Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't make number one, but at least the BBC had to acknowledge it exists

e: Between 1492 and 1504, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus was a loving oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Horses are fine. Horse riders should be kept away from at all times.

Decent in the sack though, good pelvic floor.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

show your arse to the queen imo, it is traditional :butt:

You should just boo her just like when Trump comes on during home alone 2

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

crispix posted:

show your arse to the queen imo, it is traditional :butt:

What the gently caress has she done to deserve the pleasure?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Whatever you do, do not spread. It turns a bit of harmless fun into an explicit and uncomfortable act.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably not the fault of the fat. As an experienced fucker-up of yorkshire puds, I'll talk you through the autopsy:

If the whole thing just didn't rise, or didn't rise much, but browned properly, leaving you with a thick pancake, you either didn't get enough air into it when you whipped it or you made the batter too thick. One trick I find that makes it a bit easier to hit the sweet spot is to use half milk/half water instead of milk.

If it rose a bit and browned but tasted stodgy like a dumpling, you made the batter too thin, over-whipped it, or didn't leave it to stand long enough (some people claim multiple hours, but 20 minutes should be more than enough) and the flour didn't bind properly, letting all the air out before it had a chance to set. This also commonly happens if you open the oven too early or the oven just can't reach full temperature. Weirdly using a little less flour and liquid (so there's a bigger ratio of egg in the mix) can help you avoid this if you've just got a crap slow oven.

If the top of it exploded out and browned or even started to burn leaving you with a stodgy bottom (especially one which sticks to the tray) you added too much batter to the tray or didn't have the oil hot enough when you put the batter in. This obviously is much more common when you're trying to make big ones, when (look the other way purists) it's acceptable to put a pinch of baking powder into the mix or use about 30% self-raising flour.

Yeah I assumed it'd be user error rather than the fat. I went for a single big pud and cooked it in a frying pan (in the oven of course), it browned nicely and bubbled out in several spots, but was generaly flat. It wasn't stodgy, a thick pancake is definitely how I'd describe it, and the crust of it was quite firm and solid. No sticking.
I did use half and half liquids, but I also used strong bread flour cos that's all I had so that must have had some effect. I'm guessing that caused the firmer, crunchier texture? and also I only whipped it with a fork, so like you said I probably didn't get enough air into it. Oh and the oven was probably a bit too low cos it was in with other stuff. Thanks for the autopsy (aupudsy?), I was pretty pleased overall anyway!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

e: Between 1492 and 1504, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus was a loving oval office.

Music is in a pathetic state if two are old as the hills, two are covers of old as the hills songs, and the only original is a protest song.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Music is in a pathetic state if two are old as the hills, two are covers of old as the hills songs, and the only original is a protest song.

I think the singles charts are an outdated way of measuring music popularity. It's like measuring how many vhs tapes of a new film are sold or something.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Don't Stop Me Eatin rear end :newlol:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I still think one of the worst crimes against music was that lords prayer abomination by cliff richards

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

That sausage roll song last year was the nonciest loving thing

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jippa posted:

I think the singles charts are an outdated way of measuring music popularity. It's like measuring how many vhs tapes of a new film are sold or something.

I think they’re based off streams too, on a formula. Purchases are worth X, each stream is worth X/100 or whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

The Christmas chart is always full of novelty acts, the big thing that changed is that with Amazon/iTunes etc there's a whole lot of people buying music they've already got again because it's only 99p, whereas in the before times they'd buy 20 Christmas Classics on CD from Poundland and it wouldn't go on the singles chart.

It also seems there's been an echo of the effect in the US where 'Christmas music' is what boomers grew up with, so it's all from the 50s and 60s, but in this case it's millennials and the 80s and 90s.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

happyhippy posted:

Is this not because streaming is now factored in, so everyone having their Christmas play lists on repeat will be bumping up those numbers.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
OH GOD I AM STUFFED

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

therattle posted:

I’d much rather have ribs than turkey

Honestly it was much nicer and we’ve come to the conclusion we’ll likely do it again next year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just in case anyone needs to see this:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kaveman posted:

Is this not because streaming is now factored in, so everyone having their Christmas play lists on repeat will be bumping up those numbers.

Yeah my top 5 this week is probably just whatever shite comes up on Apple Music's Christmas playlist most often. Mariah Carey is the first song on it so that probably accounts for 60% of its chart success.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure all those bemoaning the censorship of Fairy Tale of New York will be writing just as many articles about how it is censorship to not play the song on every radio station constantly

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Merry Christmas comrades. Had to cancel the parents for obvious reasons, so had the first Christmas I’ve ever had without family (at age 39).

It’s been a good one. Cooked my first ever Christmas dinner (roast beef, garlic mashed sweet potatoes, cauli cheese and roasted sprouts+carrots) and it all came out okay/amazing, even with the beef being a bit more done than I normally like.

