't get them, and people explained that you have to be in combat, which makes sense. I thought I understood then. But I'm in MSQR right now and WHILE IN COMBAT I already had one seal, and then I drew (drew, not assigned) a new card and I watched the seal I already had disappear. What the gently caress?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Phys DPS boy loves his grandma, can't fault him for that :colbert: He's a good boy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Reading white mage guides getting ready to try healing for the first time

poo poo's scary!

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

poo poo's scary!

It's very fun. It is however nerve wracking until you embrace that folks are probably gonna overestimate your ability and kick the bucket. Everyone is usually p nice about it tho. Just throw a "hey im new at this" in the chat at the start and folks are very accepting and will *sometimes* go slower

White mage is honestly the most fun I have with this game sometimes

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Blockhouse posted:

poo poo's scary!

I will add that it feels a LOT like herding cats or toddlers. It's definitely my favorite class to play, and it can be super fun, but depending on how fast the Tank is going and how goofy your DPS players are, it can definitely feel like trying to manage a bunch of toddlers. "don't step in the....did you just pull all all...wait....don't go over...you know you're supposed to move when the....oh god...spam spam spam spam....phew..."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Blockhouse posted:

poo poo's scary!

If you are starting at level 1 you will have absolutely no problem. In fact, you will mostly be bored because you are just casting Cure. Use your downtime to help kill things.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The most important things about playing WHM :
- Cure 1 (and Freecure) is a trap. Use your Lucid Dreaming (and later Assize and Thin Air) and you will never run out of MP. Spending two GCDs to do the same amount of healing as one GCD with another spell is a bad deal.
- Cure 2 is your emergency heal. As you start out, every instance of "oh no, someone is dying" will be an emergency, so definitely use it if you have to, but as you gain more healing options, you want to use those first. Don't sit on the better heals for "emergencies" that either never happen, or only become emergencies *because* you didn't use your other tools. (Possible exception: If the tank is a Dark Knight, maybe wait for them to use Living Dead before you use Benediction, because topping them off without it sucks. )
- Holy IS a healing spell in Dungeons. 7+ seconds of no incoming damage every pull is huge.
- Always Be Casting, but that applies to all classes, not just healers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blockhouse posted:

poo poo's scary!

If you're really that nervous just queue with friends until you feel you've learned your buttons.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Another thing to note is that your primary goal as a healer is to ensure that everyone makes it through the content without *avoidable* deaths (a dps dying because they got x10 vulnerability stacks is probably unavoidable; a tank dying in a pull because you fat fingered something is avoidable). Doing DPS is a close second but you’ll learn when and how much to do this when you get more comfortable with your primary goal.

Another way to express this is that not every death is the healer’s fault.

There’s only so much that a healer can mitigate and you’ll see soon that it really is a group effort in tackling content. If a tank has paper armor and wants to pull the entire dungeon, or if the tank wall pulls but the dps aren’t aoeing at all (this will inevitably drain your own resources), these are examples of things where you shouldn’t have to take the blame for the wipe *just* because you heal.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i hadnt played healer in an mmo until i tried white mage in this, but ive ended up really enjoying it

the best line in all of shadowbringers so far

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Cleretic posted:

It also suffers a little bit from giving you too much information about Renda-Rae. It's a story that has a lot of potential in being a hunt and a mystery, but they show all their cards way too quickly through Echo flashbacks, so most of the story is just you waiting for the characters to figure out what you already know.

Yeah, I noticed that the dialogue in general also seemed to go out of its way to overexplain everything, in one of those "okay, we will now explicitly describe to you the thing you just watched happen" kind of way. I wonder if they designed that quest series first, and then decided for the others that they didn't need to be so ham-fisted and just never did a rewrite pass on the physical DPS one, or if, as I joked to my friend at the time, they have certain opinions about the type of people who play physical DPS as their main.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Given the gulf between the physical DPS quests and the other three, it honestly does seem like they wrote that one first

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Just finished 5.0 MSQ. It was good and I liked it. Maybe not as much as everyone else seems to though - I preferred Heavensward's story and Stormblood's setting. Parts were tedious or just like, a bit much. But there was also a lot I really liked about it.

Didn't care for Ryne at all. The other characters were generally pretty good, surprisingly so in some cases. And yeah, healer quest was pretty fantastic. Is there even a point to doing the job-specific quest at the end? Doesn't seem like you get an ability or anything from it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

rujasu posted:

Just finished 5.0 MSQ. It was good and I liked it. Maybe not as much as everyone else seems to though - I preferred Heavensward's story and Stormblood's setting. Parts were tedious or just like, a bit much. But there was also a lot I really liked about it.

Didn't care for Ryne at all. The other characters were generally pretty good, surprisingly so in some cases. And yeah, healer quest was pretty fantastic. Is there even a point to doing the job-specific quest at the end? Doesn't seem like you get an ability or anything from it.

The level 80 job quests are mostly for fun and catching up with the characters after an expansion spent adventuring elsewhere. Many of the 80 job quests also make permanent (but very minor) changes to the world, such moving an NPC or two around.

And how dare you talk down to my daughter, she's trying to make the best of a bad situation!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

rujasu posted:

You have to finish at least one for the MSQ, that part where you have to visit not-Gerolt in his underwater hideout. They also unlock the 5.0 relic gear from that same NPC.

Otherwise it's just for the story, and there's even more if you finish all of them!

e: Oh, the job quests, not the role quests. I think those are just for flavor, and they also give you an achievement and a title.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 25, 2020

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Thundarr posted:

The level 80 job quests are mostly for fun and catching up with the characters after an expansion spent adventuring elsewhere. Many of the 80 job quests also make permanent (but very minor) changes to the world, such moving an NPC or two around.

And how dare you talk down to my daughter, she's trying to make the best of a bad situation!

The dancer L80 is great since you ... finally get to do some dancing!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The sam 80 job quest is best since it has That Roe From The Boat taking remedial lessons in "how to be a proper samurai" forever.

A lot of them are pretty good really.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The Fast and the Flarious

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thundarr posted:

The sam 80 job quest is best since it has That Roe From The Boat taking remedial lessons in "how to be a proper samurai" forever.

A lot of them are pretty good really.

Just the other day I noticed that you can find him training with some kids in Kugane after that :allears:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

rujasu posted:

You should try out the ShB normal raid series Eden and see if that changes your view of Ryne. You can start it by talking to the Anxious Crystarium Guard in the Crystarium.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

rujasu posted:

Is there even a point to doing the job-specific quest at the end? Doesn't seem like you get an ability or anything from it.

Beyond what the others said, you're going to have to do them anyway come next expansion, since I would expect the next set of job/role/whatever-they-do-this-time quests to be gated behind doing the level 80 job quest.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Any tips for a brand new dancer? I assume the default hotbar is hot garbage and will need to total tear down and reconstruct?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://saltedxiv.com/dnc

no clue what the default bar order looked like but i imagine it was terrible yes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

hazardousmouse posted:

Any tips for a brand new dancer? I assume the default hotbar is hot garbage and will need to total tear down and reconstruct?

standard step is a 1000 potency nuke where you're standing

congratulations, you're now better than 85% of all DNC players

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hazardousmouse posted:

I'll get a screanshot of my set up for you in a bit but it's, almost fine? You just wanna cluster the Single Tagets and AoE stuff in their own little sets.

DNC is easy. You standard step, pop flourish, technical step, pop Devilment ( your Crit/DHit buff for you and partner) then just unload all your poo poo. Always Fan Dance 3 priority then just GCD, Fan Dance (Double weave fan 3 if it procs), repeat during your burst giving Saber Dance a huge priority and do not let it overcap.

Outside of your damage window you want to hold onto your fans to overlap them with party buffs so let 3 stack up and press fan dance 1(+3) when you hit 4 so you don't over cap and waste damage.

Ideally your Tech step (and thus devilment cause they are both 2 mins cds) will overlap with Trick attack and/or wildfire or the like if you standard step pre-pull and do it and technical step off cool down.

Flourish (which gives you a free proc of your tier 2 attacks both single and aoe) should be used off cooldwon ever minute, whihce means your basic rotation outside of procs is just Standard->Flourish->technical->devilment->Standard->->standard->Flourish->Standard-> back to start (Pressing GCDs between all of those of course).

You should have Standard's damage buff up 100% easily and if you prioritize Technical step above all (and make sure your party is in range during it) you're basically set to be top 20% DNC.

OH and I know the class is ranged but stay at max melee near your partner. Half your flourish procs are AoE circles centered on you so you have to be near the target and being near your partner lets you overlap curing waltz to get double the healer on both of you.

Your steps and Flourish should always been on cooldown, makes sure they overlap with other damage buffs (Which is easy if you just do the opener and rotation I described) and always be pushing buttons and not letting meters hit 100 or get 4 feathers.

I used to use the numpad for the bits on the right there but I've since upgrade to a true loser MMO mouse with the 12 buttons on the side.

I recommend having having the solo target poo poo in order next to one another because they become the dance buttons and then mirror the AoE above them cause then for flourish I can just hit Ctrl+3 and Crtl-4 then 3 4 real fast.

Aside, check out how cute my new Aiming glam is:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't use Standard Dance for 4+ targets, other than to refresh the buff. The damage falloff makes it weaker than your basic AOE attacks. That's a tip that's not immediately obvious. On dungeon pulls you can start dancing while the tank is pulling and then finish when they get all the mobs rounded up.