Got a friend across from Sheffield who’s in a similar boat to share the grub with, the fire is going and we’re all approaching a food stupor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deketh posted:

Yeah I assumed it'd be user error rather than the fat. I went for a single big pud and cooked it in a frying pan (in the oven of course), it browned nicely and bubbled out in several spots, but was generaly flat. It wasn't stodgy, a thick pancake is definitely how I'd describe it, and the crust of it was quite firm and solid. No sticking.
I did use half and half liquids, but I also used strong bread flour cos that's all I had so that must have had some effect. I'm guessing that caused the firmer, crunchier texture? and also I only whipped it with a fork, so like you said I probably didn't get enough air into it. Oh and the oven was probably a bit too low cos it was in with other stuff. Thanks for the autopsy (aupudsy?), I was pretty pleased overall anyway!

Yeah those big-pancake ones are actually pretty nice, I'm never sad when they come out like that.

In fact they're closer to the original Yorkshire pudding concept, which was a big one cooked fairly slowly at the bottom of the oven with fat dripping from the roast, with the idea you'd have it as a starter to fill you up on on nice cheap flour and eggs so you ate less of the expensive meat.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Experimenting with a beer can roast chicken tonight. Hope I don't gently caress it up!

^ NB for doing roasts and especially a meat thermometer is game changing. Also for steaks doing a reverse sear, where you get it to the right level of doneness in a not very hot oven and then crisp the outside over very high heat, is another game changer. So much easier.

E: chicken

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 25, 2020

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
dr who's on at new years this time. buggers

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

whereas in the before times they'd buy 20 Christmas Classics on CD from Poundland and it wouldn't go on the singles chart.

Speak for yourself, loser.
I have impeccable musical taste and would never stoop to buying novelty Christmas song shite. My musical taste is so good I'm listening to Mansun right now.

I did actually buy a novelty Christmas song this year, but my musical taste is so good, it was a vinyl import.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I did my part by using Spotify for the first time in forever to put that tune on a repeat for any time I had the PC on

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Quotey posted:

dr who's on at new years this time. buggers

To be fair OP, Doctor Who has been bad for a long time, so your not missing much

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

crispix posted:

I dunno Irish wolfhounds, or as they are known in Ireland, wolfhounds, are pretty big and scary looking

lovely temperaments though, in my experience

can eat as much as a small horse apparently

They're lovely but have no conception of how loving massive they are. Friends who lived on the farm had a pair,one used to always try and sit in my lap..

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
hehe all big dogs do that :)

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Catzilla posted:

To be fair OP, Doctor Who has been bad for a long time, so your not missing much

if the last 2 years cant take me out, i dont know what can

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

gently caress me I've eaten a lot of poppies

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i ate infinite sprouts :yum:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that big dogs are superior to small dogs.

Counterargument:

Also, they need to ask to get on your bed for a cuddle and are unlikely to break your femurs once they're up there, the amount of time it takes to get them dry after a rainy walk is measured in minutes rather than hours (or days), and they can't just put their paws on your kitchen counter and inhale your Sunday roast.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 25, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

:gas:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

crispix posted:

Same. I am become sprouts, destroyer of briefs.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've drank and ate enough that it feels like time for bed already.

Also based on the mix of red wine, coffee, and stout I've drank I'm expecting an extremely powerful movement in my near future.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I love them. One time a person who took exception to my vegetarianism was like YOU KNOW TO GET THE SAME IRON THAT'S IN A BEEF BURGER YOU'D HAVE TO EAT A WHEELBARROW OF SPROUTS and i was like "yes? present them" :hehe:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

I love them. One time a person who took exception to my vegetarianism was like YOU KNOW TO GET THE SAME IRON THAT'S IN A BEEF BURGER YOU'D HAVE TO EAT A WHEELBARROW OF SPROUTS and i was like "yes? present them" :hehe:

There are a lot of vegetables I could eat a bear-infinite amount of. Sprouts are one of them.
Wife and I have filthy colds. I don’t even feel like drinking.
Speaking of which, there is a brewery near me which does amazing ginger beer: normal beer with a shitload of ginger added. God, it’s delicious. I order online and then it’s about a 6-minute bike ride to collect it. They do deliver. It’s umbrella brewing.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I did my sprouts with carrots and bacon, and covered them in a mix of olive oil, honey, six cloves of garlic and some chilli flakes (same nuclear ones I use in the choc-chilli fudge), then bunged them in the oven.

They were loving sublime and now it’s like the second battle of Ypres in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Camrath posted:

They were loving sublime and now it’s like the second battle of Ypres in here.

That's a pub quiz reference and not a real thing people say and you can't convince me otherwise.